test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TOR officially going F2P

Comments

• captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    the story for the game was awesome if you ever get time to read or listen to the books for the game do so because it gave me a great insight as to how the star wars universe was formed

but the game didnt stay true all the way to many side missions to deal with for the story to conclude properly
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not really. I'm not entirely a fan of the Freemium model. -_-

why because it not like sto f2p every thing can be dun as a free player i lol @ thee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The biggest issue for now is the travel limitations they've mentioned in the feature list. The planets in SWTOR are huge and for all those stupid grinding quests they make you do you have to travel all over them.

I bet these travel limitations are going to be as crazy as if STO made F2P players only able to travel at warp 5 unless they subbed.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If its F2P I say no harm downloading it and trying it out, who knows I might get hooked just like in STO.

However I will say that I only really stuck to STO thanks to its mature and mutually-supportive community and that really is the deciding factor for online gaming IMO.
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I play both STO and LOTRO and I prefer the PWE f2p model over Turbine's. Why?

When LOTRO went F2P i liked their model, I thought it would be like playing subscription based game, but I will gradually pay for the content I want to play instead of paying for it monthly, whether I play it or not.
    After some time I changed my mind.

In LOTRO Turbine charges you for all the same things PWE would:
    - character slots,
    - extra bag space, shared storage
    - cosmetic options
    - some things that fall into the P2W bag : stat-tomes, trait slots, legendary items upgrades, premium classes,

but on top of all that you have to also pay for access to quests, instances and raids. And paying for quests in lotro really makes me angry, because I hate questing there (doing epic story quests in exception). They have thousands of boring, repeatable quests that I have to do to level up and access the things I like (raids and instances). Not only I have to do those quests I also have to pay for them!

It's good that in SWOTR leveling 1-50 will be free, but I hope there will be unlocks in SWTOR-store for raids and fast traveling options, else I won't even bother with that game.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    never got into the swtor community for most of the time i was playing there was maybe 2-5 people on the worlds i was on and as they as MASSIVE WORLDS then finding someone was hard on night after a month of the game launching me and a giuldy spent 5 hours on a planet called ballmorra and we were the only ones there for around 6 hours it was then we knew the game was ment for F2p
  • ryanevryanev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    At first I was like > LOL, then I realised, STO now has another strong competitor. Hopefully it will spark some 'push' from PW.

That would mean better lockboxes then?
    edited August 2012
    kwiat007 wrote: »
    I play both STO and LOTRO and I prefer the PWE f2p model over Turbine's. Why?

When LOTRO went F2P i liked their model, I thought it would be like playing subscription based game, but I will gradually pay for the content I want to play instead of paying for it monthly, whether I play it or not.
    After some time I changed my mind.

In LOTRO Turbine charges you for all the same things PWE would:
    - character slots,
    - extra bag space, shared storage
    - cosmetic options
    - some things that fall into the P2W bag : stat-tomes, trait slots, legendary items upgrades, premium classes,

but on top of all that you have to also pay for access to quests, instances and raids. And paying for quests in lotro really makes me angry, because I hate questing there (doing epic story quests in exception). They have thousands of boring, repeatable quests that I have to do to level up and access the things I like (raids and instances). Not only I have to do those quests I also have to pay for them!

It's good that in SWOTR leveling 1-50 will be free, but I hope there will be unlocks in SWTOR-store for raids and fast traveling options, else I won't even bother with that game.

Agreed 100%

Everyone complaining about PWE's f2p model in this thread is deluded, it is probably the kindest model offered on the market. All the stuff that people complain about the most about PWE e.g. Lockboxes barely affects gameplay and is really just there for you to show off to everyone else in-game.

edited August 2012
    ryanev wrote: »
    That would mean better lockboxes then?

Seeing as though SWTOR requires you to pay $15 up front before you can play still and the fact that it blocks off ALL end-game content then no. This is no competition to STO, infact it may just take some people away from STO for a short while until everyone has finished the 8 storylines in SWTOR, then it will be forgotten again.

• baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Seeing as though SWTOR requires you to pay $15 up front before you can play still and the fact that it blocks off ALL end-game content then no. This is no competition to STO, infact it may just take some people away from STO for a short while until everyone has finished the 8 storylines in SWTOR, then it will be forgotten again.

i agree, it is a cool game, but not a real MMO. Once you leveled your toons you are done with the game. Also without space combat this game is no real competition...lightsabers are great, but if i can't command a star destroyer this game has no appeal to me.
    The controles are antique...i mean, like WOW 7 years ago and even feel more sloppy (atleast when i last played it in march)

I will have a look at it again when it's F2P, if it can spark new interest and STO has run out of new content once again. (thats pretty sure)

one thing is sure: customer support is better in swtor, and the game suffers no major bug issues.
    Go pro or go home
  • ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Looks like eve is the only subscriber based space mmo left?
    time for eve to go free to play too then i play it again ... and maybe that you cant lose your ship like in STO ...
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Haha.

One of my guild mates told me about it, and I thought "might try it again then", and went to look up the details. Then I found out they walled off content. So I immediately logged back into STO and ground out another 12 STFs. Sod that for a game of soldiers. :)

Y'know as obnoxious as $7 per character EV suits and ship modules are, at least PWE aren't asking us to pay to do STFs. (Although I hope this doesn't put the idea into their heads.)
    edited August 2012
    ussberlin wrote: »
    time for eve to go free to play too then i play it again ... and maybe that you cant lose your ship like in STO ...

You mean can* lose your ship right? I wouldn't want you going into Eve not knowing how harsh it is :P

• radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    I don't see any faults in SWTOR "Free" model. If you don't PVP, you don't need unrestricted access to Warzones. If you don't Raid, you don't need unrestricted access to Operations.
    Oh, PvP is restricted over there?

Well, I'm staying here then.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    All I can do is laugh, then I remember how much money I wasted on that game. Collectors edition, guide and 6 months of time cards...

I could have put that toward some of my reserves at the end of the year.
    edited August 2012
    radkip wrote: »
    Oh, PvP is restricted over there?

Well, I'm staying here then.

Even though STO pvp is very under populated and generally lacking in all departments, the SWTOR pvp was horrid, at least in STO PVP I can enjoy the fighting, SWTOR felt so clunky in comparison.

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ussberlin wrote: »

EVE has been free to play for a long time now. Well, for those who buy time for ingame currency.
  • picardxpicardx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I started playing once the to lvl 15 demo opened up. I am now lvl 5, first thing I thought was this is space WoW. I agree with a lot of people that say it's not worth subscribing to, and if i wanted to pay for this type of game I'd resub my WoW account. Between Tor and STO the only thing I've seen going for them is the voice acting and cut scenes and yeah I often wish some were text only. It's a pretty looking game but I think we have some better art assets and better looking run animations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    picardx wrote: »
    I started playing once the to lvl 15 demo opened up. I am now lvl 5, first thing I thought was this is space WoW. I agree with a lot of people that say it's not worth subscribing to, and if i wanted to pay for this type of game I'd resub my WoW account. Between Tor and STO the only thing I've seen going for them is the voice acting and cut scenes and yeah I often wish some were text only. It's a pretty looking game but I think we have some better art assets and better looking run animations.

Don't forget proper space gameplay.

• tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Um, who was the guy who made a thread showing off his custom made alien that looked like Yoda and was wielding one of those crystal swords that glowed and looked like a lightsaber? He really needs to read this.
  • cptvar88cptvar88 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    After being part of Both STO and SWTOR Beta's and seeing both games grow and change this game is light years beyond where it started (a good thing imho) and Swtor has become incredibly stagnant. I see no progress being made of the issues most players complain about. Much more just look at the time in which it took SWTOR to become F2P versus STO. A company doesn't randomly decided "hey i think today's a good day to give our work away for free" for no reason. As per the information coming out about Swtor's change to F2P its clear that the lack of quality game play has impacted the community of players so much that the drop in Subs is so large to push Bioware into F2P.

Personally i think gamers will still pay 15 a month for a game thats actually worth the money but we are tired of the "rush it out now patch it later" attitude that the majority of Dev's seem to be taking.

Maybe this will be a large enough statement to force the Upcoming Elder Scrolls MMO out of production. If there is one thing that the best RPG series (imho) doesn't need is Multiplayer much less a massively annoying one.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ouch. to go from over 2 million copies to less than a million subs is not very good at all. they have never been shy of revealing sub numbers, yet now its less than a mill they wont say, which leads me to think its significantly less than 1 million.

Considering that there will be an additional "dip" in sub numbers from ppl who will un-sub now and wait until F2P hits , that's not so good , I agree .
    edited August 2012
    cptvar88 wrote: »
    Maybe this will be a large enough statement to force the Upcoming Elder Scrolls MMO out of production. If there is one thing that the best RPG series (imho) doesn't need is Multiplayer much less a massively annoying one.

The Elder Scrolls Online will be the biggest MMO failure in history, calling it now.

• brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thing is, they have a system in place that actually rewards subscribers and rewards past subscribers for their time and money past spent. Something PWE didn't really do.

TOR bolted on Cartel Coins to their game. That's what subscribers and past subscribers get for their microtransaction store.
    STO Lifers and Golds get C-Store points. Not to mention Cryptic has had Veteran Rewards since City of Heroes, which means it predates WoW.

So what's the missing piece, exactly? :rolleyes:
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    I read that you will still have to buy the game (eg no free download) ? Not sure how true this is.
    They're making you pay $15 for the game.

I'm not convinced that's true. What BW is saying is that the retail box will cost $15 instead of $60, which basically gets you a box and 1 month. Because GameStop won't devote shelf space to anything that they can't earn from.

You can't build a F2P model with *ANY* up front charges. It won't work. It's antithetical.

Also it's contrary to what's happening now. Right now you can download and play through level 15 for free, OR buy the retail box for $15. Coming back to full F2P won't cost $15 first. Find me a press release quote or matrix box that says otherwise. You're FUDing all over this thread. :P

Here's my citations from the press release and Help Center. Put your cards on the table, son. ;)
    As the first step towards adding the new Free-to-Play option this fall, in August at retail Star Wars: The Old Republic will go on sale for $14.99 USD, including one-month of free subscription.
    Anyone can download and play the game for free when the Free-to-Play option goes live. Or download the Free Trial and play to level 15 for free now.
    You won?t need a credit card to play. However, should you wish to purchase Cartel Coins from the Cartel Market, you will need a valid credit card or PayPal account.
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ...Maybe this will be a large enough statement to force the Upcoming Elder Scrolls MMO out of production. If there is one thing that the best RPG series (imho) doesn't need is Multiplayer much less a massively annoying one.

One can only hope. I've never wanted a game to *not* be made as much before (well maybe the warhammer 40k dark millennium mmo).
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Anyone know what the race restrictions are? If they restrict my favorite races, I am not going to play.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    tharkan wrote: »
    Anyone know what the race restrictions are? If they restrict my favorite races, I am not going to play.

When did they ever state species restriction? Maybe the new Cathar, but there is nothing stating any restrictions in that area at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • picardxpicardx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Much more just look at the time in which it took SWTOR to become F2P versus STO.

A friend of mine tried to tell me this game was failing for going F2P after two years and that games don't go free unless they are failing, he was also telling me to un-sub from here to join them on Tor. I get a perverse sense of pleasure thinking that our game with its smaller base has done better in that regard to a game as (over)hyped as Tor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've never been someone who believes it has to be "this" or "that" in life. I'm a person who enjoys gaming, so I game. I'm also a huge sci-fi fanatic. I've grown up watching Star Trek, Star Wars, Space: Above and Beyond, Battlestar Galactica (both series), Andromeda, Buck Rogers, Farscape, and my all-time favorite Firefly - not to mention many, many more.

It's OK to like both, hate both, like one more then the other, etc. I've literally played hundreds of games and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. When I get tired of repeating STO missions I go to SWTOR for a bit. When I get tired of repeating SWTOR missions I come back to STO - or I go to something else. Even though I consider STO and SWTOR to both be average MMOs they're games you can play and enjoy on and off for quite a long time.

I personally encourage people to try more games. There are hundreds to choose from. If people wouldn't get so wrapped up in only one game they'd find they're better able to deal with all the little disappointments a game throws at them; and far less likely to make all those little disappointments into mountains. That's just as true for SWTOR players as it is STO players.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.