Install Arc
Options

"Star Trek Online dev not concerned with losing global playability..."

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Lukas2409 wrote:
    I can't wait for this game to get shut down, be it via a legal issue regarding these stupid boxes, or PWE deciding it's not worth it continuing.

Shut the game down but please, please, please, leave the forums open ;)

Most fun I have had with STO since, well since I first bought it :)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    kimmera wrote:
    If it does not work, it is effectively disabled. I am not sure the distinction...
    Air-to-ground attack disabled: the player attacks the mob but the server realizes that the mob has no ground path to the player and therefor doesn't apply the damage and also makes the mob immune to the player's attacks as long as the player has aggro from the mob.

Air-to-ground attack bugged: the player can attack and kill mobs from the air and is then warned/banned for exploiting (or - guess what - "bug using") because he didn't read some FAQ burried in the forums or wherever.

Was that really so hard to think of? And now guess which one is the correct modus operandi if you don't want your players to be able to kill mobs from the air? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    mavgeek wrote: »
    So a dual consumable is worth $1.30 USD?

Or lets go with the fact Cryptic has been on record stating they would never tell us the drop rates of items in lock boxes because the rates themselves are so low that would only make the player base even more angry?

If the loot table is that messed up, that merely telling us the drop rate would incite a riot, of sorts, is their logic then thats some real shady business.

the answer, then, would be to ignore them.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Lukas2409 wrote:
    I can't wait for this game to get shut down, be it via a legal issue regarding these stupid boxes, or PWE deciding it's not worth it continuing.

Then what in blazes are you doing here? Just here for a free chance to heckle?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    kimmera wrote:
    Good luck enforcing that. The lifetime accounts are contingent on the following clause: "We make no explicit or implicit warranties on the service period of the game."

They are not obligated to continue to provide service regardless of profitability or lack thereof.

Yes and no. Lifetime sub = lifetime of the game. If the game is still running, they have to give you access. However, in this case, it would be your government IP blocking Cryptic's server or forcing Cryptic to IP block yours preventing you from logging in. They would be legally covered denying you access at that point because whatever country's law is preventing you from playing trumps your LTS agreement.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    kimmera wrote:
    Then what in blazes are you doing here? Just here for a free chance to heckle?

No I guess it's some one that loves star Trek, but doesn't like what this game and the garbage boxes does to the idea behind Star Trek, just like me.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    just want to toss an article in here for those claiming 10% buy, seems that a recent study, would beg to differ. they say 40% will That, is a LARGE difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    gimpeline wrote:
    No I guess it's some one that loves star Trek, but doesn't like what this game and the garbage boxes does to the idea behind Star Trek, just like me.

No, he said that he can't wait for this game to die. Why is he here?

Such a disgraceful attitude with no regard to reality.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    gimpeline wrote:

If you are a Star Trek fan, why would you want the only Star Trek MMO to completely fail? Knowing full well this may be the last MMO set in the prime universe.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Chenchuan wrote: »
    ummmm..... we must be playing on different servers (lol) because all I ever see in game is constant complaints in chat. I mean for months now.

Oh, I don't mean to suggest that people aren't griping about them a lot; just that all those people are being silly. =D

Then again, maybe I am playing on a different server than everyone else, because on the one I use I've never been forced or cajoled to buy a lock box key, not even once! In fact, on the server I use, the items that come out of the lock boxes are either cosmetic or comparable in utility to items that are available directly from the C-store or direct from the shipwright; there's never been a "must-have" item in them.

Do people get this cheesed when the gas station they fill up at has lottery tickets for sale? When somebody in their neighborhood runs a raffle to fund some project or other?

Sorry... I just can't seem to shake off this damnable sense of perspective.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    @BorticusCryptic

As an employee and I might add a recent employee of Cryptic, you pretty much lose the option of making public statements about how Cryptic may or may not respond to anything or to produce conjecture about how STO will be handled. You exchanged your notoriety and public persona that you cultivated on STOked for a job at Cryptic like many other podcasters who gave cashed in on their public goods for private gain. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. Take the boon you have been granted and do your job and refrain from making public statements that could embarrass the company that gave you a chance.

@Cryptic

Any reason why he hasn't been fired yet. I am sure there are literally thousands of people who would love to have his job, are as qualified, and surely would know to keep his or her mouth shut about anything that even remotely could be interpreted as indicative of Cryptic's public policy.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    If you are a Star Trek fan, why would you want the only Star Trek MMO to completely fail? Knowing full well this may be the last MMO set in the prime universe.
    I don't know, but isn't there the saying "rather end with terror than have terror without end" or somesuch? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ok... personal attacks... NOT ok... regardless of the background.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Lepton wrote: »
    @BorticusCryptic

As an employee and I might add a recent employee of Cryptic, you pretty much lose the option of making public statements about how Cryptic may or may not respond to anything or to produce conjecture about how STO will be handled. You exchanged your notoriety and public persona that you cultivated on STOked for a job at Cryptic like many other podcasters who gave cashed in on their public goods for private gain. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. Take the boon you have been granted and do your job and refrain from making public statements that could embarrass the company that gave you a chance.

@Cryptic

Any reason why he hasn't been fired yet. I am sure there are literally thousands of people who would love to have his job, are as qualified, and surely would know to keep his or her mouth shut about anything that even remotely could be interpreted as indicative of Cryptic's public policy.

Fire him?

This isn't a big deal, I don't care about it. The only people that do are people that seemingly want STO to 'die' or hate that they can't get their fancy ship from lockboxes.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    baelturath wrote:
    I don't know, but isn't there the saying "rather end with terror than have terror without end" or somesuch? ;)

Farmville seems to do well with the latter approach :p
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Lukas2409 wrote:

Ugh. Not helping, guy.

Understand something: A Trek MMO has been our holy grail for almost two decades. If STO goes down, we will not see another Trek MMO in our lifetime. It's better to try to fix this one than to have it go belly-up.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    baelturath wrote:
    Air-to-ground attack disabled: the player attacks the mob but the server realizes that the mob has no ground path to the player and therefor doesn't apply the damage and also makes the mob immune to the player's attacks as long as the player has aggro from the mob.

Air-to-ground attack bugged: the player can attack and kill mobs from the air and is then warned/banned for exploiting (or - guess what - "bug using") because he didn't read some FAQ burried in the forums or wherever.

Was that really so hard to think of? And now guess which one is the correct modus operandi if you don't want your players to be able to kill mobs from the air? :rolleyes:

Similar is true in other games though... I know it is in EQ. If there is a 'perfectly safe' means of killing something, it is almost certainly an exploit. First offense is generally a warning, just as with PW.

They do have the kind of coding you are suggesting with respect to water... if it is under water, it is spell immune to anyone above water. The coding arguably causes more trouble than it is worth since it covers situations where mobs can hit back from the water or where it is unclear whether in or out of water. Making mobs immune to hits from elevation might well have similar problems.

The rule of thumb regarding exploiting is 'if it seems too easy, it is probably bad.' And players have been protesting that since EQ opened in 99.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Even if I don't speak for all of us, you're the first person who has defended them, in... well, EVER.

Those that don't complain about the Lock Boxes mostly ignore them. The three most common rage threads (Borg Instakills, rainbow boating, cage of fire) Have all but disappeared! The 5 most active threads are about lock boxes specifically, all of the marathon posts have it mentioned at least once. There is at least one farewell thread every day. Even look at peoples signatures!

This IS a problem and a big one too!

I like the lock boxes. Its a revenue stream to help STO live longer and that's good for me. Everything in a lock box can be picked up off the exchange and earning EC isn't that hard in this game.

I'm kinda indifferent about Lobi but that's a different subject.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Kingdox wrote: »
    I like the lock boxes. Its a revenue stream to help STO live longer and that's good for me. Everything in a lock box can be picked up off the exchange and earning EC isn't that hard in this game.
    And now imagine everyone thinks along these lines, nobody throws $500 at the boxes anymore, and nobody puts that fancy ship you want to buy for EC on the Exchange. What are you going to do then?

Just because you didn't suffer for something doesn't mean that someone else didn't suffer for it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    fauxpasiii wrote: »
    Oh, I don't mean to suggest that people aren't griping about them a lot; just that all those people are being silly. =D

Then again, maybe I am playing on a different server than everyone else, because on the one I use I've never been forced or cajoled to buy a lock box key, not even once! In fact, on the server I use, the items that come out of the lock boxes are either cosmetic or comparable in utility to items that are available directly from the C-store or direct from the shipwright; there's never been a "must-have" item in them.

Do people get this cheesed when the gas station they fill up at has lottery tickets for sale? When somebody in their neighborhood runs a raffle to fund some project or other?

Your shipwright sells Jem'Hadar attack ships, Galors and D'kora? Kudos to you for not considering them must-haves, but there are many players that do, they're the big draw.

As for not being cajoled, I disagree. Did you forget the absurd "player@player has won a Galor!" system spam messages that, for a while, couldn't be turned off? Just to let everyone know that there's good things in those boxes! The sustained barrage of lockboxes from every single mob in the game, forcing one to at least acknowledge that they exist (one still has to press 'pass' to get them out of the way, and even then there are the ugly icons floating in space and on the ground) , and that locked behind them is content otherwise inaccessible? And the lobi store with its exclusive inventory that can only be bought with a lockbox-exclusive currency? The game gives an awful lot of exposure to the things the other side of the lockbox, and ridiculously easy access to lockboxes, all in the hopes that the player will break down just that once and buy a key, just to see.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    fauxpasiii wrote: »

well...... actually........

most stores in my area have self service lotto because of all the complaints about lotto players... you know all you wanna do is pay for your Mountain dew and there is someone holding up the line painstaking choosing which scatch off is lucky, getting a dollar and buying another ticket and rinse repeating. so even if you didnt play, you had to deal with it everytime you went to the 7-11
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Lepton wrote: »
    @BorticusCryptic
    [Borticus should be fired]

@Cryptic
    [Why isn't he fired?]

Companies don't just fire people for no reason. Undoubtedly they are basing his performance on the work he does and not some comments made about him online. This isn't politics.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Kingdox wrote: »

I'm kinda indifferent about Lobi but that's a different subject.

do you think an earring is worth 10 million EC?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    most stores in my area have self service lotto because of all the complaints about lotto players...

It's objectively true that there are some silly people who will complain about things that don't really have any impact on them unless they choose for them to, I'm not disputing that. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Champions Online has had "grab bags" in their store before, but hasnt recently and most of their store items are regular purchases. There are other F2P games that have normal game store purchases as well rather than randomized purchases. As I said before, I'm not denying their total revenue would decrease. However a decrease in revenue does not mean outlawing the game itself. It would still be PW's choice whether to pick a drop in revenue or lose a country of players.

As I understand it PWE is already banned in some countries in Asia. So I guess when it comes down to it they are more than willing to lose some countries rather than risk their slimy lotto. No one has officially said as much but history seems to speak for itself.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Everything is worth what people make it to be worth...
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Solomace wrote: »
    So what I don't get is that everyone seems to think that Lock boxes are making them a ton of money.

Where is the evidence of this?

Where is the evidence that it is not making them money? They're a business. Why would they continue to do something that doesn't make money? There have been multiple dev comments about why they are not working on certain types of content because the return isn't worth the time/resource investment.

Solomace wrote: »
    All I am hearing from Cryptic and the player base is that Lock boxes are a gold mine to Cryptic.

So a company that for nearly 2 years tells us we are doing great and subs are doing well and F2P is way off, then Boomshanka, F2P is announced, no cups in the kitchen and broken computer.

The EP tells us he is playing the latest FE then Boomshanka, the new EP doesn't even know what the old EP is talking about.

The Old EP comes back and tells us the PW wants a fully fleshed KDF and a fully working PVP, Boomshanka, sorry only told you one part of the story.

Cryptic has and still does, has a proven record of lying to us at a drop of a hat to keep us around. Why do we take them at face value that lock boxes are making them a ton of money?

Didn't a dev even go into the exchange and try to buy all the gold boxes, thus effecting the economy?

These aren't the things of a company where everything is gravy...

Content is on hiatus, only 1 dev free to revamp PVP, gated future content and the foundry being pushed to make story content.

This does not sound like a company making a profit. It sounds like a tin pot company trying to survive and not doing a good job of it.

Dooomm... Yep, I said it and I really do believe it this time...

While some of what you say is technically true, you're interpretation /conclusion is a bit off. /tinfoil hat
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    baelturath wrote:
    And now imagine everyone thinks along these lines, nobody throws $500 at the boxes anymore, and nobody puts that fancy ship you want to buy for EC on the Exchange. What are you going to do then?

Just because you didn't suffer for something doesn't mean that someone else didn't suffer for it.

Um if folks stop buying lock boxes then Cryptic will stop making them and then both sides win right? Face it you're all trying to change Cryptic's mind because you know the player base will never be strong enough stop buying the boxes. You're not willing to yell at each other so you yell at Cryptic. Sry folks Cryptic is giving folks what they want, its not their fault you hate the delivery system.

More players should be like me, I've purcahsed Zero keys. I'll keep my points for account wide unlocks not the trinkets in the lock boxes.

Oh god no, I actually picked up a set yesterday for 1.2 Mil EC. I think its still a bit overpriced. But I was really curious on how they would look on my main toon. If they were in the Cstore I wouldn't have even paid 80 Cstore points for them. But at least now I know I don't need the other sets of earings.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Ok... personal attacks... NOT ok... regardless of the background.

If you are referring to my post, it is not a personal attack. BorticusCryptic well knows that there are significant restrictions on what he can and cannot say publicly about STO and his actions in the past have certainly evidenced that. However, in this case, this kind of idle public conjecture is precisely the sort of thing that he and Cryptic well know should be avoided.

As to podcasters getting jobs with the companies whose games they have devoted much time and effort to promote, this is a seemingly rampant trend within the MMO business. I'm not saying people aren't permitted to make prudent decisions as to their employment, but it seems pretty clear to me that many podcasters are hoping to parlay their public exposure and promotion of MMOs into jobs. It's a fact, not an accusation.

I can think of no less than 4 or 5 people from the very few MMO podcasts that I do listen to who have made transition to the games that they were covering. It's no accident.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I am also a person who has not purchased any keys yet does not mind the lockboxes.

Bought a ton of CP's however.
This discussion has been closed.