test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Explain why you think the KDF is not as popular as the fed side...

nerehtnert7512nerehtnert7512 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
...for me it boils down to not being able to start as KDF from day one. As it stands now, new players start as feds, and must unlock the KDF. Human nature alone would account for lower population...taking the easiest path available whenever possible means the vast majority of new players would simply continue as feds, even with the option to make KDF characters.

The next major factor would be the red UI the KDF has. Many players have complained that it's a strain on the eyes. I don't really notice it when I'm playing my KDF characters until I switch over to the fed side. The fed's blue UI is much easier to look at than the KDF's red, no question. I would suggest that the default UI color be changed to a neutral gray with red or blue trim depending on faction.

I also don't think you can discount the amount of airtime KDF characters got in the shows and movies as opposed to federation characters. The most famous KDF character wore a Federation uniform, after all. Fans of Star Trek tend to identify more with the Federation.

That being said, it's not hopeless for PW/Cryptic to make the KDF more popular to both new and existing players. I would point to the popularity of the Horde in WoW and the Empire in SWTOR as examples of the 'bad guys' being equally or more popular than the 'good guys'.

Bottom line is, you get out what you put in. And there is no question in my mind that Cryptic/PW has failed to put enough resources into the KDF to make it a viable alternative to the Federation.

Your thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by nerehtnert7512 on

Comments

• th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There are 2 main reasons:

1) The Star Trek IP is mainly focused on the Federation. Because of this, most players will mainly play Fed.

2) Cryptic royally botched the KDF faction in STO. Because of this, even less people play KDF than would have if it had been done right.

When you combine these 2 reasons, you have a very small KDF playerbase.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mandrake45mandrake45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Lack of content is the reason both why the KDF start at 25 and there aren't more of them.

Personally, I have more KDF characters than Fed ones.
    Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
  • chk231chk231 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If players were allowed to play a Klingon character at level 1 from the beginning, then the population would probably be much higher. At this point, content would have to be created in order for players to start a level 1 Klingon...and I don't see that happening.
  • oridjerraaoridjerraa Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not being able to play a Klingon as I want to play one; that being allied with the Federation and having a shared enemy to contend with. Sure I can role a Federation Klingon, but I can't bring all the bells and whistles of the Klingon culture to the table.

I don't like destroying Starfleet ships and I don't like destroying Klingon ships, as I view the war as wrong for these two great peoples.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    For non Trek obsessives, the Klingons are nothing but space vikings. The only appealing part of their faction is the ability to make your own green space hooker. It's sensible that folks would want to play a Kirk rather than a Worf.

Klingons should have been part of the main game from first level. Not a sideshow.
    <3
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    mandrake45 wrote: »
    Personally, I have more KDF characters than Fed ones.

Me too. But for the dilithium/ contraband farming and not because of any compelling reason like a heap of unique content.
    <3
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »
    The only appealing part of their faction is the ability to make your own green space hooker.

Just a fyi: You can make your own Green space hooker on the federation side without any issue.

Your other reasons are just as invalid.
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Just a fyi: You can make your own Green space hooker on the federation side without any issue.

Your other reasons are just as invalid.

Indeed. With the outstanding Alien charater generator that this game has, your space hooker can be any color.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • mandrake45mandrake45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I play an Orion for thematic purposes as I wanted an FDC. My Klingon(ish) was originally intended to be my pvp toon, something I hope to get to eventually.

Nothing to do with space hookers or dil farming.
    Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
  • genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

1. The KDF had minimal content from day 1.
    2. The KDF has fewer ships that the Fed from day 1 (yes it's gotten better, but...).
    3. The KDF has almost no costume options compared to the Fed from day 1.
    4. The KDF has/had more bugged missions that have gone un-repaired from day 1.
    5. The KDF (because of less attention) had PvP missions as storyline leveling missions, which turns away PvE only players.
    6. Cryptic's fix for the KDF was to eliminate half of the levels from the KDF, starting us at 21.
    7. As much as I love my Catain carrier, Cryptic is removing the uniqueness of the KDF faction.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the list I came up with after less than a minute of thought.

I believe costumes, ships and levels are the top three. Even with those who find "dress up" unimportant, this IS a RPG and we all want some uniqueness to our characters. The lack of costumes for the KDF when there are so MANY for the Feds really burns me up.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    OT: Thanks to the person or persons who got the personalized avatars back up.

Now back on topic, even a non ST fan such as myself knows, the Klingons in the 1960's were the black hats pure and simple. My husband said there has been so many convoluted story changes to the fake history, that no fan can tell you anything but what they think or believe.

For example; most of the older shows are human ego driven. Earth was the first in space and the first to invent warp drive and the first to contact aliens. The Klingons were a more primitive culture when Earth made first contact and shared the tech. Since TNG they developed a more Samurai - Viking hybrid.

None of this has to do with why players are not into playing on the Klingon side. It has everything to do with the fact that I could not choose it until level 25 on Federation side. I played WoW and my main character for a long time was Blackwitch on the horde. It was the first character I made up. Later I made up some cute gnomes, but I preferred playing my zombie priestess. I dropped WoW so I no longer own the Blackwitch so don't look for me there.

I believe, IF Cryptic had both factions open since day-one, there may have been more balance. I read that statistically human is the most chosen race on any MMO. So it could be a bit psychological. You can make a human on KDF using alien. But I am different because I want the ability to step far outside myself. My hubby and I are old school pencil and paper RPG players. When the game gives me the freedom to choose I go all the way.

Given time more players might join the KDF. I try not to read too much about the fake history. My current character for example is assisting the Klingons to destroy Earth for his own ends. He is not a Klingon but an Irken invader. Most of you may know who Skoodge already is from seeing him on TV.

Well that is what I do. I try to think "outside the box". Oh and when I was 8 years-old most of my Barbie dolls were evil and somewhat male dominating...
    I better have a talk with my psychiatrist. :D
    NFA-banner.png
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's a downward spiral. It may have evened out over time, but not with Cryptic producing significantly more content with the Feds in mind. It kills retention.

The fewer things Cryptic implements for the Klingons, the fewer Klingons will stick around why they see the fed side showered in goodies.. The fewer Klingons that stick around, the fewer things Cryptic implements for Klingons.

Their are only a few ways of fixing it.

1) Merge the sides through some alliance and let them use each others stuff. (CBS probably won't go for it)

2) Create major incentives. (cryptic won't do it because it alienates their major cash cow, fed players). They can't even stop themselves from bleeding a handful of Klingon exclusives over.

3) throw major money behind fleshing out the faction and coercing people into playing it, while hoping you don't lose a ton of money. This is a big gamble and honestly I don't see it happening

The reality is they will do nothing. The Klingons will alway be a red headed step child groveling for the fewer and fewer scraps tossed its way. That's just the money talking.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    i only play kdf and have all but one kdf ships from cstore
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Incomplete content (I prefer playing a character up from nothing instead of starting halfway).

Eye-burning poor-contrast GUI colors.
    The primary reason is that I had to start a Fed character first. By the time I was level 20whatever that KDF unlocks at, I had an attachment to the character I'd been playing. Would I have picked KDF if I had the choice at level 1? I don't know, but at least it would have had a fair shot.

A contributing factor is that I hate the KDF UI. Bright red everywhere is uncomfortable for me to look at, and orange allies and yellow enemies? You've got to be kidding. I have no color blindness, yet I struggle at times picking out my targets.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    For me, it is several factors:

1: (this is the most important btw): If I am to play KDF, I want it to feel KDF... I want to be honor bound, and forced to live by thoose rules or be banned for dishonor.
    Currently the KDF is more like a band of thugs and rouges, and not a warrior race that has its ethics in a stong sense of honor and loyalty.

2: I am fine with the "Start later" thing... But if theres even less to do than with the Feds, then it's not worth doing.

I DO have one of each carreer KDF's btw.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    For those that don't remember when STO came out you started your KDF at level 6. I know I played mine from 6 to 50, at least one of them anyway.

With that in mind, starting from 1 would not increase the player base more than a point or two percentage wise.

Like it or not Star Trek is not about the Klingons it is about the Federation. More KDF content would not bring a mass of amount of players to the game. According to Dstahl, the KDF base has been about 12-16 percent and their research has shown that more KDF content would not significantly increase that. (You look for the thread.)

Now, I can understand the KDF players wanting more content, personally I think all sides should get more content but the truth is the KDF will always basically play second fiddle to the Federation as it were.
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There are 2 main reasons:

1) The Star Trek IP is mainly focused on the Federation. Because of this, most players will mainly play Fed.

2) Cryptic royally botched the KDF faction in STO. Because of this, even less people play KDF than would have if it had been done right.

When you combine these 2 reasons, you have a very small KDF playerbase.

#1 answers the question.

#2 is just a posters personal opinion and should not be taken as anything but just a opinion.
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    maina wrote: »
    #1 answers the question.

#2 is just a posters personal opinion and should not be taken as anything but just a opinion.

Cryptic's abysmal handling of the KDF faction since Day 1 and which still continues now, after 2 years, isn't opinion. It's fact.

The only thing that Cryptic has despised and neglected even more than the KDF faction, if you can believe it, is... PVP.

PVP has received absolutely no attempts on making it better. No attempts at expanding it. No attempts in putting more areas to fight in. Absolutely, NOTHING.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Cryptic's abysmal handling of the KDF faction since Day 1 and which still continues now, after 2 years, isn't opinion. It's fact.

The only thing that Cryptic has despised and neglected even more than the KDF faction, if you can believe it, is... PVP.

PVP has received absolutely no attempts on making it better. No attempts at expanding it. No attempts in putting more areas to fight in. Absolutely, NOTHING.

What the hell is your point? Had nothing to do with mine.

You do know that PvP has nothing to do with factions, and has everything to do with mechanics and support?

Oh and you did see that PvP is so low on metrics, that it's not worth it? Sure you can live by "Build it and they will come", but most of us know "Adults with imaginary friends suck" is more like real life.

Don't blame the poor goat, just realize you aren't "all that" and never have been...
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's the smell. I don't like Lilac.

:P

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    They're written like generic bad guys, the Space Orks teamed up with the Space Mafia, declaring war because someone said mean things. All the development of TNG and DS9 and 100 years of thawing relations was erased so that a war could justify PVP play. Everything I found interesting about episodes like Sins Of The Father and Redemption was replaced with Loot & Pillage For The Lulz. All thats left is 2 missions with potential, but they vanish for 2 missions of the silly war storyline, then the Fek'lhri start up but end before any real development occurs. Then you get all the FE missions, where even when you do the right thing you find a jerkish way of doing it. I want to be Worf or Martok, not Klaa.
  • hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited June 2012
    red, red all around me! it hurts my eyes! :D
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • cedricophoffcedricophoff Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is actually a very good question to make a thread about. Had to say that. :) TBH i think its a combination of a small cluster of things.

- Klingon culture does not appeal to all who love Star Trek, everybody loves Fed because thats what all the series focus on. this alone will make that side smaller.

- Factor in that because you cant start as a Klingon. People in general will stick with the character they started off with wich in this game sadly will always be Fed. Another negative factor to the KDF side.

- KDF side has less content then Fed side. (This is not a whine) but it is yet another factor in the mental calculation as to why KDF has less people.

- Snowball effect, and by that i mean. KDF started off with very small amount of people. People like me who were insane enough to lvl to max by almost nothing but Pvp (untill you could enter borg space and do the deep space encounters). The fact that the community was so small there to begin with also keeps people from joining the KDF faction. Why join a side that has so little members you cant randomly join a group and pwn stuff with some random people and maybe get to know them?

- Dark, gloomy, and above all. Red all over the place. <--- some very small factors to calculate in for the small % of people that rly get annoyed at the constant overdose of red in your eyeballs, the darkness of klingon space in general, and the fact enemies show up as yellow and allies as red. repeat: Very, very small factor.
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    maina wrote: »
    #1 answers the question.

You are obviously confused. You seem to think that just because something is an opinion that it cannot *also* answer a question, which is false. Many answers to many questions are simply opinions. In fact, the very point of the OP was to get our opinions about the question he posed. So both of the points I made answer the question. Sorry you are so confused.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Because I heard the greatest captain ever say the words "Klingon TRIBBLE....you've killed my son....Klingon TRIBBLE you've killed my son......Klingon TRIBBLE..":(

And because even after the son killing Klingon TRIBBLE was in great peril Kirk offered his hand to help and was greeted with treachery. as seen here. :mad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1a-hqvGNI

Klingons were pretty much done for me from that day, except for Worf ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    2 main issues.

1. You must play feds first which makes ppl invest alot in a character which leaves you feeling like you dont want to switch later when kdf unlocks. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of people not playing kdf imo because they invested too much time and money in their fed char. KDF unlocked to 1-50 levels like fed and you would have more kdf players tho this would have been best early in the games life.

2. Not much content i.e missions to enjoy (not just for leveling) at the 1-24 level range or so. Also lack of costumes limits customization of a klingon plus the armors dont work for the visuals.

Fix these issues and i would imagine that the kdf players would rise. I know i would have picked kdf first when i started playing in open beta and at launch if it was on par with fed story content missions to enjoy not to level up to and unlocked from level 1 to 50.

Tbh its cryptics faulty for making it so fed orientated of a st game. I personally wanted a open universe to explore and have a factionless system so you pick a race, pick a ship and do what you want be that trader, or join the military of a race but not bound by a faction or explore with a long range ship basically have tng universe to explore how i liked. So there would be no federation plot lines unless you wanted to join starfleet not BE forced to play a captain of the federation at start. Let ppl play how they wanted to. With being focused on fed play and fed story lines as the main drive of sto it really limited their choices to have different races characters to play as and any of the universe ships to buy from say any one like a ferengi or steal one or rent one i mean the possibilites were endless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nerehtnert7512nerehtnert7512 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Tbh its cryptics faulty for making it so fed orientated of a st game. I personally wanted a open universe to explore and have a factionless system so you pick a race, pick a ship and do what you want be that trader, or join the military of a race but not bound by a faction or explore with a long range ship basically have tng universe to explore how i liked.

So there would be no federation plot lines unless you wanted to join starfleet not BE forced to play a captain of the federation at start. Let ppl play how they wanted to.

With being focused on fed play and fed story lines as the main drive of sto it really limited their choices to have different races characters to play as and any of the universe ships to buy from say any one like a ferengi or steal one or rent one i mean the possibilites were endless.

I must say I completely agree here. A neutral faction has been something I've advocated for awhile now. It was one of the first things I suggested in that old "short, mid, and long term" wish thread back on the old forums. I also wanted non military careers, ships, and missions.

So spot on!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    genericii wrote: »

1. The KDF had minimal content from day 1.
    2. The KDF has fewer ships that the Fed from day 1 (yes it's gotten better, but...).
    3. The KDF has almost no costume options compared to the Fed from day 1.
    4. The KDF has/had more bugged missions that have gone un-repaired from day 1.
    5. The KDF (because of less attention) had PvP missions as storyline leveling missions, which turns away PvE only players.
    6. Cryptic's fix for the KDF was to eliminate half of the levels from the KDF, starting us at 21.

Cryptic has neglected the KDF since open Beta. They knew very well that they had an unfinished faction at hand although they advertised the game as having two full factions.

In addition Cryptics treatment of the KDF since launch has been catastrophic. Announced releases, excusses for not keeping schedule, promises that the promised contend will come "soon" are regular things used by Cryptic to stall KDF development. In addition the open insults by the powers that be did not helpt to get back the trust either.
  • commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    "These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise"

/thread
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."