test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Repeating hamlet

captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Duty Officer System and R&D
I did the hamlet diff mission via ops and only got a success. i went back to try again for a critical and even though i can enter all the doffs and press start it says the it failed.

i cant work out why as it all seems ok and i have enough slots.

it seems like it could be on a cooldown (which makes sense considering most go into cooldown) but there does not seem to be any indication that it is. surely it should be greyed out?

the only other thing i remember is i swear the first time you needed an entertainment commodity. the second time i tried to start it, there was no requirement. i could be misremembering but perhaps the lack of option was the problem?
Post edited by captainrevo1 on

Comments

• outllawoutllaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It seems the mission initially is a one off from the description of it.

"+ Added a new Holodeck Performance of Hamlet from your ship interior Operations officer.
    .....o A critical success on the non-repeatable version of this will result in a handcrafted purple Photonic duty officer."

It may be on cool down but the chance at the Handcrafted doff is gone for you. Mine failed with the entire photonic doff list so meh.

Seems like the repeatable isn't really worth dumping the 20 hours into.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If I truly lacked empathy or a conscience I would not take time out of my day to help someone who had a less fortunate education than myself correct their gross misunderstanding of words in the English language.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thats strange its not repeatable even if its just for the cxp, even a couple of extra photonics would be nice

The Doff is not that bad, wierd thing he is a Quartermaster

William Shakespeare

Cunning
    Eidetic
    Emotional
    Resilliant
    Photonic
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    Thats strange its not repeatable even if its just for the cxp, even a couple of extra photonics would be nice

The Doff is not that bad, wierd thing he is a Quartermaster

You were expecting maybe a full master? Perhaps a master.... THESPIAN???

I guess they are figuring Will wrote and directed rather than act much himself?
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    outllaw wrote: »
    It may be on cool down but the chance at the Handcrafted doff is gone for you.

To be or not to be.
  • outllawoutllaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    To be or not to be.

The thing this forum needs the most is a Like or +1 button :biggrin::biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If I truly lacked empathy or a conscience I would not take time out of my day to help someone who had a less fortunate education than myself correct their gross misunderstanding of words in the English language.
  • llirremllirrem Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I don't understand why they felt it necessary to only give you one shot at getting the Rare Doff. Allow it to be repeatable until you get the Crit like the Colonial Support assignments. I assume it's bound.
  • stoneyfacestoneyface Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    it was said in-game by one of the devs that the mission IS repeatable. however i have not been able to find a cooldown for it.
    it was stated the the "non-repeatable" statement in the patch notes was in error
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    i did expect a real video performance or so but at least i got my Shakespeare :rolleyes:
  • ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hamlet must looks like Patrick Stewart with some hair.
    Otherwise it's big time fail. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    How many assignments have you critted on the first attempt?

I bet it's not very many.

So giving you one chance and one chance only is not a very smart idea!

I'm in favor of making this repeatable, because a one shot deal holds no interest for me.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • anagrojanewayanagrojaneway Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Basically, it sounds like they are giving you a one-time chance to get one of the DOffs from the Holonovel items.

You can still get the DOff - you just need to do it the old fashioned way (by using Holonovel Fragments).

(Insert Lockbox grumbling below)
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2012
    tilarta wrote: »
    So giving you one chance and one chance only is not a very smart idea!

I'm in favor of making this repeatable, because a one shot deal holds no interest for me.

The reason is that William Shakespeare is a Unique doff. If you could repeat it, and try and get him multiple times, the assignment would never complete on successive times through because the rewards would be unable to be granted.

We'd like to make it repeatable, but there are limitations. If we can figure out a way around them, we'll likely change it so that the repeatable version has a chance to grant the Unique Doff on Crit. No promises, though.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • mightionnymightionny Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Wait.... you only get one chance at the rare doff?

This annoys me, because even with loading it up with photonic doffs and entertainers, I failed it, and haven't seen the assignment again since.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Could there be some check to say "if you have doff X, you will not be able to start the assignment?" That way, if someone were to delete it they could still obtain it back (albeit at a 20% success rate) -- which is an issue for many other unique doffs, like those from Renowns.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    mightionny wrote: »

This annoys me, because even with loading it up with photonic doffs and entertainers, I failed it, and haven't seen the assignment again since.
    Indeed, it failed for me too. And I actually loaded a few good DOFFs in there and seemed to have a decent chance at success.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The reason is that William Shakespeare is a Unique doff. If you could repeat it, and try and get him multiple times, the assignment would never complete on successive times through because the rewards would be unable to be granted.

We'd like to make it repeatable, but there are limitations. If we can figure out a way around them, we'll likely change it so that the repeatable version has a chance to grant the Unique Doff on Crit. No promises, though.

Uh, did it not occur to you guys that having only one chance - and not a terribly good one, even with really good doffs - kinda sucks, or did you guys realize that but just didn't care? I'm honestly having trouble trying to figure out why you'd push live an assignment like that.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2012

So employ the Rulian Mazan rule then:
    I.E: You have this very unique Doff, you can't have another one.

Problem solved! :wink:

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • daedalus27daedalus27 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2012

So, you want people to spend millions of EC or hundreds of CP to get the holonovels to unlock the desired characters for a 1 shot assignment. I mean seriously, that is really screwed up and seems like a huge middle finger to doffers. It can't be that hard to lock the reward to 1 and just allow us to use it for the dil and xp bonus.

Also, it isn't a one shot deal. I was fortunate enough to crit it on the first try and was able to restart the mission again. After the next one failed it became greyed out for me.
  • captainbaldycaptainbaldy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    mightionny wrote: »

No way to offer a repeatable, and if the player already has William, grant a different, perhaps random Photonic Doff?

It just kinda sucks that I went to the trouble of getting the entire cast of Hamlet, and now can't get Willy. Not cool.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited June 2012

lol really so its only a one shot becuase u cant find away to make it one per charater or account. thats just lazy.

you could have atlest made it so that anyone who has a full set got the doff so people would have to collect the rest. ie buy more boxes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tilarta wrote: »
    So employ the Rulian Mazan rule then:
    I.E: You have this very unique Doff, you can't have another one.

Problem solved! :wink:

With that though, you only get the mission one time and you get the doff no matter what happens.

Slightly different.
    edited June 2012
    Or make it have a 3 day cooldown, like the bartending and chef chains.

That means you can do it ~1.8 times a week. At ~20% crit rate that's going to make it very slow going for people to pick up multiple Shakespeares.
  • archoncrypticarchoncryptic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I believe I've identified the problem that was causing the assignment to work this way, and I've changed the functionality a bit.

Here's how it should be working now:

There are two versions of the assignment. Assignment "A" rewards Shakespeare on a Critical Success. This is repeatable until you get Shakespeare, but I've added a cooldown to the assignment, as some of you have suggested.

Once you get Shakespeare, assignment "B" unlocks, and you can no longer do "A". Assignment "B" has different Critical rewards.

This change should be in Soon (TM).
    edited June 2012
    I believe I've identified the problem that was causing the assignment to work this way, and I've changed the functionality a bit.

There are two versions of the assignment. Assignment "A" rewards Shakespeare on a Critical Success. This is repeatable until you get Shakespeare, but I've added a cooldown to the assignment, as some of you have suggested.

Once you get Shakespeare, assignment "B" unlocks, and you can no longer do "A". Assignment "B" has different Critical rewards.

Thank you! :biggrin:
  • soleonesoleone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well, I was able to repeat Hamlet 3 times - now it is failing.

1. Time crit -> got my Shakespeare
    2. Time crit -> got a prurple female Orion Entertainment Hologram
    3. Time -> Idk what happend
    4. failed to start
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012

thank you.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Good news, I definitely want my Shakespeare quatermaster ! :biggrin:

Thanks a lot.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Sounds good to me!

Thanks, Archon!
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Are these changes live? Or come with next update? Or perhaps soon (tm)?
    edited June 2012
    soleone wrote: »
    Well, I was able to repeat Hamlet 3 times - now it is failing.

1. Time crit -> got my Shakespeare
    2. Time crit -> got a prurple female Orion Entertainment Hologram
    3. Time -> Idk what happend
    4. failed to start

Interesting. I have an idea of why that might be happening, but I'm not 100% certain. I'll look at it.
    Are these changes live? Or come with next update? Or perhaps soon (tm)?

Soon (TM). =D