test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Virus warning on STO download?

Been playing STO for a few months now and just bought a new pc, was about to download STO again when my McAfee threw up a virus/spyware warning:

sto_warning.png

Obviously I have concerns about this, has anyone else had this warning or found any problem with STO? is this a false positive? Obviously I let STO through my firewall when playing before, buy I'm wondering now what other information may have been sent out by the game! :(
Post edited by starhermit01 on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's a protection warning, indicating that an unauthorized program is trying to access the internet.

You just go to adjust authorize STO to connect to Cryptic's servers.
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's a protection warning, indicating that an unauthorized program is trying to access the internet.

You just go to adjust authorize STO to connect to Cryptic's servers.

This^
    I would get similar blockages using Norton Internet Security, and every other patch I had to tell it to Trust the STO launcher.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    liquidacid29liquidacid29 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This^
    I would get similar blockages using Norton Internet Security, and every other patch I had to tell it to Trust the STO launcher.

eh you use Norton? ... that AV is almost as bad if not worse than some of the viruses I had which it let through
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starhermit01starhermit01 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I haven't actually downloaded it again yet, that warning come up when I tried to download, I've been reluctant to. I haven't seen the same warning when re-downloading all my other programmes.

Thanx for replying. :)
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    eh you use Norton? ... that AV is almost as bad if not worse than some of the viruses I had which it let through

I have nothing but good things to say about Norton Internet Security. Way better than MacAfee, which let all sorts of critters thru, and AVG which couldn't squash the bugs Mac didn't stop. When my computer got so bad I couldn't do anything past Bio, I couldn't even whipe the computer clean. Then a buddy helped me set up a partition, reloaded Windows, then installed Norton, and stomped everyone of my problems away.
    Sorry, IMHO, Norton has been the best product for me.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
    edited August 2012
    I have nothing but good things to say about Norton Internet Security. Way better than MacAfee, which let all sorts of critters thru, and AVG which couldn't squash the bugs Mac didn't stop. When my computer got so bad I couldn't do anything past Bio, I couldn't even whipe the computer clean. Then a buddy helped me set up a partition, reloaded Windows, then installed Norton, and stomped everyone of my problems away.
    Sorry, IMHO, Norton has been the best product for me.

Norton let a nasty keylogger wipe my laptop clean. Once I got it set back up, I installed webroot, and have no problems as of yet, though it has prevented me from downloading viruses accidentally :P
    When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
  • Options
    skilt1701skilt1701 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i got the same thing told i hit it was ok to down loads but know it keeps saying there is a errer witht the down load
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It isn't freaking out because of normal STO game traffic. The OP said STO download.

My guess would be your AV is noting the PANDO bs embedded in the STO client download. If you have original game media, install from that and then prepare to patch for a while. That will keep the evil PANDO away from your computers AV.

There is a forum thread somewhere around here explaining what PANDO is and how to disable it. Even the PWE support people hate it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]