Install Arc
Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    BlackV7 wrote:
    Yes TOR was in an abyss in regards to development, I give you that argument (Considering the gazillion voice overs & Real Life actors they hired), but in the end it was well worth it. Its barely a month old and I am sure Bioware has more in the works - unlike Cryptic who has NO excuse since they should have focus on pleasing their current playerbase by more content ---> (They had 2 YEARS, TWO FRICKIN Years - more than enough time to fix the KDF and add a million FE)

BioWare had 6 years of development on SWToR - 6 years; plus a 150 - 300 million development budget (depending on who you believe) . <---- And in ALL that time, they coouldn't even put in a real space combat system to their game (which even SWG had.)

The one innovations was the fully cutscened/fully VOed mission content (and it's impressive.)

But compare that to STO (with and 18 month initial Dev cycle and a 25-30 million development budget); and I think you'll see Cryptic did okay with the situation they were handed. Also, for the first year, Cryptic WAS adding content. The stuff hit the fan and mission content production ground to a halt when Atari 'discontinued' and put them up for sale - AND in thne 6 months where the deal was being negotiated, Atari:

- Cut their development funding to bare operational minimum.

- Had staff leaving (because the situation was uncertain); and when a staff member left, Atari wouldn't allow the position to be backfilled.

- At that point, Cryptic decided to start the F2P conversion knowing that either way it went (assuming they didn't shut down) either Atari (after failing to sell them ) or PWE (who's every other MMO is F2P) would WANT the F2P conversion. I think the two versions of the development schedule Dan had to keep was:

1) Atari retains ownership and development funding and staffing stays were it is (at the March - August levels); so Dan had a schedule based on this.

2) PWE comes in (and in the talks pprobably gave Dan an idea of what they would do with regard to upping staffing levels and overall development budget (which was more than Atari was allowing); so Dan made a developmentr schedule based on that that probably INCLUDED some overall lost productivity in the short term; as they hired nerw people, and the existing staff had to train them and get gthem up to speed, etc.

The headache was not knowing which schedule was going to be the 'final' one going forward, and I'm sure he had to adjust both up to the day the deal went throiugh.

Still, in that time, we did get:

- A ground combat revamp
    - A graphics engine update
    - The revamped Q'O Nos First City Zone
    - The StarFleet Academy Zone
    - The Borg Space Red Alerts.

And the above was about 2 months behind schedule. So, the devs WERE working and adding to the game, just not adding new playable 'storyline missions (although IMO the space based Borg Red Alert is a 'world mission event, sio it is a form of mission content.

Now, after the deal was concluded, and since, we've gotten:

- The Doff system (and I didn't include it in the above as it wasn't finally released even to test until AFTER the acquisition; but it was being worked on since Atari 'discontinied' operations on Cryptic as well)

- The F2P client (for better or worse, it is what it is)
    - The Klingon Academy Zone
    - Lore missions at both the SFA and KA zones.

The 'Event System' that includes:
    - The Fed/KDF Mirror Event (like a Mini Fleet Action') <--- It's a new even I enjoy when it pops.
    - Tour The Universe (Not really an event I care for)
    - SFA/KA event .
    - Three Events based on existing content that just give some type of bonus for doing said content during that period.)
    - The Defera Invasion Event (another piece of what could be termed BOTH a new zone and new mission content even if I don't care for how it's gated.)

Then in prep for F2P, qwe also got:
    - I belleve Five New Fed ships (all C-Store)
    - Nine new KDF ships (all C-Store)
    - The revamped STF and STF gear rrewards system.

And for the 'seson, they did:
    - The 'Winter Event'

So, while it's ABSOLUTELY true we got no new FE series 9and I'm as bummed about that as anyone else, believe me); it's also not completely honest to claim the STO Dev team hasn't done anything new for the game in the past year. That just not accrate. People may not like the priorities (and I really woukld have liked an FE series mixed in with the above myself); but it's definitely NOT the case that the Devs have at all abandoned the game; they just added content in other areas (Including three brand new things that ARE mission content of a sort.)

As for BioWare and SWToR; again, they too have made A LOT of promioses and the one thing they've stated as 'cming soon' is a new endgame level flashpoint, and the expansion of the Legacy system. (But STO started quick too as they put the STFs out soon post release; so it this could be a case that BioWare also 'held something back' at the start to 'show' they too can expand their game. I really do hope they pull it off - BUT, the real proof will come after we see how much new content they are able to deliver to SWToR in te first year.
    ^^^
    If they can demonstrate an ability to roll out new content at the level of quality their lauch content was, and do so at a sustained and consistent pace; I'll applaud. But at this point, to claim:
    Its barely a month old and I am sure Bioware has more in the works - unlike Cryptic who has NO excuse since they should have focus on pleasing their current playerbase by more content ---> (They had 2 YEARS, TWO FRICKIN Years - more than enough time to fix the KDF and add a million FE)

and somehow believe Cryptic in two years had:
    (They had 2 YEARS, TWO FRICKIN Years - more than enough time to fix the KDF and add a million FE)

Is a bit disengenuous given BioWare had 6 years and couldn't even do a real space combat system ala SWGs in that time. Again I'm also playing SWToR - and I hope BioWare can deliver; but they've already shown their like EVERY OTHER MMO developer to date when it comes to CS; so I have to wonder if they CAN indeed keep new content flowing at a sustained rate with what they've set up (and NY new content will need a longer post production period and be more expensive than any other MMO because of the VO requirements. EA is also NOT know for having loose purse strings - they want minimum expenditure and maximum profit; and they've pulled out fast if a product doesn't achieve that paradigm; so I'd say the first year of SWToR's lifecycle could be interesting.

But so far; based on the SWToR forums and with a User metacritic scopre of 6.1 (link)

[And for comparison STO's User metacritic score is 6.0) (link)]

SWToR hasn't 'hit one out of the park' as it were just quite yet. It may, or it may not; but the usual pattern is playing itself out in that the 'true believers' think BioWare will be the ONE MMO developer that breaks the pattern of not living up to its promises; and the others who just want to hate ofon the game - and further, those of us with A LOT of MMO launches under our belt who see yet another MMO launch like all the rest and go through the SAME exact cycle which is:

- The 'Honeymoon Period' where even the mildly interested players this said new MMO will 'be the one that finally 'does it right...'

- Then when the first delay of new cvontent begin to see that hope fade but are still optomistc...

- Until more dates fade; OR they release what some feel is substandard content; or the Dev team starts to nerf something popular.

SWToR is still in the Honeymoon period. It'll be interesting to see where it's at after year one. (And I may still be playing or I may not as well; but even the casuals in my guild have characters reaching Level 30; and they haven't spacebared a thing; so the idea that SWToR would have a longer more in depth leveling process is seemingly out the window; as I have a feeling most will have one level 50 in their first month. I guess it's going to depend on how many Alts a player really wants.)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Armsman wrote: »

When you look at websites that are based around users giving a review, you are going to get a TON of people who hate a game just to hate it, maybe because its competition to their favorite title, maybe just cause it was hyped up *And lets be honest, SWTOR was hyped to HELL and back*.

So yea, Trolls and Fanboys do apply in this scenario.

I'm going to say less than half of the actual negative reviews actually played the game, and less than that played it past level ten.

Legitimate SWTOR players
    70 22.08%

Trolls
    147 46.37%

SWTOR Fans
    4 1.26%

Fans of XXXXXXX Game
    74 23.34%

none of the above
    22 6.94%
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Armsman wrote: »
    BioWare had 6 years of development on SWToR - 6 years; plus a 150 - 300 million development budget (depending on who you believe) . <---- And in ALL that time, they coouldn't even put in a real space combat system to their game (which even SWG had.)

The one innovations was the fully cutscened/fully VOed mission content (and it's impressive.)

But compare that to STO (with and 18 month initial Dev cycle and a 25-30 million development budget); and I think you'll see Cryptic did okay with the situation they were handed. Also, for the first year, Cryptic WAS adding content. The stuff hit the fan and mission content production ground to a halt when Atari 'discontinued' and put them up for sale - AND in thne 6 months where the deal was being negotiated, Atari:

- Cut their development funding to bare operational minimum.

- Had staff leaving (because the situation was uncertain); and when a staff member left, Atari wouldn't allow the position to be backfilled.

- At that point, Cryptic decided to start the F2P conversion knowing that either way it went (assuming they didn't shut down) either Atari (after failing to sell them ) or PWE (who's every other MMO is F2P) would WANT the F2P conversion. I think the two versions of the development schedule Dan had to keep was:

1) Atari retains ownership and development funding and staffing stays were it is (at the March - August levels); so Dan had a schedule based on this.

2) PWE comes in (and in the talks pprobably gave Dan an idea of what they would do with regard to upping staffing levels and overall development budget (which was more than Atari was allowing); so Dan made a developmentr schedule based on that that probably INCLUDED some overall lost productivity in the short term; as they hired nerw people, and the existing staff had to train them and get gthem up to speed, etc.

The headache was not knowing which schedule was going to be the 'final' one going forward, and I'm sure he had to adjust both up to the day the deal went throiugh.

Still, in that time, we did get:

- A ground combat revamp
    - A graphics engine update
    - The revamped Q'O Nos First City Zone
    - The StarFleet Academy Zone
    - The Borg Space Red Alerts.

And the above was about 2 months behind schedule. So, the devs WERE working and adding to the game, just not adding new playable 'storyline missions (although IMO the space based Borg Red Alert is a 'world mission event, sio it is a form of mission content.

Now, after the deal was concluded, and since, we've gotten:

- The Doff system (and I didn't include it in the above as it wasn't finally released even to test until AFTER the acquisition; but it was being worked on since Atari 'discontinied' operations on Cryptic as well)

- The F2P client (for better or worse, it is what it is)
    - The Klingon Academy Zone
    - Lore missions at both the SFA and KA zones.

The 'Event System' that includes:
    - The Fed/KDF Mirror Event (like a Mini Fleet Action') <--- It's a new even I enjoy when it pops.
    - Tour The Universe (Not really an event I care for)
    - SFA/KA event .
    - Three Events based on existing content that just give some type of bonus for doing said content during that period.)
    - The Defera Invasion Event (another piece of what could be termed BOTH a new zone and new mission content even if I don't care for how it's gated.)

Then in prep for F2P, qwe also got:
    - I belleve Five New Fed ships (all C-Store)
    - Nine new KDF ships (all C-Store)
    - The revamped STF and STF gear rrewards system.

And for the 'seson, they did:
    - The 'Winter Event'

So, while it's ABSOLUTELY true we got no new FE series 9and I'm as bummed about that as anyone else, believe me); it's also not completely honest to claim the STO Dev team hasn't done anything new for the game in the past year. That just not accrate. People may not like the priorities (and I really woukld have liked an FE series mixed in with the above myself); but it's definitely NOT the case that the Devs have at all abandoned the game; they just added content in other areas (Including three brand new things that ARE mission content of a sort.)

As for BioWare and SWToR; again, they too have made A LOT of promioses and the one thing they've stated as 'cming soon' is a new endgame level flashpoint, and the expansion of the Legacy system. (But STO started quick too as they put the STFs out soon post release; so it this could be a case that BioWare also 'held something back' at the start to 'show' they too can expand their game. I really do hope they pull it off - BUT, the real proof will come after we see how much new content they are able to deliver to SWToR in te first year.
    ^^^
    If they can demonstrate an ability to roll out new content at the level of quality their lauch content was, and do so at a sustained and consistent pace; I'll applaud. But at this point, to claim:

and somehow believe Cryptic in two years had:

Is a bit disengenuous given BioWare had 6 years and couldn't even do a real space combat system ala SWGs in that time. Again I'm also playing SWToR - and I hope BioWare can deliver; but they've already shown their like EVERY OTHER MMO developer to date when it comes to CS; so I have to wonder if they CAN indeed keep new content flowing at a sustained rate with what they've set up (and NY new content will need a longer post production period and be more expensive than any other MMO because of the VO requirements. EA is also NOT know for having loose purse strings - they want minimum expenditure and maximum profit; and they've pulled out fast if a product doesn't achieve that paradigm; so I'd say the first year of SWToR's lifecycle could be interesting.

But so far; based on the SWToR forums and with a User metacritic scopre of 6.1 (link)

[And for comparison STO's User metacritic score is 6.0) (link)]

SWToR hasn't 'hit one out of the park' as it were just quite yet. It may, or it may not; but the usual pattern is playing itself out in that the 'true believers' think BioWare will be the ONE MMO developer that breaks the pattern of not living up to its promises; and the others who just want to hate ofon the game - and further, those of us with A LOT of MMO launches under our belt who see yet another MMO launch like all the rest and go through the SAME exact cycle which is:

- The 'Honeymoon Period' where even the mildly interested players this said new MMO will 'be the one that finally 'does it right...'

- Then when the first delay of new cvontent begin to see that hope fade but are still optomistc...

- Until more dates fade; OR they release what some feel is substandard content; or the Dev team starts to nerf something popular.

SWToR is still in the Honeymoon period. It'll be interesting to see where it's at after year one. (And I may still be playing or I may not as well; but even the casuals in my guild have characters reaching Level 30; and they haven't spacebared a thing; so the idea that SWToR would have a longer more in depth leveling process is seemingly out the window; as I have a feeling most will have one level 50 in their first month. I guess it's going to depend on how many Alts a player really wants.)

I just hit level 50 yesterday, I wasn't even pushing for it. I can say one thing, the game doesn't end at 50. I've still got two more planets to finish, a heap of bonus series missions to work on and a class story to finish. Then I can look at World Bosses, Raiding and Heroic Flashpoints.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    BlackV7 wrote:
    When you look at websites that are based around users giving a review, you are going to get a TON of people who hate a game just to hate it, maybe because its competition to their favorite title, maybe just cause it was hyped up *And lets be honest, SWTOR was hyped to HELL and back*.
    An equally fair asessment would be also to include the extreme SW fans that simply posted to save face.
    So yea, Trolls and Fanboys do apply in this scenario.
    Agreed. Those that posted a 0 with nothing but a "don't like this", one lined posts, are most likely just trolls.
    While those that posted a 10 (a perfect score) while saying "the game isn't perfect", are most likely the SW Luvin Defense Team.
    I'm going to say less than half of the actual negative reviews actually played the game,
    Why would you make such an large assumption?
    and less than that played it past level ten.
    Why would you make this even larger assumption?

With those two assumptions, is it not possible, that someone started playing, didn't like it, then reviewed poorly based on those expierences?
    The same would go with some who voted favorably. If they just started playing, but haven't expierenced the entirety of the game, would their point be equally valid and invalid?
    *numbers*

I really can't agree with your numbers based entirely upon the two assumptions you based them on.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Here it goes: TOR > STO. I also think that a steak > pizza. But that doesnt mean I dont enjoy pizza. I enjoy both steak and pizza, and just because I think that a steak may be a higher quality meal doesnt mean I'm not going to eat pizza anymore. Once people realize they can enjoy more than one game at the same time they will be alot happier.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Once people realize they can enjoy more than one game at the same time they will be alot happier.

This!^^^

I currently have 5 different online games installed on my computer.
    Why?
    Because I like them all, and I heavy plenty of drive space.

Although I do solidly disagree with your Steak>Pizza preference, simply due to the existence of Steak Pizza. The ULTIMATE FOOD!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    This!^^^

I currently have 5 different online games installed on my computer.
    Why?
    Because I like them all, and I heavy plenty of drive space.

It does make a 1 TB drive seem small once you have more than one installed heh.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It does make a 1 TB drive seem small once you have more than one installed heh.

Not at all.
    The Cryptic folder is only 18G while holding STO and Champs.
    Funcoms folder with Age of Conan and Anarchy Online is currently 26.3G
    Fiesta is 3.34G
    So only a total of 47.64G.
    Lots of drive space left.
    That's only 4.764% of the Terabyte drive.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Not at all.
    Fiesta is 3.34G

Hell, my entire "Games Directory with:

STO (and the two test server clients)

CO (With Test Server)

SWToR (No test server client though as the regular servers are beta enough for mre atm - although for me, the final version DOES run better than the last beta client for me, so they made some progress.)

WAR (Don't know why I haven't removed it as I haven't played since 2009 - I nuked AoC after the first 3 months it was out)

WoW (Through WolK - last played in 2009 too and never got CATA)

And about 8 stand alone games from old favorites like FreeSpace to SWKotoR amd Bridge Commander - it only uses 85 GB. Hell an old 150 GB could hold all that and still run ok. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Not at all.
    Fiesta is 3.34G

I have several other non mmos that take up a large amount of space on my drive as well. Steam sales are so hard to resist :D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I enjoy both steak and pizza
    Mmmmm, Steak Pizza. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Once people realize they can enjoy more than one game at the same time they will be a lot happier.
    I agree.

I have a half dozen MMOs installed--and log into them either weekly or bimonthly.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The HERO and the VOICE of STO has stated on a previous STOKED episode that Star Wars was not his cup of tea and that his flavor will always be Star Trek. I do believe Chris in his statement, and for once, he has stepped down for a moment from the proverbial STO highhorse to take a glance at a competitor.

In this episode of "In Depth Look," he admitted to stating he was a "HATER" of TOR and that he never even played the game. After being given TOR as a gift, we are now treated with a "change of mind" look. Let us see what Chris says about TOR.

So I will share with you the "In Depth Look" episode in which Chris Fisher reviews TOR.

Quite interesting
    > Chris Fisher's take on TOR
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    While I'm happy this one GUY found what he LIKED, I had EIGHT OBSESSIVE STAR WARS FAN friends already UNSUBSCRIBE and STOP playing TOR. They QUIT because they either got "bored quickly", or they couldn't stand the "death by a thousand paper cuts" glitches. These were the SAME FRIENDS who would trumpet all the ADVANTAGES ToR had over everything ELSE (voice-acting, individual storylines). AND they PLAYED BETA, and they bought COLLECTORS EDITION. Mind you, they didn't jump back onto STO, instead going back to their original game, which I bet you can guess which one. And these guys are rather obsessive MMO players that would call me up just to talk about their awesome character and the raids they've done at 23.00 hours, all in a game I never played.

Eh, still wont' play it. Not my cuppa.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I generally avoid extended arguments that begin with the premise of "I was wrong!" Seems to me that the person's judgement is probably not the best. Thanks for trying to stop the hate, though.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Liznotram wrote: »
    While I'm happy this one GUY found what he LIKED, I had EIGHT OBSESSIVE STAR WARS FAN friends already UNSUBSCRIBE and STOP playing TOR. They QUIT because they either got "bored quickly", or they couldn't stand the "death by a thousand paper cuts" glitches. These were the SAME FRIENDS who would trumpet all the ADVANTAGES ToR had over everything ELSE (voice-acting, individual storylines). AND they PLAYED BETA, and they bought COLLECTORS EDITION. Mind you, they didn't jump back onto STO, instead going back to their original game, which I bet you can guess which one. And these guys are rather obsessive MMO players that would call me up just to talk about their awesome character and the raids they've done at 23.00 hours, all in a game I never played.

Eh, still wont' play it. Not my cuppa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer's_remorse
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hornet331 wrote: »

At least, with my friends, yes. However, I'm just stating that even though one player saw the light, eight lost the faith. The first argument was an appeal to authority. Mine is merely is anecdotal evidence. Admittedly, I would love to extrapolate that for every one person that joins, eight quit.

I hate both steak and lobster though. I adore scallops and fried fish. What am I doing here?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    is this game Free to Play or not???
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    RAJ_2011 wrote:
    is this game Free to Play or not???
    If you mean SWTOR, no. It's $60.00 for the game and $15.00 a month to play.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So I am a LTS and been playing for for 660d+, love Star Trek and enjoy STO. I also started playing SWTOR and am loving it right now. I personally don't have the time to play two games, but I'll be back to STO eventually when there is more for me to do.

You have to be nuts not to realise that Popularity and Scale for SWTOR is much larger, but how much really are we talking about? Twice as big? We can't be sure, but judging by the Facebook likes alone its quite a bit ... STO = 92,177 Like, 754 Talking Vs SWTOR = 773,583 Like, 86,990 Talking. ...... It's a monster :eek:.

Just found this interesting
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    There'll never be enough to do in STO at this rate, I'm sure you hate the pathetic grind it's become as much as anyone else, and well, at this rate, 5 FE's in a year well, it won't take that much time away from TOR.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Lukas2409 wrote:
    There'll never be enough to do in STO at this rate, I'm sure you hate the pathetic grind it's become as much as anyone else, and well, at this rate, 5 FE's in a year well, it won't take that much time away from TOR.

The really sad thing is that there will only be 2x FE per year :eek:
    sdangelo wrote: »
    To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July. (Note that once again this is a forward looking statement and not a promise, because pretty much anything could change by then)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    jkstocbr wrote:
    The really sad thing is that there will only be 2x FE per year :eek:

This is what killed my last bit of interest in STO (still sticking around as silver player coming in when new content rears it's head), I'm hoping that changes, considering that Dan Stahl thought that 10 series a year was achieveable. There must have been one hell of a staff shakeup to make that no longer a reality
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Canderous Ordo server could always use more Republic pvp'ers :p .

But seriously, over the past months STO has been a pathetic example of anything "Trek." I've been here from start like the X amount that bothered to stay and get stabbed in the back and kicked in the teeth by Cryptic...I'll only keep my STO account because some of my online friends are still here, and maybe to see how bad this conversion goes and maybe get a laugh out of it before going back to TOR for the rest of a day.

Hell I've always hated the Ent-F...and yet I wonder why Cryptic just stopped talking about it months ago after all the hype they made about it..then there's the only 2-3 FE's a YEAR now...C-Store prices rising with an addition to it being a larger focus in the game....Asian market F2P MMO is all this is now...and as a Trek fan...that saddens me greatly.. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    SWTOR is a great game.

However, I believe that its single-player roots prevent it from reaching the best multiplayer aspirations. Conversely,

you just described STO all the way up to VA and when you get STF's
    ive did 3 account to STO this being my first one and all 3 had there ship they where suppose to be in all 3 solo the hole game all the way up to VA only time i ever needid a group in sto was for STF misson's

in swtor your giveing quest at lvl 5 and up that one you group up and do them or drop them move on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ok so ive been playing SWTOR for a bit now, my view?

It is fun, so much more to do than STO and hard to think SWTOR is a new release.

But it doesnt come without faults, personal things i dont like.

1 PvP - Utter rubbish, unbanded level PvP, totally stupid. They even call them warzones! total failure on this part. Trooper or Smuggler etc are the way to go here, shoot and kill before a Sabre wielder can even get a blow in, 1v1 combat between weilders is really stupid as it comes to running and smashing buttons, you cant keep a focus on them and use abilities quick enough, once locked in combat they should go head to head etc.

2 Running around - You are sent back and forth way way too much and you end up getting bored and fed up with it, they should give out basic mounts at around 15 to 18ish.

3 Map Design, some of it looks really nice, but walls etc are badly placed, noone wants to keep walking aroud a huge map to get to something thats more or less next to them, for example umm i forgot the planets name lol, Tranis or something, terrible terrible design.

4 Grinding, this isnt so much a problem, but on the above mentioned Planet it never seems to end, back n forth new quest after quest in same area, they should rip out half of these as there all the same and get the Player moving on.

5 Confusing, so many areas, so many commendations etc, it is really confusing and not very well thought out, it gets easier as you level but it is still a pain.

6 Ship Combat, a complete joke, may as well say it hasnt any, how on Earth did they release it like that, completely and totally rubbish, STO is God here im afraid.

7 Lag, this may just be me, but Lag isnt there, not at the start, after playing for a few hours it starts to get slower and slower till i have to come out of the game or i crash.

8 Bugs, i mean big bugs, i spent days doing a chain quest for it to bug out at the end and can no longer carry on with it, spent hours doing a Flashpoint to only keep falling through the floor etc.

9 Servers, way too many, theres simply loads of them , close some push more players into same servers.

Yes all the shouting about it is WoW with a SW skin is completely true, carbon copy really, a real total rip off, nothing unique or new or anovative, but its a proven formula for some, for me its ok but new breed of MMOs are starting to change things, for me GW2 looks the real deal.

Sounds like i dont like SWTOR, i do , it is fun when said and done and unlike STO it actually has things to do in it, so yes ill carry on playing for the moment and see if Space combat and PvP improves. If it doesnt? i can see me leaving allready after a short spell as the above complaints will be too much after awhile.

Just Saying.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Fewzz wrote: »

It is fun, so much more to do than STO and hard to think SWTOR is a new release.

1 PvP - Utter rubbish, unbanded level PvP, totally stupid. They even call them warzones! total failure on this part. Trooper or Smuggler etc are the way to go here, shoot and kill before a Sabre wielder can even get a blow in, 1v1 combat between weilders is really stupid as it comes to running and smashing buttons, you cant keep a focus on them and use abilities quick enough, once locked in combat they should go head to head etc.

2 Running around - You are sent back and forth way way too much and you end up getting bored and fed up with it, they should give out basic mounts at around 15 to 18ish.

3 Map Design, some of it looks really nice, but walls etc are badly placed, noone wants to keep walking aroud a huge map to get to something thats more or less next to them, for example umm i forgot the planets name lol, Tranis or something, terrible terrible design.

4 Grinding, this isnt so much a problem, but on the above mentioned Planet it never seems to end, back n forth new quest after quest in same area, they should rip out half of these as there all the same and get the Player moving on.

5 Confusing, so many areas, so many commendations etc, it is really confusing and not very well thought out, it gets easier as you level but it is still a pain.

6 Ship Combat, a complete joke, may as well say it hasnt any, how on Earth did they release it like that, completely and totally rubbish, STO is God here im afraid.

7 Lag, this may just be me, but Lag isnt there, not at the start, after playing for a few hours it starts to get slower and slower till i have to come out of the game or i crash.

8 Bugs, i mean big bugs, i spent days doing a chain quest for it to bug out at the end and can no longer carry on with it, spent hours doing a Flashpoint to only keep falling through the floor etc.

9 Servers, way too many, theres simply loads of them , close some push more players into same servers.

Yes all the shouting about it is WoW with a SW skin is completely true, carbon copy really, a real total rip off, nothing unique or new or anovative, but its a proven formula for some, for me its ok but new breed of MMOs are starting to change things, for me GW2 looks the real deal.

Sounds like i dont like SWTOR, i do , it is fun when said and done and unlike STO it actually has things to do in it, so yes ill carry on playing for the moment and see if Space combat and PvP improves. If it doesnt? i can see me leaving allready after a short spell as the above complaints will be too much after awhile.

Just Saying.

Crafting is better than WoW--far more complexity between criticals, reverse-engineered-only recipes, etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Fewzz wrote: »

I don't get that part either. Sounds like a bad idea.
    Well, we get speeder taxis and speeders ourself. I found it quite manageable, compared to how much you are flying around through Sector Space in STO, it seems normal. Less safe, but also less boring.
    It's awesome, isn't it! So many Quests! When will I ever be finished!
    Commendations are basically per planet. Sounds simple enough to me.
    I like it more than I expected, but I still want an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter like experience.
    Hmm. That sounds unrelated to normal lag. When a "normal" software gets slower and slower over time, it indicates some kind of memory leak, but that should show on all clients. I haven't noticed this yet.
    Thankfully, I had no such issues so far.
    Definitely prefer the Cryptic Shard method here anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Fun.

That's what I am having in ToR and not had in a while for STO.

I love flying my Defiant and blasting away, but it's tiresome and boring after 20 mins or so.

I alway felt with 3 classes (very simular too) this game would not have much replayablitiy.

Even though the ship combat in TOR is not as good as STO, I was surprised how much fun I had playing it. I loved Starfox back on my SNES and this reminds me of it so much.

That said though, I love the story in TOR, the exploring, the fighting, really like the crafting and it just feels like so much more to do with the added bonus of doing it all again differently 8 times or even 16 if I want to change A/C.

STO left me feeling hollow after 2 weeks, with me only coming back to play after each season, playing 2 mins and logging off.

The difference now, is I cannot really %itch and complain about STO as I am not paying for it anymore but TOR is my main, STO is the one I want when I want to do some blasting as I love my defiant.

There is space for more than one game in my life so my hating on STO will stop and I will play when I feel that need. I think for all my past griping about STO, it was down to paying a sub fee for a sub par game. Now I feel it's worth it (as in free).

The only problem is I cannot see me shelling out a bean on this game and if plenty of others both new and old feel the same, how will it survive? Yes, in the next few months, loads of people will try with some staying and some leaving but isn't it all about those staying buying stuff?

Anyway, TOR = Fun regardless of the niggles. Next patch PVP brackets come in (very welcome) so this will make a big difference to me and to others...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Solomace wrote: »
    Fun.

That's what I am having in ToR and not had in a while for STO.

I love flying my Defiant and blasting away, but it's tiresome and boring after 20 mins or so.

I alway felt with 3 classes (very simular too) this game would not have much replayablitiy.

Even though the ship combat in TOR is not as good as STO, I was surprised how much fun I had playing it. I loved Starfox back on my SNES and this reminds me of it so much.

That said though, I love the story in TOR, the exploring, the fighting, really like the crafting and it just feels like so much more to do with the added bonus of doing it all again differently 8 times or even 16 if I want to change A/C.

STO left me feeling hollow after 2 weeks, with me only coming back to play after each season, playing 2 mins and logging off.

The difference now, is I cannot really %itch and complain about STO as I am not paying for it anymore but TOR is my main, STO is the one I want when I want to do some blasting as I love my defiant.

There is space for more than one game in my life so my hating on STO will stop and I will play when I feel that need. I think for all my past griping about STO, it was down to paying a sub fee for a sub par game. Now I feel it's worth it (as in free).

The only problem is I cannot see me shelling out a bean on this game and if plenty of others both new and old feel the same, how will it survive? Yes, in the next few months, loads of people will try with some staying and some leaving but isn't it all about those staying buying stuff?

Anyway, TOR = Fun regardless of the niggles. Next patch PVP brackets come in (very welcome) so this will make a big difference to me and to others...
    you know, its funny, I feel the exact opposite, I found ToR boring and repetitive and I had issue after issue with it on my pc, issues that being in the beta and posting many bug reports about should have been fixed before release (and I was in the very first beta weekend too)

STO is no where near perfect I agree, but story, feel, etc is by far much better to me than ToR

(Also, ToR is so astronomically expensive compared to STO, with ToR being released at now the most expensive RRP on the market for an MMO release, its just not worth it)