test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Odyssey Uniforms should become the new default.

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pmadi32382 wrote: »
    It seems the Oddy uniform is the new 'default', given it looks nearly identical to the Starfleet Academy jacket and the pips are exactly the same too. Perhaps this is the 'official' uniform of the 25th century for Starfleet.

No it's not. Most of the NPC's use the Sierra or Antares uniforms. But now that they are in the game, and Vulcan chick is wearing them, I think it's time to change all of the uniforms over. It would make the game look soooooooooooooooo much better. :D
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    And entirely empty
    as all the gennerite niners and Tossite crowd just walk off
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    And entirely empty
    as all the gennerite niners and Tossite crowd just walk off

Sollvax! Where you been buddy? :D

But as to your statement, I would argue the merits of alienating the Tossite crowd, but they spend money. I'm not saying to replace all the uniforms with the Odyssey ones, just the ones the NPC's are wearing. :)
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    oh I was recovering from a hole in the head (literally)

But I would like to see an option to put all Npcs (in your own view not everyones) into the same era of uniforms

thus you could see late era I could see Tos and my friend could have his next gen preference (even if EVERYONE in his crew is a tall redhead with an improbable chest)
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    oh I was recovering from a hole in the head (literally)

But I would like to see an option to put all Npcs (in your own view not everyones) into the same era of uniforms

While that would solve a lot of problems, I don't see it happening anytime too soon.
  • harrisjohnhharrisjohnh Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So how does a guy get this uniform? I've been seeing it more and more, but have no idea how to get my hands on it.

Or is it another one of those things that you MUST join a fleet to get?
  • undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Eh. They just need to get rid of the stupid default uniforms. They are sooooooooooo ugly... :(

No they're not, they're really good.
  • hoimihoimi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So how does a guy get this uniform? I've been seeing it more and more, but have no idea how to get my hands on it.

Or is it another one of those things that you MUST join a fleet to get?

You buy it from the fleet starbase tailor, but you can have someone else invite you to their starbase if you don't have the tailor unlocked. You do need to be in a fleet though, since it costs 8,000 fleet credit (plus 16,000 dilithium).
    edited February 2013
    No they're not, they're really good.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But you're wrong. :P
    hoimi wrote: »
    You buy it from the fleet starbase tailor, but you can have someone else invite you to their starbase if you don't have the tailor unlocked. You do need to be in a fleet though, since it costs 8,000 fleet credit (plus 16,000 dilithium).

Yup. This is what I did, and I will never regret it. ;) These things should seriously become the new standard.
  • undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But you're wrong. :P

Yup. This is what I did, and I will never regret it. ;) These things should seriously become the new standard.

PRECISELY, which is why this thread bothers me. You're being awfully vocal about YOUR opinion, which by extension is YOUR canon.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And this is why we can't have nice things.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
    edited February 2013
    PRECISELY, which is why this thread bothers me. You're being awfully vocal about YOUR opinion, which by extension is YOUR canon.

You're being awfully opinionated about my opinion aren't ye? :P
    And this is why we can't have nice things.

Alas. But what are we to do? :(
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At first I was a believer in there can be only ONE uniform style at one time for Starfleet. But then I got to thinking the other day, the TNG crew had the TNG style uniform on and kept it for several more months or years even after they visited DS9 and they were already wearing the DS9 style. So, since you had two crews wearing two different styles at one time (as opposed to Starfleet issuing an order as of stardate yada yada ALL personal must IMMEDIATELY start wearing such and such style) perhaps that gives canon approval to the uniforms being worn as being Captain's prerogative.

My first and third toons wear Odyssey uniforms, my women captains wear the GI Joe scheme (which is everyone looking badass in their own different styles) or the Star Trek Insurrection uniform style (since I felt I needed one crew still rocking those)

So, as a guy who leans more heavily towards canon approval, I guess for me I can justify every Captain in Starfleet in game wearing their own styles for their crew since we saw it done as TNG and DS9 shows overlapped for a bit there.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    According to STO's lore the uniform code was restructured and relaxed in 2386, allowing for a wide variety of uniform styles to be worn by Starfleet officers.

I for one like the Sierra style. Versions 1, 2 and 4 look particularly sharp as modern combat uniforms, and most of my BOffs wear these.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited February 2013
    So, as a guy who leans more heavily towards canon approval, I guess for me I can justify every Captain in Starfleet in game wearing their own styles for their crew since we saw it done as TNG and DS9 shows overlapped for a bit there.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I want the NPC's to be in the Odyssey Uniforms or something like them.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    the academy uniforms look like an art upgrade to the uniforms seen in the finally of voyager and TNG, you know the uniforms that are supposed to be in use when this game takes place, across the multiverse? so yes, the acadamy uniforms, that are an art upgrade over the AGT uniforms, should be the default. the odessy uniforms look similar, but i dont like them quite as much
  • suprcheesesuprcheese Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic could fairly easily let the user choose a uniform that all NPCs should wear. In fact, every NPC in the game could be customized as the user desires, and it would only show up on his or her client (i.e. an NPC could wear the Odyssey uniform on one fellow's screen but on another fellow's screen the same NPC could wear the TNG Movie uniform). This is, in fact, already possible using unofficial mods, all Cryptic would have to do is allow them (quasi-)officially... but of course, they may want to implement their own system to do it instead.
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved with sufficient application of firepower.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just wish there were different templates/styles for ship crew..

KDF have it the worst when you've got Orion slave ships with Klingon Interiors and all flavors of KDF marching about..
  • gabytrekgabytrek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Shouldn't the "All Good Things" uniform technically be the proper uniform that NPCs should be wearing? I think it'd be really nice to have all the NPCs dressed in the AGT uniform, and obviously allow player captains to dress the way they want, because this is, after all, an MMO. Plus I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing the AGT uniform, so it doesn't lose any of its "show-offyness".
    @GabyBee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    gabytrek wrote: »
    Shouldn't the "All Good Things" uniform technically be the proper uniform that NPCs should be wearing? I think it'd be really nice to have all the NPCs dressed in the AGT uniform, and obviously allow player captains to dress the way they want, because this is, after all, an MMO. Plus I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing the AGT uniform, so it doesn't lose any of its "show-offyness".

AGT uniform doesn't look very good (Waist high pants? Huh?), and the Odyssey and Academy Uniforms take all the best things about the AGT anyway. :)
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cormoran wrote: »
    It'd be client-side just like the NPC option. You wouldn't see what others wanted you to see, you'd see what you wanted to see. I'd get my version of canon, you'd get yours, the game would actually look it represents the universe it's meant to portray.

You currently have the ability to dictate your opinion on what I see, even if i think you should have no right to, why can't I have the option to change that atleast for myself?

works for me id have everyone wearing the TMP uniform
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At first I was a believer in there can be only ONE uniform style at one time for Starfleet. But then I got to thinking the other day, the TNG crew had the TNG style uniform on and kept it for several more months or years even after they visited DS9 and they were already wearing the DS9 style. So, since you had two crews wearing two different styles at one time (as opposed to Starfleet issuing an order as of stardate yada yada ALL personal must IMMEDIATELY start wearing such and such style) perhaps that gives canon approval to the uniforms being worn as being Captain's prerogative.

My first and third toons wear Odyssey uniforms, my women captains wear the GI Joe scheme (which is everyone looking badass in their own different styles) or the Star Trek Insurrection uniform style (since I felt I needed one crew still rocking those)

better explantion.

Dress Uniform
    TNG Uniform = Class A
    VOY Uniform = Class B

Picard just prefered the more formal look, and the captian could decide what uniform was standard duty on there ships
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    There is value in it for you if you can see them. Since it's you that spent the money on them, isn't that what's important?

I wouldn't spend money on things if they were just for me to look at. At least not at the prices available.

I have enough know how to mod the game client if it was just about what I see. Or I could play a single player game and mod it to my preferences. I buy uniforms because I want to be seen wearing them.
    edited February 2013
    suprcheese wrote: »
    Cryptic could fairly easily let the user choose a uniform that all NPCs should wear. In fact, every NPC in the game could be customized as the user desires, and it would only show up on his or her client (i.e. an NPC could wear the Odyssey uniform on one fellow's screen but on another fellow's screen the same NPC could wear the TNG Movie uniform). This is, in fact, already possible using unofficial mods, all Cryptic would have to do is allow them (quasi-)officially... but of course, they may want to implement their own system to do it instead.

I've said before (and disagreed with Thomas on this, who held the reverse position) that I think all junior officer NPCs should be totally uniform whereas Lt's and above have custom uniforms, which would make important NPCs stand out. (In my mind, that's basically how the TOS movies were. The crewmen were totally uniform whereas Kirk/Scotty/McCoy appeared in weird variants or civilian clothes more often than they wore standard uniforms.)

Thomas' take was that he'd prefer officers wear the Odyssey uniforms and all junior officers wear the random hodge podges, skewing towards a couple of the basic uniforms.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    AGT uniform doesn't look very good (Waist high pants? Huh?), and the Odyssey and Academy Uniforms take all the best things about the AGT anyway. :)

AGT seems to be purposefully designed to make the actors look older.

Personally, though, I've discovered that the Odyssey uniforms with an AGT-themed color palette look incredible.
  • suprcheesesuprcheese Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've said before (and disagreed with Thomas on this, who held the reverse position) that I think all junior officer NPCs should be totally uniform whereas Lt's and above have custom uniforms, which would make important NPCs stand out. (In my mind, that's basically how the TOS movies were. The crewmen were totally uniform whereas Kirk/Scotty/McCoy appeared in weird variants or civilian clothes more often than they wore standard uniforms.)

Thomas' take was that he'd prefer officers wear the Odyssey uniforms and all junior officers wear the random hodge podges, skewing towards a couple of the basic uniforms.
    Both of your preferences could be accommodated by making client-side mods. Likewise, if Cryptic wanted to implement something officially, they could accommodate both preferences.
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved with sufficient application of firepower.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd personally prefer if the Star Trek: Countdown uniforms (apparently used in STO's Alpha) were the default, but that's just me.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
    edited February 2013

What's the point of Junior Officers if they're not in uniform? :P In Star Trek It was only Admirals that wore weird one-off variants and even then they were still "uniforms". Captains were next with Vests/Open variants, and finally civilians like Wesley, Troi, and Guinan who were not officers.
    jexsamx wrote: »
    AGT seems to be purposefully designed to make the actors look older.

Huh. That makes a lot of sense.
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Personally, though, I've discovered that the Odyssey uniforms with an AGT-themed color palette look incredible.

I.... I might just have to visit the Tailor tonight. :P
    sumghai wrote: »
    I'd personally prefer if the Star Trek: Countdown uniforms (apparently used in STO's Alpha) were the default, but that's just me.

Maybe if they actually looked like cloth, but I still prefer the Oddy Uniforms.
    edited February 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Wrong.

TNG uniforms (plural) were the Type A (TNG first seasons) from 2353 to 2365 and the Type B (every seasons after) from 2366 to 2369.

Note: the change happened because the first uniform was a jumpsuit and was actually hurting the actors back, it was revised because of that to the "jacket and pants" Type B.

Then come DS9, NOT Voyager that had a new uniform, that was not class B or whatever but simply a new uniform, DS9 later changed uniforms again at the 5th season and things are a bit "weird" as apparent Sisko did wore the TNG uniforms at certain occasions, as when he boarded the station for the first time and also when he was made acting head of Starfleet Security in 2372.

By 2373 we had the DS9 uniform being standard and no Voyager doesnt count.

The only issue is the first DS9 uniform and were it was applied, certainly in DS9 but apparently NOT in Starfleet Command and neither on the Enterprise-D (and I will assume in Starfleet ships) meaning ... what? makes no sense Voyager being a Starship using a Starbase issued uniform type.

And there is no question about this, the USS Odyssey (Galaxy Class) was destroyed in 2373 and they used TNG Type B uniforms, DS9 deliberate set their new uniforms as Starbase issued types as they deliberate made starships personal using TNG Type B uniforms.

Voyager does stick as a sore thumb on this, perhaps because it was new it bizarre got Starbase Uniforms or this is just further evidence that Janeway was insane.

I never had too much trouble with this as I assumed the early seasons DS9/Voyager uniform was a "dirty assignment" uniform whereas the TNG uniform was semi-dress.

Star Trek: Borg was set mostly at Wolf 359 and had a ship there using the DS9 S1/Voyager uniform, which would mean it was introduced before or at the same time as the high collar TNG uniform. I cite this because it was a video game (emphasis on video) where the whole production team came from the shows (writer/director/composer/line crew) and they didn't have an issue with the DS9 S1 uniform being in use at Wolf 359.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I never had too much trouble with this as I assumed the early seasons DS9/Voyager uniform was a "dirty assignment" uniform whereas the TNG uniform was semi-dress.

From who seemed to be wearing each different type of uniform, it seemed to me that during the first couple of seasons of DS9, Starfleet personnel who were serving aboard starships, or at Starfleet Command, wore the later TNG series uniforms. Starfleet personnel assigned to starbases, like DS9, wore the newer uniform with the coloured shoulders. Sisko and Worf, for instance, arrive on DS9 having been serving on a starship wearing the TNG uniform, but once they're officially assigned to the station, they change to the DS9/Voyager uniform.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!