test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

meet the cryptic team?

tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
there are many new devs, and some of our older well known ones are leaving.

would it be possible for the new devs to introduce themselves and let us know what part of the game they work on?

for me its nice to know who does what so i can talk about topics with the correct dev.

i bet many of the " new guys" are great and talented people that would be fun to talk to and share our passion for trek with.

this would also give the newer players a chance to be introduced to some of the older devs that are still around.

i think this would be a win/win for both sides and help bring the community closer together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by tankalot42o on

Comments

• bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just wanna know who's replacing Geoff (Heretic) : Doff System, Starbase System, who knows what else. With him leaving, Season 6 and on deserves some answers on who took over in his place.

I'm pretty worried about seeing the systems he put in place being placed directly in front of a Doomsday Device.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just wanna know who's replacing Geoff (Heretic) : Doff System, Starbase System, who knows what else. With him leaving, Season 6 and on deserves some answers on who took over in his place.

I'm pretty worried about seeing the systems he put in place being placed directly in front of a Doomsday Device.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=280781 post 9 for who is doing the Doff's
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »

Oh, J-Man's on the project!? NICE! Hopefully, he can do something w/the crafting system in the meantime, since I was looking forward to him making it worthwhile. I know he wanted to do something w/it, I just don't know what. I have faith in you, Jeremy! Good luck on this endeavor!
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • archoncrypticarchoncryptic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hey everyone,

I'm Archon, and I and wanted to take a few moments to formally introduce myself. I'm the most recently hired Systems Designer for STO.

A little background: I started working professionally in the MMO industry in 2005; prior to that, I was a raid leader/guild master in games like Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, and WoW. I started at Cryptic as a QA Lead for another project, but I was promoted to Systems Design for STO a few months ago.

You haven't seen a lot of my work yet - much of it is for upcoming content - but I was one of the people who worked on the DS9 Duty Officer Pack (along with Borticus and Heretic). I made some of the Hamlet DOFFs, too, but that was mostly the other guys.

In terms of upcoming content I can actually talk about, I'm very heavily involved in designing items at the moment. I implemented most of the loot for the Fleet system, as well as the majority of the Operational Assets, which hopefully you'll be seeing soon. I'll also be continuing to work on the Duty Officer System, as well as dabbling in other systems, such as working on enemies, etc.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'll do my best to try to live up to Heretic's example as an outstanding Systems Designer with a good relationship with the player community.

See you all in-game and around the forums!

-Archon
  • lmrtlmrt Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Ok man, nice to meet you :)
    Yuxtapuestoelmono, not "Lmrt"
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Ooo, a Dark Age player. Send this man to the PVP dungeons!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well an interest in Shadowbane is very promising. STO's starbases, exploration, DOff system and fleets could use some of the dreams that Shaodwbane had.

Welcome aboard.
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • reallydumbpwereallydumbpwe Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hi, Archon... welcome to the team.
    Live long and prosper
  • tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    hello archon, very nice to meet you! you got ur hands in alot of stuff and im looking forward to seeing your work in the upcoming season! :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Ooo, a Dark Age player. Send this man to the PVP dungeons!

Seconded.

With the loss of Gozer, and our "PVP guy", we need a new Systems Designer to take care of overhauling / trashing the old PVP system, and building a newer, more robust system in it's place.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited June 2012

the systems he built will be fine borticus and Ro are doing doff's

Borticus did the new doff pack
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hey everyone,

I'm Archon, and I and wanted to take a few moments to formally introduce myself. I'm the most recently hired Systems Designer for STO.

A little background: I started working professionally in the MMO industry in 2005; prior to that, I was a raid leader/guild master in games like Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, and WoW. I started at Cryptic as a QA Lead for another project, but I was promoted to Systems Design for STO a few months ago.

You haven't seen a lot of my work yet - much of it is for upcoming content - but I was one of the people who worked on the DS9 Duty Officer Pack (along with Borticus and Heretic). I made some of the Hamlet DOFFs, too, but that was mostly the other guys.

In terms of upcoming content I can actually talk about, I'm very heavily involved in designing items at the moment. I implemented most of the loot for the Fleet system, as well as the majority of the Operational Assets, which hopefully you'll be seeing soon. I'll also be continuing to work on the Duty Officer System, as well as dabbling in other systems, such as working on enemies, etc.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'll do my best to try to live up to Heretic's example as an outstanding Systems Designer with a good relationship with the player community.

-Archon

We of the forums do not like change. Thus we shall call you Heretic2.0... *narrows eyes ominously*... and you shall like it.

j/k *whistles innocently*
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hey everyone,

-Archon

Nice to meet you and to pre warn you this community is very serious about STOs future and we can get moody, but the is the Star Trek community in general hope you enjoy your time working on STO and Godspeed see you in the game sometime.
  • tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    i hope other devs introduce themselves as well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Welcome Archon!

Making kick TRIBBLE Doffs is always a good way to ingratiate yourself into the community. :smile:
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hey everyone,

-Archon

Nice to meet you.

I suspect you won't be able to use the new loot to fix the fact that very Rare Deflectors, Impulse Engines or Shields are vendor trash thanks to the many sets with unique and often better properties plus their set bonuses?

Mustrum "Very Business-Oriented Greeting" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hey everyone,

-Archon

I have a mission for you: Delay Season 6 as much as you can untill you are sure all the gamebreaking bugs are gone...

Thats YOUR personal task from me now... If you do well, I have cookies for you :)
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    welcome and stay sane.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Welcome to the STO community, Archon. I look forward to seeing your work, and judging by your resume, you seem to have the experience to competently know what you're doing. I wish you a lot of luck in your new position, and hope the constant negativity on the STO forums does not get to you. A word of advice, people come to the forums to complain. People who enjoy the game (and your work) are/will be too busy playing STO to bother with the forums.

That said, pay close attention to honest critiques of the game -- ones with constructive criticism. Nevermind the rabble.

While I'm here, if you're going to be working on the doff system... any chance we could see Risian duty officers? Risa's part of the federation and their people haven't exactly been contributing to Starfleet or the war effort. :wink:
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    the King of Doff is dead, long live the king

Welcome archon, don't forget to ask Brandon where he gets his occasional pvp fix. It would be great to have someone who designs items involved with the pew pewing part of STO. We won't bite until you release the
    Console - Universal Rapid Fire Subnuke:biggrin:
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    A new hire?
    HAZING TIME!!!

I kid. I kid. :biggrin:

Welcome, Archon!

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2012

-Archon

I have one advice for you: Take a lesson from Gozer in how to communicate with players!

If you feed the players bs it will come back to bite you. Better to be honest. If someone makes a dumb request/complaint, and many do, just say that "this does not fit our business model" or "this takes too much work to be worth it" or "the majority of players would not like this". Don't lead them on or give them the idea that they are in the right.
  • archoncrypticarchoncryptic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I suspect you won't be able to use the new loot to fix the fact that very Rare Deflectors, Impulse Engines or Shields are vendor trash thanks to the many sets with unique and often better properties plus their set bonuses?

I am not currently working on updating any older gear, with the exception of fixing any bugs that I come across. I'm not saying this is never going to happen, but it's not what I'm assigned to at the moment.
    I have one advice for you: Take a lesson from Gozer in how to communicate with players!

If you feed the players bs it will come back to bite you. Better to be honest. If someone makes a dumb request/complaint, and many do, just say that "this does not fit our business model" or "this takes too much work to be worth it" or "the majority of players would not like this". Don't lead them on or give them the idea that they are in the right.

I think you'll find that I'm a very direct person. That said, I'm still the new guy, so I'm probably not going to make any broad sweeping statements about the game's business model or that sort of thing. =)
    While I'm here, if you're going to be working on the doff system... any chance we could see Risian duty officers? Risa's part of the federation and their people haven't exactly been contributing to Starfleet or the war effort.

Interesting suggestion. Borticus has been working on making more of the actual DOFFs lately (I was more involved in the DS9 ones), but I'll pass this suggestion off to him. That said, there may be a reason why someone consciously chose not to put in Risan DOFFs. I'll talk to Borticus - he'll have a better idea about it.
  • dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    * sees Archon and no one else* that explains it, Only Archon exists.. the rest.. are now myths and have disappeared into Lore. As he is the only one who has stepped forward to say hi :P
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
  • poisonpoison Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Interesting suggestion. Borticus has been working on making more of the actual DOFFs lately (I was more involved in the DS9 ones), but I'll pass this suggestion off to him. That said, there may be a reason why someone consciously chose not to put in Risan DOFFs. I'll talk to Borticus - he'll have a better idea about it.

Sooo.... Thomas has approached you about the #HortaForDOff movement right? ;) I mean, he already made the profile icons and everything....

http://www.crimsonspot.com/sto/hortafordoff.html
    jfsig02.png
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I too support #Horta4DOff, who better for the role of a rare geologist on my ships.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2012
    poison wrote: »
    Sooo.... Thomas has approached you about the #HortaForDOff movement right? ;) I mean, he already made the profile icons and everything....

http://www.crimsonspot.com/sto/hortafordoff.html

I have a plan. I can't guarantee that I'll be given clearance to follow up on it, though. ;)
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • poisonpoison Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have a plan. I can't guarantee that I'll be given clearance to follow up on it, though. ;)

Woo!

10char
    jfsig02.png
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I believe this is the newest member at Cryptic that one might meet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I
    w8xekp.jpg
  • alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited June 2012

The Horta Hat Demands it http://fav.me/d39q904
    2qTOAB3.gif