test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official New Romulus Feedback Thread

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I did really like the couple of custscenes at the start area. It would be great if more of the contacts had voice over and cutscenes to go with them. makes it feel more alive.

rtk142 wrote: »
    Um...... the mission name "A Lending Hand" seems weird to me. Is it supposed to be "Lending A Hand"? I was just wondering why it's worded the way it is, because it seems like bad grammar to me.

Sounds fine to me, ive heard it said both ways.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dukedom01 wrote: »
    yadayada ridge: I was casually exploring the lending a helping hand mission when I stumbled upon a slight annoyance. The area is clustered with tal shiar? romulans, which come in pairs or triplets (when guarding a civilian). So far so fine. Easy enough to dispatch on my well equiped chars. Turn around, scan a mineral sample, and look whos back.

Seriously, the respawn on those guys is WAY to fast. I clocked it a dozen times and they were back well within a minute. I didn't explore that thorough to find out if there is some radiation to meter within that area but it should be obvious that mobs that respawn in less than a minute does not compute with a minute long minigame.

Not to mention that more 'casual' players might not be able to dispatch the nice romulan engineers as easy as I was.
    Yeah, that's a major annoyance. But it works the same way as the Tholian invasion zone on Nukara. I had to regularly create bunkers just to ward off the respawns. you can't clear the map, period.

Yeah the radiation stuff pops up everywhere, but.... Vastam is a bad place to try scanning it.

@Zerobang: Try soloing him if you want a challenge. I only had to respawn 3 times. :p

BTW, did anyone else notice that some of the tholians now use mines?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I completed all the New Romulus content that is visible so far. Wow, what a let down. The planet is pretty, but the content is garbage. The daily area helping quests are boring and all of them are the same, collect, collect, collect... how many hours are we supposed to spend collecting flashing stuff before we never come back? Other than these quests there is little else to do right now.

The zone red alerts are different, but largely unrewarding and a giant waste of time. The zone is fairly populated and none come close to completion.

The locked content hidden behind the reputation system I guess isn't for testing.

Pretty scenes are nice but they are not content. Running around for hours collecting stuff for tiny rewards under nearly no threat from anything is not content. The best part of the whole map is the staging area, after that it becomes a copy/paste job in a very obviously empty world.
    To me all the artifacts and mystery which should be there from an older civilization and world event are just far too in your face to be tasteful. I also don't understand why they are exvacating artifacts when the colony is just starting up.

I guess to sum is up.. pretty but utterly shallow and void of content.

Bugs. radiation samples have no icons, the mother blob thing in the river isn't solid.. and has radiation under it. Not too buggy, just poorly designed.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So...
    The Reman "Catacomb City" will be opened up later on?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hidden Accolades i found so far:

"To Boldly Jump" :D

"A Hwael of a Good Time" :)

"New Romulus Historian"

"Brave New Waterfalls" refreshing

"Bridge Troll" lol

"Staging Area Quartermaster"
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All these missions are fun!

But I noticed a few timers in the mix?

They went away fast enough, but the best way to ruin missions is put them on a timer!
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All these missions are fun!

But I noticed a few timers in the mix?

They went away fast enough, but the best way to ruin missions is put them on a timer!

The missions on a timer are the localized Red Alerts. And, I think they are fine, just the way they are. I think once these hit Holodeck, people may complain that the timers are too long.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Where were you finding paths that dead ended into invisible collision? The only one I can think of is the Mountain Pass, which you will unlock through the rep system. I'll talk to someone and see if we can get a pop up there if you can't do it. If you saw other places, please let me know where.

I don't remember exactly where, but I remember at least two caves with big black solid entrances that way too big to be graphical glitches. They highly resembled the cave entrance on Nukura.
    edited October 2012
    I don't remember exactly where, but I remember at least two caves with big black solid entrances that way too big to be graphical glitches. They highly resembled the cave entrance on Nukura.
    I think those are areas that you unlock by leveling rep. I know that the unlocked area in Vastam is like that(although it's a gulley not a cave), and I saw a similar area in the forest in the bottom of a big hole in the ground.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • lcdrmillerlcdrmiller Member Posts: 47 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2012
    ransom2375 wrote: »
    Hidden Accolades i found so far:

"To Boldly Jump" :D

"A Hwael of a Good Time" :)

"New Romulus Historian"

"Brave New Waterfalls" refreshing

"Bridge Troll" lol

"Staging Area Quartermaster"

There are more ! :D
    Jeff M.
    Environment Artist on Neverwinter Online
    Find me on Twitter
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I didn't have much time yesterday so I couldn't "explore" everything there yet.

When I heard about New Romulus I was expecting something like the Deferi Homeworld. When I beamed down I was: "Wow". It looks really awesome and so large. I guess I need to spend some hours to explore it in detail :)

I like that I can take one of my BOFFs with me.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Graphics
    The large size
    New content
    A Boff can come
    The embassy

Bugs

the lack of teleporters for travel expect when there's a red alert.

Don't likes

That the embassy and bridges are only structures while the population seems to live in tents.

There should a city or other structures equal to the embassy to explore, seems not natural wilderness vs colonization buildings.

The encounters seem way to easy.

Don't mind the running just to bad there's no random encounters between regions.

It would be micevto get more plants a wild life where.

Ther should be and alien bizarre somewhere for traders and such.
    download.jpg
  • doctordementiledoctordementile Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The Isha Forest daily has a bit of a logic error. Turning in 1 plant sample grants 2% progress, while turning in 5 grants 4% progress.

What do I do with all these New Romulus Research? I talked to the Historian, but she just wants my Colonization CXP (and the assignment won't start)

I predict a nanov non-combat pet will be available at some point.

IMO, an area this casual shouldn't be limited to lvl 50s. I recommend setting up level scaling like the Defera Invasion.
  • cosmoscolacosmoscola Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The zone is AMAZING! Having a little trubble finding my way, witch is actually kind of nice. Hope to see more, no, A LOT more zones like this one in the future.
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I do like the way New Romulus feels in general. It feels more like a traditional MMO world with quests, NPC groups, and exploring. Now if Cryptic can take what they have learned here and expand it in the future and make Defra and Nukara like this it would be great. Also, I would love to see them eventually use this template for space.

The only real issues I have with New Romulus are the following:
    • Too many different NPC Enemy Groups, why are the Tholians there, why are the Hirogen there? It would make more sense to make all the different groups Tal Shiar or even just creatures.
    • I would like to see a little more "Traditional" progress on the planet. Beam in talk to NPC 1 in beam in area, instead of having a mission right off the bat that is do a mix of three things, start it off as three little missions to do each of those things, completing those then allows you to do the repeatable as it exists now and sends you to the next area. Meaning you must progress through the map and the NPCs direct you where to go when you first arrive (i.e. a short guided tour through the different areas).
    • I would also like to see a bit more repeatable side quests in areas give out by different NPCs. Take the officer of the watch mission ideas and add in one of those in each area to start off with.
    • Don't know if they exist but these adventure zones should have some little raidsodes attached to them.

I did find two bugs,
    • Sometimes the "radiation scanning" minigame automatically closes immediately.
    • The pathing for baby Nanovs is bad and they will get stuck by objects, really bad when on a time crunch for the red alert.
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Looked nice so far, but i got to admit we logged out to go play something else, the Dilithium prices we saw on the new Rep was just well simply put Digusting.

Still it all looked fun, just somthing always sours it with STO.
    edited October 2012
    I do like the way New Romulus feels in general. It feels more like a traditional MMO world with quests, NPC groups, and exploring. Now if Cryptic can take what they have learned here and expand it in the future and make Defra and Nukara like this it would be great. Also, I would love to see them eventually use this template for space.

The only real issues I have with New Romulus are the following:
    • Too many different NPC Enemy Groups, why are the Tholians there, why are the Hirogen there? It would make more sense to make all the different groups Tal Shiar or even just creatures.
    • I would like to see a little more "Traditional" progress on the planet. Beam in talk to NPC 1 in beam in area, instead of having a mission right off the bat that is do a mix of three things, start it off as three little missions to do each of those things, completing those then allows you to do the repeatable as it exists now and sends you to the next area. Meaning you must progress through the map and the NPCs direct you where to go when you first arrive (i.e. a short guided tour through the different areas).
    • I would also like to see a bit more repeatable side quests in areas give out by different NPCs. Take the officer of the watch mission ideas and add in one of those in each area to start off with.
    • Don't know if they exist but these adventure zones should have some little raidsodes attached to them.

I did find two bugs,
    • Sometimes the "radiation scanning" minigame automatically closes immediately.
    • The pathing for baby Nanovs is bad and they will get stuck by objects, really bad when on a time crunch for the red alert.
    I think Nanovs only follow for a few seconds. I noticed that they would stop following even in clear areas.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Besides it?s the only and a biggest building first time on the map I walked all the way up to the door.
    No pop up and so I walked away from the embassy, perhaps it should have some kind of official sign.
    Later, I beamed to the ship then saw an option for the Embassy.
    When in the OP room elevator, I did not see any option for the lobby.
    Went down to the shuttle bay then went back to the lobby.
    download.jpg
  • jared1701jared1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So far I am utterly impressed with New Romulus, lots of new stuff to do... somewhat repetitive but it's till interesting and I have a feeling it's leading up to the different Reputation tier missions in each area which I have yet to try. (which I'll be trying the Tier 1 tonight)

So far the only nitpick I have is that the people who inform you you can't enter the different instances, actually call it an instance. This is immersion breaking at it's worst... they should say something like. "sorry you can't enter this building, or part of the forest or whatever until you've helped out more." or something like that. Hopefully this is something you're aware of and plan on fixing... thanks!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's really a great place the map is really excellent, and I like the design of the missions. I enjoyed the fact that we can choose to fight, scan, collect stuff, or do a bit of everything. This is a step in the right direction.

In each zone there's something rewarding 4 or 5% mission completion. I think they're going to be farmed, especlally when they are just "scan" mission. In this case it's really easy (eg: the ruins area). There's also something strange, when you kill a mob during a red alert, it adds 2% to your progression score. Isn't it getting a double reward for one mob?

The red alert concept is fine and interesting, it adds something unpredictible, although unusual in this game since it doesn't take you to a specific area when you click on it. The RA button is just a wall of text and that's not what I expected, but it works once you figure it out.

The Tholian and Hirogen mobs are weak - really weaker than the Romulan ones, especially the higher level ones. The tholian commanders or alpha hirogens are easy kills, and tholians do far less damage than they do on Nukara. What happened to them?

I saw something inconsistent on the map. Half of the nanov is inside the ground here (location visible on the minimap). Radiation reports also have no icon.

I also noticed that the mission Admiral Valoth gives (where you have to complete several missions on the map) will give confusing locations. I remember I had to find a "Nael" in Isha forest, he was in Epohh fields...

I thought I would unlock more missions after completing the available ones. It didn't happen. It's my only regret, I know some areas will unlock with reputation tiers but I'd expect something more to do on such a big map. I have the feeling that there's more to do on Nukara, even if the map is smaller. Why no "hard" instance you don't need to unlock by the way?
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Only 2 mmajor complaints:

1. the collect epohh mission is simply bad. The time frame is barely adequette if you had a perfect run, given variable density, other players, and the way they blen in this isn't a mission your ever going to complete more than 1 time in 10. Try doubling the timer minimum and it might be vuagely doable 50% of the time.

2. The radiation mnigame is full of the same flawws as the mining one, only worse.

A) Currentlly it has much smaller UI buttons than the mining game, this drasticlly slows down your abiluiity to adjust things, can we get larger buttons.

B)The mining game virtually nevver movved more than 2-3 notches in 1 arc if it moved more than 2-3 in the other, this reguarly moves 5-6 in both, again slows thinsg down massivlly.

C) Like the mining game it's movment tiemr appears to start when it moves, not when you get it lind up. This, (especially in conjunction with the last 2 points), often means you just get it lined up and it switchs again making it hellish to get anything out of it.

D) the rewards from it in terms of reports vs what you need to turn in are bassiclly not worth it even if you have good runns.

Fact is i hated the mining game. I hate this far more because it's even less fun. It's a game built around twitch reflexes speed and super precishion, two of my biggest hates.

Otherwise liking new romulous.
    edited October 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    Only 2 mmajor complaints:

1. the collect epohh mission is simply bad. The time frame is barely adequette if you had a perfect run, given variable density, other players, and the way they blen in this isn't a mission your ever going to complete more than 1 time in 10. Try doubling the timer minimum and it might be vuagely doable 50% of the time.

2. The radiation mnigame is full of the same flawws as the mining one, only worse.

A) Currentlly it has much smaller UI buttons than the mining game, this drasticlly slows down your abiluiity to adjust things, can we get larger buttons.

~snip~

1. Instead of looking for individual epohh's... scan the bushes and the trees. You'll get a whole lot more in a much shorter period of time.

2. You do realize you can use your arrow keys on your keyboard, right?
    The Armada
    edited October 2012
    My best score so far on the radiation scan is 555.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2012
    so far, my best radiation scan score is 790
    The Armada
    edited October 2012
    1. Eh what?

2. AHHHHHH didn;t know that, helpful but still not perfect.
    edited October 2012
    1. Eh what?

When you are doing the collect the epohh mission, instead of going to an individual epohh, and 'collecting it', go to the bushes and the trees where you'll see the glowie. Scan them, and you'll get several epohh's at once. I've gotten up to 8 from a bush. 4 in a tree. etc.

with the time limit of, what.. 2 minutes?... it's easier than chasing down an individual epohh.
    The Armada
    edited October 2012
    Ahh, i thought they where related to another quest i had ;).
    edited October 2012
    1. Eh what?

2. AHHHHHH didn;t know that, helpful but still not perfect.
    2: all of the minigames are like that. Particle scan is really easy when you use the arrows.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2012
    Particle scannings not a problem though, you get plenty of time, it dosen't change config, and weather you do it with 1 second left on the clock or after just one second of timer the result is the same.

the mini games require super speed and precishion together. That is not remotely fun to do, especially when random timers and svere shifts make several configuration changes efectivlly impossibble to get any rewards out of.
    edited October 2012
    I can do particle scan in about half the alloted time, or less if I do it really good. It has no challenge to me whatsoever. This I actually need to try to complete. But the good news is that it's optional so if you don't like it you can skip it. It's simply an alternate way to get stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing