test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"I don't want no 23rd Century ships poppin my OMGWTFPWNAGE Soverign."

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I've been hearing this a lot lately through discussions and details about parts of the game that have only been apart of those discussions. Sure this game may take place in the 25th Century and we're in the middle of a war[Mostly for PVP "Story".]. But let me ask you. Why would you be so ashamed about a ship that has been brought out from mothballs to help fight a war against the KDF pops you in a round of "War Games"?

I'd love to see a paragraph from the people saying that with a whole load of detail that does not mention "Canon" or "Tiers" involved.

By the way. I'm a fan of all Era's and I love how Cryptic is putting in ships from all Era's on both factions [THANK YOU <3].

EDIT: Also While we're at it. I'm going to post my idea from another thread.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3435831&postcount=8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I think one of the most fundamental issues with the debate is that one of the ships is bought from the c-store and the other one was supposed to be part of the natural level progression.

Thus there's conflict.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    superchum wrote: »
    I think one of the most fundamental issues with the debate is that one of the ships is bought from the c-store and the other one was supposed to be part of the natural level progression.

Thus there's conflict.

1. It's a game.

2. In terms of canon, Star Trek has itself has more canon violations than STO does. But they can't deal with it, so they complain.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Phibrizzo wrote: »
    1. It's a game.

2. In terms of canon, Star Trek has itself has more canon violations than STO does. But they can't deal with it, so they complain.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen

And this is an MMO forum, so of course people are going to be complaining about everything. But you cant deal with it, so you complain about them complaining.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And this is an MMO forum, so of course people are going to be complaining about everything. But you cant deal with it, so you complain about them complaining.

damned right i am
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Replace "23rd century ship" with "Ironclad" and "Sovereign" with "Nimitz", then you'll understand the reason. Sure they have the same basic shape, and you could update an ironclad with modern technology to make it stand more of a chance, but eventually you reach a point where it's no longer a Constitution, it's now an Excalibur, a new ship that isn't over a century old.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Replace "23rd century ship" with "Ironclad" and "Sovereign" with "Nimitz", then you'll understand the reason. Sure they have the same basic shape, and you could update an ironclad with modern technology to make it stand more of a chance, but eventually you reach a point where it's no longer a Constitution, it's now an Excalibur, a new ship that isn't over a century old.

i understand the reasons under the topic "canon" that you say that, however, you should see point 1 of the first reply i made
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Best comparison I've ever heard.

In reality, to make old technology just as competent as new technology, you have to rebuild it from the inside out. That means it is no longer old technology, it IS new technology. Often times, a retrofit is a lot more expensive than just building a new one (of anything, mind you), so you just drop the old one and build the new one.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i understand the reasons under the topic "canon" that you say that, however, you should see point 1 of the first reply i made

It's not just a game, it's a Star Trek game. If we go ignoring canon just because people say it's fun, why stop at just ships? Why not give our characters wings, so we can have fun flying around? Why not give us lightsabres, as a fun new melee weapon?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Best comparison I've ever heard.

In reality, to make old technology just as competent as new technology, you have to rebuild it from the inside out. That means it is no longer old technology, it IS new technology. Often times, a retrofit is a lot more expensive than just building a new one (of anything, mind you), so you just drop the old one and build the new one.

While doing a bit of reading, I found something else to support my point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_R._Ford_class_aircraft_carrier. It's the new aircraft carriers the USN is building to replace the Nimitz. Looks mostly like a Nimitz from the outside, but all different on the inside. However they're not calling it the Nimitz, or the Nimitz refit, or an updated design Navy engineers have brought back for nostalgia reasons from the 70s, they're calling it the Gerald R Ford class.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

And you should see the first sentence of the first reply I made.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

People fail to realize, "They arent 23rd Century ships", they just look like them. Its like saying your ****ed because a 2011 mustang kicked your girly cars TRIBBLE in drag race. It isnt the pony car from the 60's, its a brand new spanking look alike.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And you should see the first sentence of the first reply I made.

and your point is what exactly?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TrentTyler wrote: »
    People fail to realize, "They arent 23rd Century ships", they just look like them. Its like saying your ****ed because a 2011 mustang kicked your girly cars TRIBBLE in drag race. It isnt the pony car from the 60's, its a brand new spanking look alike.

Although the car from the 60s could still beat alot of modern cars, your point is correct. From the C-store description of the NX replica:
    After Starfleet starships were converted to a modular design, a group from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers working at Utopia Planitia wondered if vessels from the Federation's past could be constructed in this manner. Working with Federation historian Geoffrey Pacelli, the SCE officers chose the famed NX Class for reconstruction. The NX Class Starship Replica sports the classic look of Earth's starships from the 22nd century, but has been updated with modern technology to meet current Starfleet specifications for Lieutenant-rank missions.

You dont have to like it, but as far as the story of the game goes these arent old ships, they are NEW ships that LOOK like old ships. Canon argument = defeated.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You dont have to like it, but as far as the story of the game goes these arent old ships, they are NEW ships that LOOK like old ships. Canon argument = defeated.

exactly

/10charactersofsomekindoranother
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    and your point is what exactly?

That you need to take your own advice. You tell people "this is just a game" so they shouldnt be upset about canon vilations. Well this is "just an MMO forum" so you shouldnt be upset about people complaining about whatever they feel like.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hopefully they will make a refit sov at somepoint with more of a tactical flavor to it then just being a massive tank

In the mean time there's the unspecified ambassador on its way somewhere, I'm interested to see if it will be as tactical oriented as the excel.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That you need to take your own advice. You tell people "this is just a game" so they shouldnt be upset about canon vilations. Well this is "just an MMO forum" so you shouldnt be upset about people complaining about whatever they feel like.

and where, except for one thread which has nothing to do with this discussion, have i become upset?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TrentTyler wrote: »

Except that the new Mustangs don't really look like the old ones, do they? Do they bear a strong resemblance to hearken back to he older cars? Yes. Are they a line for line exact copy? Not by a freakin long shot.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    While doing a bit of reading, I found something else to support my point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_R._Ford_class_aircraft_carrier. It's the new aircraft carriers the USN is building to replace the Nimitz. Looks mostly like a Nimitz from the outside, but all different on the inside. However they're not calling it the Nimitz, or the Nimitz refit, or an updated design Navy engineers have brought back for nostalgia reasons from the 70s, they're calling it the Gerald R Ford class.

It's no longer an NX class then, it's a different ship.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

and what we are piloting, or captaining, whatever term you want to use, is not the NX class ship. it's a new class that just looks like it
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hravik wrote:
    Except that the new Mustangs don't really look like the old ones, do they? Do they bear a strong resemblance to hearken back to he older cars? Yes. Are they a line for line exact copy? Not by a freakin long shot.

Hence the word "replica". Next?
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yes, but some of us don't like living in the past, we like living in the future. In fact, that's one of the largest reasons any of us like Star Trek - it shows what we COULD be. So why don't we stop living in Trek's "past", and move forward? Nostalgia is the most useless thing in the world, afterall.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hravik wrote:

SO if they curved a couple lines, then you guys would be ok getting pawned by it in PVP? that makes absolutely no frackin sense.

I would hope everyone would be on board for new stuff as long as we aren't paying a couple hours wage in the C-store.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nostalgia is the most useless thing in the world, afterall.

I pity you.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes, but some of us don't like living in the past, we like living in the future. In fact, that's one of the largest reasons any of us like Star Trek - it shows what we COULD be. So why don't we stop living in Trek's "past", and move forward? Nostalgia is the most useless thing in the world, afterall.

Then dont fly one. No one is going to force to do so, and you have no business saying what other people should be able to do with their characters. And dont forget the fact that the money that people are spending on these ships you dont like is helping to develop the game you play. So like it or not, people buying these ships is helping you.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Just like the Nimitz replica I referred to?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As long as your replica's don't match the power of the modern ships, I don't see an issue.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As long as your replica's don't match the power of the modern ships, I don't see an issue.

If it is built with modern tech on the inside, then theres no reason it shouldnt match a ship of the same proportions. Remember, these ARENT old ships. They are NEW ships that LOOK old. That has NOTHING to do with their power.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Except we already have ships in-game that are nearly the same age (B'rel refit and Excelsior refit, same century) and even older (Vulcan Sci ship), that can beat top level ships. So that argument is already over.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And dont forget the fact that the money that people are spending on these ships you dont like is helping to develop the game you play. So like it or not, people buying these ships is helping your game.

Biggest lie the devs have perpetuated. Most of the money goes to Atari corporate, and never makes it to Cryptic. Of the money that DOES make it to Cryptic, most of it is spent on administrative costs. What little finally trickles down to the development budget is used to "justify" the man-hours spent on developing the ships to begin with. People buying and flying these ships does nothing to benefit my gameplay.

And as an aside, I don't want to see OTHER players flying useless, outdated hulks. This is the "future" Trek, so let's see some new ships. We see it over and over again on the screen - Starfleet did not use older tech. They gave them away to civilians because they had much better ships to replace them with.
This discussion has been closed.