test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starfleet Uniforms from Star Trek: Countdown

sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
If there's one Starfleet unform variant I'd like to see made available on the C-store, it would be the ones from the Star Trek: Countdown prequel comic to the 2009 film.

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/a/a1/Countdown_Online_comparison.jpg

http://images.macworld.com/appguide/images/305/918/988/ss2.jpg

http://images.macworld.com/appguide/images/305/918/988/ss3.jpg

Apparently, this particular variant was actually in the Alpha version of STO, and was for some reason taken out.

The closest equivalent currently in-game is the Sierra 1, which has poorly detailed collars and an ugly strip of hexagonal plasticky fabric just under the shoulder area.

Thoughts?
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    If I had to guess, I'm thinking that they were probably pulled because they couldn't get the licensing from IDW Publishing, the owner of the comics. The Sierra 1 is probably Cryptic's non-infringing version.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd have a gander that bberge is right. After all, the 2009 uniforms are in the code, but not in the actual game.
  • Options
    suprcheesesuprcheese Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd have a gander that bberge is right. After all, the 2009 uniforms are in the code, but not in the actual game.
    Yeah, they're even called in the code, and I quote directly, "Star Trek 11 DO NOT USE!!!"
    :rolleyes:
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved with sufficient application of firepower.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    If there's one Starfleet unform variant I'd like to see made available on the C-store, it would be the ones from the Star Trek: Countdown prequel comic to the 2009 film.

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/a/a1/Countdown_Online_comparison.jpg

http://images.macworld.com/appguide/images/305/918/988/ss2.jpg

http://images.macworld.com/appguide/images/305/918/988/ss3.jpg

Apparently, this particular variant was actually in the Alpha version of STO, and was for some reason taken out.

The closest equivalent currently in-game is the Sierra 1, which has poorly detailed collars and an ugly strip of hexagonal plasticky fabric just under the shoulder area.

Thoughts?
    I like them, much more than most other Cryptics made uniforms.

They look simple and elegant, perfect.

Without Cryptics typical annoying little details like Metal plates, wierd looking plastic surface, strange color discrepances or their general habit of adding too much (ugly) details that ruins the look of a uniform/ship.

I am sure IF cryptic would add them, they surely would add some little thing that ruins the whole look of it, as they always do.

EDIT:
    Strangely i always thought them to be some dark grey, since i only know the first picture showing Captain Data.
    But seeing them in black makes them look really good, which is even stranger, since i never liked the early DS9/Voy or the First Contact movie uniform.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    alchemistidalchemistid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    suprcheese wrote: »
    Yeah, they're even called in the code, and I quote directly, "Star Trek 11 DO NOT USE!!!"
    :rolleyes:

That may be true, but that's because the franchise is effectively now split into two sub-franchises: Trek Classic and New Trek.

The uniforms in Countdown (which as an aside is an absolutely horrendous thing to call a comic tie-in, very much akin to calling a brand new luxury liner Titanic) are from the universe of Trek Classic, the licensing for them shouldn't be any harder to obtain than the various references to the Pocket Books continuities, such as Akaar and the Luna Class or the numerous references to Rihannsu and stuff from the Deep Space Nine books.

There was that long debacle with the Vesta, but that was mostly tied up negotiations between the designer and CBS/Cryptic. There shouldn't be nearly as much difficulty in obtaining the license to utilize a Starfleet uniform from a tie-in miniseries that is effectively recognized as canon.

And yeah, I'd prefer these over Sierra 1 as well. Much cleaner looking and a more believable evolution of the uniforms introduced in Star Trek First Contact.

As for Cryptic's propensity to overdecorate the player's attire, yeah, a lot of these uniforms are incredibly busy looking. Jupiter 5 for example looks like it has massive overall straps.

The Jupiter Veteran's probably the best and most future Starfleet looking uniform in the game IMHO, which is probably why you see increasing numbers of Starfleet NPC's sporting it. But only if you're willing to subscribe for over a year to get it. Or fork over 200+ in cash to get it immediately during a Lifetimer promotion.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

So if I understand correctly:
    - CBS laid out the common backstory of Data becoming Captain of the Ent-E, the Hobus supernova et al.
    - IDW's prequel tie-in to nuTrek was one interpretation
    - STO is another, independent interpretation

A bit of a shame, really. Guess I'll just have to stick with my Sierra Ones for now.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think in the Path to 2509 thing, they pretty much put the events in the prequel tie-in into the STO timeline/universe.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited March 2013

- CBS laid out the common backstory of Data becoming Captain of the Ent-E, the Hobus supernova et al.

A bit of a shame, really. Guess I'll just have to stick with my Sierra Ones for now.
    I don't quite understand where the problem lies.

Data is Captain of the Enterprise -E...
    Romulus is destroyed...

In my opinion this means the events (whatever happens in Countdown) do in fact occur previously to STO and so the countdown uniforms have a good chance to exist in STOs timeline.

I must emphasize that i really like these uniforms, i would give all Sierra and Antares uniforms for the Countdown uniform in exchange.

Personally i use Sierra 3 uniform as a substitute for the countdown uni. If you give the lower part (the paralbe) the same color as the main unifrom, i think it look much better than Sierra 1, but that's just my personal preference.

The only thing that bothers me is the colored sleeve, of course it shares the same color as the collar... well done cryptic, lol.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    I don't quite understand where the problem lies.

Data is Captain of the Enterprise -E...
    Romulus is destroyed...

In my opinion this means the events (whatever happens in Countdown) do in fact occur previously to STO and so the countdown uniforms have a good chance to exist in STOs timeline.

Yes, the events of the common backstory were shared by both Cryptic and IDW.

However, the specifics such as uniform design did not belong to CBS - Cryptic and IDW did their own artwork independently and separately, so that's where the licensing issues comes in.

The one way this could work is if CBS acquires the rights to the uniform design from IDW and then passes them on to Cryptic, possibly showcasing them as part of a one-off mission featuring the now-retired Captain Data. This, however, is highly unlikely given that Paramount now owns the rights to the TNG movies with the Ent-E, and the studios have deliberately held off any depiction of the ultimate fate of the Ent-E in case they wanted to do another Prime Trek series/film.
    yreodred wrote: »
    Personally i use Sierra 3 uniform as a substitute for the countdown uni. If you give the lower part (the paralbe) the same color as the main unifrom, i think it look much better than Sierra 1, but that's just my personal preference.

The only thing that bothers me is the colored sleeve, of course it shares the same color as the collar... well done cryptic, lol.

I too don't like the colored sleeves on the Sierra 3, as well as that delta region on the lower torso. I suspect the latter was an exaggerated throwback to the TNG season one uniforms, but I can't say I'd like it even if the colors were matched up.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The one way this could work is if CBS acquires the rights to the uniform design from IDW and then passes them on to Cryptic, possibly showcasing them as part of a one-off mission featuring the now-retired Captain Data. This, however, is highly unlikely given that Paramount now owns the rights to the TNG movies with the Ent-E, and the studios have deliberately held off any depiction of the ultimate fate of the Ent-E in case they wanted to do another Prime Trek series/film.

Like Paramount is going to do that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    aayorkriteaayorkrite Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It does seem like we may be in a "Tom Paris" vs "Nicholas Locarno" situation.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    However, the specifics such as uniform design did not belong to CBS - Cryptic and IDW did their own artwork independently and separately, so that's where the licensing issues comes in.

IDW's design was based on artwork Cryptic supplied them. At least one dev (Gozer) wore a custom jacket based on the design. It was used in early STO pre-Alpha and frequently in STO promotional artwork.

Cryptic's artist later decided he didn't like that design and altered it to create the Sierra 01 design.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    IDW's design was based on artwork Cryptic supplied them. At least one dev (Gozer) wore a custom jacket based on the design. It was used in early STO pre-Alpha and frequently in STO promotional artwork.

Cryptic's artist later decided he didn't like that design and altered it to create the Sierra 01 design.

I don't like either one.....
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Like Paramount is going to do that. :rolleyes:

Exactly, given that they had since then already moved on to JJ Trek.
    aayorkrite wrote: »
    It does seem like we may be in a "Tom Paris" vs "Nicholas Locarno" situation.

It does feel like that, doesn't it?

As in these, by Shadow Dale Creations?

http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/star-trek_online_leather_jacket_design.jpg

http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/star-trek_online_leather_jacket_3.jpg

http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/star-trek_online_leather_jacket_4.jpg

http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/startrek_online_uniforms.htm

Eew! Not only are the cuts amateurish, but look at the horrid plasticky leathery yuckiness! It'd had been better if it was a tighter fit using the same fabric as their TNG Movie costumes.
  • Options
    sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I have to partially agree with you on that. It IS possible that Cryptic had to "re-invent" the uniform in question into the Sierra 1 uniform (which, btw, I really don't mind how it looks atm). However, I think they wanted to give us enough unliscenced uniforms that new players, who have no access to a credit card (and thereby can't get zen very easily), to create a character who has SOME resemblance of being a Starfleet, Klingon, or, as of May 21st, Romulan officer WITHOUT having to pay money for them. However, they ALSO have a nice selection of Canon uniforms from the different series and films, that have been made over the years (such as the TOS uniforms, Wrath of Khan and Subsequent Search for Spock uniform, TNG season 1, TNG Series, TNG Admiral, and DS9 uniform), available to purchase in the C-Store! It is very much possible that STO writers do NOT want to make the uniform in question available to us simply because another uniform (Sierra 1) already looks close enough to the one in question. Also, keep in mind that a comic rendition of a uniform WILL look radically different when produced in a game or film! It is unavoidable!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't like them much, I usually run around in my mirror Enterprise uniform and my terranised TWOK uniform. :P
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      taffarouxtaffaroux Member Posts: 5 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      i've always kinda wondered why they removed the original countdown uniform, since it had already featured so prominantly and we'd come overall to consider it the next trek uniform.

I much prefer the collar on it to the Sierra. Would be quite happy to throw a few zen in to pick it up, hopefully with an open jacket variant too~
    • Options
      earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      various references to the Pocket Books continuities, such as Akaar and the Luna Class or the numerous references to Rihannsu and stuff from the Deep Space Nine books.

Actually, the term "Rihannsu", is NOT from the DS9 area, but a much earlier book (Can't remember the title of it, last time I read it was back around '90 or so), but the book termed the Romulans "Rihannsu", and the Klingons, "Klin". It was about the kidnapping of a Vulcan and a Human girl, by the Klin & Rihannsu, to get their hands on Spock. Even though I can't remember which one it was, I do remember it was a hell of a good book.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
      Temperance Brennan, "A building"