test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unscheduled Account Sever Maintenance (October 18, 2012)

Comments

• Options
    robinsonfamilyrobinsonfamily Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Earlier today I was not able to log in then I was able too now I am not able too! GRRRR. Cryptic Studios, what's going on?
  • Options
    criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    allmytee wrote: »
    Wouldn't be as big a problem if your servers weren't so unstable that players get booted then cannot relog :(

yesterday i was disconnected more than 5 times in 1 hour from server.Ppl were lagging since 2 days ago..
    PWE bought Cryptic for 56 mil. USD from ATARI and saved them from bankruptcy (in the last 2 years ATARI lost over 25 mil USD with Cryptic games..) and i bet STO is still a Cryptic game not PWE.PWE collects their share but STO still have some server issues.When the game became free-to-play the server put us on waiting list on login and i remember the record login waiting number of mine was 1026 :eek:...
    When PWE will take attitude and change some things on Cryptic, perhaps some old servers...:D or change the expiring game engines ?
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And yet here you are....enough said :)

The polls as well as other metrics show if you slap the Star Trek brand name on something no matter how awful it is... Those fans will never stop playing :)
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Guess i can dust off the 360, and spend my free evening in gotham city.:D
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow, so many negative Nancies!! Relax, people. It's a game, not real life!!

Branflakes, any word as to what went wrong or was it initiated to correct the fish tank not going live?

I assume you are a Free player. Now imagine, if you are paying a subscription fee for a service, and that service goes offline for no specific reason. Wouldn't you be kinda mad about not having access to a service you're paying for? I'd imagine you would if it meant something like your Internet connection, or your [insert favorite subscription MMO here].

Sooooo happy I no longer pay for this game. Been 2.5 years of nothing but server malfunctions, account server problems and what not. The worst was whenever a new Feature Episode was launched, and the servers were unable to handle the strain of so many players logging in to play. I wonder if that might be the reason we no longer have Feature Episodes??? The SERVERS CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!
    And yet here you are....enough said :)

Indeed, here I am. As a FREE player. Not a chance in hell that i'd willingly put out any additional cash on this game. If it were still forced to pay subscription, I would've been gone looooong ago. What's your excuse for staying around?
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    slick97477slick97477 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That's because it doesnt pertain to affect the money coming in so it gets put on the back burner...i can bet you if somebody complains about the lockboxes that gets addressed quickly because if they dont nobody will buy keys and there goes there money
    If they make something idiot proof. They will come out with better idiots
  • Options
    robinsonfamilyrobinsonfamily Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay there is a maintenance now why is their a maintenance?
  • Options
    allmyteeallmytee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    alot of us r here due to star trek lore, nothing else. If you could point me in the direction of another star trek mmo i'm sure sto would die very quickly. Just because many people play a free online gome doesn't mean we are all happy with their programming "skills"
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is this going to fix the Launcher remembering the old Cryptic login instead of the PWE login?
  • Options
    unsacredgraveunsacredgrave Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i think they are so angry because they play this game in a daily routine... like after work. and if its down, they dont know what to do. its like a hole in time xD ...thats my opinion, because i play this game that way :-D

and BTW... it would be nice if the forum could show the timezone. there are people like me who dont live in the usa o.O
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I bet your right about the featured episodes..When the new content comes out the servers will crash most likely or lag so bad nobody can play because of the strain
  • Options
    siskofan1991siskofan1991 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Earlier today I was not able to log in then I was able too now I am not able too! GRRRR. Cryptic Studios, what's going on?

Earlier today that was regularly scheduled server maintenance. Right now is something unplanned that the Devs are trying to fix post haste.
    Captain Steven "Sarge" DePoe, Senior Captain, Aurcanis Star Operations; CO USS Leyte Gulf
    Captain Marida Harper, Co-Director 5th Armored Division; CO USS Infinity
    Captain Gurrat Reen, member MACO 7th Fleet, CO USS Milwaukee
    Commander Korn, General, House MeQ'pu'yay 7th KAG
  • Options
    destroshadedestroshade Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi Captains,

We're performing unscheduled account server maintenance. Players who are in the game currently should be unaffected. Players who log out, switch characters, or are logged out currently will not be able to get back into STO until maintenance is complete. Please watch this thread for updates.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    meurik wrote: »
    I assume you are a Free player. Now imagine, if you are paying a subscription fee for a service, and that service goes offline for no specific reason. Wouldn't you be kinda mad about not having access to a service you're paying for? I'd imagine you would if it meant something like your Internet connection, or your [insert favorite subscription MMO here].

Sooooo happy I no longer pay for this game. Been 2.5 years of nothing but server malfunctions, account server problems and what not. The worst was whenever a new Feature Episode was launched, and the servers were unable to handle the strain of so many players logging in to play. I wonder if that might be the reason we no longer have Feature Episodes??? The SERVERS CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!

To further emphasize this message, here are my two credits. Imagine you just bought a car, and not a cheap car, imagine if you bought a REALLY nice car, like a new corvette or camaro.

Now imagine the second day you bought the car the dealership said i'm sorry you can't drive your car today and didn't give you a very specific reason, they just said no.

How would that make you feel as a customer?
  • Options
    papabloodpapablood Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Good programming? STO?

Mwahahahaha... I've been playing this game since Beta, and it's by no means, a game with "good programming". In fact, they seemingly manage to introduce a ton of new bugs with every patch, and more often than not, they end up leaving the old bugs to go un-fixed.
    Tell me about it there are bugs that have been in game now for yrs ... And your right they are in no ways in a hurry to fix them ... 2 newest bugs is I cant heal my ship while in space even tho I have all 3 heals on hand .... And my favorite is when in a PVP and I die sometimes after respawn I cant see my own ship... But are they worried about the old or new bugs ... NO the only thing I see them worry about is what new ship and console they can put into the next lock box ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Target locked Captain....Alpha loaded....5,4,3,2,1.... Target dead captain, locking on next target
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    Is this going to fix the Launcher remembering the old Cryptic login instead of the PWE login?

There is no one to Liberate us from the Collective :)
  • Options
    anoxmanoxm Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i've been programming for over 10 years, and i can tell you that hunting for one misplaced comma in a 10,000 line file is not easy. games that have had 6 years of development and 100 million dollars to work with and a team of hundreds do a far worse job. These guys do very well with what they have.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    anoxm wrote: »
    i've been programming for over 10 years, and i can tell you that hunting for one misplaced comma in a 10,000 line file is not easy. games that have had 6 years of development and 100 million dollars to work with and a team of hundreds do a far worse job. These guys do very well with what they have.

Yeah I know but its just too much fun to give them a hard time about it :D Its a great motivator for them to make something better than they were originally going to make. LOL
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Indeed, here I am. As a FREE player. Not a chance in hell that i'd willingly put out any additional cash on this game. If it were still forced to pay subscription, I would've been gone looooong ago. What's your excuse for staying around?

And if you pay for anything and expect it to never break down ever, well buy me that car, phone, toy,TV, all these magical items you can buy without it ever breaking down.

It's been a long time since we had a surprise maintenance

and what's you excuse for spending your time on this game...i mean you could spend it somewhere else like inventing the unbreakable cell phone.;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    blu3drag0n1977blu3drag0n1977 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Good programming? STO?

Mwahahahaha... I've been playing this game since Beta, and it's by no means, a game with "good programming". In fact, they seemingly manage to introduce a ton of new bugs with every patch, and more often than not, they end up leaving the old bugs to go un-fixed.

Why don't you try coding something half as complex as STO! I'm a programming student in college. ****s hard, man, ****s hard.
  • Options
    krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    criss11 wrote: »
    yesterday i was disconnected more than 5 times in 1 hour from server.Ppl were lagging since 2 days ago..
    PWE bought Cryptic for 56 mil. USD from ATARI and saved them from bankruptcy (in the last 2 years ATARI lost over 25 mil USD with Cryptic games..) and i bet STO is still a Cryptic game not PWE.PWE collects their share but STO still have some server issues.When the game became free-to-play the server put us on waiting list on login and i remember the record login waiting number of mine was 1026 :eek:...
    When PWE will take attitude and change some things on Cryptic, perhaps some old servers...:D or change the expiring game engine ?

The servers are updated often, like every other game out there.
    The game engine is better than many other games out there (look at TOR, LotRO and a few others) unless they're SP (some SP engines actually fail and must submit to Cryptic's engine).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • Options
    firstcavarmyvetfirstcavarmyvet Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Only thing they are in a hurry to fix is the C-Store stuff. Ninja quick to add stuff that you have to purchase, to heck with the rest of it. So this? Yea this is no surprise here. Off to TOR we go for the night
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Reading the arm-chair quarterbacks with their "black helicopter" stories is great. Almost makes not being able to log in enjoyable.
  • Options
    originalfrans83originalfrans83 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well this makes my gaming decision for the evening easier. Doom 3 it is. Hope all those suckers who dropped 200 bucks on an LTS are enjoying themselves.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    quotes are messed up.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The server is up, so it will remain green. We've added a notice to the launcher and the site, though.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

An ETA on the launcher would be nice. Thanks.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow, I haven't felt so sorry for someone nor laughed so hard at a post in a very long time. Thank you.

So lets start shall we.
    Point by point.
    c0lmustard wrote: »
    Did you see them say that specifically? I didn't...

With regards to this being about helping us.
    All day long, people have been experiencing an inability to get in the game.
    The "cannot authenticate" problem.
    So, because they haven't said specifically , we are bringing the server down to actually fix a problem that is affecting the player base, because all they said is "server down for emergency maintenance" it isn'y about helping us.
    Fixing a bug that is keeping large numbers of players from enjoying the game isn't helping us ?
    Okay.
    Cartoon Logic at best, but you are entitled to your ... I'll call it an opinion to be nice.

The only "very big problem" i have seen since I've been able to login again over the past couple weeks, is cryptic sold (out) to perfect world.

This has nothing to do with the fact that the latest patch introduced a problem that is causing many of the players of the game to be unable to log in. To bring up the tired "perfect world is evil" argument here is simply foolish and has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
    For some people, this is the only game they play. Or can play. Perception is reality, and the reality is that this sucks.

I have 3 dogs that like to play frisbee actually. Since this has been down for the past FEW HOURS with no official update as to an ETA or any other type of consideration for the people who USE THE PRODUCT, the frisbee you speak of is completely torn up.

First, I feel INCREDIBLY bad for someone whose ONLY form of finding fun is playing STO. It's a very imperfect video game, that sometimes provides fun , distracting , pew pew entertainment.
    You are right.
    It sucks.
    Oh well.
    Toughen up, princess.

Sorry that you can't exist without an official update.
    The server will be back eventually.
    Once they get the MAJOR BUG fixed, so that the game that comes back is actually, you know, able to be accessed by the players.
    I for one am happy to wait.
    You're just reaching now.

So watching a movie you enjoy with a bowl of popcorn isn't fun for you ?
    This made me lol. :D

So as examples of something fun. Having a talk with family or playing a favored board game with some friends make you laugh ?

I am actually beginning to feel pity.
    Is anything besides Star Trek Online actually fun in your life ?

Exactly what is it, that in this "pie" of yours?
    Currently apples, some cinnamon, some sugar, a bunch of crust, thinking about adding some strawberries actually.
    Get a haircut, hippie! ;)

I'm bald.

Seriously , the day that STO becomes something worthy of inciting anger or rage like feelings in me anymore , is the day that I uninstall the game because my priorities and understanding of fun will have obviously slipped all out of order.

Go have fun people !
    Yeah , definately gonna add some strawberries to this pie.

Peace
  • Options
    lotusteadragonlotusteadragon Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    And people, please understand they are doing this to help us.
    This maintenance needs to happen to fix a VERY big problem.
    Don't RAGE at them for trying to help us.

Just a moment of take a deep breath, remember this is only a game.
    We play it for fun.
    Other things can be fun too.
    Go outside and play frizbee with a friend, or your dog.
    Make some popcorn and watch a movie.
    Call your family just to say Hi.
    Play Settlers of Catan with someone.

The server will return eventually, and we will all get to go pew pew the bad guys.
    There will be another Tour the Galaxy.
    There will be another STF.
    The Sky ... is not falling.

Have a nice day.
    Me, I'm gonna go bake a pie.
    Yummmm ... Pie :)

Mmm... delicious pie.
    Also, I agree.
    Lotus_Tea_Dragon_STOBanner_Sig150x500.jpg
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Why don't you try coding something half as complex as STO! I'm a programming student in college. ****s hard, man, ****s hard.

Sounds like we need to leave programming to the machines now. :eek:
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Hmmm i did programming for Symantec for 4 years and if a bug in there was allowed to be there that long there would alot of infected computers for starters...Imagine Symantec acting Like PWE..."We are sorry our product has malfunctioned but unfortunately we cannot help you Sorry" They would lose 90% of there customer base... PWE is doing just that most of the time with most of people's customer complaints or problems. Or my favorite" Sorry thats a known bug in the game so we cannot help you get you back your latinum. Please file a bug report instead. If you handle customers like this for too much longer PWE this game isnt gonna last. Look at all the complaints on your own forums PWE and fix the issues your customers are telling you about.
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    not to long ago these threads often made it to 100!!! yes 100 PAGES - before it was fixed

this is only page 10!!!
This discussion has been closed.