test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Event Competitive Race - "The Fast and the Flurrious"

Comments

• darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hey there Devs.

You may or may not have noticed but instead of turning right at the first corner you can keep running over the edge, thus cutting out over half of the track. The game does NOT disqualify you for this cheating.

Can this please be fixed. I like running the race as it was intended to have been run and I'm pretty sure you guys would want to race to run as you created it.

Hope it makes it in for the next patch.

Cheers!!
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think that people should be allowed to carry on using the exploit.. but forefit ALL of thier autographs >: D, and no longer be allowed to participate in the other race :)

the still get a chance for the cruiser... just gotta open their wallet :p
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well that cheat would explain why I was the only one to run it after the first lag and did to get a damn thing for finishing.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hey there Devs.

You may or may not have noticed but instead of turning right at the first corner you can keep running over the edge, thus cutting out over half of the track. The game does NOT disqualify you for this cheating.

Can this please be fixed. I like running the race as it was intended to have been run and I'm pretty sure you guys would want to race to run as you created it.

Hope it makes it in for the next patch.

Cheers!!

I'm so so glad you decided to read the thread before posting this. Even reading the previous page would have been nice....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • tribble2013tribble2013 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    topset wrote: »
    I'm so so glad you decided to read the thread before posting this. Even reading the previous page would have been nice....

His post was moved from General Community Feedback and merged with this thread, that's how I found it :)
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hello, loving the winter wonderland so far, i do like me some collectables.

Although, at least twice now people have just pretty much insta-won by taking some kind of shortcut. I thought you got kicked if you left the track? It's getting really difficult to get those chirstmassy epohs, because i can never win in a race.

I'm pretty sure im not going the right way, i've had races where people have followed the path like normal, but many others where im in the lead and the next second the race is over. Dafuc? This ain't cool cryptic.

Anyone else getting this? Is it even a bug/exploit? or am i just being really dim...?
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There's a spot where you can jump down on a lower part of the track without being disqualified (unless you land badly and are thrown out on the other side). Cryptic wants to fix it, probably next Thursday. Until then everybody who knows about it uses it.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Until it's fixed, "cheating" (as it's called) is how the race is run. I'm all for a fix, but until then, I'm gonna be the first one going over the cliff.

Also, when they fix it- I hope they put up a wall or a guard rail, rather than simply disqualifying those who go over the edge. That's an easy one to slide off of on accident.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No wall, just put this when they try to jump the cliff....http://youtu.be/32kN5r-YZFY?t=32s
    GwaoHAD.png
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    Once this is fixed, falling off that ledge will disqualify you. No wall will be added - it's intended to be a hazard to be avoided.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for this post Cryptic.

Now fix it so those doing the entire track don't completely loose out on their chance on being 1st place.

Once this is fixed, falling off that ledge will disqualify you. No wall will be added - it's intended to be a hazard to be avoided.

Nevermind.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012

The Dev's have sopken.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS:eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To be honest, I too thought that the cliff was supposed to be how you get to the end. I have to say that I was confused when I got a rush of PMs saying "Cheater!" Never expected that. In any case, I needed the accolade anyway. :(
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012

And this patch will be available next week, Thursday?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • gbehlpnu2012gbehlpnu2012 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So I've ran this race to death and win each time without cheating by jumping over the cliff. I don't know if it was an oversight, but this is how it works.

I run toward the inside edge of the 1st turn and don't stop running. As soon as I have line of sight around the corner, I point my guy in that direction and do a double tap ROLL. It immediately rolls me in the new direction, and I'm able to run again 1 sec later. Using this method vs someone who stops running and slides, will win by the length of the entire last leg of the race

So I guess there's only one thing to do devs...nerf it.

BTW, while I love the giant Breen ship above, I wish you guys took more liberty with making the starting point of the race up where the ship is? The race needs elevation...maybe a couple of big slides and jumps down...the race lacks any real excitement, ya I really wish you guys did something a little more with integrating that ship into the race somehow so we got closer to it.

GMAN
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Does this mean we can get other players disqualified with a well timed snowball?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    And this patch will be available next week, Thursday?

IMHO, I think its too late. Tons of people already have the accolade and enough Epohh Tags to have a whole liter of pups.

But hey, it'll be fixed for next year's event. :P
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Are you going to fix tags being rewarded. 5 races, not one tag! All I get is that I finished the race and that is it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/screenshot2012120722240.jpg/
  • jamesburtchelljamesburtchell Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    is there an easier way to get the holiday stuff? i mean like the candles and such? last year we had a box that after each race we got some free.. this year there is none
    The Emperor isn't please with Cryptic apparent lack of progress for the Empire. Lord Vader is on his way
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    is there an easier way to get the holiday stuff? i mean like the candles and such? last year we had a box that after each race we got some free.. this year there is none

Dig through the snow piles around the place...

... there's a small chance to get items each time you do.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • tribbleorlfltribbleorlfl Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    lindaleff wrote: »
    To be honest, I too thought that the cliff was supposed to be how you get to the end. I have to say that I was confused when I got a rush of PMs saying "Cheater!" Never expected that. In any case, I needed the accolade anyway. :(

I'm in the same boat. I've been out of pocket this week on business travel. Figured I'd spend some time when I got home trying out all of these winter events that were hyped up.

Once I finally figured out how to participate in the event (thanks fleet chat, no help from zone chat), I witnessed 6 people jump the cliff and burn me to the finish line. I thought this was a legitimate strategy so I employed it on the next race. Upon completion, received some extremely immature pm's, notified I had been reported for cheating and then put on ignore when I tried to explain the situation.

I'm a professional father of two, so I have no desire to exploit this game and set a poor example for my children (who often enjoy being my co-pilots when I play), thus won't do this again. However, when I have always been a positive and respectful player in this game, I don't appreciate being "tattled on" for something like this. Can someone from Cryptic opine if I'm in danger of having my account supended over this?
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited December 2012

And all the people who used the exploit?
  • thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    And all the people who used the exploit?

Nothing is going to happen to them.
  • continuum4t7continuum4t7 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    While I'm glad the racing exploit will be fixed, I just wanted to share my opinion on it and what I think Cryptic and Star Trek in general mean to it.

I'm a BIG fan of the original series and the next generation, the two series's I most believe try to teach us that we can better ourselves, become more than we are. To me that's one of the founding ideas behind everything to do with Star Trek.

The people who are honest, have high integrity, try to better themselves, do the right thing... they are getting ripped to shreds over this exploit. In the race they lose out for doing the right thing, and in zone chat they're being treated horribly for standing by their beliefs.

This is not a STO hate post. I absolutely love this game to the point I've literally spent a fortune on it. I write this as a plea to Cryptic to please be more careful in the future. An exploit like this, even unintended, can strike at the very hearts of some Star Trek fans like myself believing in those ideals the show was founded on, whos name this game carries.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This exploit is still not as bad as the Fountain exploit.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is not a STO hate post. I absolutely love this game to the point I've literally spent a fortune on it. I write this as a plea to Cryptic to please be more careful in the future. An exploit like this, even unintended, can strike at the very hearts of some Star Trek fans like myself believing in those ideals the show was founded on, whos name this game carries.

You're right. Remember Kirk and the Kobyashi Maru? It's very Star Trek to decide that you can bend the rules...and then do so.

There's nothing contrary to the ideals of Star Trek in that.

After all...what does Q need with a racetrack?
  • timpantstimpants Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    While I'm glad the racing exploit will be fixed, I just wanted to share my opinion on it and what I think Cryptic and Star Trek in general mean to it.

I'm a BIG fan of the original series and the next generation, the two series's I most believe try to teach us that we can better ourselves, become more than we are. To me that's one of the founding ideas behind everything to do with Star Trek.

The people who are honest, have high integrity, try to better themselves, do the right thing... they are getting ripped to shreds over this exploit. In the race they lose out for doing the right thing, and in zone chat they're being treated horribly for standing by their beliefs.

Isn't a big part of Kirk's backstory that he programmed an exploit into the Kobayashi Maru program in order to cheat and therefore win?
    edited December 2012
    timpants wrote: »
    Isn't a big part of Kirk's backstory that he programmed an exploit into the Kobayashi Maru program in order to cheat and therefore win?

These guys are right. Hacking the Kobayashi Maru is an established and significant portion of Star Trek lore.

This means that if I use an exploit to skip the race track, or use a glitch to complete a Fleet Action for instant Dilithium, or hack the Tailoring system so I can have access to costume parts I shouldn't have, they won't take any actions.

The devs know all these exploits happen, they just don't take action against anyone because hacking is part of Star Trek.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    These guys are right. Hacking the Kobayashi Maru is an established and significant portion of Star Trek lore.

This means that if I use an exploit to skip the race track, or use a glitch to complete a Fleet Action for instant Dilithium, or hack the Tailoring system so I can have access to costume parts I shouldn't have, they won't take any actions.

The devs know all these exploits happen, they just don't take action against anyone because hacking is part of Star Trek.

There's a clear difference I can see in making a jump- which is as I said earlier an established part of racing lore and doesn't guarantee a victory in any event- and a programming glitch.

The fact that it might not have been an intended possibility is unfortunate but hardly earth-shattering.
    edited December 2012
    squishkin wrote: »
    There's a clear difference I can see in making a jump- which is as I said earlier an established part of racing lore and doesn't guarantee a victory in any event- and a programming glitch.

The fact that it might not have been an intended possibility is unfortunate but hardly earth-shattering.

No you guys were right; I'm agreeing with you. Kirk TRIBBLE the Kobayashi Maru and Q just changes reality how he wants. Bending the rules is part of Star Trek lore, heck they probably expected us to find some sort of shortcut in the game. The devs know this and that's why they don't punish it.

Besides, it's only a game, and the rewards are small things like epohh tags or dilithium or whatever.
This discussion has been closed.