test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Fleet System Feedback Thread

Comments

• salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2012
    Loving Season 6 so far and looking forard to completing the cooldown to see more of the starbases.

A few things I have noticed/would like to see changed if possible:
    • Can the Fleet Bank be tied into Fleet UI when providing items?
    • Can we have a slider to select which amount we wish to provide for items like Partical Traces, Data Samples and other items where only one item can be submitted at a time?
    • Can we have the ability to tick which Duty Officers are to be provided?
    • Can you please fix it where you beam out of the Starbase direct into Sector space instead of to the Starbase exterior?
    • Can you please fix it so that the Councellor has not lost her legs in the floor?
    • There was a bug on the large 15 person mission where I could not fight any ememies and at the end of it got rewarded -15 merits :(

That's all that I have noticed.

Good work Devs.

I'll answer these SORT OF in line. I can answer some of them together :)

1. The problem with the fleet bank tab being added is that the individual that donates from the bank earns the fleet credit, not the fleet as a whole. We feel this will become too tempting of a target for theft if we do this.

2. We discussed having a slider/ticker for particle traces and doffs but were concerned about people accidentally over spending. Unlike the other contribution items these are usually rarer or more valuable so we wanted to prevent people from over contributing. If the requests continue to roll in its something we could consider.

3. Beaming out of your interior can definitely be addressed. I'll talk to the design team.

4. I'll talk to the art team about addressing the costume/clipping issue you mentioned.

5. That issue has been coming up a lot lately. We'll look into the faction gating for all of our new fleet queues to make sure its working correctly. Also, you should never "earn" negative fleet marks!

Thanks for the feedback!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Are there any ways for solo players to earn Fleet Marks? I have heard of the converting Commendation XP to Fleet Marks for any CXP above 100k, but I could not find where it was. So either it is coming in a future patch or I was not looking at the right places.

For some of these solo and small fleets that don't team or rarely team, then earning Fleet Marks will be very difficult or impossible if only 5 man+ events give out Fleet Marks. Also, with the commendation system, then people just starting out with their fleet and don't team have no way to earn Fleet Marks until they have got to Tier IV on a commendation.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have a 1 man Fleet (Just Me) with my Klingon toon. But when I log into Tribble it says that I'm not in a fleet and therefore can't access the fleet base system or Fleet UI.

Is it intended that 1 man Fleets can't test? Or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance! ;)

EDIT: Nevermind. Someone ingame was kind enough to tell me that My Holodeck Fleet doesn't exist on Tribble. Learn something new everyday lol ;)
    edited June 2012
    starkaos wrote: »
    Are there any ways for solo players to earn Fleet Marks? I have heard of the converting Commendation XP to Fleet Marks for any CXP above 100k, but I could not find where it was. So either it is coming in a future patch or I was not looking at the right places.

For some of these solo and small fleets that don't team or rarely team, then earning Fleet Marks will be very difficult or impossible if only 5 man+ events give out Fleet Marks. Also, with the commendation system, then people just starting out with their fleet and don't team have no way to earn Fleet Marks until they have got to Tier IV on a commendation.

Solo players can earn fleet marks in a variety of ways. If you are referring to solo and by yourself the only current way planned is to run a starbase daily. These have not been released yet but it will be a fast way for a single player to earn a small amount of Fleet Marks. I'm not sure if the conversion system made it in before Heretic left, but I knew it was in discussion.

Now, as a solo player you can join any queue and play the fleet content with a random team to earn fleet marks as well, though I don't know if that's what youre after. This way is just as viable as playing only with fleeties.
    edited June 2012
    I have a 1 man Fleet (Just Me) with my Klingon toon. But when I log into Tribble it says that I'm not in a fleet and therefore can't access the fleet base system or Fleet UI.

Is it intended that 1 man Fleets can't test? Or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Your fleet on holodeck does not exist on tribble. You have to make a new fleet on tribble to test.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Your fleet on holodeck does not exist on tribble. You have to make a new fleet on tribble to test.

Someone ingame beat you to it in answering the same. Thanks though! ;)
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Solo players can earn fleet marks in a variety of ways. If you are referring to solo and by yourself the only current way planned is to run a starbase daily. These have not been released yet but it will be a fast way for a single player to earn a small amount of Fleet Marks. I'm not sure if the conversion system made it in before Heretic left, but I knew it was in discussion.

Now, as a solo player you can join any queue and play the fleet content with a random team to earn fleet marks as well, though I don't know if that's what youre after. This way is just as viable as playing only with fleeties.

My follow up question to this is there anything solo (non-fleeted) players can buy with these fleet marks they can earn?
  • mattmurdocknzmattmurdocknz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This was briefly touched on before, but why can't starbase upgrades scale in cost depending on the size of the fleet?

I.e level 1 upgrade for a fleet with 100 members would be 10x larger than for a fleet with 10 members. Could be done easily by breaking fleets down into tiny (less than 10), small (less than 50), medium (less than 150) or large (150+).

By basing it off the fleet size it encourages fleets to keep their member bases accurate (many have hundreds of inactive members) and to encourage all members to help take part (as someone said above about not getting a chance to contribute)

Anyone else like or hate the idea?
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This was briefly touched on before, but why can't starbase upgrades scale in cost depending on the size of the fleet?

I.e level 1 upgrade for a fleet with 100 members would be 10x larger than for a fleet with 10 members. Could be done easily by breaking fleets down into tiny (less than 10), small (less than 50), medium (less than 150) or large (150+).

By basing it off the fleet size it encourages fleets to keep their member bases accurate (many have hundreds of inactive members) and to encourage all members to help take part (as someone said above about not getting a chance to contribute)

I think they have tried to address this issue by having higher tiers just being more specialized rather than strictly superior. One could also make the argument that real structures don't care how many people use them, they require the same amount of work to be built regardless.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
    edited June 2012
    sparhawk wrote: »
    My follow up question to this is there anything solo (non-fleeted) players can buy with these fleet marks they can earn?

Almost everything in the fleet store is for solo players. Fleet Advanced/Fleet Elite shields, deflectors, engines, space weapons, ground weapons, ships, ships, thats all for the individual player!

There are operational assets which could be considered "for the team". These are special one time use consumables items that give your team a serious boost in fleet content. From letting your starbase have feedback pulse to spawning in a wing of defients, there are a lot of cool things to use these for.
    edited June 2012

We thought of this! Besides adding multiple layers of complexity for our data setup, this system is highly exploitable. How you say? A huge fleet would whittle itself down to the minimum population tier and level the whole thing up using the lower end cost while the non fleeted fleeties dump them resources. THEN once the fleet is powerleveled up, everyone else is invited and BOOM, T5 starbase on the cheap.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I would like to point out some issues with Bridge Officer Skill Points provided for specific fleet projects. The problem is, they reward way too many Fleet Credits.

I've managed to provide full 12,050 boff sp for two projects in Cryptics Tribbles fleet and by doing so I've jumped "from zero" to as high as to the second place on the fleet's leaderboard, with more than 480,000 fleet credits. The rest of about 15,000 was obtained through other resources I provided, such as commodities, fleet marks, doffs etc.

I think you do see the issue here? One boff skill point rewards 20 fleet credits and one person can supply the whole project requirement, thus gaining an enormous amount of credits in a matter of seconds, while the rest of the fleet has to provide other, way more valuable items/services, which reward very little credits in comparison.

This may be a potential exploit if not taken care of. First off, there should be some limit as to how much of a given item/commodity/skill one character can provide in a specific time period (as in, max 1/4 of the project's requirement every 30min). Second, the amount of FC rewarded for a single boff sp should be reduced, or other rewards should be adjusted accordingly.

If no such precaution system is going to be implemented, people may start to abuse the idea and'll create new fleets just to get some easy Fleet Credits (potential exploit). As such, the starting fleet projects should not reward such huge amounts of FCs, or should have their requirements changed to include something other than boff sp.
    PyKDqad.jpg
    edited June 2012
    Almost everything in the fleet store is for solo players. Fleet Advanced/Fleet Elite shields, deflectors, engines, space weapons, ground weapons, ships, ships, thats all for the individual player!

There are operational assets which could be considered "for the team". These are special one time use consumables items that give your team a serious boost in fleet content. From letting your starbase have feedback pulse to spawning in a wing of defients, there are a lot of cool things to use these for.

Thanks. Apparently I entirely misunderstood this as I thought fleet stores were tied to fleet members only and that they were fleet specific. I probably won't be able to try any of this for myself for a few days so I'm going strictly off what I've been reading on the forums at the moment.
  • rehpicrehpic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    4) assigning data samples is a but dull. you can only do one at a time and its a bit of a mission to keep adding them. can we add them in blocks of 5 or 10? also it does not show how many you have when you enter them. while not critical it might be nice to see what you own before you give it up?

Any donation that can be one of several distinct items, such as data samples or duty officers we chose to require that they be donated one at a time. The reason we don't implement a bulk donation for those items is that the player may value some matching items more than others, so we need to give the player full control over which items they donate.
    5) as im not a fleet leader i cant tell, but please make sure people cant accidentally cancel fleet projects with one wrong click. its quite easy to accidentally cancel a doff assignment and nobody wants to lose weeks of work. there needs to be a couple of checks if you wnat to cancel.

We do not allow you to cancel projects. Since we can't return donated items for various reasons, canceling would have to result in all previously donated items for the project being lost. Rather than open up the griefing potential of cancelling projects, we decided to not allow canceling.
    Lead Programmer: Neverwinter
    edited June 2012
    mrmicky21 wrote: »
    I think one of the problems that is going to grow, especially with larger fleets is the the amount of materials requested to proceed, I believe the requests are too low, there are allot of people already stocking up on stuff and people will be able to just fill out everything, not giving a chance to other people who might be in a different timezone and not as rich as others to be able to contribute

I think the requests to proceed need to be much larger so it give everyone a chance to contribute, even when in a different time zone, this way they wont be filled out by a couple of rich folk in a single fleet...

Higher tiers are much more expensive. The upgrade and featured projects are also much more expensive. We expect there will be something you can contribute most of the time because of these more expensive projects (in particular the Featured projects), but if it is not good enough we can tweak the numbers.
    edited June 2012
    Can the Fleet Bank be tied into Fleet UI when providing items?

Sorry, but that is not really practical due to the way our database is organized. Fleet bank and Account Shared bank are on different database objects than the player(and their personal inventory and bank). Transactions that pull items from inventory for donations or crafting only operate on the player objects. Adding additional objects to the transaction would make them slower, causing more load (and lag) on the server.
    edited June 2012
    I think the Fleet Credit Rewards for BOFF points is broken.

It says give 10,000 points, and it gives you 200,000 Fleet Credits.

Which compared to all other contributions, giving you like 100-300 Fleet Credits, this seems a little unbalanced. Given especially how common BOFF points are for people who have been on the level cap a while. On most of my characters I have well into the millions.

EDIT: I really miss my old forum account. Can I just say that?

Boff skill points are currently rewarding about 20x too much. We will address this before launch.
  • captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    suaveks wrote: »
    This may be a potential exploit if not taken care of. First off, there should be some limit as to how much of a given item/commodity/skill one character can provide in a specific time period (as in, max 1/4 of the project's requirement every 30min). Second, the amount of FC rewarded for a single boff sp should be reduced, or other rewards should be adjusted accordingly.

I definetely agree with that. And I think the limitation should not go only for BOff SP, but for all resources. It would give everyone the chance to contribute. I know. High tiers are more demanding. So a limitation like this could be put in place just for the less demanding projects, perhaps?
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
    edited June 2012
    latinumbar wrote: »
    2) The UI could use a little improvement. The description of the projects get cut off in mid-sentence.

There is an arrow on the UI that expands the text so you can see all of it. We are currently reviewing a modified design that shows all the text all the time.
    3) Be nice if there was a way to see how much cooldown there is on each project.

I'll submit a bug report to add that.
    5) Rewards are a bit unbalanced with the 'Special' projects. Or maybe it is unclear what you get or unlock by doing them. The regular projects at tier 0 give 1000 military/eng/sci FXP. Requires 180 fleet marks. The Special only gives 80 FXP to each track and requires 600 fleet marks? Why would we spend resources on this project?

This is by design. We don't want the Featured projects to be the main way you level up your starbase. They are mainly to unlock special rewards and as a way to earn fleet credits when all of the standard project slots are fully donated and counting down their completion timers.
    6) What is the difference between FXP and track specific FXP (milit/eng/sci)? Or IS there a difference? Tier 1 base unlocks at 1000 FXP. But tier 1 military unlocks at 10,000 Military FXP. As far as I can see, there are no projects that give just general FXP as a reward. They all give track specific FXP. I'm sure we'll eventually figure it out, but be nice to something on the UI to explain it.

I believe you get 1000 FXP each time you complete a tier upgrade on a track. So when you do the military tier 1 (shipyard) upgrade project, you will get 1000 FXP, which would then allow you to upgrade the starbase.
    edited June 2012

It leads to exploitative behavior such as kicking everyone out of the fleet, ranking it up, and then adding them back in. The countermeasures for that make everything more complicated.
    edited June 2012
    And I just realized that Salami Inferno already answered most of the same questions I did. I guess you all get to see the production and technical views on all the answers. :-)
    edited June 2012
    rehpic wrote: »
    And I just realized that Salami Inferno already answered most of the same questions I did. I guess you all get to see the production and technical views on all the answers. :-)

That's fine, I find it interesting myself.
  • moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Are you updating the original post with known issues?
    1. Boff XP contributions are way out of line compared with others. 1 boff XP = 2 fleet credits.
    2. KDF overhead map does not show all parts of the map, many dark areas instead of corridors.
    3. KDF elevator action buttons are not visible if you are right next to the elevator - you need to step back a few steps for them to appear. Also, no clear marker that this door takes you anywhere - maybe a sign overhead?
    4. KDF did not see a mail, exchange or bank vendor, would like a "sorry this feature is not available under construction" like the other contacts so we know where it will eventually be.
    5. There was some confusion as to which queues reward fleet marks. Will, for example, Federation Minefield also reward fleet marks? If not, it should receive a different designator.
    6. LIKE - Like being able to contribute to fleet projects anywhere instead of only while on starbase, that was a good choice.
  • obiwanjabroniobiwanjabroni Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I know it has been covered already, but I really don't think there's a good reason not to have a slider for Data Sample contributions. Duty Officers, sure. However, when we have hundreds of Data Samples and a project takes hundreds of Data Samples and we want to contribute... it takes forever and is quite a PITA.

Also, one of the Fed military projects requires "Tud'oj" fighters. I had to hop on my KDF, buy the fighters (although they're spelled correctly KDF-side), mail them to myself, and claim them on my Fed toon to contribute them.

When is the Zen store going to be updated? There's really no good way to progress in projects that require Federation Flight Deck Officers internal to Tribble. We had to have a fleetie who had them on Holodeck copy a couple toons over to Tribble to advance that. Not directly relating to the system I know, but similar issues could cause playtesting hiccups down the line, especially if we can't cancel projects (good call on that, by the way).
    sig_universal.png
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    For someone who has a full collection of 400 purple and blue doffs it will be a pain in the ...to delete few doffs just to make room for white and green doffs.

I don't know if other colours will be needed after tier 2 .
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Some things i would like to see, if you dont mind the suggestion (and some of these may even be possible already as we dont know the full extent of the system).

Doffing on your starbase. It would be nice if there are a series of special assignments that can only be done on your starbase. They still give normal xp rewards but the main prize is that they go towards improving starbases. perhaps giving temp defence buffs or reduce development time on projects by a certain percentage. just general advantages to the starbase.

the advantages would be technically very minor as potentially there could be hundreds of people doffing there, but they could become quite substantial if enough people do it.

some could be trade missions that occur on your starbase or throughout sector space. these could set up trade routes that bring in a certain amount of EC, commodities, data samples every week. the more people commit their doffs to these long assignments the more revenue the starbase brings in. there could even be attacks so to speak on the trade lanes and other doffs would need to be sent to protect them.

I also think that the asteroid mining should be in some way incorporated into the whole thing. Perhaps there are permanent asteroids that can be mined 24/7. they wont provide dilithium as such but they would provide an ore that the starbase can use to make improvements. this could be done via the system we have now or by a new shipboard mini game as well. im sure there are a few people that would be happy to spend their days mining away.

i think this would be a good way to get people to be more active in and around the base. at the moment all players really do is add resources and watch the timer tick down. while all players see the benefits, its a little more fun for the fleet leaders as they at least pick the objective. this way all players can feel like they are 'playing the system' so to speak and not just by dumping resources into it.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Played around with the Fleet System and my Fleet a bit (Jupiter Force is really GAMING that system already :) ).

My personal Conclusion:

Fleetbase System feels like EBAY

You stare for 20 hrs at a timer to finish (ebay!)
    Timer is over, project is complete.
    Now it takes the Fleet a whole 5 seconds and the item inputs are made (ebay! making your bid in the last 5 seconds of an auction to "snipe" it 3... 2... 1... MINE! ).
    then you are starring at a timer again for hours...

That is the same thing as sniping for EBAY items in the last 5 seconds.

Since this is the only way to get any Fleetcredit, i think BAD UI SYSTEM.

-> this will produce DRAMA in badly managed fleets, this will get Fleetmembers kicked who don't follow the internal *fleetbase management rules*.
    (the bigger the fleet, the harder to manage)

Everybody needs a chance to contribute, one that is bigger than a 5 second window!

My suggestion:

display the 4 Active Projects as you do now.

below that, display the next 4 Projects that are in the queue.

Let the Fleetmembers put in their inputs (before the last project is finished), let us input MORE than the inputs that are required!

example:
    2000 dilithium are required
    Player A contributes 2000 dilithium
    Player B contributes 500 dilitihum
    Player C contributes 1500 dilitihum
    Player D contributes 800 dilitihum

When the Project becomes active the System takes 500 of every Player, and RETURNS the rest, either to inventory/overflow bag or by mail.
    That would turn a 5 second window into a 20 hr window, nobody could complain if they don't make a contribution in 20 hours!

That would be FAIR for everyone,
    your System currently gives the most Fleetcredit to professional ebay snipers.

Fun for the whole Fleet?
    I think not... :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • calexistacalexista Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    For provisioning fleet projects it would be nice if we had the slider available for particle traces and data samples.

I have to agree with this or even if there were buttons that allowed you to choose 1/5/10/25 so that you don't have to go through clicking it 250+ times for the samples if the slider isn't feasible.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's great that we get to have a look at this before release.

Wow, the project costs just hit me today; 1500 provision, 125 Colonists, 180 fleet marks, etc. No way a 1-man fleet is going to be able to fund these continuously or easily, which I understand and can appreciate. I'm ok with this, good to know up front at least. Looks like I am now looking for a fleet! (UTC+10 timezone :biggrin:)
  • suburbanz71suburbanz71 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I was really hoping on that the Fleet Base would have a Fleet Leader's Office space kind of what Admiral Quinn has on ESD. There is no mention of one later in the info of the different Tiers of the base either. Could you Devs consider putting in a Fleet Admirals Leader Office. I want my Fish Tank beside my desk. I'll pay for it.......
    Other then that the Fleet Base looks great, I like the different lvls, lots of space, thank god its better then the Captain's Table, but we wont get in to that why no one wants to use it.
    Thanks.
    U.S.S. HONDA ODYSSEY NCC-170001-F-Odyssey Class
    Commanding Officer: Vice Admiral Maximus@blueamdgamer
    Dedication Plaque: "By Any Means Necessary" -Malcolm X