test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"The cloak was always meant to disengage when a contact pops up" Pure BS BS

dylantrinidydylantrinidy Member Posts: 313 Arc User
Remember about a year ago when the cloak broke and Dan said "we have to go map by map to fix it, will take a long time but it will get done" and now he says "oh it was always meant to be like that" this really makes me mad as a KDF player who uses cloak i Kerrat.

Ps. This is my first post in over two years I though i need to expose this lie, as if we don't remember.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blunted74blunted74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would be careful as to being too hyperbolic. The mods are delete happy today.

but yeah, the answer was not satisfactory :mad:
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2012
    blunted74 wrote: »
    I would be careful as to being too hyperbolic. The mods are delete happy today.

but yeah, the answer was not satisfactory :mad:

The answer is a straight up FALSEHOOD, is what it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I hate to say it, but I agree.

I remember this appeared and was 'oh, sorry that's a bug, we'll get right on it'

Then it went to 'yeah, this is actually hard to do'

and it's moved further away since then. Moving goalposts :( It makes the cloak pretty much useless really.
  • hamradio18hamradio18 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I agree with all the posts here.

I totally agree. I fly mostly FED, but also KDF sometimes, and I hate this.

I am cloaked in my defiant ready for an alpha, and boom, I get de-cloaked, and same with KDF.

I am already unhappy with this game, and this just makes me more mad. I am moving silver cause I am not happy enough to pay for this game.
    Playing since: Feb 2011.
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm actually quite happy with the state of affairs regarding cloak. Literally THE WORST character class in any MMO is the one that can cloak or otherwise go undetected/invisible. They're always exploited (in the "this is allowed" sense) to the maximum, and become an overpowered irritant.

In STO, this isn't the case. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Don't you mind this cloak problem. Remember, last chance for tholian lockbox coming up!!!
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I really don't see the decloaking issue as an issue, personally.

But that may be because I don't stay cloaked 90% of the time. I don't see the reason to do so, even with the cloak's benefits.

I'm not saying I support the answer, but it doesn't mean I'm against it either.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited September 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    I really don't see the decloaking issue as an issue, personally.

But that may be because I don't stay cloaked 90% of the time. I don't see the reason to do so, even with the cloak's benefits.

I'm not saying I support the answer, but it doesn't mean I'm against it either.

If you flew a Brel or any other BoP, which rely on BC due to weak hull, shields, less consoles, and BO stations you would understand the reason this is an issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    adon333 wrote: »
    If you flew a Brel or any other BoP, which rely on BC due to weak hull, shields, less consoles, and BO stations you would understand the reason this is an issue.
    That's just it though: I DO fly a BoP, which you'd know if you saw my 'First Time on KDF side' thread in Klingon Gameplay.

And I still don't see the issue. That thing flys and tanks well enough in PvE, and that's all I need.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I dont know how I feel,

If this is how cloaking is going to be now (your boff foolishly leans on the 'drop cloak' button when he rests his elbows on a console full of buttons that might shoot a torpedo at an ally, while whispering to you), I can live with it, i mean its standard for me when a match ends in ker'ret im always ready to dump and engine battery and evasive the hell out of a tight spot (fed and kdf) because I've gotten used to it being that way.

But if what has been said about the way this problem was handled the.. (its broke, its hard to fix, TRIBBLE it this is how it works now) approach is indeed true then I'm a bit disappoint. :/
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
    edited September 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    That's just it though: I DO fly a BoP, which you'd know if you saw my 'First Time on KDF side' thread in Klingon Gameplay.

And I still don't see the issue. That thing flys and tanks well enough in PvE, and that's all I need.

Ah, well if you are a PVE'r, it probably isnt too much of an issue for you then. But, if you are like me, and only PvP in this game you'd know where we are coming from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited September 2012
    I dont know how I feel,

If this is how cloaking is going to be now (your boff foolishly leans on the 'drop cloak' button when he rests his elbows on a console full of buttons that might shoot a torpedo at an ally, while whispering to you), I can live with it, i mean its standard for me when a match ends in ker'ret im always ready to dump and engine battery and evasive the hell out of a tight spot (fed and kdf) because I've gotten used to it being that way.

But if what has been said about the way this problem was handled the.. (its broke, its hard to fix, TRIBBLE it this is how it works now) approach is indeed true then I'm a bit disappoint. :/

This was/is a bug that we have been told would eventually be fixed, and it is NOT working as intended. The whole "Its working as intended" thing is just a lazy cop out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Remember about a year ago when the cloak broke and Dan said "we have to go map by map to fix it, will take a long time but it will get done" and now he says "oh it was always meant to be like that" this really makes me mad as a KDF player who uses cloak i Kerrat.

Ps. This is my first post in over two years I though i need to expose this lie, as if we don't remember.

I do remember this, I think it was cop out to suggest it is working as intended, I feel and have stated that the most recent assessment was deceptive, and a cop out to fixing the issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This was/is a bug that we have been told would eventually be fixed, and it is NOT working as intended. The whole "Its working as intended" thing is just a lazy cop out.

This is another one of those cases where the initial comments about it being a bug were something I said players weren't reading closely enough.

The bug was specific cases where it happened.

Claok is not intended to allow people to get the jump on or avoid storyline content. That's what Cryptic said two years ago. Everytime I cited that, people said I was crazy and that that was a bad design.

But this is really the first time Cryptic commented on the overall design in two years.

Prior to this, every comment was about specific cases where it happened... and now we just have Dan explaining WHY the focus was on specific cases.
    edited September 2012
    This is another one of those cases where the initial comments about it being a bug were something I said players weren't reading closely enough.

Claok is not intended to allow people to get the jump on or avoid storyline content. That's what Cryptic said two years ago. Everytime I cited that, people said I was crazy and that that was a bad design.

But this is really the first time Cryptic commented on the overall design in two years.

Prior to this, every comment was about specific cases where it happened... and now we just have Dan explaining WHY the focus was on specific cases.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say here....:confused: But, I do know this...this was acknowledged as a bug and it WAS going to be fixed <eventually> Regardless of "story" or "avoiding story" that is irrelevant in a place like Kerrat. Even still, we have been told from the beginning that they were aware of this issue and that it was not working as intended and even promised an <eventual> fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ah, well if you are a PVE'r, it probably isnt too much of an issue for you then. But, if you are like me, and only PvP in this game you'd know where we are coming from.

And how often do dialog pop-ups disrupt your cloak in PvP? ;)
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    denizenvi wrote: »
    And how often do dialog pop-ups disrupt your cloak in PvP? ;)

All the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2012

No it's a blatant lie. That's what it is.
  • dylantrinidydylantrinidy Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dan was on STOked long ago said it was a bug in one of the earlier episodes and its was not even a issue in the early days of sto the cloak worked fine contacts would not decloak your ship at all
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dan was on STOked long ago said it was a bug in one of the earlier episodes and its was not even a issue in the early days of sto the cloak worked fine contacts would not decloak your ship at all

And people were bypassing story content as a result, causing broken missions, about which they'd complain.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    And people were bypassing story content as a result, causing broken missions, about which they'd complain.

True, but then he also said in the Raptr Q&A that the 'new cloak system' is designed to work with the flyover Boff contacts which don't decloak you.

#GoingAroundInCircles :(
    edited September 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    True, but then he also said in the Raptr Q&A that the 'new cloak system' is designed to work with the flyover Boff contacts which don't decloak you.

#GoingAroundInCircles :(

And that just means manually changing non-essential messages to flyover dialogue.

If it spawns an enemy, you'll still get decloaked. If it marks the beginning of a new phase of a match, you get decloaked.

Cloak is intended as a novelty option, the equivalent of maybe an ensign BO power. It's not SUPPOSED to be the anchor of a playstyle.
  • standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Guess he expects you to have forgotten what he said in the past. Go figure.
    edited September 2012
    Guess he expects you to have forgotten what he said in the past. Go figure.

Yeah, you are not supposed to remember what he said. BTW, this isnt the first time something like this has happened b4 :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • claransaclaransa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The problem with Cryptic's stance on cloaking is that it is sometimes a problem even in PVE, one example off the top of my head is "blood of the empire" just as you get within weapons range of the first Fek'ihri ships, an interaction box pops up that you have to use to make the enemy ships targetable. This breaks the cloak you were about to make use of. You won't have time to recloak, and if you wait for the box to show up you won't be able to cloak.

We have to report every occurance of something like this happening?

That does indeed sound like a cop out, and are we to expect this will be taken care of right away? That doesn't quite fit Cryptic's past performance when dealing with bugs on the Klingon faction. In this same misison "blood of the empire" there is a ground portion where you resolved the mission in the interior of a building. The central chamber of this building actually has stick figure place markers for where graphics are suppose to be, but aren't. The central chamber has no walls or floor and has been that way for as long as I've played the game. I know i've bug reported it and i'm sure other's have as well but where's the fix?

If we are to except that the cloak bug is now suddenly working as intended then we need assurance that bug reports on the KDF side are going to be acknowledged and dealt with in a timely fashion.

btw: would also like to know why "a light in the dark" last of the Undine front gives Mk XI rewards on the Fed side but only Mk X rewards on the KDF side.
    edited September 2012
    claransa wrote: »
    The problem with Cryptic's stance on cloaking is that it is sometimes a problem even in PVE, one example off the top of my head is "blood of the empire" just as you get within weapons range of the first Fek'ihri ships, an interaction box pops up that you have to use to make the enemy ships targetable. This breaks the cloak you were about to make use of. You won't have time to recloak, and if you wait for the box to show up you won't be able to cloak.

That does indeed sound like a cop out, and are we to expect this will be taken care of right away? That doesn't quite fit Cryptic's past performance when dealing with bugs on the Klingon faction. In this same misison "blood of the empire" there is a ground portion where you resolved the mission in the interior of a building. The central chamber of this building actually has stick figure place markers for where graphics are suppose to be, but aren't. The central chamber has no walls or floor and has been that way for as long as I've played the game. I know i've bug reported it and i'm sure other's have as well but where's the fix?

If we are to except that the cloak bug is now suddenly working as intended then we need assurance that bug reports on the KDF side are going to be acknowledged and dealt with in a timely fashion.

btw: would also like to know why "a light in the dark" last of the Undine front gives Mk XI rewards on the Fed side but only Mk X rewards on the KDF side.

In regardds to your last question Claransa..."Working as intended" rofl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited September 2012

If this is the case, make mission specific content for cloaked ships. There are many Romulan and Klingon storyline missions where cloaking should be used but isn't and vice versa. Oh, but fortuitiuosly we have that nearby micro-nebula (huh?) that we can hide in while we observe the Romulan ship (through a dust cloud that blocks sensors). :rolleyes:

Don't break cloaking, make it work with the game in a reasonable and logical manner that supports the game. These changes are both lazy and poorly thought out. Donatra in STF, for example, is just annoying. If she starts the end portion of the mission and alphas the team into oblivion, man, that's what cloak IS FOR! But repeatedly having her cloak for long minutes in the middle of the battle just just because someone got too close disrupts the battle, is an annoying waste of time, and is illogical if she has the upper hand. Now, if someone is actually prepared and has some method available to detect cloak, then make her unable to cloak once detected. That is logical.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
    edited September 2012
    claransa wrote: »

I think the thing is, PvE is NOT designed around the idea of cloak providing an alpha strike. It would potentially break "Blood of The Empire" if you got one.

Alpha strike via cloak can cause missions to be incompletable.
    edited September 2012
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    If this is the case, make mission specific content for cloaked ships. There are many Romulan and Klingon storyline missions where cloaking should be used but isn't and vice versa. Oh, but fortuitiuosly we have that nearby micro-nebula (huh?) that we can hide in while we observe the Romulan ship (through a dust cloud that blocks sensors). :rolleyes:

That's because of how the missions and code are designed. Either everyone gets an alpha strike or no one does. It's not really workable to have it designed for some people to get without branching mission objectives every time use of a cloak is possible.

Now... That could be done in theory but it would involve creating mission branches that trigger for certain ships and not the actual cloak power.
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That's because of how the missions and code are designed. Either everyone gets an alpha strike or no one does. It's not really workable to have it designed for some people to get without branching mission objectives every time use of a cloak is possible.

Now... That could be done in theory but it would involve creating mission branches that trigger for certain ships and not the actual cloak power.

If cloak is not intended for alpha strikes, why does it provide combat bonuses when dropped?

I can understand the 'skipping content' issue, but this seems to be a workaround rather than working as (truly) intended.

BoP's are clearly designed around the cloak, as alpha strikers. If the Devs are saying otherwise now, they have forgotten or lost their own design notes (which is not the same thing as lying).