Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - October 3, 2011

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    After 10+ months of propaganda because they decide to lie to the paying customer and state publically they weren't going to a F2P system, while they intended to work on the F2P system all along.

They said constantly that they were looking at how champs was doing, to see if it would fit there model. They never said that they would not go F2P, just that for the time being they were going to stick to a subscription based game. They are doing what’s best for the game, and several members of the community have been asking for it to go F2P. Not to stop paying, but to bring in a new source of revenue. The more money, the more development. The first thing Dsthal said when champs went F2P is that he would watch it very closely to see if it would work.

Btw: Champs has flourished under the F2P model.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well the way I see this dilithium thing going is this:

Forget about pay to win as we will have to pay to even play properly. Lifers, gold subbers and f2p players will all be in the same boat, not being able to get your next tier ship unless you grind or pay money.

Not looking good too me :(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    SatansHell wrote: »
    Well the way I see this dilithium thing going is this:

Forget about pay to win as we will have to pay to even play properly. Lifers, gold subbers and f2p players will all be in the same boat, not being able to get your next tier ship unless you grind or pay money.

Not looking good too me :(

Not looking good if you want to play for free and not have to grind a bit. But why would it be? The rest already pay to play at all and will likely be able to continue doing exactly that for free. We will be getting C-Store points with our subscriptions. And they've clearly said that the whole economy isn't implemented yet. Just seems a little early to think that anything will be worse for subscribers. From what I've seen so far, it mostly seems better, expecially for those who've been playing for a while already.

Now, if F2P players expect to play and never have to grind or pay any money, then they will probably be disappointed. But, so what? Those probably aren't the F2P players Cryptic is going after.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Inspired wrote: »
    Not looking good if you want to play for free and not have to grind a bit. But why would it be? The rest already pay to play at all and will likely be able to continue doing exactly that for free. We will be getting C-Store points with our subscriptions. And they've clearly said that the whole economy isn't implemented yet. Just seems a little early to think that anything will be worse for subscribers. From what I've seen so far, it mostly seems better, expecially for those who've been playing for a while already.

Now, if F2P players expect to play and never have to grind or pay any money, then they will probably be disappointed. But, so what? Those probably aren't the F2P players Cryptic is going after.

It is actually a good disincentive to roll new toons which is probably a good thing for their overhead with all the newbies joining. I have like 16 slots available for new toons and I probably won't use them until convertible First Officers show up.

Newbies and others who have never created a character may have to grind or pay, but I'm okay with that.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Maybe someone posted this already. Maybe not.

But I have to wonder why we were asked to do testing on Tribble, with so many core mechanics broken?

Other than the **cough cough** "NEW" tutorial :rolleyes: is there any reason for us to be on Tribble right now, since it seems you can't progress beyond the lower levels, due to dilithium shortages?

Perhaps Tribble should be brought down until it's back in working order.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Maybe someone posted this already. Maybe not.

But I have to wonder why we were asked to do testing on Tribble, with so many core mechanics broken?

Other than the **cough cough** "NEW" tutorial :rolleyes: is there any reason for us to be on Tribble right now, since it seems you can't progress beyond the lower levels, due to dilithium shortages?

Perhaps Tribble should be brought down until it's back in working order.

It's a test server. As soon as it's in "working order" it'll be pushed to holodeck. If nothing was broken that would be when you should ask: why test? Because that would be the time when testing wouldn't be required.

Or are you implying that there are so many bugs that you can't find any bugs?

I haven't noticed that but I'm only a couple levels into Captain so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    could you guys put the ship tokens back and maybe use the dilithium to upgrade your ship?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    A basic level-appropriate ship is absolutely necessary to complete the game. The Miranda is a piece of TRIBBLE, but it will get the job done (eventually) within it's assigned tier; and the same goes for the other basic ships. But the ships run out of gas quickly outside their assigned level ranges, mainly due to the lack of level-appropriate BOFF powers. We're talking about people having a ship or having no ship; having no ship is unacceptable, and whether you think it's fun or not, people will quit very quickly once they figure out this is how it is. If F2P players want something pretty or that's super duper nice, then of course they have to pay. The way to make money is to make the basic ship just good enough (and relatively ugly), and make the C-Store ships enough of a boost (or pretty enough) that people want them and find them worth the $$$ to spring for.
    I have to disagree on the 'necessary' part of this. The game is easy enough to play through with a lower tier ship. I've already done it on live, went to Va in a Nova class ship (and not the RI mind you), and have even managed to do combat exploration missions in b'tran on elite in her.
    Considering the low rate of dailies and the flat 1400 rate of explorations it will take an extensive amount of grinding to earn the Dilithium to get a VA ship. Especially for those of us who are testing and haven't gotten Dilithium as we should have. We will be experiencing a badly designed economy issue, exacerbated by them having us test it unfinished.
    Bringing up the flat rate of the exploration missions reminded me of a post I looked up for an answer to someone else...
    dstahl wrote: »
    The basics is that we are changing the currency used to buy basic ships from EC to Dilithium. We are also changing rewards to give out more dilithium (where previously we would have given EC).

The amount of dilithium you earn goes up over levels (as do ship costs) similar to EC.

This is partly to remove some of the confusion and clunky UI around "Ship Tokens" and weird workarounds we've had to do in order to give players ships.

That said, we expect some ships at high end to require some game time to earn (similar to how you would normally pay 500 Emblems for a ship, now you will pay dilithium). But keep in mind not all dilithium will be tied to "dailies".

There are many reasons we are making this change, but one of the reasons I like best is that it helps new players understand which content to do that will earn them credit towards purchasing a ship - and that helps me tailor the game experience to direct players towards content that might be more interesting than other content... etc.
    Is this still the plan? Because if the dilithium gains don't increase with level and the equipment costs do then it is not following what we've been told on the subject, and an explanation/update is in order.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Is this still the plan? Because if the dilithium gains don't increase with level and the equipment costs do then it is not following what we've been told on the subject, and an explanation/update is in order.

No it isn't, from what the dev said in stoked, the dilithium awarded will be a flat rate across all levels. It wont matter how high you are, you will still get the same amount of dilithium for each mission :(

To be honest, im done testing on tribble until all of the dilithium system is in place.
    I still do not see how we can properly test everything without it in place, and I do not want to keep flying around in lower tier ships as its no fun at all :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright

Salami we cannot properly test tribble if we do not have the dilithum to acquire ships to get up in levels. So additions to Dilithium are needed now.
    And you shall have them! Thursday or Friday.

The fixes for the dilithium are coming as Salami said, this is just the first build of the F2P system. Hang in there :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I see A LOT of games going F2P the reason is that the people who don't want to pay can play like everybody else its like a extended trial account but the F2P players can still get to VA albeit a little more effort than the subscribers. I have seen a game that I played for years going F2P. You DO have to realize that this is a business at the root and the owners/developers will do what they feel will enhance the profitablity of the game. We might not like it but put yourself in their place, they want to keep their jobs and if F2P helps that they will do it. No matter what happens I am glad I bought a lifetime subscription for me it was well worth the money.

I just hope that the dev's look at what happened to Star Wars Galaxies and learn their lesson. I do like the simplification of the economy, Marks, badges and emblems was getting confusing which vendor took which. Or as Mel Brooks quite aptly put "We don't need no stinking badges"
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Seancstew wrote: »
    You could run the traeleus repair mission 50 times....
    that will give you your dilithium..

And take 50 days... That is an unnecessarily LONG daily grind, even with the saving the freighter daily in the same sector that drops it down to 25 days, which is still over 3 weeks...and WAY to long.
    They need to either add a temporary Dilithium giving NPC or put the dilithium rewards in in order for ship system to be properly tested.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    remember there will be other dailies to do when you get to the breen tgho it might not help you at commander lvl or captain at that matter. but there needs to be more dailies to do if we have to grind for our remaining dilithium than the 3 to 4 in eta
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Inspired wrote: »
    The very reason we're here testing is that that the game is going F2P. I'm aware you know that, but that by design means that only things that are absolutely necessary to complete the game are given away free. The others will require money or perhaps just an extensive amount of grinding. Don't know how some people think that they give can away everything for free and still operate the game, but they can't and won't.
    Adrianas wrote:
    You DO have to realize that this is a business at the root and the owners/developers will do what they feel will enhance the profitablity of the game. We might not like it but put yourself in their place, they want to keep their jobs and if F2P helps that they will do it. No matter what happens I am glad I bought a lifetime subscription for me it was well worth the money.

We're testing with Gold-level accounts (specified in the blog). So everything Dilithium-related that's a factor for Silvers will also be a factor for Gold accounts. There's nothing free about a $15/mo subscription.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It is in TESTING, anyone who doesn't expect issues should understand, this is testing. That is you test to find the flaws and bugs. Admittedly dilithium seems scarce in the first week of (again) TESTING!

Admittedly I have yet to be able to create a single ticket due to some bug or another.

But this is (one more time with feeling now) TESTING. I.E. Not a finished product.

Although I would liKE to be able to submit tickets about bugs and issues I have experienced. I am not going to complain that this is not a perfect product when they have had less then a week of (some of you need to look up the definition of) TESTING!!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It is in TESTING, anyone who doesn't expect issues should understand, this is testing. That is you test to find the flaws and bugs. Admittedly dilithium seems scarce in the first week of (again) TESTING!

Admittedly I have yet to be able to create a single ticket due to some bug or another.

But this is (one more time with feeling now) TESTING. I.E. Not a finished product.

Although I would liKE to be able to submit tickets about bugs and issues I have experienced. I am not going to complain that this is not a perfect product when they have had less then a week of (some of you need to look up the definition of) TESTING!!!!!

we understand this is testing but you and the devs should realise the the dilithium is a very beginning basic part of the f2p it should had been the very first or atleast one of the first things put in there system to be tested before it was even put on tribble to be tested, so now over haft the ships havent been tested which also means that all these ships havent been tested in all the instances, and so on. I understand bugs , problems and issues but you realy have to have the basics.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So any news on when tribble is going down to get the KDF into the game?
    GMT+1 here
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So any news on when tribble is going down to get the KDF into the game?
    GMT+1 here

Most likely tomorrow, Friday...

As we would have seen an announcement last evening (Wed.) if it were going to be today.

:)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Most likely tomorrow, Friday...

As we would have seen an announcement last evening (Wed.) if it were going to be today.

:)

You may be behind on your reading. From yesterday's dev blog:
    Tomorrow (October 6), Klingon Defense Force play will be unlocked on Tribble for all accounts that have a Federation character at level 3 and higher.

Not usually all that much warning for Tribble, so it'll probably be here a couple hours after they're ready to push it and say it's going down.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    good to know priorities are straight, how about some emergency bug fixes to Holodeck?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ok ... Waiting on today's Tribble push ... There be Klingon content to test, and I want in! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    almost 11:00am, are we going to be waiting much longer?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Skelmer wrote:
    almost 11:00am, are we going to be waiting much longer?

Probably a long time...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    why do they even announce things. It never gets done when they say.