Star Trek discusion

124»

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    look at the borg drone baby
    BORN with implants
    That is not correct. Borg do not procreate, they assimilate. The infant discovered by Enterprise-D personnel was not a newborn from shipboard drones, but a child which was being artificially matured in a maturation chamber until it would be a more efficient mass. As for the implants, the assimilation process utilizes internal replication to create primary implants which then break through the skin.
    nothing to do with General order 24
    you Cleanse and sterlise infection sites (infection control)
    If you mean the planet where Chakotay was partially assimilated, then that would involve wiping out an entire colony to take out a handful of de-assimilated people who were no harm or threat to others. It would indeed be considered under the aegis of GO24, but an unjustified example, so yeah, given your other historical comments along those lines, I think they would indeed classify you Section 8... But as promised, there will be weekly kal-toh matches :)
    impossible to tell
    Very crucial distinction. If she was ever having her motor functions 'externally controlled' by the collective at any time, then Seven would not be personally responsible for any actions her body may be undertaking...
    But I mean Drones WEARING it to protect them from us
    Ahh...
    actually ANY human can

the golden rule is on assimilation repeat the phrase "I am the Borg We ARE Human"
    I don't think that any Human would be able to resist the assimilation process... While I think an immortal's regenerative abilities might initially delay the process, I think that once the nanoprobes adapt, they would use that same process to significantly increase the process...
    i can not be assimilated (im diabetic)
    How would diabetes prevent you from being assimilated? :confused:
    many species also can't be for various reasons
    Many? The only species I know of which is able to biologically resist assimilation, is the Undine. Which other species are there?
    fire arrows , throw grenades , unleash Ebola
    Ebola wouldn't be much good, as the drone's implants would maintain their biological systems and hold the disease in stasis. Other than that, yes, arrows, grenades etc would be my solutions, as mentioned, I would not want to get anywhere within reaching distance of a drone, armed or otherwise...
    and it still killed them
    Of course it did. There were only two drones, so no time for the damage information to be processed and adapted to. I'm curious to know if that would be the case in an extended conflict.
    Weapons
    the average modern human is Armed
    the average modern american owns a gun for example
    Yes. No reason for them to be unclothed though...
    their shields do not work that way (and if they did we have people who could still kill them)
    Admittedly, the Holtzman shields do have the flaw of being susceptible to slow-moving objects which I don't believe Starfleet deflectors or Borg shields have, but I was referring more to the idea of if drones shields could be permanantly activated in the face of troops with projectile rifles, rather than them simply being reactive, as they seem to be against particle weapons...
    I said a Modern human

(stronger and faster than a trek human)remember humanity has degenerated in the last few centuries
    TOS humans were stronger than TNG humans and Enterprise humans stronger still
    We in the 21st century could beat the hell out of a drone

our environment is much tougher
    we have stronger immune systems
    we are infact Physically superior in most respects
    I disagree that humanity has degenerated, and disagree that contemporary Humans are physically superior to Trek era Humans. Advances in medical technology, improvements in lifestyle mean that people live longer than before, so can see no reason why that would decrease with the passage of time. Exposure to alien illnesses would increase the range of a persons' immune system.
    A drone is slow
    Correction. Drones are shown to be slow when they have no reason to move quickly... As mentioned, Seven moved faster than Tuvok, out-thought him in terms of tactics, and was able to physically over-power him. If Vulcans have been described as having three times the strength of a Human, then Seven is clearly considerably stronger. When the crew of the Enterprise-E were fighting the drones, one crew member was brushed aside with no effort at all.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sollvax
    look at the borg drone baby
    BORN with implants

That is not correct. Borg do not procreate, they assimilate. The infant discovered by Enterprise-D personnel was not a newborn from shipboard drones, but a child which was being artificially matured in a maturation chamber until it would be a more efficient mass. As for the implants, the assimilation process utilizes internal replication to create primary implants which then break through the skin.

refering to the one in voyager when Seven brings additional borg aboard and janeway once again declines to use terminal force

Quote:
    nothing to do with General order 24
    you Cleanse and sterlise infection sites (infection control)

If you mean the planet where Chakotay was partially assimilated, then that would involve wiping out an entire colony to take out a handful of de-assimilated people who were no harm or threat to others.

everyone down there was borg
    they were being re-assimilated
    It would indeed be considered under the aegis of GO24, but an unjustified example, so yeah, given your other historical comments along those lines, I think they would indeed classify you Section 8... But as promised, there will be weekly kal-toh matches

its not termination of a civilisation OR an attack on a living ecosystem
    its like burning a viral sample

Quote:
    impossible to tell

Very crucial distinction. If she was ever having her motor functions 'externally controlled' by the collective at any time, then Seven would not be personally responsible for any actions her body may be undertaking...

as there is no "she" the drone is always acting as a drone
    Quote:
    But I mean Drones WEARING it to protect them from us

Ahh...

particularly some of the ones that protect against kinetic force
    Quote:
    actually ANY human can

the golden rule is on assimilation repeat the phrase "I am the Borg We ARE Human"

I don't think that any Human would be able to resist the assimilation process... While I think an immortal's regenerative abilities might initially delay the process, I think that once the nanoprobes adapt, they would use that same process to significantly increase the process...
    According to some (soft canon) sources the Borg Avoid telepathic species and hive minds precisely because a stronger will can over ride the Collective to some degree
    This is why species like the Chitik (insectoid hive mind) and the Binars (electronic communal mind) are not targets for assimilation

Quote:
    i can not be assimilated (im diabetic)

How would diabetes prevent you from being assimilated?

The Borg seek Perfection
    id be treated as "unfit for assimilation"
    the nanites simply would not bother

Quote:
    many species also can't be for various reasons

Many? The only species I know of which is able to biologically resist assimilation, is the Undine. Which other species are there?
    several
    Tholians for a start (crystaline) energy races , biomorphics , the Chitik , some other telepathic hive minds , anything with a protoplasm base , horta
    etc etc
    Quote:
    fire arrows , throw grenades , unleash Ebola

Ebola wouldn't be much good, as the drone's implants would maintain their biological systems and hold the disease in stasis. Other than that, yes, arrows, grenades etc would be my solutions, as mentioned, I would not want to get anywhere within reaching distance of a drone, armed or otherwise...
    actually ebola would EAT the drone (no immune system)
    Quote:
    and it still killed them

Of course it did. There were only two drones, so no time for the damage information to be processed and adapted to. I'm curious to know if that would be the case in an extended conflict.

their ability to adapt is not sufficient in small numbers (if the local collective is small enough they adapt slower)

Quote:
    Weapons
    the average modern human is Armed
    the average modern american owns a gun for example

Yes. No reason for them to be unclothed though...

My daily clothing includes steel toe capped boots (a weapon) a belt with a buckle (a weapon) and thick heavy gloves (allowing me to rip out implants and mess the up)

Quote:
    their shields do not work that way (and if they did we have people who could still kill them)

Admittedly, the Holtzman shields do have the flaw of being susceptible to slow-moving objects which I don't believe Starfleet deflectors or Borg shields have, but I was referring more to the idea of if drones shields could be permanantly activated in the face of troops with projectile rifles, rather than them simply being reactive, as they seem to be against particle weapons...

Then we use a reverse polarity surge (with thanks to Data for that) and implode the shield
    Quote:
    I said a Modern human

(stronger and faster than a trek human)remember humanity has degenerated in the last few centuries
    TOS humans were stronger than TNG humans and Enterprise humans stronger still
    We in the 21st century could beat the hell out of a drone

our environment is much tougher
    we have stronger immune systems
    we are infact Physically superior in most respects

I disagree that humanity has degenerated, and disagree that contemporary Humans are physically superior to Trek era Humans.

your right to an opinion is of course recognised
    Advances in medical technology, improvements in lifestyle mean that people live longer than before, so can see no reason why that would decrease with the passage of time.

exactly

A Healthy person in the middle ages was tougher than his 19th century counter part
    Each generation medical ability improves and the gene pool weakens slightly
    people who would not have lived to breed (like me and my brother diabetics) now do
    each new generation will have more people who only exist because of medical advances
    Exposure to alien illnesses would increase the range of a persons' immune system.
    And tri spectrum anti virals would cancel that out
    examine the situation when 20th century men encounter TOS officers (they bounce them off the walls)

Quote:
    A drone is slow

Correction. Drones are shown to be slow when they have no reason to move quickly... As mentioned, Seven moved faster than Tuvok, out-thought him in terms of tactics, and was able to physically over-power him.

seven as I said has "bimbo powers" if seven had been 13 stone 50 years old and covered in implant scars she would have been slow
    If Vulcans have been described as having three times the strength of a Human, then Seven is clearly considerably stronger. When the crew of the Enterprise-E were fighting the drones, one crew member was brushed aside with no effort at all.
    And a drone was also killed with a punch
    Live long and Prosper
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    According to some (soft canon) sources the Borg Avoid telepathic species and hive minds precisely because a stronger will can over ride the Collective to some degree
    This is why species like the Chitik (insectoid hive mind) and the Binars (electronic communal mind) are not targets for assimilation
    And some sources claim that the Borg Collective is in part a telepathic mind link..... Non-canon sources differ greatly here.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2013
    True

but they do seem to avoid assimilating telepaths
    Live long and Prosper
    edited January 2013
    refering to the one in voyager when Seven brings additional borg aboard and janeway once again declines to use terminal force
    Same difference, it was still an assimilated child in a maturation chamber (possibly even surgically removed from its pregnant mother) not an infant conceived between drones.

As for 'bringing additional Borg aboard', as previously mentioned, disconnected drones should be classified as injured friendlies, not hostiles... Seven made no attempt to link any of the Borg children into a Voyager-based collective, so your argument is nonsensical.
    Were they?
    As before, disconnected drones should be classified as injured friendlies and treated accordingly.
    The Human personality had re-asserted itself, albeit being filtered though a neurologically restructured brain... As I mentioned before, if a remote control car gets its aerial snapped off, it can no longer be controlled remotely. The Doctor removed over 80% of the Borg hardware, and Chakotay's little trick at the end of Scorpion fried her 'aerial'... I doubt the collective (or the Borg Queen) was even capable of controlling her actions.
    Interesting :)
    The Borg seek Perfection
    The assimilation process would be able to compensate...
    They don't need an immune system. The implants maintain their biological systems...
    their ability to adapt is not sufficient in small numbers (if the local collective is small enough they adapt slower)
    Same situation as when the Enterprise-D came into contact with the Cube at Q's pranking... The first few drones were overcome by phaser fire, others were then adapted to them. That is what I was meaning.
    My daily clothing includes steel toe capped boots (a weapon) a belt with a buckle (a weapon) and thick heavy gloves (allowing me to rip out implants and mess the up)
    Hmmm... While you're trying to fist-fight a drone, those assimilation talons will be doing quite a number on you... As I said, I wouldn't want one any closer than a naginata to me...
    Then we use a reverse polarity surge (with thanks to Data for that) and implode the shield
    :)
    exactly

A Healthy person in the middle ages was tougher than his 19th century counter part
    people who would not have lived to breed (like me and my brother diabetics) now do
    each new generation will have more people who only exist because of medical advances
    Hmmm..
    examine the situation when 20th century men encounter TOS officers (they bounce them off the walls)
    Plot necessity...
    seven as I said has "bimbo powers" if seven had been 13 stone 50 years old and covered in implant scars she would have been slow
    I don't remember seeing any 13 stone drones...
    From whom? I remember Data snapping a drone's neck, and Worf pistol-whipping another with his phaser rifle... Can't remember any drones being killed with a punch though...
    edited January 2013
    Quote:

Same difference, it was still an assimilated child in a maturation chamber (possibly even surgically removed from its pregnant mother) not an infant conceived between drones.

but definately had implants

As for 'bringing additional Borg aboard', as previously mentioned, disconnected drones should be classified as injured friendlies, not hostiles... Seven made no attempt to link any of the Borg children into a Voyager-based collective, so your argument is nonsensical.

She openly said "yes we are borg"
    And put them in alcoves
    Quote:

Were they?

yes the whole plot refers to the de-assimilates wanting to force others back into the collective

Quote:

As before, disconnected drones should be classified as injured friendlies and treated accordingly.

or as plague carriers or rabid animals
    the borg are a virus
    Quote:

The Human personality had re-asserted itself, albeit being filtered though a neurologically restructured brain... As I mentioned before, if a remote control car gets its aerial snapped off, it can no longer be controlled remotely. The Doctor removed over 80% of the Borg hardware, and Chakotay's little trick at the end of Scorpion fried her 'aerial'... I doubt the collective (or the Borg Queen) was even capable of controlling her actions.

did not need to
    she was programmed to act as a borg in all situations
    Quote:

Interesting

to do with "confusion" this also occurs with the borg when they were handed the poison chalice in voyager
    Quote:
    The Borg seek Perfection

The assimilation process would be able to compensate...

they tend to not bother with anyone "imperfect"

Quote:

They don't need an immune system. The implants maintain their biological systems...
    actually the biological systems also maintain the metal
    but a borg has no immune system (thus why viral weapons work on them)
    Quote:

Same situation as when the Enterprise-D came into contact with the Cube at Q's pranking... The first few drones were overcome by phaser fire, others were then adapted to them. That is what I was meaning.

yes I understand that

Quote:

Hmmm... While you're trying to fist-fight a drone, those assimilation talons will be doing quite a number on you... As I said, I wouldn't want one any closer than a naginata to me...

or not of course
    remember drone= slow , dumb , zombie
    Me = Angry

Hmmm..

its a valid medical fact we are getting weaker
    Quote:

Plot necessity...

really funny however
    Quote:

I don't remember seeing any 13 stone drones...

All the female drones seem to be "slinky" which is weird isn't it

Quote:

From whom? I remember Data snapping a drone's neck, and Worf pistol-whipping another with his phaser rifle... Can't remember any drones being killed with a punch though...
    Worf I think

Also one got rifle butted by expendible dude
    Live long and Prosper
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    or not of course
    Me = Angry

The assimilated Tarkaleans in "Regeneration" moved pretty quickly during their fight with Reed.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited January 2013
    Recent drones (like fresh zombies) are slightly faster
    they have not begun to fall apart yet
    Live long and Prosper
    edited January 2013
    but definately had implants
    As explained in my previous post. Some implants are internally replicated by the nanoprobes as part of the assimilation process. During Picard's nightmare in First Contact, he recalled an implant breaking through his face. When Voyager passed close enough to the Raven for Seven to be affected by its 'distress signal', the nanoprobes in her blood began internally replicating new implants. One was seen breaking through her hand/wrist, and when the Doctor reviewed the biodata from her transport, he commented about the amount of hardware which had 're-grown'. That is why the baby(s) in question had implants, not because they were 'born with them'.
    She openly said "yes we are borg"
    In the biological sense to create a united community, not in a "WE ARE THE BORG. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE..." manner...
    And put them in alcoves
    They needed the alcoves to recharge/regulate/maintain their cybernetic systems, it was hardly a 'recruitment drive'...
    yes the whole plot refers to the de-assimilates wanting to force others back into the collective
    I'll have to review this episode before commenting further upon it...
    or as plague carriers or rabid animals
    the borg are a virus
    Maybe so, but that does not mean that they need to be euthanized.
    did not need to
    she was programmed to act as a borg in all situations
    Her neural pathways had been restructured, so it is true that the processes of her thoughts were no longer the same as an unassimilated Human, but that is not the same as programming. Her demeanor was learned behavior, nothing more. Again, if the Collective actually possessed the power to take over her motor functions, they would have done so, but they did not, instead, the Borg Queen could only intimidate and coerce her, in situations where non-compliance would have been illogical and likely resulted in forcible re-assimilation into the Collective, something Seven had come to dread, not welcome.
    they tend to not bother with anyone "imperfect"
    Picard had an artificial heart, yet he was still assimilated...
    actually the biological systems also maintain the metal
    but a borg has no immune system (thus why viral weapons work on them)
    In addition to the technological immune system, the collective 'energy' of the Collective allowed for rapid biological regeneration, like the Quickening (which is why I believe that nanoprobes would be able to adapt to the Quickening and assimilate an immortal Human)
    or not of course
    Me = Angry
    And would be no more effective than a 13 year old girl trying to fight off a 200lb rapist...
    its a valid medical fact we are getting weaker
    It's definitely an interesting proposal, and one I cannot truly refute...
    really funny however
    No different though to how both Captain Kirk (the Real Kirk, not JJ's *****...) and Buck Rogers were able to defeat numerous opponents (often Royal bodyguards, who should be considerably better trained than the average minion) with nothing more than some kind of crude Judo... I wonder who would win in a fight between Kirk and Buck... :confused:
    All the female drones seem to be "slinky" which is weird isn't it
    Ratings...
    Worf I think
    Who is stronger than the average Human...
    Also one got rifle butted by expendible dude
    If I remember, the drone didn't seem bothered by the impact and slammed the expendable dude into the wall like a rag-doll with minimal effort...
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's definitely an interesting proposal, and one I cannot truly refute...
    Only in a sense of what constitutes average. Less people today do manual labor daily, thus the average went down.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg