What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    yes i did lol i have them all DS9 tng and voy all on dvd

but you do forget it was dun by A quantum incursion is an event wherein an object or person from one quantum reality gains access to another not time travle

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quantum_incursion

And it would seem that is what happened with Spock and Nero as well. They may have very well thought they went back in time, but the fact that the prime timeline remains unchanged proves they did not actually change the past, but went to an alternate reality/universe. If they had actually time traveled, then their actions in the past would have changed the future of the prime timeline.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And it would seem that is what happened with Spock and Nero as well. They may have very well thought they went back in time, but the fact that the prime timeline remains unchanged proves they did not actually change the past, but went to an alternate reality/universe. If they had actually time traveled, then their actions in the past would have changed the future of the prime timeline.

no they got suck in to a red matter black hole
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited September 2012
    no they got suck in to a red matter black hole

Yes. But to quote you:

"but you do forget it was dun by A quantum incursion is an event wherein an object or person from one quantum reality gains access to another not time travle"

That is what happened with Spock and Nero. If they had actually traveled back in time, then their actions would have effected the future of the prime timeline. But that didnt happen. Therefore they were in an alternate reality/universe.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of great ways to introduce Romulans into the game that would have a profound boost to C-Store sales.

A Romulan minipet. Who doesn't enjoy having a Romulan to kick around?

A Romulan ear necklace. Display your valor with this great conversation starter!

A Romulan courtesan. After that much bloodwine do looks really matter?

So many possibilities, these great opportunities and more have surely been lacking.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
    edited September 2012
    Yes. But to quote you:

"but you do forget it was dun by A quantum incursion is an event wherein an object or person from one quantum reality gains access to another not time travle"

That is what happened with Spock and Nero. If they had actually traveled back in time, then their actions would have effected the future of the prime timeline. But that didnt happen. Therefore they were in an alternate reality/universe.

you may want to look at this then http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Red_matter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited September 2012
    you may want to look at this then http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Red_matter

Yes, I am aware of all of that.
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I am aware of all of that.

so where did you see a red matter black hole and a Quantum incursion are the same thing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes. But to quote you:

Why can't time travel have different effects depending on the method used?

The big consistent thing in Trek is the "time is like a river" comment by Spock.

Traveling back along the course of a river is something you can do multiple ways and they don't all have the same effects. Sometimes a river can change course. Other times it can splinter. Sometimes, your actions upstream make no change at all.
  • starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dan just one important suggestion...

When you release the Reputation system in S7, Keep it Reputation for the Federation, but Honor for the Klingons.

It just sounds better...

"His Reputation as a Starfleet Officer precedes him..."
    "We are Klingons and we fight for Honor!"
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
    edited September 2012
    Dan just one important suggestion...

When you release the Reputation system in S7, Keep it Reputation for the Federation, but Honor for the Klingons.

It just sounds better...

"His Reputation as a Starfleet Officer precedes him..."
    "We are Klingons and we fight for Honor!"

very good point
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zathura00 wrote: »
    I want FULL STAND ALONE RUMULAN FACTION, please.

The more I read it does not look like playable race and what you want are the same. That KDF content and a faction that is playable from the start as a level 1 to 50 race are the same either.

This poll is looking more and more like less and less of what players are really asking for. I think there is still a wide disconnect between Developers and Players here.
    edited September 2012
    kilemorgan wrote: »
    The more I read it does not look like playable race and what you want are the same. That KDF content and a faction that is playable from the start as a level 1 to 50 race are the same either.

This poll is looking more and more like less and less of what players are really asking for. I think there is still a wide disconnect between Developers and Players here.

im not going to lie if romulan shortcut are what they are talking about then i want to change my 3 votes :P

and change it to get KDF more content for the more they have sooner i get the romulans i want
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2012
    kilemorgan wrote: »

im not going to lie if romulan shortcut if what they are talking about then i want to change my 3 votes :P

and change it to get KDF more content for the more they have soon i get the romulans i want

These posts just go to show how meaningless these poll results really are. The lack of explanation on what "Playable Romulans" meant when this poll was posted lead to many people voting for that option thinking it would be a full faction, not a neutered sub faction.
    edited September 2012
    These posts just go to show how meaningless these poll results really are. The lack of explanation on what "Playable Romulans" meant when this poll was posted lead to many people voting for that option thinking it would be a full faction, not a neutered sub faction.

look at my post history ive said they are riged said it here in this very place any one with more then one account can vote more then ones and the Dev has said only a minority go to the forums so that alone makes them pointless
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • zathura00zathura00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm bored of being federation and klingon. And I'm not playing again till they release the romulan faction.
    edited September 2012
    zathura00 wrote: »
    I'm bored of being federation and klingon. And I'm not playing again till they release the romulan faction.

i got a big filling i will be joing you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • maerdynmaerdyn Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Feel free to list them in here -- the team is watching this thread.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hello Brandon, here is my list:

Fix ALL missions ;) Even in combat it shouldn't remove my cloak just because somebody is talking to me. This is not a submarine where people must be quiet. Hm, I never saw a movie where Klingons or Defiant's crew lost their cloak because somebody was talking on their ship.
    CO LT, STO LT, played NWN and NWN2 before and another DnD games
    edited September 2012
    maerdyn wrote: »
    Hello Brandon, here is my list:

Fix ALL missions ;) Even in combat it shouldn't remove my cloak just because somebody is talking to me. This is not a submarine where people must be quiet. Hm, I never saw a movie where Klingons or Defiant's crew lost their cloak because somebody was talking on their ship.

and humans love to talk lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    dastahl wrote: »

When it comes to a Romulan faction, the question still remains, would it be healthy for the game to introduce an entirely new faction that is now in the situation we just worked to solve? More than likely, if we were to add the ability to play as a Romulan, we would want to make it so that they could have their own experience, but ultimately fit somehow into the confines of our two faction game. Whether or not this means Romulans ultimately having to choose between which faction they support or something else entirely, the idea that Romulans would be a 3rd unique faction unto itself is a road STO may not take, if only to ensure the future health of the game.

Why not make it a Foundry faction? Give us the bones to work with and we'll create the content. Players would level playing ugc, and every lvling experience would be different for every Rom toon.

Plus, you guys could not deliver a full-fleshed out third faction, even if it was the focus of two seasons. That should be obvious to everyone at this point. If you need an excuse to make another half-finished faction, you have it. Use the foundry, instead of slapping a few good missions together with a stew pot of patrols and explorations.

Ships, skins, costumes, and foundry assets, plus a way to level playing that ugc. Don't worry about doffs or starbases or any of that. Just a way to level as a Rom playing ugc spy missions. There's your third faction.

Go ahead and test it with the KDF. Reduce the mission xp and put in foundry rewards. See if the kdf grows, when people have a reason to play ugc as a mechanism for progressing up. You'd hugely increase the amount of playable xp content on the kdf side, and there would be no reason for a player to say there is a "lack of content." Chicken v. egg debate? Let's test it.

Doing something that incorporates ugc into the lvl process could please the top two groups here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I voted for more KDF content. I believe the devs need to complete and round out the Klingon faction befre they consider a new faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Why not make it a Foundry faction? Give us the bones to work with and we'll create the content. Players would level playing ugc, and every lvling experience would be different for every Rom toon.

Until they make foundry mission rewards comparable to official missions, it would take forever to level simply from the xp you get from killing NPCs in foundry missions. So if they actually get the rewards up to par, then what you said would be a viable option.
    edited September 2012
    Until they make foundry mission rewards comparable to official missions, it would take forever to level simply from the xp you get from killing NPCs in foundry missions. So if they actually get the rewards up to par, then what you said would be a viable option.

(A) lvl slow

or

(B) lvl with the same ships same missions

i pick A hands downs then romulan shortcuts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2012
    (A) lvl slow

or

(B) lvl with the same ships same missions

i pick A hands downs then romulan shortcuts

Not talking about any shortcuts.
    edited September 2012

That's what I'm saying. It would take forever right now under the Fed side to lvl playing ugc. But, if they had a decent timer-based rewards system that prevent clicker exploit missions, then players could get just as good xp playing ugc than playing a FE.

2 hours ugc = 2 hour main game XP. If a player wants to spend two hours clicking 300 console missions, fine. Or, play 1 really long ugc mission. Both grant same XP to lvl, based on a timer.

They could test this on the KDF side if they have a Foundry rewards timer in place. Make the ugc rewards equal mission rewards, while getting rid of the clicker exploits. I want to see what that does to the KDF when there is suddenly a huge amount of unplayed XP content available on the KDF side.

We'd also see more foundry authors creating kdf missions. We don't do so now, because nobody plays them. I spent over 100 hours making my KDF mission. After 6 months or so, it has had 40 or so plays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    That's what I'm saying. It would take forever right now under the Fed side to lvl playing ugc. But, if they had a decent timer-based rewards system that prevent clicker exploit missions, then players could get just as good xp playing ugc than playing a FE.

2 hours ugc = 2 hour main game XP. If a player wants to spend two hours clicking 300 console missions, fine. Or, play 1 really long ugc mission. Both grant same XP to lvl, based on a timer.

They could test this on the KDF side if they have a Foundry rewards timer in place. Make the ugc rewards equal mission rewards, while getting rid of the clicker exploits. I want to see what that suddenly does to the KDF when there is suddenly a huge amount of unplayed XP content suddenly available on the KDF side.

I agree. And from what I have read, this is how it will work in NW.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012

i do agree things need to be beefed up big time. i think the so called 'daily' for them also needs a greater reward to encourage people to play 3 foundry missions more often.

authors should be rewarded as well. maybe get some dilth every time some one plays a mission of theirs and if there mission is spotlighted or even added as an offical ep. then maybe get rewarded in zen. some truely great missions in the foundry for both feds and kdf.

only problem is .... them sneaky ferengi missions lol that are far too quick. i hope they have a way to counter that. or a way for the system to determine how best to reward a high quality mission over a ferengi grind mission.
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    i do agree things need to be beefed up big time. i think the so called 'daily' for them also needs a greater reward to encourage people to play 3 foundry missions more often.

authors should be rewarded as well. maybe get some dilth every time some one plays a mission of theirs and if there mission is spotlighted or even added as an offical ep. then maybe get rewarded in zen. some truely great missions in the foundry for both feds and kdf.

only problem is .... them sneaky ferengi missions lol that are far too quick. i hope they have a way to counter that. or a way for the system to determine how best to reward a high quality mission over a ferengi grind mission.

Basing mission rewards on average completion time would solve the exploit problem. Note that I said "average", meaning there is nothing you could personally do to game the system. And if there were a problem with a group of people try to farm a specific mission, they could add a cooldown on getting rewards from the same mission. For example, you could only get the rewards from any given mission once a week.
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »

The problem is that Cryptic encouraged the quickies by making it "Hey go play 3 missions," instead of "Hey you, just spend 2 hours playing ugc and you'll get cool goodies!"

Hopefully the mechanic for a timer based rewards system is there. Otherwise, maybe it could be part of someone's job to review 4 or 5 missions a day to check to see if they are quickies. If not, pick those for rewards.

There are so many ways that it could be done. Play 3 of 3 and earn rewards is the reason we have those quickies. No one is going to play them if the rewards were based on a timer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    The problem is that Cryptic encouraged the quickies by making it "Hey go play 3 missions," instead of "Hey you, just spend 2 hours playing ugc and you'll get cool goodies!"

i do not want to spend 2 hours on any mission not even stfs but back in the day they could take up to 6 hours with the wrong team
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2012
    Basing mission rewards on average completion time would solve the exploit problem. Note that I said "average", meaning there is nothing you could personally do to game the system. And if there were a problem with a group of people try to farm a specific mission, they could add a cooldown on getting rewards from the same mission. For example, you could only get the rewards from any given mission once a week.

I really hope that this is what the spotlight rewards are being used for: to test such a new type of completion time-based reward system. If all goes well with the spotlight, maybe it could be fully opened up, first to test on the KDF side to see what that does to it.

If all goes, they could add a third faction in one season maybe.

step 1: foundry rewards system revamp
    step 2: open it up on the kdf side, thus instantly adding tons of xp playable content there.
    step 3: A Romulan foudry faction. They'd need to give us the bones, ships, UI, and assets. We'll build the rest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.