test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introduce a tax on refined dilithium system to help fleets

diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
One of the main issues small fleets encounter is to make sure everyone is contributing, especially in one of the most precious ressources, which is dilithium. Currently, the contribution system is based on player's good will. Of course we end up with 3-4 players only giving dil while others don't do it for many reasons. It only create griefs and frustration.

What would really help small fleets to progress is a tax on the amount of diluthium you refine, when you refine it. Not on the one you buy from the exchange, just a % of what you refine. Of course, it would be possible to set it at 0% so that people can still get in tax free fleets, and those fleets wouldn't make any progress at all but that's not an issue, it's a choice.

What i'm asking for is the possibility for fleets to make sure everyone contributes to the progresses of the starbase, to make sure everyone shares the burden of dilithium contribution.

This dilithium could award some fleet credits (1 dil for 1 fleet credit) to make sure that the dil going into the fleet pool isn't wasted for players. Fleet leaders could choose to use the dil from the fleet pool on projetcs.

Such a tax system exists in most MMOs, and it helps players to make progresses and reduces frustration, because you know no one is taking advantage of you. I'm really surprised Cryptic didn't add such a feature to the game yet.
Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
Post edited by diogene0 on

Comments

• nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Its actually not a bad idea at all since it is fleet optional, though the dictatorship nature of fleets could be a problem. There also needs to be a maximum tax which is reasonable.

The pool should only ever be allowed to go to fleet projects, nothing else.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, no.

While I attempt to regularly contribute to my fleet's development, I do so willingly. Force it upon me, and I'll quit the fleet guaranteed.
  • blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, no.

While I attempt to regularly contribute to my fleet's development, I do so willingly. Force it upon me, and I'll quit the fleet guaranteed.

Agreed. I am a fleet leader and I don't want this at all. Contributions should be free will. After all they are contributions.
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, no.

This is why it should be an option. Leaving a fleet you don't like is also a valid one anyway. But since such a system would be completely optional, i don't see why someone can say no.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    This is why it should be an option. Leaving a fleet you don't like is also a valid one anyway. But since such a system would be completely optional, i don't see why someone can say no.

Default it to 0% and I'm game for it. Giving fleets more options for internal management isn't a bad thing.
  • allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This again.

It does not have to be a tax, it can be a bonus. You earn your usual 1000 dil, and IN ADDITION 100 dil is generated and appears in the fleet.
  • thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nicha0 wrote: »
    Its actually not a bad idea at all since it is fleet optional, though the dictatorship nature of fleets could be a problem. There also needs to be a maximum tax which is reasonable.

The pool should only ever be allowed to go to fleet projects, nothing else.

I don't think you understand the mentality of too many gamers... Min/Max.

1. Optional will turn into required by all but an extremely small number of fleets. Why should they not take some of your money.

2. Guild Drama - Corrupted Leader or someone going out with a bang could use the system to stifle/kill a good fleet.

3. Reduced Contribution - Why should I continue my current level of contribution if your just going to tax the heck out my earnings anyway?
  • magniacapramagniacapra Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It works for EVE online...
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i dont think its a good idea, even if its optional, and that option only extends to the fleet leader. for the rest of the fleet, if they pick to tax then the other players have no choice but to comply or leave.

some people have been in fleets for years and dont want to contribute. that is their choice as it is the leaders choice to keep them there.

i can only see this causing problems as its going to be hard for now established fleets to agree, and will cause a lot of shake ups and people leaving.

if someone is in your fleet doing nothing to help, then maybe they should be kicked or told to help out, even if its a little rather than forced to do something.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    More people would give Dilithium to their fleet projects if they gave more Fleet Credits. 1 Fleet Credit for 1 Dilithium is not enough.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One of the main issues small fleets encounter is to make sure everyone is contributing, especially in one of the most precious ressources, which is dilithium. Currently, the contribution system is based on player's good will. Of course we end up with 3-4 players only giving dil while others don't do it for many reasons. It only create griefs and frustration.

This sounds like a Fleet Recruiting and management issue and not an automated systems issue.
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This sounds a fair amount like the Prestige system they had in CoH and quite frankly it did work fairly well there.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cptvanor wrote: »
    This sounds a fair amount like the Prestige system they had in CoH and quite frankly it did work fairly well there.

In the Stahl-maggedan thread someone brought up adding a similar system to STO that yields both fleet marks and dilithium for fleet projects instead of prestige. With some tweaks it might actually be a viable passive mechanic for fleets to grow with.
    edited February 2013
    I don't think you understand the mentality of too many gamers... Min/Max.

1. Optional will turn into required by all but an extremely small number of fleets. Why should they not take some of your money.

2. Guild Drama - Corrupted Leader or someone going out with a bang could use the system to stifle/kill a good fleet.

3. Reduced Contribution - Why should I continue my current level of contribution if your just going to tax the heck out my earnings anyway?

1 - Tax free fleets will continue to exist. People willing not to pay a dime will go there, and if you're right they will be successful. So why should you worry about that?

2 - It's not money, it's an in game currency, nothing more. But most people see it as money since it's convertible to cash-store currency. But it remains only some figures in your account tab

3 - I haven't talked about anything else but dilithium. People willing to contribute more will be able to do so. But at least everyone will be on an equal footing.

4 - "Corruption" is a dishonnest argument. Such a system won't change people. Fleet leaders will remain what they are. It will even make non-contributing players/dead weights "good" players (from a fleet point of view). Such players will be free to quit if they are unhappy and will probably find another T3/4/5 fleet without any trouble, so they won't even loose anything.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • mneinthmneinth Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What i'm asking for is the possibility for fleets to make sure everyone contributes to the progresses of the starbase, to make sure everyone shares the burden of dilithium contribution.

Be forced to pay and not be guaranteed access to all the special fleet stuff like consoles and such......That's what your asking for,for entire fleet to be forced into helping what could possibly be only a few people in the fleet improve themselves,and not get anything worthwhile in return.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No taxation without representation
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited February 2013

Hear Hear!!
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How about a refine dilithium bonus which can only be contributed to fleet projects?

Say you refine your 8k dilithium and you get a 25% bonus of 2k dilithium in a seperate Fleet Dilithium pool which you can only donate to fleet projects! It'd be something and people wouldn't lose dilithium from the refinement cap due to any kind of taxes.

I'm a fleet leader and I wouldn't want to tax members at all - However a bonus for fleet projects would be better alternative in my opinion.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
    edited February 2013
    nierion wrote: »
    How about a refine dilithium bonus which can only be contributed to fleet projects?

Because when you want something to happen, you better ask for something you can get. A bonus is unlikely to happen because it would lead to abuses. There's no limit to bonuses, and devs didn't say they would like to raise the cap artifically.

This is why a tax system is realistic. I just ask everyone here not to mix it with real life issues. I don't mind if you like taxes or not, you don't need to like something to see it can work, it's just a feature fleets should be able to use or not. :)
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will never join the OP's fleet. If my contributions of other items, skill points, DOffs, or the EC to purchase these things is given less weight than my contribution of dilithium, I want nothing to do with them.

Of course none of this would be a real problem if those that do the slotting would cease slotting stupid, dilithium gorging, cosmetic projects until the Starbases are complete.
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We are all ready taxed out the butt in real life we do not need to be taxed in a freaking game.And way do people compare other games to sto.STO is completely different from eve online and wow.Stop trying to mess with things that will make it worse then what it all ready is.I bust my butt for my Dilithium i do not want it to be taken away buy some Fleet leader or random computer.

If people want to contribute let them don't force people this will ruin the game.

I say no to this idea.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A TAX? Really? Why would you WANT to put a tax on people in your fleet? Talk about horrible ideas. I certainly would leave any fleet that had a tax system/abandon the fleet system all together. This just........No... Just no.
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

To quote something you said in another thread when I was saying about not wanting to leave a fleet you've sunk a lot of time and effort into.

"it's called count your loses and move on" so really if they did this you could just leave.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
    edited February 2013
    I'd still like to hear how you plan on keeping the leaders and their chosen few from abusing it?

If i put something into a fleet,willingly or not,i expect at some point to get something in return,being forced into paying for someone elses TRIBBLE doesnt sit well with me.As it is now it's very easy for someone to dump alot of resources into a fleet willingly and not get anything in return,but thats their choice,being forced into it though is a different matter all together
    edited February 2013
    mneinth wrote: »
    I'd still like to hear how you plan on keeping the leaders and their chosen few from abusing it?

If i put something into a fleet,willingly or not,i expect at some point to get something in return,being forced into paying for someone elses TRIBBLE doesnt sit well with me.As it is now it's very easy for someone to dump alot of resources into a fleet willingly and not get anything in return,but thats their choice,being forced into it though is a different matter all together

Please explain the meaning of "forced" when the "leave" button is on the roster page?
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited February 2013

What would really help small fleets to progress is a tax on the amount of diluthium you refine, when you refine it. Not on the one you buy from the exchange, just a % of what you refine. Of course, it would be possible to set it at 0% so that people can still get in tax free fleets, and those fleets wouldn't make any progress at all but that's not an issue, it's a choice.

This dilithium could award some fleet credits (1 dil for 1 fleet credit) to make sure that the dil going into the fleet pool isn't wasted for players. Fleet leaders could choose to use the dil from the fleet pool on projetcs.

Such a tax system exists in most MMOs, and it helps players to make progresses and reduces frustration, because you know no one is taking advantage of you. I'm really surprised Cryptic didn't add such a feature to the game yet.
    A. The tax comes out of my daily total. So a 10% tax only leaves me with 7200 dil available per day.

B. The tax is subtracted from the ore I'm refining but doesn't count against my daily total. So I would still have to refine 8800 ore to get my 8000, but at the end of the day I would still be able to hit the cap.

I would agree to B, not A.

Overall I still don't think it's a great idea, and the justification that it would reduce grief and frustration is a poor one. If you don't like the level of contribution going on you are free to find another fleet, but the situation without remedy is one where a fleet leader goes afk. There's no real remedy, especially if they decide to grief the fleet by signing in occasionally. Giving them a tax ability opens up players to even more severe griefing.

I'm not saying the unequal contributions are fair, but they're a form of negligent grief that you're free to walk away from. Tax powers open up the possibility of malicious grief that can't be redressed.
    Please explain the meaning of "forced" when the "leave" button is on the roster page?
    Seriously, here's the answer if you don't like the level of contributions from your fleet mates. I don't know how you can hand this out glibly to others without applying it to your own concerns.
    edited February 2013
    There must be a lot of people in fleets run by total idiots if this is that big of a concern. I would likely open up a vote via a fleet mail in our fleet to enable the option.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2013

By all means, feel free to implement such a system for the members of your current Fleet; and let all the other Fleets decide how best to run their own internal affairs with regard to Fleet member contribution for Fleet progression.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    Agreed. I am a fleet leader and I don't want this at all. Contributions should be free will. After all they are contributions.

Yep agreed, I would pull all but one toon that doesn't refine. As long as I have access to fleet stores and SB amenities I contribute above and beyond. Tax me or force me to contribute and I go the other way.

See how easily this could keep thing unbalanced? NO WAY your penalizing me for having multiple toons or spend more time in game.

Now I have seen talk of some sort of "Dilithium Refinery" for Fleets that would be cool but to force people to give up the most valuable resource in the game you'll see a mass exodus from fleet's
  • darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i dont think its a good idea, even if its optional, and that option only extends to the fleet leader. for the rest of the fleet, if they pick to tax then the other players have no choice but to comply or leave.

some people have been in fleets for years and dont want to contribute. that is their choice as it is the leaders choice to keep them there.

i can only see this causing problems as its going to be hard for now established fleets to agree, and will cause a lot of shake ups and people leaving.

if someone is in your fleet doing nothing to help, then maybe they should be kicked or told to help out, even if its a little rather than forced to do something.

Again agreed implement this and you'll see a mass exodus and more newer small/Tiny fleets of people deciding to go it alone and having the same issues as the OP.