test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Event Competitive Race - "The Fast and the Flurrious"

jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
We'll be adding an official to this race to explain the mechanics of how it works, but this posting should give you a better explanation of how the race starts and how you can participate.

* The competitive race takes place on its own track. If you are in the gazebo with Q, look for the staircase that has a sign indicating "Fastest Game on Ice" and "Fast and the Flurrious." Head down the stairs, then up the hill to your right to reach the start area for the competitive race.

* The competitive race happens 15 minutes after the hour, then again 22 minutes after the hour, 45 minutes, and 52 minutes. You'll know it's on because you'll see "The Fast and the Flurrious" pop up on your mission tracker.

* When the race pops up, it will show a 1-minute countdown timer. This is your chance to get to the starting area.

* Once you're at the starting area, stand on the wooden platform behind the wooden gate and click "Join the Race." You should see a big green "Waiting for Race" over your head if you're in the right spot at the right time.

* Wait for the announcer to call for the race start. The gate will drop. Follow the track and race!

* When you reach the end of the track, you need to grab your place flag. 1st place is the first person to grab the 1st place flag! Once the flag is grabbed, a 2nd place flag will appear, then a 3rd place flag. If all three places have been grabbed, anyone left in the race just needs to reach the end zone to finish.

* If you leave the track during the race, you will be disqualified from the event.

* If the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place flags have been taken while you're still racing, you have 1 minute to reach the end of the race track.

* Once nobody is left racing (either because they've all reached the end or been disqualified), the race will end automatically.

* If you finish the race, you will earn winter epohh tags based on your placing:
1st place: 12 tags
2nd place: 6 tags
3rd place: 3 tags
Participant: 2 tags

* Take your winter epohh tags to the Romulan winter epohh researcher in the gazebo. For 6 tags, you can track one of the winter epohhs as a duty officer assignment (biologist or research lab scientist). When the mission finishes, you will get a random winter epohh baby!

* If you run the race to the finish without being disqualified 20 times, or win 1st place in the race, you will earn the Accolade: Fast and Flurrious, which unlocks the title of the same name.

Run fast and have fun!
Post edited by jheinig on

Comments

• thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have yet to receive epohh tags for completing the race, I've only received them for grabbing a flag. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? It's also rather odd design for the 2nd and 3rd place flags to have a different placement than the 1st place flag, meaning in a tightly contested race if you fail to grab 1st it's very likely you'll slide out of position and also miss 2nd and 3rd.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have yet to receive epohh tags for completing the race, I've only received them for grabbing a flag. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? It's also rather odd design for the 2nd and 3rd place flags to have a different placement than the 1st place flag, meaning in a tightly contested race if you fail to grab 1st it's very likely you'll slide out of position and also miss 2nd and 3rd.

Same issue here, I don't seem to be getting tags for simply completing and reaching the final area.

You actually stand a better chance of getting 2nd if you hang back and get to the end in 4th/5th place because everyone slides wildly towards 1st place. Strange mechanic!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There is also a really significant and very obvious cheat where you can skip about 2/3s of the course, so that probably needs to be fixed.
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There is also a really significant and very obvious cheat where you can skip about 2/3s of the course, so that probably needs to be fixed.

Seen this twice myself.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You really should've added a Red Alert so people know when an events occuring!

Also would've been nice if there was a solo version so casual players don't have to wait for a stupid timer!
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited December 2012

This just told me not to waste my time then

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • maxxinamaxxina Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You know if you jump from the cliff in first turn, you dont get kicked from race. So its kinda pointless to run ? Fix that, really . or noone will run it
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    maxxina wrote: »
    You know if you jump from the cliff in first turn, you dont get kicked from race. So its kinda pointless to run ? Fix that, really . or noone will run it

It will be fixed.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I thought you were SUPPOSED to jump from the cliff, lol.
  • wunjeewunjee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've found that if you talk to Q until he turns you into a targ, it makes the race a whole lot easier because the targ seems to get better "traction" and is smaller so you eat up less track while turning.
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Completed race, not awards tags...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • tequilla56tequilla56 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    wolfpacknz wrote: »

and to those others not getting tags...

Here's an idea...

dont cheat....

Just cause you CAN jump off the cliff... doesnt mean you should.

Have run the race MANY times... dont care bout winning... Gotten 2 tags every single time except...

A. when I was DQ'd (first time at it)
    B. When like everyone else I jumped at the first corner.... (wanted to see all the hubbub was about).

So far.. I have found.. When U COMPLETE the track.. U get the tags... Simple.
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tequilla56 wrote: »
    and to those others not getting tags...

Here's an idea...

dont cheat....

Just cause you CAN jump off the cliff... doesnt mean you should.

Have run the race MANY times... dont care bout winning... Gotten 2 tags every single time except...

A. when I was DQ'd (first time at it)
    B. When like everyone else I jumped at the first corner.... (wanted to see all the hubbub was about).

So far.. I have found.. When U COMPLETE the track.. U get the tags... Simple.

Wow good advice, since i DIDNT cheat, I ran the course...

Oh and heres more I just saw a guy take first and second place
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • theofficialmip#7339 theofficialmip Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Fun but too short.:)
    One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
    Forum Member Since Feb 2010
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The race is flawed. I have done it 4 times, half the time you have people who were never in the start area already at the finish and grabbed a flag. The other times I do finish and the flags are there I can not "grab" I can only guess that my cursor will change to "grab it because nothing works. It is a waste of time. I went to a low pop server and only myself and another started it. When we got to the end there was the 2nd and 3rd place flags, but I could not "grab" them. I put in ticket, but doubt I will hear anything before the end of the year. I have not received a single tag. I see the green flashing race about to start, I run when gates go down. I easily stay in course, but I don't get TRIBBLE and people somehow are able to get flags without being at the starting line. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the winterland is awesome, but this is horribly flawed.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've completed the race many times without cheating off the cliff and haven't once got any tags if I came somewhere after 3rd place! Sometimes I even finished last! Still no tags!

I guess this race isn't exactly "working as intended" just yet? ;)
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,141 Arc User
    edited December 2012

first time I ran it I thought I was suppose to do that.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've also observed people legitimately way ahead of me in the PvP race, yet they forget to collect the flag. I ended up scoring a free title and 12 tags.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    maxxina wrote: »

I had a feeling THAT was the shortcut. :D Might give it a try, but I fear I may actually jump away from the lower track instead. :P
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I always got the tags, did it with all 21 of my toons and got it, and the ones where my toon did not win 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, I thought I did not get it since it did not pop up, but i checked my inventory and they were there.:cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Be funny if instead of a disqualifcation for cheating, you also get frozen til the end of the race. :D

wolfpacknz wrote: »

Was a post in another thread that there is a bug that it doesnt award people. Said fix was in the next patch.
  • herbie1966herbie1966 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I came in third 'Legally' but there was no flag...

I assume that somebody else got it by cheating?

i did get the two tags though.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited December 2012

There is a legitimate cliff you jump, the one they are referring to is the one at the bend of the race track, the curve. People just run straight through the first portion jumping unto the track way below, thus bypassing the bend, and the real cliff jump.

It is a nasty cheat and people are exploiting it to the teeth.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • letsrishletsrish Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jheinig wrote: »
    For 6 tags, you can track one of the winter epohhs as a duty officer assignment (NEVER USE A biologist or research lab scientist).

Fixed that for you.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    There is a legitimate cliff you jump, the one they are referring to is the one at the bend of the race track, the curve. People just run straight through the first portion jumping unto the track way below, thus bypassing the bend, and the real cliff jump.

It is a nasty cheat and people are exploiting it to the teeth.

I don't know that it's a cheat anymore than the shortcuts in Mario Cart are cheating.

Is it intentional? No, apparently not. But this isn't exactly uber-exploit territory. Somebody forgot to place the invisible walls.

It just so happens, though, that the invisible walls for races aren't exactly well defined in the first place; look at all the corners you can cut in the NPC race. It'd be hard to win if they weren't, after all.

Cut the people who jump the cliff more than a bit of slack, for two reasons:

1. It's both possible and not terribly difficult to go over it accidentally;
    2. It's entirely in the spirit of the way the races are designed;
    3. It's also entirely in the spirit of the way race games in general are designed.

Fix it if it's not working as intended, but calling it a cheat or exploit is spilling far too many words on something which isn't a big deal at all.
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You really should've added a Red Alert so people know when an events occuring!

Also would've been nice if there was a solo version so casual players don't have to wait for a stupid timer!

+1

timer = fail

SOLO VERSION

The times for this and snowball fight are way too far apart.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It will be fixed.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Don't fix it!!! It's so much fun jumping off that cliff. Plus, everyone is doing it. Nice PvP for the event. :)
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I had three opportunities to run the race by myself last night...

Fortunately, I wasn't a complete looser and won all three.

I did use the cheat on the last one though.

:D

There were so many Instances open, that finding one with less than 5 people that weren't at all interested in doing the race was quite easy.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • rs2965rs2965 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    velqua wrote: »
    Don't fix it!!! It's so much fun jumping off that cliff. Plus, everyone is doing it. Nice PvP for the event. :)

Let's go ahead and fix it.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Fix it after I get the accolade on all my characters.

I don't care a whit for the goofy colored targs, but I'll take another title option. :D
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
This discussion has been closed.