test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to edit appearance on KDF marauding reward boff.

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
It seems there is an unfortunate issue with the new off duty costume system, since the button is greyed out for KDF players due to them not having off duty costumes. From what I can tell, it's causing the rank 4 marauding reward boff, who only wears off duty costumes, to immediately reset its appearance when you try to make any changes to it.

Anyone else experienced this?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Resz wrote:
    It seems there is an unfortunate issue with the new off duty costume system, since the button is greyed out for KDF players due to them not having off duty costumes. From what I can tell, it's causing the rank 4 marauding reward boff, who only wears off duty costumes, to immediately reset its appearance when you try to make any changes to it.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yep I have same issue!

But it gets worse, the officer I chose was supposed to be a Science Officer with appropriate skll set.
    However when I try to allocate skill points or give her a different ability I cannot make any changes at all. :(

Another bizarre thing is now that I have assigned her to my crew she is listed as an Engineer, despite the fact she has all science skills. :eek:
    edited January 2012
    I haven't noticed the latter problem, though I might have avoided it entirely by picking an engineer myself.

What species did you choose? I'm having the costume issue with a female Andorian.
    edited January 2012
    Resz wrote:
    I haven't noticed the latter problem, though I might have avoided it entirely by picking an engineer myself.
    What species did you choose? I'm having the costume issue with a female Andorian.

Human Science Officer - Female
    edited January 2012
    ZeroIce wrote:
    Human Science Officer - Female
    Well, the only commonality between us is that we picked females. I suppose once more people having this problem start trickling in, we can better ascertain if this is a problem with the marauder boffs overall or if there are only certain ones effected.

Or, like, someone from Cryptic could give us some feedback. Whichever comes first!
    edited January 2012
    Resz wrote:
    Well, the only commonality between us is that we picked females. I suppose once more people having this problem start trickling in, we can better ascertain if this is a problem with the marauder boffs overall or if there are only certain ones effected.

Or, like, someone from Cryptic could give us some feedback. Whichever comes first!

Would be nice to get some dev feedback.

I was tempted to post the issue in the "Support > Gameplay Bugs" area but didn't want to get the "evil eye" from moderators for what they might consider as double posting. I did ticket my issue in game so maybe someone from Cryptic will eventually respond to it there. Given all the F2P stuff going on I am sure it would be a low priority issue to them, but it is annoying to have a BOff taking up a slot and be totally useless in it.
    edited January 2012
    I'll get someone in software to look into it.

If you are having an issue, could you let me know:

Your Captain's faction

Your Captain's species

Species of bridge officer that you are having problems with

Description of issue
    edited January 2012
    mhighison wrote: »

Your Captain's faction
    Your Captain's species
    Description of issue

Thanks for the reply!! :) Here's the basic info.

Your Captain's faction - KDF

Your Captain's species - Klingon

Species of bridge officer that you are having problems with - Human (Female Sci BOff)

Description of issue - Achieved Rank 4 in KDF Marauding. Received Renegade Bridge Officer as a reward. Chose Sci Officer Human Female, once assigned to crew BOff now shows as Engineer but in skills section shows as Science Officer. Unable to adjust skill points or retrain. Unable to adjust appearance at tailor in any way.
    edited January 2012

Your Captain's faction
    Your Captain's species
    Description of issue
    Fantastic, thank you!

Captain's faction: KDF (aka Team Awesome)

Captain's species: Alien female

Species of bridge officer: Andorian engineer, female

Description of issue: Received reward bridge officer for Rank 4 Marauding. Any attempts to change officer's appearance immediately snaps back to default.
    edited January 2012
    Thanks guys, top men are on it.
    edited January 2012
    Thanks guys, top men are on it.

"We have top men working on it"
    "Who?"
    "Top Men."
    - Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
    edited January 2012
    "Who?"
    "Top Men."

Let's hope it works out better here. :D
    We saw how it went there...
    edited January 2012
    Good to know its being looked at.

Now if you could just get some of the other 'specialty' BOFFs worked on.. even just to have/change commbadges.
    edited January 2012
    Your Captain's faction: KDF

Your Captain's species: Liberated Borg Klingon

Species of bridge officer that you are having problems with: Ferengi Male

Description of issue: Costume will not accept modifications.

Now....

One bizarre thing.

The costume selection includes formal wear, which is no longer part of the Federation Off-Duty costume slot. Could that be the problem? Does everyone with the bug have the Formal Wear pack?
    edited January 2012
    Does everyone with the bug have the Formal Wear pack?

No, I never got the formal wear pack.
    edited January 2012
    The costume selection includes formal wear, which is no longer part of the Federation Off-Duty costume slot. Could that be the problem? Does everyone with the bug have the Formal Wear pack?
    I do have the formal wear pack, yes. The plan was to have an Andorian setting up turrets in a cocktail dress and heels, and currently being robbed of whatever it is I expect to get out of such a scene is an absolute shame.
    edited January 2012
    Resz wrote:
    I do have the formal wear pack, yes. The plan was to have an Andorian setting up turrets in a cocktail dress and heels, and currently being robbed of whatever it is I expect to get out of such a scene is an absolute shame.

The solution may well be to simply unlock the dropdown for the Marauding BO's costume to allow both Formal Wear and Off Duty.
    edited January 2012
    "Who?"
    "Top Men."

Lol yup, our man Porkins form Star Wars.
    edited January 2012
    I cannot change my renegade bridge officer's appearance either.

KDF Faction

I am a Klingon tactical officer

My Renegade BOFF is a human tactical officer

And as I had stated before, there is no way to change his appearance or clothing whatsoever.
    edited January 2012
    I glanced at a costume save file to debug.

I think the problem all around may relate to the fact that Marauding BOs are technically all new species.

Because of the way factions work, they can't just drop an existing human into the KDF faction. They have to create a new species, a Klingon Empire Marauding Human. (I assume they specified Marauding to leave open the possibility of Klingon humans or Ferengi through other means while flagging Marauding BOs as "group unique" once that tech is installed, which may allow dismissing and reclaiming these BOs at the vendor down the road.)

What this means is that it's effectively a brand new species with copy-pasted permissions for things like traits, skills, and costume data. At present, this means that the permissions don't allow dressing up the marauding BO in a KDF uniform but also aren't properly allowing for an off-duty outfit, which was changed in the S5 code merges and is faction specific. This created issues that would not have existed if they were just allowed to wear Starfleet uniforms like their corresponding diplomatic counterparts.

All in all, I can say with some certainty that the simplest but least satisfying short term fix would be to flag these BOs to use KDF uniforms and, longterm, work on the tech to allow a costume slot dropdown that gives some BOs access to off duty costumes. (A side benefit might be that Diplomatic BOs could get Starfleet uniforms in the future and Cryptic could do cool things in the future like having MACOs with the option to wear MACO gear.) I'll also note that this does very little for non-customizable BOs like the Breen or Reman as those costumes are architecturally different, not being player costumes.

What would people think about that as a quickfix? Having Marauding BOs wear KDF uniforms for now with a longterm goal of allowing Marauding BOs to wear off-duty costumes and Diplomatic BOs to wear Starfleet uniforms?

I realize I'm speaking for Cryptic but I've intuited a lot about their engine and database architecture.
    edited January 2012
    I'll also note that, yes, the tech for expanded costume permissions does exist such as with species specific costume unlocks and the Amazon Borg. But my hunch is that it probably calls for a lot more database digging than is on the calendar right now and still runs afowl of faction permissions and duty/off-duty weirdness.

So I'm gonna continue to venture to say the simplest short term fix is to allow Marauding BOs to wear KDF uniforms for now, pending new tech and more permissions that could expand that into off-duty costumes later when that can be properly scheduled.
    edited January 2012
    Female Borg Klingon
    Trill Science officer
    Cannot edit in any sort of way uniform wise as well as body type and etc.
    edited January 2012

Your Captain's faction

Your Captain's species

Description of issue

KDF

Orion Male

"Fed" Trill Female

Cannot Edit Costume / Appearance
    edited January 2012

Your Captain's faction

Your Captain's species

Description of issue

Captain's faction: KDF

Captain's species: Liberated Borg Klingon, male

Species of bridge officer: Andorian engineer, female

Description of issue: Received reward bridge officer for Rank 4 Marauding. Any attempts to change officer's appearance immediately snaps back to default.
    edited January 2012
    I devised a bypass for this issue but it's hacker-y and Cryptic may not want it released.

My Ferengi is now wearing a tux.

If Heretic has questions on how I did it, he can ask me or consult Zero on how I did it, as I've been in touch with her and provided repro steps.

I can confirm that the roadblock is the code disallowing BOs from wearing off-duty outfits. My method bypasses that restriction and may be useful in providing a solution.
    edited January 2012
    Resz wrote:

Where's the ability to like a post
    edited January 2012

Captain's species: Female Orion Engineering Officer

Species of bridge officer: Andorian tactical, female

edited March 2012
    Just a quick update, do NOT dismiss this officer to try and reclaim it. You won't be able to, I ticketed it and got a very sadface response about it all. I JUST WANTED TO FIX MY TRILL! :(
    edited March 2012

Species of bridge officer: Human engineer, female

Description of issue: Received renegade bridge officer from Rank 4 Marauding. Unable to change officer's appearance, immediately goes back to default.
    edited March 2012
    ClaudiusDK wrote: »

Species of bridge officer: Human engineer, female

Description of issue: Received renegade bridge officer from Rank 4 Marauding. Unable to change officer's appearance, immediately goes back to default.

Exact same problem, got the female human tactical officer instead.
    edited March 2012
    What would people think about that as a quickfix? Having Marauding BOs wear KDF uniforms for now with a longterm goal of allowing Marauding BOs to wear off-duty costumes and Diplomatic BOs to wear Starfleet uniforms?
    TRIBBLE to the yes, it's ridiculous that I can't outfit officers on my own crew with my own faction's uniforms, and if it's just a simple database issue by all means, get some intern on it right now.