test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server Not Responding and Gameserver timeouts..

Comments

• miloguyaussiemiloguyaussie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i logged out to go and start a foundry,
    i cant even get to the log in screen now ,says its timed out
    I havent changed a thing!!!

cantloggin.jpg
    Milo Knight -Star fleet Engineer

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voldaunitvoldaunit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is the old problem returning to haunt, and I have just spent the day with my ISP trying to figure it out.

Windows, it turns out, is not the happiest camper with regard to networking, and lots of things can tear it off a network. I ran the game to check on a work Mac using Wine and it runs fine - the two PCs I use (work and home) are the main problem.

The only solution I can find is to keep the Network and Sharing panel open and if I detect any lag or freeze immediately restart the networking connections and boot my modem, since the game has crashed both my networking card and my cable modem at home / ethernet box at work.

Now, obviously the solution is for the offending networking actions by the game to be stopped, but in the meantime I think the solution could be as easy as running a script beside the game that would detect the offending behavior by STO and immediately move to fix the network connection, while at the same time making the server and application a little more forgiving about releasing the expected connection, giving it up to a minute to return and resume.
  • drspock666drspock666 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Tried logging in now 5 times and getting the same sever timed out but 15 mins ago ilet me get past that part to put in a code or som<ething but now i have the code to login but wont even let me get to my char screen whats going on ?

DRSPOCK666
  • omeisaurusomeisaurus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    After several hours of patching i manage to get the game running, i did some menial task played for 20 min and then i got disconnected during the vault event, then i encounter a timeout /connecting that couldnt be resolved even if i tried to enter several times, i gave up for today. Please attend this issues.
    edited August 2012
    i had no problems this afternoon, australian time
    but logged out to go to the foundry and thats when i got the trouble
    even though i had been in the foundry earlier today..

i even rebooted the modem to see if that would help.. :confused:

oh just tried again and got a version mismatch wtf does that mean??

now its closed for maintenance ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    seems to be ok for now... :o

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikediggermikedigger Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I started to play 3 month ago on the Fed side, I had all the same problems, login trouble, bad lag during game play, escpecially pvp and stf's" thought my internet was not good enough, turns out it must be something else all together, i play now kilingon character ( on the same account) without having any lag in pvp or missions, the moment i use my fed character iget " server disconneted" and bad lag
  • x54322x54322 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So I see alot of people have this problem but I dont see a fix. IS there a fix yet or not?
  • apocistapocist Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is a strange 'bug' networking issue.

I believe the issue a client side problem for this one reason:

My wired PC can run the game perfectly, yet when I try to play on my wireless laptop, I am plaqued by the constant disconnects.
  • detsuo225detsuo225 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My best guess is that it is a combination. Several people i have talked to swear they have no problem and yet several more do. I have been doing endless amounts of research on any possible fix however i am not turning out any real results.

Some people can change their launcher options to help by

Turning on force verify
    Seems to help a little maybe?
    using a proxy server
    no discernible difference
    turning off patch on demand
    Launcher sticks on "Patching"
    or editing their game video settings
    no discernible difference

I am currently in contact with tech support but i haven't yet gotten to far.
  • skytexskytex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same issue here. I keep getting "server not responding" usually 30-60 seconds worth, then the game stutters forward to catch up then freezes again. Sometimes I can log out and back in and it fixes it for 15-20 minutes, sometimes i just can't log back in. It'll stick on retrieving maps or loading the map for whereever i logged off. I've even tried switching between esd/ds9/fleet base thinking maybe population was an issue. Fleet base stays practically abandoned so I know that's not it. Been doing this afew days now. Sure hope cryptic is looking into it. Wish they'd give a little feedback here to assure us.
    edited September 2012
    Well i got a reply from tech support and they told me to do what i said i had already done and i told them that didn't work and now it has been over 24 hours since then and they arnt replying to me anymore. i will continue to send stuff in the hopes that they wont ignore me forever since im paying for this game,.
  • xringox1xringox1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Nice... its been really frustrating i dont know about any one else but the problem started for me on labor day. I figured hey alot of people may just be on but still till this day i can not even log on or if i do i cannot load a map with out getting booted... it would be nice if cyptic or whomever else give us a reply saying they have problems and an estimate of when repairs would be done.
  • kommissarwhode#7204 kommissarwhode Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Since the last patch, hundreds if not thousands of people are having poor connection to STO's servers. The message 'server not responding' and inevitable drops are occurring constantly, for a great number of people. This is not a generalization. I used to manage an internet service, I've been talking shop with my ISP. Ping tests to various places in the country show decent ms rates with my connection. Other games work fine. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not work. All the tips on the forum and troubleshooting do not work. This is STO's problem. What may promt them into action is the following reminder:

SOME OF US HAVE PUT TONS OF MONEY INTO YOUR 'FREE TO PLAY' GAME, AND STAR TREK JUST HAD IT'S 46TH ANNIVERSARY. YOU SHOULD CARE, YOU SHOULD BE RESPONDIG TO THESE COMPLAINTS, AND YOU SHOULD BE WORKING VERY HARD TO FIX YOUR SERVER-TO-CLIENT ISSUES.

Perhaps if players started pushing this information to 'the powers that be' who hold their licensing agreements, a solution may suddenly appear.

STO, do we as the players need to do this?

It is in your hands. You are losing players and revenue to this. Fix it, please.
  • wizdom833wizdom833 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I normally have absolutely NO issues with connection etc even with a ton of other programs running and FB Email etc on another screen. But today I am getting server disconnect, server lag to other maps etc. and not explaination from anyone or STO in general.

I did all the necessary steps, checked internets speed which were awesome, system resources were very low, I shut everything down except STO, checked Task Manager (All Users) and nothing running as well as network usage and hardly anything happening. This is Cryptic/Perfect World but no information anywhere!

What is going on!!!!!

I pay monthly for this and I should be able to get support somehow somewhere for this but no matter what there is nothing from STO!!!
    edited September 2012
    Ok i just got my second reply from STO tech support though sadly the reply was a bit non sensicle to me...

I posted
    Ok so i spent the better part of the night researching and testing and i managed to log back in but i have a host of issues all seemingly connection based from server disconnects and timeouts to login issues and patching issues.

From my research i can see that hords of people have the same problem but no solution. So far i have tried force verify, proxy server and am currently trying the patching option you mentioned. but no luck yet. is there any information i can give you that will help with the
    diagnosis?

to which they replied

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience you are having with our game.

To investigate this issue, we are asking for more information from our users. Please answer the following questions:

1) Does this happen on every character?
    2) Where was your character the last time you were able to log in and what were you doing in-game?
    3) What server is the issue occurring with?

This issue may be due to the amount of users on our servers, and it is randomly kicking off players.
    One suggestion that has worked by a user is to change the proxy server (preferably to US). Please try this.

Regards,

The Perfect World Tech Support Team

This saddens me sense they ask what server i play on and there is only one other than tribble test..

they also recommend i try things to fix the problem that i told them i had already tried in my question.. its like they didn't even read it.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In a thread in the "Gameplay Bugs" subforum about this issue, people have been posting their ISP and location. There may be a pattern. So far, people who have this issue have reported that their ISP is Time Warner and that they are located in either Texas or Southern California.

See here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=382861
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • angelousdesirvangelousdesirv Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    im sorry guys but i saw a long time ago That MMOs were a huge waste of time......

ANY GAME THAT REQUIRES AN INTERNET CONNECTION IN ORDER TO PLAY
    (WHICH NOWADAYS ARE MOST OF ALL PC GAMES) IS SUCH A LET DOWN IN MY EYES OF GAMING

YES ITS NICE TO "PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLE" BUT WHEN YOU HAVE COMPANIES LIKE THIS WHO TRIBBLE UP AND CAN'T MAKE THE CUSTOMERS HAPPY THEN WHY BOTHER.....

that said, i dont play mmos for this reason nor waste my money on "ohhhh.....new uniforms"
    i waste my money on GOOD games and GOOD functionality And sometimes good storylines

The only reason i even bother with this game is becuase i am a fan of the idea
    but yes i too have thisa same issuse with server not connecting properly and well
    i think i will have to put this game back on the shelf Again...
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    frtoaster wrote: »
    In a thread in the "Gameplay Bugs" subforum about this issue, people have been posting their ISP and location. There may be a pattern. So far, people who have this issue have reported that their ISP is Time Warner and that they are located in either Texas or Southern California.

See here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=382861

Very interesting, since I'm on Time Warner as well and having the same issues. Frustrating.

Guess I'll play something else until this gets resolved.
  • supernaut93supernaut93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I too am a Time Warner customer out of the Austin Area in Texas.

I have been having server issues for some time. Tried the Proxy fix they suggested in these forums and it worked for a time.

Here is my Trace Route (using Ping Plotter). My overall is fine, so it shouldn't be causing the connection issues.

Target Name: patchserver.crypticstudios.com
    IP: 208.95.185.41
    Date/Time: 9/11/2012 12:45:38 PM to 9/11/2012 12:46:23 PM

1 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
    [192.168.1.1]

2 7 ms 9 ms 18 ms 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms 8 ms
    [10.239.53.1]

3 8 ms 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 9 ms
    tge7-4.austtxm-er02.texas.rr.com [66.68.1.149]

4 20 ms 26 ms 17 ms 26 ms 20 ms 22 ms 33 ms 22 ms 22 ms 26 ms
    tge0-10-0-13.austtxrdcsc-cr01.texas.rr.com [66.68.5.75]

5 19 ms 17 ms 24 ms 18 ms 20 ms 21 ms 24 ms 21 ms 21 ms 17 ms
    agg22.hstntxl3-cr01.texas.rr.com [24.175.41.48]

6 15 ms 29 ms 20 ms 22 ms 16 ms 17 ms 20 ms 17 ms 25 ms 21 ms
    ae-4-0.cr0.hou30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.54]

7 22 ms 20 ms 19 ms 20 ms 22 ms 19 ms 25 ms 22 ms 19 ms 23 ms
    ae-0-0.pr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.181]

8 169 ms 17 ms 44 ms 19 ms 101 ms 224 ms 384 ms 154 ms 17 ms 28 ms
    te9-4.ccr01.dfw03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.49]

9 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms 22 ms 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms
    te0-1-0-4.ccr21.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.65]

10 32 ms 31 ms 29 ms 29 ms 30 ms 31 ms 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms 31 ms
    te0-3-0-0.mpd21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.3.18]

11 43 ms 39 ms 54 ms 39 ms 40 ms 39 ms 40 ms 49 ms 39 ms 41 ms
    te0-4-0-3.mpd21.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.30.169]

12 62 ms 64 ms 62 ms 64 ms 63 ms 62 ms 62 ms 63 ms 62 ms 64 ms
    te0-0-0-5.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.28.114]

13 62 ms 64 ms 205 ms 383 ms 66 ms 64 ms 62 ms 65 ms 62 ms 63 ms
    te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42]

14 68 ms 62 ms 60 ms 74 ms 65 ms 63 ms 62 ms 74 ms 70 ms 63 ms
    [38.111.40.114]

15 60 ms 63 ms 60 ms 61 ms 60 ms 61 ms 65 ms 75 ms 60 ms 60 ms
    [208.95.185.41]

Ping statistics for patchserver.crypticstudios.com
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0.0%)
    Round Trip Times: Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 75ms, Average = 62ms
  • vinsin4vinsin4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well i been playing for the last 12 hours and it was working perfectly now its starts up again :confused:
  • venkintovenkinto Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same constant disconnects here. Austin Texas. Time Warner customer :mad:
  • ironeagledefenseironeagledefense Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    venkinto wrote: »
    Same constant disconnects here. Austin Texas. Time Warner customer :mad:

Same here but Dallas . I started a thread and it was moved here from gameplay bugs, Sonsidered it a Cryptic problem not a "My end" problem.
  • captainpuck1captainpuck1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same problems I cant play at all. El paso Texas Time Warner Cable :mad:
  • luccroluccro Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ?to je sa ovim jebenim serverom.Odjednom me izbacilo i nemogu se logirati vi?e.Pomalo mi ide na nerve.Pozdrav iz Hrvatske svim igračima.
  • gnostromognostromo Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same here. Constant disconnects in CO, and STO is so bad I can't even patch the game. Dallas resident, Time Warner customer.
  • kapustickkapustick Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I wonder what the percentage of players is experiencing the constant disconnection. I've been having this problem for the past 2 weeks. I've spent about $1000 on this game in the last two months. It was a great game (and stable for me) before the server stability updates over the last few weeks.

Wonder if it is linked to Oceanic Cable. I am also a subscriber. Except in Hawaii.
  • zakknightzakknight Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, you all are doin better then me, I click the Launcher, and it says tried connect 1 time then 2 times then pulls up connection problem, that it's unable to establish connection to Patch Server. Please check your Internet Connection. If problem persist, please contact Technical Support. Yea, like they are gonna have any answer for me on this matter. My wife's gonna be P.O'd cuz i spent money to renew our internet, so i could play STO, lol. Guess I'll grab my pillow and sleep on the couch tonight.
  • trekkerspiketrekkerspike Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I found the solution when your launcher loads up click on options in the upper right hand corner. Now click on Disable On-demand-Patching. then log in. Now it may stall so if that happens click on cancel and then click patch again.

How messed up is that? You have to disable on-demand-patching to patch the game. So what has been happening the whole time is the game was trying to patch a 4GB while you were trying to login instead of pausing the launcher to patch first.
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I too am a Time Warner customer out of the Austin Area in Texas.

I have been having server issues for some time. Tried the Proxy fix they suggested in these forums and it worked for a time.

Here is my Trace Route (using Ping Plotter). My overall is fine, so it shouldn't be causing the connection issues.

*snip*

atlas.cogentco.com <~that series of hops/hubs is showing losses in large packet transfers, not something traceroute or pings use. so while it looks good, once you start getting large packets from mmo's, things go south quickly.

cryptic/pwe aren't the only ones affected. every mmo that passes through that series of routers has issues with dc's and lag. unfortunately up to cogent and/or time-warner to fix. and since time-warner is also in the mmo business...anything they can do to TRIBBLE up the competition i bet they will.

ah yes, direct competition soon...neverwinter will be the second D&D mmo...the first is DDO...owned by guess who?
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.