test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introduce a tax on refined dilithium system to help fleets

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    To quote something you said in another thread when I was saying about not wanting to leave a fleet you've sunk a lot of time and effort into.

"it's called count your loses and move on" so really if they did this you could just leave.

And I would leave what's your point.

Big fleets don't need taxes and small fleets are so desperate for players that they wont put it on.

So I'm not worried
    GwaoHAD.png
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    No taxation without representation

Hear hear! This is only acceptable if his members can vote diogene0 out of ownership of his own fleet.
  • sasheriasasheria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    forcing a tax will never end well. The only way to implement this would be a "flat" bonus to what they "would earn" and added to fleet.

Idea:

What if Sasha earn 1000 units of dilithium. Fleet will earn 80 units. Sasha STILL gets 8k. The fleet will gain 80 units. You have to be in fleet in order to earn this extra (in this case 1%)

Now fleet can also refine it but limited to ADD on. I.E. refining factory that can refine dilithium at certain amount depending on level. These dilithium can ONLY be use for fleet upgrades and provisions missions. It CAN NEVER BE WITHRAWN and use to purchase Zen or Equipments.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    One of the main issues small fleets encounter is to make sure everyone is contributing, especially in one of the most precious ressources, which is dilithium. Currently, the contribution system is based on player's good will. Of course we end up with 3-4 players only giving dil while others don't do it for many reasons. It only create griefs and frustration.

What would really help small fleets to progress is a tax on the amount of diluthium you refine, when you refine it. Not on the one you buy from the exchange, just a % of what you refine. Of course, it would be possible to set it at 0% so that people can still get in tax free fleets, and those fleets wouldn't make any progress at all but that's not an issue, it's a choice.

What i'm asking for is the possibility for fleets to make sure everyone contributes to the progresses of the starbase, to make sure everyone shares the burden of dilithium contribution.

This dilithium could award some fleet credits (1 dil for 1 fleet credit) to make sure that the dil going into the fleet pool isn't wasted for players. Fleet leaders could choose to use the dil from the fleet pool on projetcs.

Such a tax system exists in most MMOs, and it helps players to make progresses and reduces frustration, because you know no one is taking advantage of you. I'm really surprised Cryptic didn't add such a feature to the game yet.

Just as the present system relies on the good will of the fleet in general, the tax relies on the good will of the Fleet Leader specifically. A good portion of players do not have the time necessary to max out their dilithium acquisition every day nor do they even have time to log in every day. A tax on the dilithium they refine on the occasion they find time to log in simply hinders their ability to effectively play the game as that resource is needed for almost every application.

Furthermore, how exactly would the tax benefit smaller fleets? Given the moratorium imposed by Cryptic on effective daily dilithium, a tax on refined dilithium would only serve to decrease the number of contributions to the point where the tax is the only contribution. If you're not making 8k dilithium a day then the need to refine it every day doesn't actually exist.

If you're in a fleet whose members must be forced to contribute then I'd say you're in the wrong fleet.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
    edited February 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    forcing a tax will never end well. The only way to implement this would be a "flat" bonus to what they "would earn" and added to fleet.

Idea:

What if Sasha earn 1000 units of dilithium. Fleet will earn 80 units. Sasha STILL gets 8k. The fleet will gain 80 units. You have to be in fleet in order to earn this extra (in this case 1%)

Now fleet can also refine it but limited to ADD on. I.E. refining factory that can refine dilithium at certain amount depending on level. These dilithium can ONLY be use for fleet upgrades and provisions missions. It CAN NEVER BE WITHRAWN and use to purchase Zen or Equipments.

This would function quite similar to Blizzard's guild bank and Cash Flow perk. The perk allows for an additional small amount of gold to drop, which the player does not actually see, every time gold is looted and this amount is deposited directly into the guild bank. Guild members can still contribute to the guild funds of their own volition but are not taxed of their own earnings.
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I like the idea of this, there is a disparity in the lack of tracking what people contribute.

Some of this problem could be eliminated if specific stats on what I contribute could be monitored. SO many people give marks and XP, use their doffs and dilith for personal gain and never buy the commodities. These people are leeches are are permited to operate because of the opacity of the contribution system.

The motivation for this tax could be removed if we could tally simple categories of Marks, Dil, Doffs (by branch maybe), commodity/samples, and XP

It would not be perfect, but better than what we have and provide a template for further refinement.

If the tax idea is implemented then there would probably need to be a grace period before changes happened, or require changes to the tax to require a cost itself to prevent exploits. THis is common in our systems of government where the enactment date lags behind the passage of the change in regs or taxes.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    This would function quite similar to Blizzard's guild bank and Cash Flow perk. The perk allows for an additional small amount of gold to drop, which the player does not actually see, every time gold is looted and this amount is deposited directly into the guild bank. Guild members can still contribute to the guild funds of their own volition but are not taxed of their own earnings.

This system would also fit in nicely with a fleet dilithium refinery holding. As it levels you get better percentages, such as refining efficiencies.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Hear hear! This is only acceptable if his members can vote diogene0 out of ownership of his own fleet.

I'm not a fleet leader, and i really do not appreciate at all defamation.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited February 2013
    I like the idea of this, there is a disparity in the lack of tracking what people contribute.

Some of this problem could be eliminated if specific stats on what I contribute could be monitored. SO many people give marks and XP, use their doffs and dilith for personal gain and never buy the commodities. These people are leeches are are permited to operate because of the opacity of the contribution system.

The motivation for this tax could be removed if we could tally simple categories of Marks, Dil, Doffs (by branch maybe), commodity/samples, and XP

It would not be perfect, but better than what we have and provide a template for further refinement.

If the tax idea is implemented then there would probably need to be a grace period before changes happened, or require changes to the tax to require a cost itself to prevent exploits. THis is common in our systems of government where the enactment date lags behind the passage of the change in regs or taxes.

Each person contribute differently when it comes to guild/fleet/cabal/groups etc etc. Some may contribute time and such to help their members to be better players, some contribute resources, and some does both.

What I don't understand is why Cryptic require "provisions" to allow people to buy stuff. you already need Fleet credit which = contribution to the fleet. You can gain more fleet credit from different things. Maybe a bonus if players contribute in different area (i.e. exp, dil, marks, doffs and supplies) so like the more areas you donate, the more credit you will get.

Then all items will cost fleet credit to buy. Provisions will be a discount system where you can buy stuff CHEAPER (most players will do that)

Ships already require fleet modules (which are from Zen) so maybe take out fleet provisions and just add requirement like Dilithium, Modules, and Increase fleet credits.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't mind this, especially since there is a 0% option (there is right?). The fleets I am currently in require each member to contribute at least 500 dil to a project during their time online, and if you don't (we have guys who track that btw), then you are summarily talked to by the fleet leader. Continued infractions will result in expulsion from the fleet.

It works well, and our projects get done. Usually. XD.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited February 2013
    I agree each contributes differently, but I am only concerned to find the guys that are milking the system, taking the low hanging fruit. XP and marks especially. The last things to fill are always the expensive items and there is no way to determine if someone is exploiting the system without the information that only the devs can provide.

Typically transparency solves problems of suspicion. Either it can be proven or not based on the right information.
    edited February 2013
    I agree each contributes differently, but I am only concerned to find the guys that are milking the system, taking the low hanging fruit. XP and marks especially. The last things to fill are always the expensive items and there is no way to determine if someone is exploiting the system without the information that only the devs can provide.

Typically transparency solves problems of suspicion. Either it can be proven or not based on the right information.

Yea. That is why I suggest different value of fleet mark OR!!!!!!!!

Each resources type will earn you different currency (which might be a problem and cause more problem possibly)

Maybe 2 new type of "provisions resources" for the players.
    Universal provisions - This provision is earned by giving up Dilithium
    resource provisions - This provision is earned by giving Doffs and equipment
    Fleet Credit - this is given by fleet mark and xp.

When a player wants to BUY something from the fleet store, there is a price tag of these provision required (i.e. this will "force" some players to contribute for their personal gain)

while I understand that contribution should be optional, but if a players want access to certain things, then they should contribute to get it.

This will also eliminate "leechers" cause they can't buy certain things without contributing.
    edited February 2013
    I'm not a fleet leader
    I'm surprised, since nobody other than a fleet leader has any benefit over this. Only certain select individuals benefit, and those are fleet leaders who will effectively hold their members hostage.

Build up to T4, and then "Oh hey, you will now have to contribute 25% or you can leave the fleet and lose whatever benefits you helped earn."
    and i really do not appreciate at all defamation.
    The implication that you're a fleet leader is defamation? :rolleyes:
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm surprised, since nobody other than a fleet leader has any benefit over this. Only certain select individuals benefit, and those are fleet leaders who will effectively hold their members hostage.

I'm a regular player with access to stores in my two fleets. I just see that a dilithium tax could give ahuge boost to contributions, since everyone would contribute on an equal footing.

I just consider efficiency, i have no trouble to gather ressources for myself and my fleets. I also see people doing nothing but giving some xp and marks and buying everything from the stores. While i don't need what's in the stores (I have 1 billion ECs), i think these players could contribute too. If you have access to the stores then you should pay your daily tax on dil. An automated system will make it easier for fleet leaders. It makes sense...
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited February 2013
    I'm a regular player with access to stores in my two fleets. I just see that a dilithium tax could give ahuge boost to contributions, since everyone would contribute on an equal footing.

I just consider efficiency, i have no trouble to gather ressources for myself and my fleets. I also see people doing nothing but giving some xp and marks and buying everything from the stores. While i don't need what's in the stores (I have 1 billion ECs), i think these players could contribute too. If you have access to the stores then you should pay your daily tax on dil. An automated system will make it easier for fleet leaders. It makes sense...

yea. but a tax that "takes away" from player that are "required" can hurt smaller fleet that are growing.

This is why I propose either a bonus (i.e. same as other system) and/or personal provisions.

You wanna buy that shiny ship from fleet store that needs provision? you better contribute to gain access ;)
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    You wanna buy that shiny ship from fleet store that needs provision? you better contribute to gain access ;)

Yes But there are some fleets who lock every thing down and then you cant do **** so this is kinda pointless in it self.I been in a big fleet and could not get TRIBBLE out even though i spent a huge amount of time gathering items for them.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i give most of my refined dylithium to the fleet simply cause helping helps me (we dont have a high tier shipyard yet) but i dont agree on forcing the issue.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    edited February 2013
    xcom43 wrote: »
    Yes But there are some fleets who lock every thing down and then you cant do **** so this is kinda pointless in it self.I been in a big fleet and could not get TRIBBLE out even though i spent a huge amount of time gathering items for them.

I know :( that is why I suggest the changes to fleet provisions. The main reason they would "lock it down" cause higher level players invest a lot of resources to gain provisions only to have another player "use them all up" before you get the chance to use them yourself.
    edited February 2013

A dilithium tax would not cause anyone to contribute in any greater capacity than they already do. While the taxation would yield a limited amount of dilithium per day, you won't see anyone step up and move that bar. Were they willing, they'd be doing that now. Those who none to done the Expertise and other easy Fleet Credit grabs will continue to do so. In an MMO and one with a decidedly virulent community at best, a dilithium tax would lead to nothing less than extortion and coercion.
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    edited February 2013

I think this benefits the those that are forced to contribute dil and doffs when the first people soak up the xp and the marks. I have a day job and evenings are filled with kid activities so i typically not logging in when a new project comes open and there are only doffs, commodities and dil left. Currently I have over 2500 FM on my primary and can't ever off load them.

That said our fleet would like to enforce a more even distribution of contributions, but it is impossible to enforce since all that is tracked is fleet credits, and not categories of contributions. I am starting to see problems with the fleet tax, but I still wish there was better tracking of actual contributions by person.
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    A dilithium tax would not cause anyone to contribute in any greater capacity than they already do. While the taxation would yield a limited amount of dilithium per day, you won't see anyone step up and move that bar. Were they willing, they'd be doing that now. Those who none to done the Expertise and other easy Fleet Credit grabs will continue to do so. In an MMO and one with a decidedly virulent community at best, a dilithium tax would lead to nothing less than extortion and coercion.

Sad but true. This is why any MMO needs a system that will help contribute to the guild. Usually a bonus would help or make everything player earned.

Crowd sourcing is a nice concept (in this case that is what it is) BUT unlike crowd sources, EVERYONE gain access to the same stuff regardless of input (well unless adjust by the guild leaders) but that can cause another aspect on why contribute when you gain nothing?

you don't get too many people contribute for nothing. If we do, the world would be in a better place.
  • qinnuxqinnux Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tax will kill most fleets - if id have to give off a portion of a 8k ( stupidly low amound) i get to refien each day - id just play withotu a fleet. It already takes around a month to farm dilithium (not wasting a single dime on anything) to get enough for a decent 2.5k zen ship. Then add the omega borg gear.. even 10% or 5% off each day would extend the farmign time by weeks.

So people would stay away from fleets or join the oens that already have finished all the projects and dont have taxes on anymore.

All the small fleets woudl die out, new fleets would have no chance anymore and game will be dominated by a few massive fleets.

Also the risk of just gettign kicked or screwed over as pointed out several times here - unless u have friends as the owners of the fleet, you have 0 guarantees.

Fleets should also have a kind of penalty if the kick/lose a high contributing member. Then they would actually thing twice about abusgn its members.
    edited February 2013
    I post this as suggestion to fleet changes.... only 4 people saw it so far (so it tells me but I think 2 was me)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=554281
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What would really help small fleets to progress is a tax on the amount of diluthium you refine, when you refine it.

You got an Obama 2012 bumper sticker on your Prius? Let's spread that dil wealth around. :rolleyes:

I pay enough taxes IRL, I don't need one in my recreation. Fleet tax = Leave Fleet.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    More people would give Dilithium to their fleet projects if they gave more Fleet Credits. 1 Fleet Credit for 1 Dilithium is not enough.

Yeah and for those projects that someone just happens to catch that require 200,000 and they fill it all... Instant 200,000 Fleet credits.

No Thank you. The "Leaderboard" is already a sore subject among many. Can you imagine a person who donates ALL their stored dilithium to fleet projects at more than 1:1? You would have an outrage since refined dilithium can be purchased through ZEN/Dilithium exchange...

1:1 is fine for dilithium to fleet credit ratio.
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
    edited February 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    Can you imagine a person who donates ALL their stored dilithium to fleet projects at more than 1:1? You would have an outrage since refined dilithium can be purchased through ZEN/Dilithium exchange...
    This is a first.

I have never, ever, heard anyone else complain about somebody else contributing Dilithium. It's always the last thing our projects need.

Seriously, in spite of lurking on the boards practically every day, you're the only person I've ever seen complaining. Dilithium costs either actual money or are your single most limited resource in the game (8000/day cap and required for practically everything good).
  • blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is a first.

I have never, ever, heard anyone else complain about somebody else contributing Dilithium. It's always the last thing our projects need.

Seriously, in spite of lurking on the boards practically every day, you're the only person I've ever seen complaining. Dilithium costs either actual money or are your single most limited resource in the game (8000/day cap and required for practically everything good).

Who's complaining? I am not. I am sorry you took it as such. I was never complaining about someone else contributing dilithium. I am appreciative of the contributions of ANYTHING anyone gives... I think you should re-read my argument. I am merely defending that the 1:1 ratio of dilithium to fleet credits is good enough.

Let me "rephrase" that so you might be able to understand...

Can you imagine a person who donates ALL their stored dilithium to fleet projects at more than the 1:1 ratio? Dilithium is already the best source of fleet credits if you happen to hit one of the dilithium hungry projects. Its the fastest way to earn fleet credits. If the ratio was increased from 1:1, you would have an outrage since refined dilithium can be purchased through ZEN/Dilithium exchange... Player X would be mad at player Y because he never gets a chance to donate dilithium to hungry projects because A: he doesn't have enough dilithium or B: he can't afford to buy it. Given the current upset over the leaderboard in the past and how it creates resentment (or so I have heard), it could be harmful for fleets if the 1:1 ratio was lifted.
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,753 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    We get taxed enough in real life, and you want to add that to a game that's supposed to be fun?! :confused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One of the main issues small fleets encounter is to make sure everyone is contributing, especially in one of the most precious ressources, which is dilithium. Currently, the contribution system is based on player's good will. Of course we end up with 3-4 players only giving dil while others don't do it for many reasons. It only create griefs and frustration.

What would really help small fleets to progress is a tax on the amount of diluthium you refine, when you refine it. Not on the one you buy from the exchange, just a % of what you refine. Of course, it would be possible to set it at 0% so that people can still get in tax free fleets, and those fleets wouldn't make any progress at all but that's not an issue, it's a choice.

What i'm asking for is the possibility for fleets to make sure everyone contributes to the progresses of the starbase, to make sure everyone shares the burden of dilithium contribution.

This dilithium could award some fleet credits (1 dil for 1 fleet credit) to make sure that the dil going into the fleet pool isn't wasted for players. Fleet leaders could choose to use the dil from the fleet pool on projetcs.

Such a tax system exists in most MMOs, and it helps players to make progresses and reduces frustration, because you know no one is taking advantage of you. I'm really surprised Cryptic didn't add such a feature to the game yet.

This whole idea screams to be exploited by unscrupulous fleet leaders. There is already issues in small fleets where a leader/officer will invite someone let them donate all they have to their fleet then kick them the very next day. Adding a taxation system to further exploit other players is a terrible idea
    1kltX02.jpg
    edited February 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    Who's complaining? I am not. I am sorry you took it as such. I was never complaining about someone else contributing dilithium. I am appreciative of the contributions of ANYTHING anyone gives... I think you should re-read my argument. I am merely defending that the 1:1 ratio of dilithium to fleet credits is good enough.

Let me "rephrase" that so you might be able to understand...

Can you imagine a person who donates ALL their stored dilithium to fleet projects at more than the 1:1 ratio? Dilithium is already the best source of fleet credits if you happen to hit one of the dilithium hungry projects. Its the fastest way to earn fleet credits. If the ratio was increased from 1:1, you would have an outrage since refined dilithium can be purchased through ZEN/Dilithium exchange... Player X would be mad at player Y because he never gets a chance to donate dilithium to hungry projects because A: he doesn't have enough dilithium or B: he can't afford to buy it. Given the current upset over the leaderboard in the past and how it creates resentment (or so I have heard), it could be harmful for fleets if the 1:1 ratio was lifted.

While it is true that you CAN buy refined dilithium via Zen/Cash/Real Money (however you got it there is cash involved) BUT

I notice that in most fleet (at least from other players I have talk with) Dilithium is the LAST item to be filled (mainly because it is used in everything else so people tend to hoard some for personal project like upgrade Omega and Romulan stuff) which I don't blame them.

If Dilithium is the first thing that your fleet fill up, I will be shocked (and kinda proud too since that is not the norm) but with higher fleet credit ratio, might "get people" to give up some of their precious dilithium :)