What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Steamrunner problems.

Comments

• Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Funny, I was impressed at just how well he responded to every point! How was he being defensive? Not trying to start something, just curious. As for the ship itself, I think its an interesting design ... reminds me of the NX Enterprise. Is it worth the purchase price and if so, how come there aren't more of them flying around?

There is no vitriol in my previous post, simply stating fact as I've seen it. to the best of my knowledge, only the Defiant received any real attention post release. I have neither the time nor any real desire to go back and review patch notes. If you happen to have screen shots of pre and post fix on ships like the Sovereign, that'd be great. Otherwise, don't get so defensive. I wasn't slamming CapnLogan, I was simply stating a fact. He became upset with the number of requests for updates and tweaks to existing ship models. Cryptic was at a low point with a lack of personnel, requiring everyone to multi-task. Logan felt he would be better off somewhere else.

That being said, I did notice a change in the T6 hull material, allowing it to be seen similarly to the Odyssey and Regent. Thank you for that, Jamz.

Jamz, would a similar thread for the current Defiant-class be considered? The lack of appropriate hull patterns & accent lighting would be a most welcome update.
  • Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    You mean the ship with the screwed up navigation lights?

... Yes, "any" "real" attention.

The previous and current incarnation of the Defiant-class.

http://screenshots.stoarchive.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/screenshot_2010-06-28-22-55-33.jpg

http://www.stowiki.org/images/8/87/Default_Defiant_Class.jpg
  • Options
    kirahitomikirahitomi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Out of respect for the OP lets try to keep things on the original topic of the Steamrunner-Class, I'm sure there are other posts where discussing the Defiant-Class or Cryptics past/present employees for that matter would be more appropriate...
    "Lets see what this button does..."
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Heres hoping... ;):):D
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Says it's updating the textures so the textures display correctly.

That tells me there aren't any major aesthetic changes to the Steamrunner. The patch notes have said in the past that a certain ship was changed to "reflect canon more closely" or some such.

I don't predict any of us will be getting our wish with this coming patch.

But, I do hope I'm proven wrong. It seems the Steamrunner has quite the following in STO. :)
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Those are not the textures we were looking for ;) :P LOL
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The ship needs two things to make it perfect: Floodlights on the name and registry areas and the impulse engines in the most OBVIOUS area of the ship, that being back of the saucer where the modeller has *clearly* cut into the model to be textured as impulse engines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    renegadejtx1701renegadejtx1701 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ozy83 wrote: »
    The ship needs two things to make it perfect: Floodlights on the name and registry areas and the impulse engines in the most OBVIOUS area of the ship, that being back of the saucer where the modeller has *clearly* cut into the model to be textured as impulse engines.

AG

If the Low-rez model is REALLY being used as the canon model for this ship, then why have the name and registry been reversed, top to bottom? The ILM model has the name on top, with the registry number underneath. The in-game model has this reversed, with the strange (and occasional in-game only) registry on top, and name on the bottom.

But... well, I guess since there are no floodlights on the name or registry, I guess nobody noticed.

IF indeed canon is SO important here, then surely, this MUST be fixed.

Either way... please please PLEASE just put floodlights ON! It will make a world of difference!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Now now lets be patient, we know they are working on things and we know this thread is being watched so lets give it some time. I'm sure they are swamped with the new things coming and we've already gotten some texture fixes for her, hopefully the registry lights/errors and the impulse engines are on the "to do" list so lets see what the coming days turn up.
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think the recess strips on the pylons were intended to be sensor strips just like we see on the galaxy and intrepid classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Are we talking about the dual strips on the rear ventral/dorsal portion of the pylons to the left and right of the deflector or the recessed strip immediately aft of the ship on the pylons where the impulse engines "shouldn't" be?
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    kirahitomi wrote: »
    Are we talking about the dual strips on the rear ventral/dorsal portion of the pylons to the left and right of the deflector or the recessed strip immediately aft of the ship on the pylons where the impulse engines "shouldn't" be?

I believe we are talking about the latter.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ah, well in that case I would have to agree that that seems most likely given the fact that the fore of the ship already has what appears to be sensor sections and since the deflector is mounted to the aft of the ship the aft leading edge of the pylons would make the most sense.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ah, well in that case I would have to agree that that seems most likely given the fact that the fore of the ship already has what appears to be sensor sections and since the deflector is mounted to the aft of the ship the aft leading edge of the pylons would make the most sense.

I agree. The indents in the rear of the saucer look like they are intended to be the engines, not the thin pylons. Since when in Star Trek is the impulse engines IN the pylons?

(Intrepid doesn't count. The impulse engines are built ON the pylons)
    thanatos9t wrote: »
    How does this look (a simple edit in photoshop)
    steamrunnerimproved.jpg

Makes such a difference to the model.

Beautiful.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I agree. The indents in the rear of the saucer look like they are intended to be the engines, not the thin pylons. Since when in Star Trek is the impulse engines IN the pylons?

(Intrepid doesn't count. The impulse engines are built ON the pylons)

I fully agree with you, in fact after reading your post I went and did some research in game and other places and found that with certain exceptions (which I'll list below) all Federation ships have their impulse drives placed on either the saucer section or the neck/hull. The few exceptions that have their impulse engines on the pylons its extremely obvious that they were built as either a secondary drive or as an addition to the pylon.

Lets examine these impulse pylons;
    Regent - Obviously meant as a secondary drive system as the primary is located on the saucer section.
    Odyssey - Same as Regent
    Intrepid - Impulse built into pylons as an addition not integrally.
    Intrepid Variants - Primaries on saucer section, secondaries built into pylons as an addition not integrally.
    Chimera - Primaries on saucer section, secondaries built integrally.
    Vesta (and its variants) - Primaries on saucer section, secondaries built into pylons as an addition not integrally.

So there seems to be a very defining building principle here thats not being followed with the Steamrunner model.

Looking at her original model from the back (even though the texturing is horribly stretched from the rear) you can see NO cutouts or additions to the pylons that would suggest either a primary or secondary impulse drive placement.
    http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/steamrunner_back.jpg

Looking at her from the top once again shows no additions to the modeling or texturing that would suggest impulse drives in the pylons. However from the top we do see clearly in the texturing on the rear of the saucer section on either side of the shuttlebay the fluting into the impulse engines. Which fits squarely into Federation design philosophies.
    http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/steamrunner_top1.jpg

For those, who like me, are extremely big fans of the Steamrunner class check out this complete super high detail 3D model of the her.
    http://www.gamegringo.com/gameGringo_01/startrek/PropCreation/images/SteamrunnerModel.jpg
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited January 2013

For those, who like me, are extremely big fans of the Steamrunner class check out this complete super high detail 3D model of the her.
    http://www.gamegringo.com/gameGringo_01/startrek/PropCreation/images/SteamrunnerModel.jpg

Wow, I love where that guy went with the design, giant torpedo launchers ftw!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Wow, I love where that guy went with the design, giant torpedo launchers ftw!

Lol, as interesting a notion as that is, more then likely its heavy armored plating surrounding the torpedo tubes/forward cannon array assemblies. As one can well imagine vital components in an obvious place on a starship are likely to be considered first for targeting by opponents warranting heavy armor and/or extra shielding.
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing that design as a variant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    kirahitomi, good find. There's a lot missing from the game's Steamrunner that was made apparent in your link.
  • Options
    renegadejtx1701renegadejtx1701 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Oh wow... that is STUNNING. Yes... YES... THIS is RIGHT! Now where are the floodlights? lol jk
  • Options
    andyslashandyslash Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    anyone else missing their strobe lights on their steamrunner? i was idling a bit and noticed that my Steamrunner retro did not have any of the strobes on. I had the navigational lights(red and green) but no blinkers.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Detailed, Rational, Reasonable, Well Thought Out, Fact-Based, Logical, and Constructive Information regarding the Steamrunner.

You win one free internet, sir. I have not seen something that epic in an STO forum thread in a very long time.

It probably would have just been easier for me to say 'I agree'. But this deserves special commendation.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    10/10 people say, the impulse engines look better on saucer....well maybe add another variant ? pylons without engines, and hull with engines ? In that way all parties are happy.

It doesn't make sense to put them there anyway, why lead the impulse exhaust across whole ship, when obviously the reactor is in the saucer section.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    You win one free internet, sir. I have not seen something that epic in an STO forum thread in a very long time.

It probably would have just been easier for me to say 'I agree'. But this deserves special commendation.

Well thank you very much.

I'm in school for game art and one of the things we've learned about thus far is how tv, movie, and game companies sometimes use texture skins on low res models to save on production times and costs. These are mostly used for objects that are going to remain background pieces and/or going to be motion blurred. Every now and then it becomes necessary to take one of these background pieces out of the background and into the foreground. When doing so (especially when detailed references aren't available) it becomes necessary to draw heavily on the details included in the texture skin mixed with some creative license and a desire for what you want people (and in some cases a desire for what the people expect) to see.

At this point I'm just trying to put some of my schooling to use, if anything JamJamz and the whole STO art crew deserve the credit, working on our nit-picks as well as developing new, interesting content all the while not ripping off the heads of the over-complainers. ;) They're the professionals here I'm just a student that happens to be a little much obsessed with the Steamrunner lol. :D
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

now that is an amazing model. sure the level of detail couldn't be pulled off here, but the ventral phaser array placement, the arch at the back of the saucer being integrated instead of being a pointless arch, the impulse engines, and the big o'll torp launchers or DHC ports in the nose i like much better then the in game interpretation. and i think the steemy in game is one of the best done models so far, regardless of artist's prerogative issues i have with it.
  • Options
    sway82sway82 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There is no official canon reference to where the impulse engines are. Both of the images you linked are not canon.
    ... In any case, we never get a close enough shot of the canon version of the ship (as intended by the original creators) to get a good idea of where, exactly, they should be.

The Nebula has no impulse engines in canon either. Why not remove them from the current Steamrunner model if you don't want to move them into the saucer section? That would be canon at least.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sway82 wrote: »
    The Nebula has no impulse engines in canon either. Why not remove them from the current Steamrunner model if you don't want to move them into the saucer section? That would be canon at least.

This is true, and a rationalization had been given for it too. It might also be why when Infinite Space was being made (with help from Mike Okuda) they also didn't put any visible impulse engine ports on the Steamrunner: STIS Steamrunner-class.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"