test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: July 2012

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Dan Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

Link to the article.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Dan Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

[URL="http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=603951]Link to the article.[/URL]

Thank YOU. :D

uummmm... Your Link isn't working... :(

...must be that 22% of Extra Effort, that Ya put into creating it on a Friday afternoon... ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • bds007bds007 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Bran, your link is broken... it has an extra http://%22 at the beginning.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This link should work, until Brandon can fix his post.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    For the record, here were the actual questions I asked:
    In the most recent in game Q&A you said that a Romulan ship will not appear in a lock box because they are being saved for an upcoming Romulan faction.

(1) How can the team ever create a Romulan faction when they cant even finish the KDF faction after 2 and a half years?

(2) And if plans for a Rom faction are the reason for not doing a Rom lock box, does that mean that there are no plans for having a Card faction since you did a Galor lock box?

You also said that in Aug or Sep the foundry spotlight missions would be getting official rewards and would be featured in the mission journal similar to how the FEs were featured in the past.

(3) Will these missions also get full xp rewards similar to official missions, and if so can this be a means of finishing the KDF and any future factions?

Another I'd like to add for future Q&A's is why were the Excalibur/Vesper left out of the fleet store since they are not connie's and have nothing to do with CBS not allowing a T5 connie?

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This link should work, until Brandon can fix his post.

Thank You. ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    Fixed! :) I realized I put a " before the link, but not after.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Q: (aegon1ice) Obviously Season 7 will be all about Story. Can we at least expect to see a Romulan faction in Season 8?

Dstahl: Who says a Romulan faction can?t be all about story?

That is either the best news for those that were hoping for a Romulan faction or the biggest piece of trolling ever.
  • sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Q: (sierrafortune) Will ships that are made available through use of the upcoming Fleet System be made available by other means to players who do not wish to join a Fleet?

Dstahl: Fleet Ships will be restricted to members of a Fleet who overcome the necessary challenges in order to obtain these top end ships. While we don?t expect to offer these ships to non-Fleet players, we have kept the limitations on being in a Fleet very low so that even if you are a Fleet of yourself plus Alts, you may effectively not join a Fleet and still face these same challenges in order to obtain the ships.

Thanks for the answer! I'm not going to lie though, I'd prefer it if there were a way to get them outside of a fleeting altogether, but I understand that Fleets were the focus for this one, and that making them available to a single player would really detract a lot from the incentive to joining a fleet at all.

I thought one of the later answers was interesting though.
    Q: (alastorforthrigh) Will we finally see a change to the STF droprates in any sort of meaningful number?

Dstahl: This is on the schedule to be addressed as part of Season 7 and will make the Omega Fleet STFs more in line with how Fleet Advancement reward unlocks work.

I know the question had nothing to do with ships, but a revamp of STF's in Fleet Advancement Style, in my humble opinion, would be the perfect place to put out a set of ships you can obtain yourself, maybe MACO/Omega/Honor Guard Variants of existing ships.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Q: (akrilon) Are there any plans to incorporate voice over options for Bridge Officers or Captains in the near future?

Dstahl: Not in the near future. We have discussed this feature for a long time. Cryptic has a strong belief in allowing players to have as much control over their character?s look and persona as possible. Considering all the options available in the character creator, it would require hundreds of unique voices in order to achieve the level of customization we want players to have. Unfortunately, given how much dialog is in our game, that is extremely expensive and most likely not in the stars for us at this time. That hasn?t stopped people like me from wanting it to happen in game, but currently there are some big hurdles preventing it.

If he's talking about voice overs for EVERY SINGLE LINE OF DIALOGUE in the game, that's understandable.

However, there are still hundreds of thousands of pre-recorded voice clips in the game's sound data files that haven't been utilized in two years. What will be done with those? Will they be made available to be heard in-game by NPC's or boffs at some point, or will they continue to not be used?

Something as simple as hearing our boffs speak lines like "Charging weapons!" or "Enemy vessel in range, Captain." can add a ton of immersion to the game and make our crew feel like more than just paper dolls that follow us around and man stations on our ships.
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited July 2012
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=603951

Q: (deutchcraft) Are we ever going to see the Vesta class in game?

Dstahl: Ask me again in one month.

omnomnomnom :D
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Q: (EzriRayne) One word ? Poker ? XD

Dstahl: Amazing how this one mini-game continues to come up every single Ask Cryptic. It must be a very popular game in order for it to still be around in the future. I?ve no objections to it being in the game as it appeared several times in Star Trek series. It really just boils down to a programmer having a little extra time to do this as a side project. Unfortunately, our software programmers get very little extra time. Not ruling this out, but the odds are that this is just about as rare as a Royal Flush at this point. Not impossible, just improbable in the short term

If it keeps being raised at every single AskCryptic, and regularly discussed by the community in the forums, WHY is it such a low priority that it needs Spare Time to develop it? What the Community wants and what Cryptic thinks we want are sometimes not the same :rolleyes:
  • starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm happy! He answered my question!

:cool:
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    mine also

we may yet see TOS communicators and transporter effects (much better than the later ones)
    Live long and Prosper
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited July 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    mine also

we may yet see TOS communicators and transporter effects (much better than the later ones)

they had better make the noise when the comminicators flip up :p
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    oh definately

and also id like to see them perform the lid flip
    Live long and Prosper
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    couldn't help but notice he didn't answer any of the kdf specific questions...
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love reading these and I'm glad "Ask Cryptic" returned.

Thanks for answering my question.
  • brodie0854brodie0854 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Q: (akrilon) Are there any plans to incorporate voice over options for Bridge Officers or Captains in the near future?

Dstahl: Not in the near future. We have discussed this feature for a long time. Cryptic has a strong belief in allowing players to have as much control over their character?s look and persona as possible. Considering all the options available in the character creator, it would require hundreds of unique voices in order to achieve the level of customization we want players to have. Unfortunately, given how much dialog is in our game, that is extremely expensive and most likely not in the stars for us at this time. That hasn?t stopped people like me from wanting it to happen in game, but currently there are some big hurdles preventing it.

Am i wrong or is there tons of Bridge Officer VO work already recorded and in the game code, adding the ability to add these to our BOFFs and adjust the tone/pitch/speed to customise them to our vision of our BOFF would be more than sufficient.
    Obviously having the ability to disable this all together for those who dont like it would be required.
    Q: (aegon1ice) Obviously Season 7 will be all about Story. Can we at least expect to see a Romulan faction in Season 8?

Dstahl: Who says a Romulan faction can?t be all about story?

Did....no.......he didnt.......did he just hint at........naw cant be..............can it?!?

Sadly there is no word of the one thing i've been praying for for years now and that is the ability to fully customise my ships interior using a foundry like interface. Hell you can even sell prop packs on the C-Store if you want i'd happily buy them!
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hmmm... What would the Voyager Bundle include?

I think a Proper Intrepid class interior/bridge would be a given.

Uniforms? Maybe Maquis rank pins?

Neelix's ship as a small craft?

Maybe the DOFF pack in will be Talaxian and Ocampa.
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Q1 is it possible to have reload animation for ground weapons?
    For the shotgun it like a SPAS-12 and for sniper rifle more like a bolt action rifle
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited July 2012
    yay for lack of pvp!

edit- and yay for lack of any concern for balancing the game!
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Certainly more upbeat than last month. Thanks for talking the time to engage with the community Mr. Stahl (and tks Brandon for facilitating it).
  • at4sweapat4sweap Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    3 questions

1. will there be a way to access the bank and exchange in the ship interior?

2. and why is there no 360 fight. as i mean why cant we go strait up and strait down. instead of corkscrewing down.

3. and are u going to do anything about fighters in STF seem to want to do what ever they want and at a certain point u can control them any more.
    FED Char IGN - deathcape@at4sweap
    KDF Char IGN - bluecape@at4sweap
  • logang19logang19 Member Posts: 13,843 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    glad to hear we may see rommulans net season. i know we probably wont :( but he hinted it is possible :) have to wait and see.
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My questions were passed over :( epic fail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nhawks1717nhawks1717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I know the ask Cryptic for July is over, but what is up with the no special bridge for the Atrox?There was a new one for the Odyssey, I was very disappointed when I saw I didn't get a special bridge for my Atrox!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Hmmm... What would the Voyager Bundle include?

I think a Proper Intrepid class interior/bridge would be a given.

Uniforms? Maybe Maquis rank pins?

Neelix's ship as a small craft?

Maybe the DOFF pack in will be Talaxian and Ocampa.

I'm hoping for the areoshuttle instead of Neelix's ship as the small craft.

I'm also hoping for a full ship interior, astrometrics, seven of nine's alcove in the cargo bay, engineering ect., ect.

I like your doff pack suggestions with various delta quadrant races.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    brodie0854 wrote: »
    Did....no.......he didnt.......did he just hint at........naw cant be..............can it?!?

Did he hint at that Romulans were........ I just peed a little :eek:
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My questions were passed over :( epic fail

Mine were too, but trust me I'll be asking some of them again next month.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • dhiemmdhiemm Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "Q: (aegon1ice) Obviously Season 7 will be all about Story. Can we at least expect to see a Romulan faction in Season 8? Dstahl: Who says a Romulan faction can?t be all about story?"

Things that make you go hmmm, So to me it sounds like we will get the Romulans as a playable faction in season seven I hope I'm right about this if I am it's good bye SWTOR.
    DHIEMM.png

Join date July 08