Install Arc
Options

What about the B?

Comments

• Options
    typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jcp26 wrote: »
    We all know what happened to the Enterprise C. Went through time portal, Captain died, future Tactical officer hitched a ride, went back through portal, fought four Warbids and boom. Ship destroyed and crew taken back to Romulus. The Enterprise B vanished without a trace. How about a mission that explains what happened to her?

Dont expect that to ever happen, the lawyers at CBS and the micromanaging of STO has already done so much damage they would never allow such a thing.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    They will never make another movie or tv show that is like the TNG or TMP.It is strickly JJ show now as Berman and Braga failed at it miserably.You never kill off an icon Generations Kirk ,Nemisis Data.

You kill them off, you just kill them off well.

Spock in Wrath of Khan.

Kirk and Data didn't have good send offs.

The loading screens in STO tell you the Ent-E was the first to encounter an 8472 singularity. The rest of it I got from a thread here on teh forums, asking what happened to the E. Apparantly, it was a story written in a Star Trek magazine, where Shon (Captain of the Ent-F) went to Data, where he is retired and now lecturing at a university, looking for some advice and guidance prior to taking the F on her maiden voyage. Data related the story of the E's final mission in that story. I haven't read it personally, but that's the tale folks were posting on here.

As for Harriman, he struck me as a newly promoted Captain. Someone with no space experience under his belt yet, literally just promoted. After all, every Captain has to have that first command, and a quick run around Pluto is a good way to get your Captain adjusted to his new ship, his new crew. See how everyone works together. I'm sure lots of Captains are like that first time out. But I can see him becoming a great captain as he grew into the position.

I like to think he continued on with the B straight after Generations (no gap of another captain) and had many years in command. I read somewhere he made first contact with 17 new species.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Data's "death" was abrupt, but a powerful moment. Kirk's death was just a plain tragedy, where we expected to be grand and he instead went out with whimper. :(

But when it comes to the B's end, I hope it's creative. So far we got the 1701 self destructing, the A decommissioned, and the D destroyed. Cryptic never fully let on with the E if she was captured, scuttled, or abandoned. The C supposed to been self destructed, but then there was tales of the hull being dragged to Romulus to be displayed.

So the B needs to have a fate that's different, like she was "flown apart" (referencing Sulu's "Fly her apart then") during an emergency and her frame was too damaged to remain in service. (There are military ships and aircraft that actually had that happen). Maybe tie that to the Tomed incident like some stories suggest.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    While I agree that Data's death was powerful, alot to do with the shocked after effects and little memorial afterwards, all of that power was taken away by having those hints at the end that B4 was becoming Data. I have no issue with that plot (though I do with B4 in general), by introducing such a blatant obvious sign that data was coming back so soon after we had seen him die took away the impact. At least for me.

Granted, at the end of Khan, we saw Spock's torpedo on Genesis, but that was it. His torpedo landed on Genesis. There was no hint he was coming back until into the next film.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    However, as an actor I still think he lacked presence much in the same way as Chris Evans did when acting along side Robert Downey Jr. in the Avengers. Both great actors in their own films but put together and unfortunately one lost presence somewhat.

Avengers was basically Iron Man 3 with a really strong supporting cast. Seriously, think of all the major moments that didn't have Iron Man present (and stealing the show).
  • Options
    cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They will never make another movie or tv show that is like the TNG or TMP.It is strickly JJ show now as Berman and Braga failed at it miserably.You never kill off an icon Generations Kirk ,Nemisis Data.

Brent Spiner has said in various interviews that he thought it was time for Data to be killed off as he himself had visibly aged out of the role.

I think TNG was masterfully done, but it did take them almost a full season to find their legs. DS9 took things in a completely different direction, and I enjoyed it immensely. I even came to like Voyager. Enterprise, on the other hand, was a great premise that unfortunately didn't really resonate with the fans (including me). At least it explained why some things in Trek are the way they are.

I really think it's a shame that George Takei is 75 now. I really would have liked to see a few seasons of ST:Excelsior. Apparently that was the other option besides ST:Enterprise. Excelsior could have done an excellent job of in canon bridging the gap between TMP and TNG.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    NCC-1701-A: Retired - length of service not really known, as she wasn't comissioned as an 'Enterprise' and though Roddenbury is said to have thought her to be the USS Yorktown prior to re-naming, nothing in canon confirms this and other sources claim other pre-enterprise names for the ship

Yeah I seem to remember something about that. That it had been built and was going to be the Yorktown, then when they found out they'd need a new Enterprise they renamed it and gave it to Kirk. Sucks to be the guy in line to command the Yorktown though.

Maybe it was from one of the movie novelizations? Wasn't ever said on screen though.

I think it was the same idea with the second Defiant. They had one in the shipyards called the Sao Paulo, but Ross pulled some strings and got it sent to Sisko and renamed.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    jcp26jcp26 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    +1 Would love to read more about the 'E' as well and the 'B'. Did Picard simply retire then or did he pass away? It's just so strange to me that the 'E' in particular has so little history. Stranger even that Data would have been given command of her, survived yet is no longer in the STO universe?!?

As for the 'B', the actor who playeed her captain really didn't have the presence to do the ship and her name justice in my opinion which is a shame, because generally I think he really is a good actor. (I forget his name now, sorry).

BTW, thanks for the replies...

DOES NO ONE ELSE READ THE WRITING BETWEEN MISSION LOADS! Picard retired from Starfleet and became Ambassador to Vulcan. He married Beverly Crusher and they have a son. Data became captain of the Enterprise E which became the first ship to cross through an Undine rift into fluidic space. The ship returned to Federation space, but it was heavily damaged. No information has been given about what happened after it got back from fluidic space.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    While I agree that Data's death was powerful, alot to do with the shocked after effects and little memorial afterwards, all of that power was taken away by having those hints at the end that B4 was becoming Data. I have no issue with that plot (though I do with B4 in general), by introducing such a blatant obvious sign that data was coming back so soon after we had seen him die took away the impact. At least for me.

Granted, at the end of Khan, we saw Spock's torpedo on Genesis, but that was it. His torpedo landed on Genesis. There was no hint he was coming back until into the next film.

Again, read the writing that appears when loading maps or missions. B4 was reprogrammed by Geordi Laforge to be the new Data.
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    DOES NO ONE ELSE READ THE WRITING BETWEEN MISSION LOADS! Picard retired from Starfleet and became Ambassador to Vulcan. He married Beverly Crusher and they have a son. Data became captain of the Enterprise E which became the first ship to cross through an Undine rift into fluidic space. The ship returned to Federation space, but it was heavily damaged. No information has been given about what happened after it got back from fluidic space.

Given that it had encountered an entirely different universe and returned damaged, it isn't unreasonable Starfleet would decommission the ship and put it in a research dock to study everything that had been done to it by being in that universe (when the very laws of physics change, it's important to know how when other ships might encounter the same incident). That could take years, and you can't have a starship, let alone the flagship of the fleet, sitting unmanned and in commission. By striking the ship from the lists, the hull becomes available to the Corps of Engineers for extended study, and you can now free assets to support a new ship. This is especially true if the ship was so heavily damaged that it's hull was beyond full restoration.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Has to be said, a few of the ships to carry the name 'Enterprise' have had pretty short lives.

NX-01: Fleet Museum (according to the travesty of an episode that was "These are the Voyages"

NCC-1701: Auto-destruct following around 40 years of service

NCC-1701-A: Retired - length of service not really known, as she wasn't comissioned as an 'Enterprise' and though Roddenbury is said to have thought her to be the USS Yorktown prior to re-naming, nothing in canon confirms this and other sources claim other pre-enterprise names for the ship

NCC-1701-B: Comissioned 2293. Fate not known (in canon), although we DO know that her sucessor, the Enterprise-C, was in service by 2332

NCC 1701-C: As noted, in service by 2332. Lost at Battle of Narendra III 2344.

NCC-1701-D: Launched 2363, destroyed in 2371 by the B'uttUgly sisters in a rustbucket BoP/warp-core breach/crash landing.

NCC-1701-E: 2372 - ?

What is the point in your response to my post? All I did was summarize how the Enterprises ended and suggested one different for the Enterprise-B than the merely being blown up.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Again, read the writing that appears when loading maps or missions. B4 was reprogrammed by Geordi Laforge to be the new Data.

I haven't seen the loading screen that says Geordie did it. But I was referring to the end of Nemesis, not STO. I know B4 became the new Data thanks to Countdown comics, I was saying that leaving us with such strong hints that was working at the end of Nemesis watered down Data's death from the film.

• Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I do, but I never read that bit about the Enterprise and fluidic space. :o
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was saying that leaving us with such strong hints that was working at the end of Nemesis watered down Data's death from the film.

It prevents nerdrage if there is a glimmer of hope. How much hate did that guy who killed Chewie get?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    It prevents nerdrage if there is a glimmer of hope. How much hate did that guy who killed Chewie get?

Spock had no glimmer of hope. He was dead and buried. Kirk had no glimmer of hope in generations.

Wait.... Chewie died?:eek:

• Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wait.... Chewie died?:eek:

Yeah. October 1999. They dropped a moon on him. And then Star Wars fans had several years of novels (of varying quality, as usual) about extragalactic aliens trying to take over the galaxy.
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah. October 1999. They dropped a moon on him. And then Star Wars fans had several years of novels (of varying quality, as usual) about extragalactic aliens trying to take over the galaxy.

at least it took a moon to take him out. :P
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I do read the short information during page load outs but never saw those mentioned by a previous poster.

In regards to the A, I read somewhere once a very long time ago in a comic book no less that the Enterprise - A was stripped down and given as a 'gift' to an 'alien' government for its personal use. The person receiving the Enterprise than decided to recruit a retired James T Kirk to command the Enterprise once again for a non Federation mission in a stripped down Enterprise. In the end, Kirk survives (obviously and presumably to go onto his death in Generations) but the Enterprise A itself is destroyed defending the alien race from marauding oppressors. I forget the name of the comic book itself and keep in mind this is over fifteen years ago now...

BTW, have you guys seen Star Trek Renegades!?!? Stars Alan Ruck and a host of known Star Trek caharcaters/actors from TOS, Voyager, etc... I watched it the other day after discussing this thread. It was interesting to see Alan Ruck reprise his role as Captain Harriman.

Renegades takes place 12 years after Kirk's 'death' aboard the Enterprise B. The 'B' is under the command of Harriman still and Uhura and company meet aboard a replica of the original Enterprise 1701 (listed as 'M') as a tribute to Kirk. Charlie Evans and another surprise enemy form the original TOS are the core of the story line.

In an unrelated note, I cannot believe Chewie is dead!! :(
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    angarus1 wrote: »
    at least it took a moon to take him out. :P

That's no moon.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I haven't seen the loading screen that says Geordie did it. But I was referring to the end of Nemesis, not STO. I know B4 became the new Data thanks to Countdown comics, I was saying that leaving us with such strong hints that was working at the end of Nemesis watered down Data's death from the film.

It does actually say that Geordi did it. Which was probably the biggest surprise of STO. B4 was technically a sentient being. By reprogramming him, Georgi Laforge had essentially murdered him. The TNG writers would never have allowed that. Not after all the work they did to prove androids were people too.

Back to the original thread, the B reported some kind of infection then went silent. It has not been seen or heard from since. There are parallels with Donatra's "disappearance". Strange readings followed by total radio silence. She shows up twenty three years later as a Borg drone.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In regards to the A, I read somewhere once a very long time ago in a comic book no less that the Enterprise - A was stripped down and given as a 'gift' to an 'alien' government for its personal use. The person receiving the Enterprise than decided to recruit a retired James T Kirk to command the Enterprise once again for a non Federation mission in a stripped down Enterprise. In the end, Kirk survives (obviously and presumably to go onto his death in Generations) but the Enterprise A itself is destroyed defending the alien race from marauding oppressors. I forget the name of the comic book itself and keep in mind this is over fifteen years ago now...

I also recall something similar, but from the Shatner/Reeves-Stevens book Ashes of Eden. After decomissioning the A was given to aliens for their defense force and they enlisted a retired or semi-retired Kirk to command it (pre-Generations, obviously). It is then destroyed in battle.

Of course this is soft canon, which is even worse about contradictions than hard canon.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I also recall something similar, but from the Shatner/Reeves-Stevens book Ashes of Eden. After decomissioning the A was given to aliens for their defense force and they enlisted a retired or semi-retired Kirk to command it (pre-Generations, obviously). It is then destroyed in battle.

Of course this is soft canon, which is even worse about contradictions than hard canon.

I thnk your right! The name sounds very familiar.... as for it being soft canon, true. But Given the events that took place during 'Generations', I always wished Kirk had just gone down with the Enterprise - A frankly. Certainly would have been truer to his character than his movie death of 'oh my'....

:rolleyes:
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I thnk your right! The name sounds very familiar.... as for it being soft canon, true. But Given the events that took place during 'Generations', I always wished Kirk had just gone down with the Enterprise - A frankly. Certainly would have been truer to his character than his movie death of 'oh my'....

:rolleyes:

Read the Shatnerverse books. It'll make you feel better.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    That's no moon.

Well, not anymore. The Vong chewed up what was left of it to make more space ships.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ...But when it comes to the B's end, I hope it's creative.
    So the B needs to have a fate that's different, like she was "flown apart" (referencing Sulu's "Fly her apart then") during an emergency and her frame was too damaged to remain in service. (There are military ships and aircraft that actually had that happen).

I thought that worked well for the Galactica in the reimagined series' final jump.
  • Options
    dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

Yes. The story being described here is Shatner's The Ashes of Eden, a novel which was also adapted as a graphic novel. And it's a hell of a story!
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2013

No. The B4/Data story was told in the "Needs of the Many" STO novel. Spoilers..

The Daystrom Institude and Geordie managed to get Data's engrams rebooted inside of B-4 brain. Data with his more sophisticated mind would eventually grow to fill B4's positron brain and overwhelm B4's engrams. So Data started to write a program to wipe his engrams from B4's brain to give his brother to live. Geordie and Maddox were trying to get Data back because the Federation needed him. They feed him information about what was going on to convince him to come back. B4's engrams saw this and knew from Data's memories about people making sacrifices. So B4 sacrificed himself using Data's program to allow his older brother to live.

But not to worry. They have a full quantum level scan of B4. So they can recover his engrams. Once Data has ...

Well that's another story.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'm not sure if CBS is saving the 'B' for the books or perhaps a future video trek adventure, but I don't believe that STO can do much with it at this point.

CBS will never make a movie or series that takes place in the TNG or TMP timeline as it all JJs baby now.TNG movies lost money at the box office and cost them a law suit with Activision after Nemsis.

I have hard time believing that Data is the Capt. of the Enterpise E as he was killed in the Schmitar and there is no way to recover his positronic brain with his emotional chip in it Data is dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have hard time believing that Data is the Capt. of the Enterpise E as he was killed in the Schmitar and there is no way to recover his positronic brain with his emotional chip in it Data is dead.

It's considered to be canon in the game lore.

The Path to 2409, Volume 6, Chapter 3:
    ...Chief Engineer Geordi La Forge requested a long-term leave of absence from Starfleet to work on personal projects, including a plan to build and test his own starship designs. His first project, however, was to assist the team at the Soong Foundation studying the Soong-type android B-4.

With La Forge's help, on Stardate 62762.91 the team unlocked what it called the "Data Matrix," successfully accessing the personality, knowledge and memories of Data, who had downloaded this information into B-4 before his destruction in the Battle of Bassen Rift. The Data persona asserted itself over B-4's more primitive programming, and the android was then able to assist the Soong Foundation team to upgrade the positronic brain and recreate the emotion chip invented by Dr. Noonian Soong. In a statement to the Federation News Service, a representative for the team said he was confident that their work would be completed in months.

The Path to 2409, Volume 7, Chapter 6:
    A surprise guest at the wedding of Worf and Grilka was Data. With his upgrades at the Soong Foundation complete, Data requested that his commision in Starfleet be reactivated. While there were some initial questions because the Data persona was in the body once used by B-4, after Jean-Luc Picard, William T. Riker and several other current and former members of the Enterprise crew testified on Data's behalf, Starfleet Command agreed to reinstate the android. He was promoted to captain and assigned to supervise the completion of the Enterprise-E's refit.

On Stardate 63894.06, the refit of the Enterprise-E was complete and the ship, helmed by Captain Data, left the Utopia Planitia shipyards. "We are introducing a new era of exploration and peace," said Starfleet Command spokesperson Commander Marie Durant.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.