test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Internet Connection Lost while playing STO

This tends to occur randomly. I will go many months without having a problem and then suddenly it's almost every other time I play the game I run into this issue.

While playing STO, I will suddenly lose internet connection. My ethernet card says that it's working fine; however, the only way to correct the problem is to either uninstall the drivers, install new drivers, or uninstall/reinstall the ethernet card itself. I am running windows 7 and my graphics card is a ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series. The ethernet card, I believe is a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, but I'm not sure where to find a better description, so that may be wrong.

I don't believe that the issue is truly unique to STO, but it's the only online game I play and I think the most taxing activity that my ethernet card gets used for. Web surfing and e-mailing aren't all that strenous.

I have spoken to Dell and suggested it was the ethernet card perhaps having a malfunction or something else in the computer that is getting triggered by the taxing activity of the game. They contend that it's the game itself and won't send a repair technician to replace the card. That and they want $150 to diagnose the software issue.

So I'm asking here if anyone else has had a similar problem and perhaps has a solution for me that won't cost me 1/4 of what the computer is worth.

Greatly appreciated!!!
Post edited by laportej on

Comments

• Options
    fubaracidefubaracide Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yes. The problems started after the last patch and just about everyone in my guild is experiencing them as well. Most have started playing other games until they fix the issue.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    laportej wrote: »
    This tends to occur randomly. I will go many months without having a problem and then suddenly it's almost every other time I play the game I run into this issue.

While playing STO, I will suddenly lose internet connection. My ethernet card says that it's working fine; however, the only way to correct the problem is to either uninstall the drivers, install new drivers, or uninstall/reinstall the ethernet card itself. I am running windows 7 and my graphics card is a ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series. The ethernet card, I believe is a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, but I'm not sure where to find a better description, so that may be wrong.

I don't believe that the issue is truly unique to STO, but it's the only online game I play and I think the most taxing activity that my ethernet card gets used for. Web surfing and e-mailing aren't all that strenous.
    So what kind of router are you using? There is a known issue with low performance routers that have a limited capacity for multiple simultaneous open network connection that will shutdown if forced to deal with a network load beyond their capacity. And STO is known to trigger such a condition.
  • Options
    philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    see i dont think my router quatify and i have same problem. but i used the same router for the last year or so to play sto. and the problem only started after the oct 10th patch. and i use a linksys. but i use hotspotshield like mentioned in another and it patches. but mighty slow do to my connection speed. but it doesnt stop and then start again. i also play tor and gw2. so far no problems with either