Install Arc
Options

What about the B?

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    CBS will never make a movie or series that takes place in the TNG or TMP timeline as it all JJs baby now.TNG movies lost money at the box office and cost them a law suit with Activision after Nemsis.

Um, not so much:

Generations:
    Worldwide Gross: $118-120 million
    Budget: $38 million

First Contact:
    Worldwide Gross: $146-150 million
    Budget: $46 million

Insurrection:
    Worldwide Gross: $112-117.8 million
    Budget: $70 million

Even poor maligned Nemesis made a profit.
    Worldwide Gross: $67.3 million
    Budget: $60 million

No Star Trek movie has failed to make a profit (though Nemesis fell short domestically). Got the numbers from several sources http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film_series%29 http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_films http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/StarTrek.php

Activision did sue Viacom for failing to produce more ST films after Nemesis and so hindering Activision's ability to sell its games. At the moment though Google seems to be failing me on finding out the outcome the the lawsuit.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Um, not so much:

Generations:

First Contact:

Insurrection:

No Star Trek movie has failed to make a profit (though Nemesis fell short domestically). Got the numbers from several sources http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film_series%29 http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_films http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/StarTrek.php

Activision did sue Viacom for failing to produce more ST films after Nemesis and so hindering Activision's ability to sell its games. At the moment though Google seems to be failing me on finding out the outcome the the lawsuit.

You need to look at more than the production budget; Nemesis had a $60 million production budget, AND a $33 million "prints and advertising" budget, for a total cost to the studio of $93 million. It lost a LOT of money.

Same source: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2002/STRKX.php
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Um, not so much:

Generations:

First Contact:

Insurrection:

Going by THIS...

..at some point in the last nine years, they must have made nice...

:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    You need to look at more than the production budget; Nemesis had a $60 million production budget, AND a $33 million "prints and advertising" budget, for a total cost to the studio of $93 million. It lost a LOT of money.

Same source: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2002/STRKX.php

Woops you got me on that one. Didn't dig deeper /facepalm
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    jcp26jcp26 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    None of which explains what happened to the missing Enterprise. A Federation flagship does not vanish into thin air.
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I found the Enterprise B! Picked her up two days ago and have been enjoying flying her around (under a new name of course) in Elite STFs.

Seriously speaking though, I agree. Hate the way their are gaps in the story line. The Enterprise E to my knowledge should still be running aroundm, even if captained by Data or someone else.

Hey, the Enterprise F showed up in the new Rom sector the other day and scared the b-jeebers out of me. Out of nowhere some ship came up behind me and Captain Andorian hailed me happily deciding I need his help in a daily mission. Strange to say the least, never saw that happen before.

Personally you'd think the Enterprise F would show up during Elite missions instead... or PVP... killing the enemy is single blows... that would be priceless.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I found the Enterprise B! Picked her up two days ago and have been enjoying flying her around (under a new name of course) in Elite STFs.

Seriously speaking though, I agree. Hate the way their are gaps in the story line. The Enterprise E to my knowledge should still be running aroundm, even if captained by Data or someone else.

Hey, the Enterprise F showed up in the new Rom sector the other day and scared the b-jeebers out of me. Out of nowhere some ship came up behind me and Captain Andorian hailed me happily deciding I need his help in a daily mission. Strange to say the least, never saw that happen before.

Personally you'd think the Enterprise F would show up during Elite missions instead... or PVP... killing the enemy is single blows... that would be priceless.

You have done the Dominion missions right? The F doesn't just appear out of nowhere. She gets rushed into service due to a real crisis. And think about it, the E would be over thirty years old by now. The 1701 was to be decommissioned at that age. Not even worth restoring as a training ship.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hate the way their are gaps in the story line. The Enterprise E to my knowledge should still be running aroundm, even if captained by Data or someone else.

You want to talk gaps, how about the 20-year gap between the destruction of the Enterprise C and Narendra III and the launching of the Enterprise D.

Who was the flagship during that time? Why did it take so long to get a new Enterprise? Maybe there was another Enterprise D, but something so horrible happened to it that we shall nevermore speak of its fate. (There could be a cool Foundry mission)

Was the Enterprise even the flagship at all before the D? I've never heard any mention of a flagship in canon other than the D and I think maybe the JJprise. We obviously infer that the Enterprise is always the flagship, but not sure if canon mentions it.
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What ever happened to her, it happened on a Tuesday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Um, not so much:

Generations:

First Contact:

Insurrection:

This is not compared to the TMP movies or even Star Wars.The TNG moives all lost money due to bad scripting and the loss of Captian Kirk and Data.We at STG don't use memory alpha it is not accurate when it comes to the business of Trek

The reason Activsion sued Paramount was the sales of the Moive Nemsis and the game Starfleet Command 3 Nemsis which had bad sales.Don't tell me what went on anything I don't already know look we heard the News first and it ended on frontpage of Star Trek Gamers the largest and oldest fansite on the net.We only print the Truth.You are wrong on this.you can go over to my boards a read all the old new footage that we published on this.We are so good that before in year we predicted the sale of Cryptic and STO would go free.

You think i just started playing Star Trek games and became a fan.I was around when ToS was being filmed shown on NBC.

btw.We knew way in advance about STO back in 04 as Harry Lang gaves us in exclsive Interview on the subject that was going to be made by Perpetual Entertainment.

To the above I don't care about the lore or what was said in the books in it what is in film that matter which means Data is dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wow dude, chill. My post was not intended to be an insult to some organization or website that I've never heard of. It was not a comment on you personally. I don't know you, and nothing in my statement reflected on when you became a fan. I'm a journalist in real life and even though I have a healthy ego, I know enough to know that no news organization, no matter how lofty it's goals, always prints the truth. Whether for nefarious reasons or on accident, we all get things wrong. And if your site is the only one that matters, why didn't it turn up in any of my searching today?

But whatever, I was simply pointing out that according to the sources I found, the movies appear to have made money. Perhaps my language was a bit tactless, fine. And I already admitted I was wrong about Nemesis because I didn't consider advertising budget.

But I offered numbers and sources to back up my statement. Where are yours?

Funny thing though, the point of your original post was that there's never going an Enterprise B movie, which I completely agree with. We're in the JJ verse now, like it or not.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is not compared to the TMP movies or even Star Wars.The TNG moives all lost money due to bad scripting and the loss of Captian Kirk and Data.We at STG don't use memory alpha it is not accurate when it comes to the business of Trek

The reason Activsion sued Paramount was the sales of the Moive Nemsis and the game Starfleet Command 3 Nemsis which had bad sales.Don't tell me what went on anything I don't already know look we heard the News first and it ended on frontpage of Star Trek Gamers the largest and oldest fansite on the net.We only print the Truth.You are wrong on this.you can go over to my boards a read all the old new footage that we published on this.We are so good that before in year we predicted the sale of Cryptic and STO would go free.

You think i just started playing Star Trek games and became a fan.I was around when ToS was being filmed shown on NBC.

btw.We knew way in advance about STO back in 04 as Harry Lang gaves us in exclsive Interview on the subject that was going to be made by Perpetual Entertainment.

To the above I don't care about the lore or what was said in the books in it what is in film that matter which means Data is dead.

Data is not dead according to the game's forums that you post on and probably have played so chill, and besides we are Trek fans not matter when we discovered the show. It is that fact that keeps this game alive.

Anyways, It was Star Trek Of Gods and Men not Renegades. Renegades is set in the 25th Century.

If we get to see the final resting place of the Enterprise-B that would be cool. I have assumed that the Enterprise-E was abandoned in order to get the crew back to normal space and it is drifting around in fluidic space awaiting for my crew to get her back.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What ever happened to her, it happened on a Tuesday.

Lots of things happen on Tuesday
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You want to talk gaps, how about the 20-year gap between the destruction of the Enterprise C and Narendra III and the launching of the Enterprise D.

Who was the flagship during that time? Why did it take so long to get a new Enterprise? Maybe there was another Enterprise D, but something so horrible happened to it that we shall nevermore speak of its fate. (There could be a cool Foundry mission)

Was the Enterprise even the flagship at all before the D? I've never heard any mention of a flagship in canon other than the D and I think maybe the JJprise. We obviously infer that the Enterprise is always the flagship, but not sure if canon mentions it.

Of course she was the Flagship. Why do you think the B had so much fanfare and press at her launch. And the publicity stunt maiden voyage. what other ships do you know that were launched without torpedoes, or a medical staff, or even a tractor beam? Get the flagship out, show the Federation (and the Klingons) that the fleet has an Enterprise again and roll her out before the cameras. Notice that they did not launch the D until after everyone was onboard and everything had been installed. Starfleet does not make the same mistake twice.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maybe there was another Enterprise D, but something so horrible happened to it that we shall nevermore speak of its fate.

Hey, that should have worked. It's not my fault!
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Hey, that should have worked. It's not my fault!

How many years past between Archer's ship and Kirk's. There have been other flagships. The Odyssey was the flagship before the F was commissioned. The Excelsior was meant to replace the Enterprise as flagship until the A was commissioned. I think the Defiant acted as the flagship between the D and E. She certainly acted as the command ship for some very big fleets.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well I certainly believe the Enterprise was always the flagship except maybe for some of the interims between Enterprises. Just wasn't spoken in canon to my knowledge outside of the D and JJprise :) and no other flagships are mentioned.

I don't expect the Defiant was ever a flagship. Sure it was around between the D and E, but that was peacetime, and in peacetime you'd want the flagship to be something big and impressive that was able to go anywhere in the Federation as needed, rather than attached to a space station. Of course, Sisko being essential in charge of Starfleet ops over an entire sector and leading a task force or two during the war, so "command ship" would probably be an accurate designation for the Defiant.

@Syberghost: I knew you was behind it!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well I certainly believe the Enterprise was always the flagship except maybe for some of the interims between Enterprises. Just wasn't spoken in canon to my knowledge outside of the D and JJprise :) and no other flagships are mentioned.

I don't expect the Defiant was ever a flagship. Sure it was around between the D and E, but that was peacetime, and in peacetime you'd want the flagship to be something big and impressive that was able to go anywhere in the Federation as needed, rather than attached to a space station. Of course, Sisko being essential in charge of Starfleet ops over an entire sector and leading a task force or two during the war, so "command ship" would probably be an accurate designation for the Defiant.

@Syberghost: I knew you was behind it!

Doesn't one of the reporters on the B mention it? It could have just been about the first Enterprise to be commanded by someone else in forty years, but I think it was implied she was the flagship. Why else must there always be an Enterprise in the fleet?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    jcp26 wrote: »
    Doesn't one of the reporters on the B mention it? It could have just been about the first Enterprise to be commanded by someone else in forty years, but I think it was implied she was the flagship. Why else must there always be an Enterprise in the fleet?

Just watched it a couple days ago... I think she just says "This is the first starship Enterprise in 40 years without James T. Kirk in command..."

Terrestrial navies, on which Starfleet is often based, traditionally pass on ship names. And not just Enterprise either. In-universe we have multiple Defiants (Why they didn't keep the TOS registry number and add a letter to it, I don't know, maybe cause it was an experimental ship or maybe cause the DS9 writers goofed), multiple Saratogas, possibly multiple Bozemans, multiple Bellerophons (one is a Nebula, seen briefly in the DS9 pilot intro, the other is an Intrepid from DS9 s7), multiple Prometheuses, etc.

Organizations like Starfleet like their traditions :)
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Honestly, I don't see any Enterprise prior to the B being Flagship. Archer's was the first warp 5 ship, and was the most advanced ship in a 'fleet' of very few vessels by the look of it. In my mind, neither the 1701 or the A were flagships. Some other ship took that title. But given how illustrious the two Enterprises were under Kirk's command, and how important the NX was in her day, that's when they decided Enterprise was a ship that kept having a hell of a career and so they made the B the flagship.

Was the C a flagship? Impossible to say. But I'm going to say no. The D was certainly. The JJprise was. Was the E ever actually confirmed as the flagship? Most advanced ship in the fleet, yes. But flagship? Of the 9 Enterprises that have been seen (including the F), only 3 were actually ever confirmed to be the Flagship. 4 if Archer's ship was ever indicated to be (can't remember, but I don't think it was).

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wow dude, chill. My post was not intended to be an insult to some organization or website that I've never heard of. It was not a comment on you personally. I don't know you, and nothing in my statement reflected on when you became a fan. I'm a journalist in real life and even though I have a healthy ego, I know enough to know that no news organization, no matter how lofty it's goals, always prints the truth. Whether for nefarious reasons or on accident, we all get things wrong. And if your site is the only one that matters, why didn't it turn up in any of my searching today?
    We aslo had journalist who worked as super moderator and lived Calif.I don't have as much patients as I use to.Why didn't it show up becasue you weren't looking for games.Then again the link is in my sig where you could of searched through.
    But whatever, I was simply pointing out that according to the sources I found, the movies appear to have made money. Perhaps my language was a bit tactless, fine. And I already admitted I was wrong about Nemesis because I didn't consider advertising budget.
    They didn't make the money that was budgeted which is why they lost money after Generations with the death of Kirk.You don't go off and kill an icon which most of the baby boomer fans walked away from and gave up on Star Trek.
    But I offered numbers and sources to back up my statement. Where are yours?
    Where are your number at memory alpha it is a wiki which anyone can change the information on.I know from several sources not just the net but publications and this has been known since 2001 that all TNG movies lost revenue due to poor box office sales.
    Funny thing though, the point of your original post was that there's never going an Enterprise B movie, which I completely agree with. We're in the JJ verse now, like it or not.
    I said it is JJs baby now didn't I.

btw The official fan club Magazine was forced to close down due to poor subscriptions The Communicator.

Data is when it comes to canon of all thing sown on the screen.

@jcp26

Archers ship is set in alternate universe as there was no NX1701 ad was not the forst Starship Enterprise if you watched TMP with models on the rec deck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Enterprise_%28XCV_330%29.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Enterprise is always the Flagship of the Federation as it's the flag ship of Star Trek....anyone even if they never seen Star Trek knows the Enterprise

Now lets make sure History never forgets the name Enterprise

Speaking of Enterprise B DST finally released their Enterprise B and I got my hands on her and SHE IS SEXY!....and also the BOP which was even Sexier:cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We aslo had journalist who... (snip)[/url]

And still you post no evidence here to support your claims, and without that, as far as I can tell they are merely your opinion. Even agreeing with you on a point doesn't seem to work.

And I've lost interest in the conversation.

Back to the B.
    The Enterprise is always the Flagship of the Federation as it's the flag ship of Star Trek....anyone even if they never seen Star Trek knows the Enterprise

Oh she was famous no doubt. In universe and out.

But does famous = flagship? There has to be other ships with equally illustrious records right?
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In regards to the Enterprise appearing because of a crisis, yes, obviously I get the idea behind why she would. However, even so, doing a daily Rom grind for Rom marks on a daily basis I have never seen the ship come and help me to do what takes me mere minutes to complete with my own ship. Clearly just a 'perk' to continue the illusion of being really in the Trek universe.

Anyways, in regards to the Enterprise being the flagship; to my knowledge this was NOT the case in the TOS show nor the initial movies. The Enterprise was actually nearly forty years old when they decided to decomssion her in ST III. After all, she was not always Kirk's ship... Lets not forget Captain Pike! As a kid I recall reading too that even before Pike there was another captain (Archer?!) of the same ship! So the idea of the E running around still is not implausible given, as pointed out, she would have only been thirty years old. Its not like the ship could have fallen victim to rust in outer space!:rolleyes:

I only recall her being referenced as the flag ship for the B, D and E (F of course in STO). Missing gaps just leaves room for fans to use their imaginations and create their own storylines.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    After all, she was not always Kirk's ship... Lets not forget Captain Pike! As a kid I recall reading too that even before Pike there was another captain (Archer?!) of the same ship!

That would be Robert April. That was the name of the captain in Roddenberry's original pitch. The name never made it to filming though, got changed to Pike.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Archers ship is set in alternate universe as there was no NX1701 ad was not the forst Starship Enterprise if you watched TMP with models on the rec deck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Enterprise_%28XCV_330%29.jpg

Well, you know, that was made a bit before the series Enterprise started. And I think I did read somewhere there is a special edition that may have put the NX in there (not sure on that).

No. The ship is the flagship of Star Trek. But that does not mean it's automatically the flagship in show. After all, The Galactica is the best known ship of Battlestar Galactica, but that ship was 40 years old and about to be retired. She wasn't the flagship.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    Well, you know, that was made a bit before the series Enterprise started. And I think I did read somewhere there is a special edition that may have put the NX in there (not sure on that).

My "Director's Edition" DVD says...nope.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    koppenflak wrote: »
    Depends if you consider the books canon.

(snip)

....The ship was lost in deep space in 2329 after the crew contracted an unknown infection.

So ... their dumbass Captain decided to "Kirk it" and brought home some nasty alien TRIBBLE ?
    Why am I not surprised that his end could have been something so hilariously bad ? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    And still you post no evidence here to support your claims, and without that, as far as I can tell they are merely your opinion. Even agreeing with you on a point doesn't seem to work.

And I've lost interest in the conversation.

Back to the B.

Oh she was famous no doubt. In universe and out.

But does famous = flagship? There has to be other ships with equally illustrious records right?

Would you send a vessel other than your Flagship to meet the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire? The E was not only the most advanced ship in the fleet at the time of her commissioning, she was also the ship used for important diplomatic missions and meetings. That is evident that she too, was a flagship. As for the F, she was rushed into service for the battle to retake DS9. They mentioned during the anniversary event that the F was not fully spaceworthy at the time. When you are fighting a fleet of 2800 Dominion warships, you are going to need the most advanced and most powerful ships at your disposal and the new Flagship certainly fits that description. She was also the first "modern" Odyssey class ship with an Aquarius class escort and detachable saucer section. While destroying the 2800 Dominion warships, the F sustained heavy damage and had to put in at spacedock for weeks. It makes sense that you would rarely see her. Besides, she's the Federation flagship. She must have more important things to do than to babysit the player.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    grylak wrote: »

The NX-01 is considered Cannon in STO. She is included in the list of ships named Enterprise in the Starbase lobby.