Options

Ask Cryptic: August 2012

124»

Comments

• Options
    clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    When do you plan on handing out things like, say:

The Fleet tribble? The award Doff from Tribble Test Weekend?

My guess is during the Season 7 Tribble Test Weekend, right? :D
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Dstahl: We pay very close attention to the amount of Dilithium in the economy and how much Dilithium is acquired on a daily basis. For example, the average amount of Dilithium earned per day per player has been steadily increasing day over day since Season 6 released, without us adding Dilithium to any new mission rewards.

We use this data as a way to determine how much Dilithium is needed in the economy at any given moment to help balance systems that depend on it such as the Fleet Advancement system. If we get to a point where the amount of Dilithium earned per player falls below expected levels, we will start adding new ways to earn it.

If you are having trouble earning Dilithiumy<snip>

oooooh my GOD!

WORST ANSWER POSSIBLE!

ok Zero breathe.... BREATHE... stay constructive... don't go all rage mode now!

#1 i am PRO at earning dilithium,
    i could write a better Blog than that

#2 you say i need to earn LESS dilithium to get more dilithium missions.

STOP!

right here!

Dilithium was advertised as a TIME BASED currency,
    i spend TIME i earn dilithium -> Zen
    i spend MONEY i buy Zen -> dilithium

that was the deal!

TIME BASED....

man you screwed that completely up.

There are a few very specific and EASY ways to earn LOTS of dilithium FAST.

If we took them out right now, we could crash the whole dilithium market!

and that is exactly the problem.

There are a few easy and fast ways, but there are only a few things in the game that reward a constant stream of dilithium for spend TIME.

GOOD: STFs !

STFs take a certain amount of playtime, and reward a certain amount of dil.
    PERFECT RATIO.

BAD:
    Foundry
    - it's a 3/3 daily wrapper mission
    - it does not take TIME into consideration, just completion.
    - you can play 5 hours or 2 seconds a day you get 1440
    - there is no way to play for 2+ hours and get your 8000 just by foundry (but you can play 2 hours STFs and have your 8000).

and so on...
    you can not play PvP for hours and get your 8000
    you can not play Kerrat for hours and get your 8000
    you can not play the NEW Fleet content for dilithium at all
    Nukara is a joke in terms of dilithium per time
    Shuttle Event... NO DIL

i am FORCED into exploiting the foundry to get any decent dilithium numbers.
    i am FORCED to grind contraband on my klingon characters and do the Contraband Turn in every time it's possible....

this is NOT how i wanted to play STO!

i want to enjoy my playtime and i want to get fair rewards for it.

i want that EVERYBODY gets rewarded fairly, no matter if they love the Foundry missions or if the PvP all day or if they are STF runners or Fleet players.

the whole dilithium economy in my eyes is FAIL and your answer Mr. dStahl was even more FAIL because you only look at numbers and statistics but ignore the BASIC GAME DESIGN behind it all.

I will keep farming my 8000 / day / char,
    until you finally deliver the TIME BASED currency that was advertised by Cryptic on STOked and everywhere else when F2P was in the making.

And so will all the other Dilithium Junkies out there.

And your numbers will not change.

Those numbers will not go down unless you plug the holes, but then the whole game economy may CRASH... and only recover if you reward ALL content as it would be expected.

PLEASE get your GAME DESIGNER hat on, reward fair dilithium / time for everything first, and THEN plug the farming options.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Two solutions:

1. Make that particular Lobi character bound. (Im sure its possible.)

2. Get rid of that one lobi all together and stop offering free ones in FE reruns. (For account bound Lobi Id be ok with this.)

I smell... Selfishness. Let those who don't buy lockboxes enjoying their free lobies, and use your brain next time you open a lockbox. Do this on ONE character only, most of the stuff offered in the lobi store isn't bound on pickup anyway. So why are you still crying for that? Play smart and leave the other players alone with your lobies we don't care about. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    my question is why is it that we can only get honest strait answers that come to fruition from the great ship artists?

The rest of the team has fallen off the map, and we only seem to get half truths a majority of the time since PWE has been involved?

Nothing is mentioned that the community would protest in advance to prevent it coming to fruition in game (such as charging for fleet ship modules that by dstahls own admission in ask cryptic that season updates and content was to be without cost. thus contradicting what has been told to the community since the beginning and up until ask cryptic that was just previous to season 6 launch. )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    //edit:

[redacted]

*dont feed the troll*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That said, most items purchased through the Lobi store are tradable. If we remove the option for each character to earn free Lobi, then we could consider making Lobi account bound. The conflict is that players are continually asking for ways to earn free Lobi.

"most" is insufficient

the Ferengi LockBox-Lobi Store had a Item Set that was Bound on Pickup per Character.

So...
    option 1:
    i start opening LockBoxes on my ... *shrug* Tellarite Captain.
    on my 150th box i get a D'Kora an decide to make a new FERENGI Character for that ship -> ZONK, i have 300 bound Lobi on the wrong character.

ok. i am intelligent and see this comming

option 2:
    i start a Ferengi Character, open 500 LockBoxes on him... and DON'T get a D'Kora ...awesome now i have a useless Ferengi Char that i don't want to play, with hundreds of BOUND Lobi and can NOT use the same Set Items that, are at least somewhat cool on their own with my Tellarite Character... bound... all is bound!

-> LOBI has to be account wide currency.
    -> or everything in the LOBI store has to be Bound to Account on Equip
    (and clothing options should be account wide anyway, i love collecting clothing options, but i won't spend 11 times as much $ on my ever growing ALT Army as any other single char player...)

...as i said before, please put your GAME DESIGN hat on and think this stuff through.

You are only shooting yourself in the foot here because with these uncertain outcomes i will just not open any boxes at all.

and for the Tholian Lobi Store i will just show you this:
    http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/suz9szct/BoP.png

so i have lots of LOBI on my Ferengi left over from last time, want the Sword on my Trill or whatever...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Q: (asdfjkadfjkasf) Is there ever going to be a TNG skant uniform? And if so, would it be unisex like the one in the show?

Dstahl: It almost happened for the TNG 25th anniversary, but we ended up doing the Season 1 uniform instead. If and when the skant arrives, it will be unisex.

Hello... the Skants are also season 1 uniforms. And you only gave us the top as we already had the season one pants (as it is the same trousers they used later).
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Why was i forcefully disconnected I as Vanessa Rozhenko HAVE A PARTY AT DS-9 to go to at 9pm eastern tonight it's even posted on the dleet update on Starfleet UFP Special Alliance. The party is being hosted by OMEGA ARMADA you people at cryptic/perfect world need to get a grip and why can'nt my other toon dance at drozana and pick up on women , the asses in the control room are total flakes totally afraid to ban Starfleet dental for a lifetime for thier continueing antic's by harrassing player's at drozana with fire extinguishers banning me are going to get certain player's curious and i'm going to say on fleet chat on monday that i was banned for no reason at all by the flaky TRIBBLE control freak's at cryptic/perfect world believe that..

Wrong thread to be posting on! Try Costumer Support.

How do I report posts in this new forum setup?
  • Options
    leoclarkleoclark Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I was wondering if it could be possible for people to create a star ship of their own besides the store ones and the current ones given at leveling. I am asking this due to the fact that it can be limited to rules within the star trek universe and that every ship out there is cookie cutter but sometimes allowing a variant to be created along the same lines as the original ship of the class is possible it would be unique to the person creating it.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    My character is ambassador/vice admiral Vanessa Rozhenko grand daughter of worf which means i out rank you , cryptic/perfect world know's it as long as i'm not putting any hate speech on this forum you can also take a stfu ok i've been on sto since last september of 2011 and they do know my ip addrees TRIBBLE all of these little whiny babies and most of them are not trekkie or trekkers and possibly never seen the show's and the movies but i seen them all ..

In-game ranks have no power here. And I've been here since Open Beta, have seen all the Trek films, watched every episode of TOS, half the TNG episodes, practically all the DS9 and ENT episodes, and about a quarter (at least) of the VOY episodes. The only reason I don't have all of them is money constraints.

And, again, wrong thread! You want Cryptic to unban you? Appeal the ban in Customer Support. Stop hassling people wanting to talk about a Dev update.

Plus, it's "shows" not "show's".
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    leoclark wrote: »
    I was wondering if it could be possible for people to create a star ship of their own besides the store ones and the current ones given at leveling. I am asking this due to the fact that it can be limited to rules within the star trek universe and that every ship out there is cookie cutter but sometimes allowing a variant to be created along the same lines as the original ship of the class is possible it would be unique to the person creating it.

That would be cool, considering the limits of the ship tailor. But, I don't think Cryptic has the resources to do that.
  • Options
    archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Q: (captainmarshal) When will we be able to fight Tholians in space? I?ve fought them in space on Tribble, but I haven?t seen them in space yet on Holodeck.

Dstahl: Tholians will start showing up when the Starbase you are defending is big enough to draw their interest. When you queue up for a public event, the queue chooses a Starbase to defend at random from one of the people in the queue. In private queues, the Starbase is the queue owner?s Starbase.

I think a good question for next month's AC would be if we would be getting space missions where the Tholians are the sole aggressors, something seperate from the FAs. Maybe even a new Featured Series.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The STO timeline/Stardate changes as you play. At level 1 there is a big war, but as you play you're slowly affecting that war. You earn some trust with the KDF through the Missions. For example, you eventually get rid of B'vat and by the time you reach VA, at a much later Stardate then when you started, the Feds and KDF are far more cordial toward each other. They're working together to deal with Borg, Iconians, and Undine. So yes, the story does advance as you play.

So it's not about needing to get rid of the war. It's just about understanding that by the time you get to VA the war is coming to a close through your actions.

Yeah. I think the way it's setup currently, the existing batch of missions end with us pretty much in December of 2409.

Would be nice to roll that calendar forward.

There might be a chance if the Nexus comes around in 2410 and the new sector block is the region of space with the Nexus in it. Since missions only take place "once," we could conceivably have a Nexus mission in the new block.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mattachine wrote: »
    Hello... the Skants are also season 1 uniforms. And you only gave us the top as we already had the season one pants (as it is the same trousers they used later).

I always make a point of correcting this:

The S1 pants had department color piping on the pant legs.

And if the character artist ever does see fit to add that, I'd strongly suggest they use the DS9 Admiral pants as the template since they mesh better with the S1 top than the standard TNG pants to, emphasizing the center seam and making it look more authentically like a one piece.
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    Dstahl: We pay very close attention to the amount of Dilithium in the economy and how much Dilithium is acquired on a daily basis. For example, the average amount of Dilithium earned per day per player has been steadily increasing day over day since Season 6 released, without us adding Dilithium to any new mission rewards.

I liked this month's article a lot. However, this piece I don't see as a valid assessment. My little fleet did indeed grind a lot of dilithium to work on our starbase, because there are things we wanted to add. We did not enjoy it and I've noticed that the flow has tapered off dramatically.

We did the grinding because there is no other way to accomplish anything with starbases. It's boring. I'd far rather play mission content than grind the same handful of dilithium/fleet mark missions.

The only point I'm trying to make is don't assume that becauses numbers crunch that it is all good. When you back players into corners and only give them limited grinds to accomplish certain things, of course the numbers are going to support the idea. There's no other ways for players to do it. It doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Adding dilithium and such to missions will make it more fun for more players. For me personally, while I enjoy some of the new fleet mark missions, I can only do them so many times in a row before I wear out on them. Variety is good. So is immersion.
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    <snip>

and so on...
    you can not play PvP for hours and get your 8000

<snip>

Actually you can. Play red. It doesn't even take hours.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    my question is why is it that we can only get honest strait answers that come to fruition from the great ship artists?

The rest of the team has fallen off the map, and we only seem to get half truths a majority of the time since PWE has been involved?

So, glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking that...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Military-Power/Star%20Trek%20Online/dTc6n.jpg
  • Options
    sammygm18sammygm18 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My question is we will ever see DS9 under Siege! If not will there be a other way to get the DS9 trophy?
    Sammygm.png
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yep, artful dodging of my questions.

Incidentally, what's odyssey47's in-game name, so that I can put him on ignore? Whilst I'm in a 70+ person fleet myself making good progress with the SB, I just don't like the guy.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As a STFer, let me just say that it gets my stamp of approval :D It's really, really awesome.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Right, because you would say it sucked if it did??? No offense but the only thing you COULD say about it is that it's "really really awesome".
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Q: (tobar26th) Any news on ?Into the Hive??

Dstahl: We had our first playtest last week. It is pretty awesome fighting the Borg Queen, but there were several elements leading up to the boss room that need some more work.

Oh hope this means we'll finally get another STF soon.

I would not read too much into this answer from Dsthal.

Remember, this is the same guy who said he played through the dominion featured series some 7 or more months prior to its launch, which was clearly a lie because the new ep said the missions had not even been started on yet! :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    roguestarshiproguestarship Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hello is where I can summit a question for next time.

I've notice not many of questions Mention anything about Foundary I mean the editing/creation part.

So here my Foundary Editor related questions.

1. What's happening with Foundary regarding future upgrades & Improvements?

2. Will you adding more Content to it including new ships, More bridges, New button features?

3. Will you ever considered letting the player actually edit from within test game play? eg walk spot & just added an item there so you can see materialze actually there or have a seperate game for npc to allow temporay control of npc character to place npc in position in game play.

4. Will we ever be able to recreate the things seen in STO F2P Trailer? Like Bridge stuff & Funeral?
  • Options
    four7alphatangofour7alphatango Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is there an ETA or update on the Ambassador class making its way into the game?
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is there an ETA or update on the Ambassador class making its way into the game?

Yep, we have been told the next Feature Episode to come out will be next year either late spring or early summer :(.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=352341
  • Options
    wade1161wade1161 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would like to see a increase in the amount of dilithium that can be refined since most of the star base projects take hundreds of thousands to do.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not gonna happen, as people can still decide not to contribute dilithium to starbases and "exploit" and devalue the zen price on the exchange.

However maybe you can adjustthe starbase system to accept unrefined dilithium perhaps?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    wade1161wade1161 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Not gonna happen, as people can still decide not to contribute dilithium to starbases and "exploit" and devalue the zen price on the exchange.

However maybe you can adjustthe starbase system to accept unrefined dilithium perhaps?

I like that idea. I also agree with devaluing the zen price. (good point)
  • Options
    paragon92518paragon92518 Member Posts: 268
    edited August 2012
    raj011 wrote: »
    Yep, we have been told the next Feature Episode to come out will be next year either late spring or early summer :(.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=352341

For the record...why the heck should we " believe " the Devs at this point? The FE could be Season 32 for all we know.
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My questions would be:

1- When is pet AI going to be worked on again? The first time it removed a major bug in them (team-mates sending orders to pets) but messed up the means of the carrier to control the pets (the 'carrier constantly sending order to pet' plus pets not returning to carrier asap when ordered to recall but rather they crawl... AND the bird of prey idiotic minute-long side-trips to target which makes them almost useless).

This is a CRITICAL issue and so far I have not seen any effort or comment from the dev team to address it. For Q's sake you released two new carriers since then and the pets are still fubar. Please fix them (and do so LISTENING to the playerbase).

2- Lobi. Account-wide. When? This design decision has earned ye a triple /facepalm with the entire playerbase.

3- Why do we need to have an empty character slot to use the foundry? You're shooting yourselves in the foot by denying access to a feature where players create content for you... for FREE. Don't cost you a penny.

4- Tier 1 ships allowed into shuttle-events (Vault, etc). Can it be done? It'd give the little iconic ships everyone loves a playground. -or- make a new event for them. Time travel into the past type mission? Mmm :)
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My questions would be:

1- When is pet AI going to be worked on again? The first time it removed a major bug in them (team-mates sending orders to pets) but messed up the means of the carrier to control the pets (the 'carrier constantly sending order to pet' plus pets not returning to carrier asap when ordered to recall but rather they crawl... AND the bird of prey idiotic minute-long side-trips to target which makes them almost useless).

This is a CRITICAL issue and so far I have not seen any effort or comment from the dev team to address it. For Q's sake you released two new carriers since then and the pets are still fubar. Please fix them (and do so LISTENING to the playerbase).

2- Lobi. Account-wide. When? This design decision has earned ye a triple /facepalm with the entire playerbase.

3- Why do we need to have an empty character slot to use the foundry? You're shooting yourselves in the foot by denying access to a feature where players create content for you... for FREE. Don't cost you a penny.

4- Tier 1 ships allowed into shuttle-events (Vault, etc). Can it be done? It'd give the little iconic ships everyone loves a playground. -or- make a new event for them. Time travel into the past type mission? Mmm :)

You will have to re-post your questions in the September Ask Cryptic Thread, when BranFlakes creates it in the last week of this month,...
    Otherwise you'll never get an Official answer. (at least not here anyway)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif