Final Compensation - For All (12.12.13 UPDATED)

Options

Comments

• Temptatio/V - Dreamweaver
    Temptatio/V - Dreamweaver Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So, entering the second week of December, we are STILL waiting for all those non-boring events that are scheduled. Any idea WHEN they will be scheduled.

I wouldn't put to much hope to those events, that can be just snowmen:) b:chucklePWI thinks they are blast of fun.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I wouldn't put to much hope to those events, that can be just snowmen:) b:chucklePWI thinks they are blast of fun.

Agreed. Don't expect too much, you'll be disappointed.

I have a feeling they'll throw the expansion at us in attempt to let people forget about the incident and that's what the events are going to be.. b:chuckle

I may sound bitter but that's how it is, you can't put your expectations high when it comes to events (or anything for the matter) or else you'll be disappointed.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • marvinhuddleston
    marvinhuddleston Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The name of the thread says it all " Final Compensation ", because for many it was the final straw . A good friend was banned because he was pissed about the orbs and raised a fuss on this thread . Dani got a year ban , while the abusers get two weeks .
  • God_chronos - Lost City
    God_chronos - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    SoOoOoOoOoOoO where is our compensation? I see they are working on some crappy card game and cant figure out how to compensate us? :o that seems ******'s play ignoring us like that forgive me if my language is inapropriate but I just want to know why not figure out currwnt issues affecting the pwi community and then focus on updates and expansionsf:scared
  • ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide
    ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I expected as much, or as little, when DoD posted about the December events. But dude, DoD your credibility is on the line here, grow a pair of ethical balls and be upfront with this community. If senior managements is saying too bad, suck it up then say it but blowing warm smoke up our a***s is not going to work anymore.
  • SakuLv - Dreamweaver
    SakuLv - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    friend got banned for 2-3 weeks for sharing his account with his real wife (but they aint married in pwi)..dont ask me how xD idk..ask Gm- they funny

and then u can see ppl who probably got more than 10-30 orbs still playing
  • FistBabe - Sanctuary
    FistBabe - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options

Except that its the chinese devs that need to do these changes. And seeing how fast they acted with the goon glitch... yea. You see the picture.

Well... the quest was pretty quickly made for the compensation for the rollback on archosaus server.
    I'm not sure if they really need the chinese devs for this.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Well... the quest was pretty quickly made for the compensation for the rollback on archosaus server.
    I'm not sure if they really need the chinese devs for this.

There's nothing hard in sending a few items and bundling them into a code. But if you wanted to prevent players from getting the items from the code they already used, you would have to tackle the quest that transforms the mail tickets into actual items. Eh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • FistBabe - Sanctuary
    FistBabe - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    There's nothing hard in sending a few items and bundling them into a code. But if you wanted to prevent players from getting the items from the code they already used, you would have to tackle the quest that transforms the mail tickets into actual items. Eh.

Then let them do a search in the database.. and send the items to everyone that didn't use the code.. and everyone will be a lot happier xD
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Then let them do a search in the database.. and send the items to everyone that didn't use the code.. and everyone will be a lot happier xD

Well I hope you're willingto give them a hand in their office. Cause I'm pretty sure they don't have the manpower for that. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • fansouthcorea
    fansouthcorea Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    and then u can see ppl who probably got more than 10-30 orbs still playing
    open a ticket and they will get ban.

DefenderOfaDeadGame put the thread name Final Compensation FOR ALL

still waiting...

nvm.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Funny.. why other games just put the freebies in the in-game mail instead of resorting to some code entry jibba jabba buggy click through marathon? Didn't even have to move my avatar to a mailbox to get a free mount in another game. Thanks for showing me the grass is greener elsewhere. b:thanks
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Funny.. why other games just put the freebies in the in-game mail instead of resorting to some code entry jibba jabba buggy click through marathon? Didn't even have to move my avatar to a mailbox to get a free mount in another game. Thanks for showing me the grass is greener elsewhere. b:thanks

I've literally tried half a dozen other MMOs (Even Pservers), and even gone back to an old favorite of mine... As much as PWI GMs, Devs, and Wanmei are a bunch of incompetent f*** ups while managment sees this game as nothing more than a printing press for money, this game is still something I enjoy.......f:strive
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • lunarsaaa
    lunarsaaa Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I've literally tried half a dozen other MMOs (Even Pservers), and even gone back to an old favorite of mine... As much as PWI GMs, Devs, and Wanmei are a bunch of incompetent f*** ups while managment sees this game as nothing more than a printing press for money, this game is still something I enjoy.......f:strive

As I read this I instantly thought of Loki's speech. Appears to apply to PWI playerbase.

"You were made to be ruled. It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation. In the end, you will always kneel
  • lyserker
    lyserker Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    ORBS pls !!
  • TheDutchman - Raging Tide
    TheDutchman - Raging Tide Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    To put some fuel on this fire.... I heard from someone on Raging Tide that he submitted a ticket about not receiving the orbs and items and as an answer to that ticket they send him the items. I submitted a ticket right after i heard that, even tried to be nice. Guess what... some crappy automated reply again that they still work on it and will compensate all ARCHOSAUR players very soon! ONLY FKNG ARCHOSAUR!!!

Does PWE want to ruin things even more??? Send some people the items after everything and the rest NOTHING???

At the end of the answer of PWE they said to me: "Thank you for being such a loyal player of PWI!" You trying to **** me off with your sarcasm PWE??? I dare you to come say that in my face!
  • Temptatio/V - Dreamweaver
    Temptatio/V - Dreamweaver Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    To put some fuel on this fire.... I heard from someone on Raging Tide that he submitted a ticket about not receiving the orbs and items and as an answer to that ticket they send him the items. I submitted a ticket right after i heard that, even tried to be nice. Guess what... some crappy automated reply again that they still work on it and will compensate all ARCHOSAUR players very soon! ONLY FKNG ARCHOSAUR!!!

Does PWE want to ruin things even more??? Send some people the items after everything and the rest NOTHING???

At the end of the answer of PWE they said to me: "Thank you for being such a loyal player of PWI!" You trying to **** me off with your sarcasm PWE??? I dare you to come say that in my face!

Dont bother:) If you replay on that auto message your ticket will be deleted, same as mine and lot of others.
  • SakuLv - Dreamweaver
    SakuLv - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options

the person might of spammed GMs with tickets..till they gave him stuff so he basically shuts up

when i got scammed i needed to send 10 tickets..to get my money back..all 9 or so they send same damn copy paste text that they cant return stuff ..so i guess if u get on their nervs they give u stuff ;D
  • TheDutchman - Raging Tide
    TheDutchman - Raging Tide Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    the person might of spammed GMs with tickets..till they gave him stuff so he basically shuts up

when i got scammed i needed to send 10 tickets..to get my money back..all 9 or so they send same damn copy paste text that they cant return stuff ..so i guess if u get on their nervs they give u stuff ;D

I think he did and it's what i'm gonna do now. I won't stop untill they really compensate all or they all went home with a nervous breakdown. PWE made this mess and gave us hardly any answers, now they have to suffer the consequences.
  • Jesya - Lost City
    Jesya - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So, entering the second week of December, we are STILL waiting for all those non-boring events that are scheduled. Any idea WHEN they will be scheduled.

The events will be as usual:
    Assault on Arch
    Snowmen
    and maybe some kind of double drops during the week of Christmas

There has not been a "new" event of any kind in years. There are some MMO's (War for Guilds #2) that actually have special instances and events for each holiday/season. It's quite nice. Even certain sections of their maps are redecorated.
    b:bye
  • Suprprutty - Lost City
    Suprprutty - Lost City Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The events will be as usual:
    Assault on Arch
    Snowmen
    and maybe some kind of double drops during the week of Christmas

There has not been a "new" event of any kind in years. There are some MMO's (War for Guilds #2) that actually have special instances and events for each holiday/season. It's quite nice. Even certain sections of their maps are redecorated.

Don't forget the tiger event that's renamed into something christmas related.
  • SonofAnarchy - Dreamweaver
    SonofAnarchy - Dreamweaver Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I think he did and it's what i'm gonna do now. I won't stop untill they really compensate all or they all went home with a nervous breakdown. PWE made this mess and gave us hardly any answers, now they have to suffer the consequences.
    You ever thought that your "friend" was lying just to annoy you and if you bombard them they might just kick you? Cause the thought crossed my mind I'm sure it will cross other peoples minds b:laugh
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options

It's not even in any top ten lists that I've seen. Just watched MMOhut's top ten for Apr 26, 2013.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mweya - Heavens Tear
    Mweya - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options

TheDutchman,

I am sure that they are NOT being sarcastic, they must really like you!. I am sure I spent far more rl money on PWI over the course of my 5 or so years playing PWI than you or many other players have and they respond to my loyalty with deleted tickets.

Thank you for caring PWI.
    UPDATE (11.27.13)

Response to a thread in which involves the compensation situation:

UPDATE (11.25.13)

Questions and Answers

What is the punishment for players who blatantly abused the compensation code?

They will be banned.

I heard from Customer Service tickets that you are only banning players who are from Archosaur. Is this true?

No, I was confused about this when I heard about it. The customer service representatives were mis-informed on the punishment issue, and we're making sure everyone is now on the same page. We're banning players who abused the code no matter the server they are from.

What about the "targeted" compensation efforts for Archosaur only? Is that still happening?

Yes. We are getting everything set up now and verifying that it will go smoothly before we start sending in-game items to players on Archosaur. You can expect yours within the week.

Why is it Archosaur only now, and not all servers, as it was initially, when I missed my chance at the code?

First and foremost, Archosaur players were the ones we've wanted to make sure were compensated for the rollback, to the best of our ability. It was because of the rollback that we started focusing on a compensation campaign. We have 5x EXP going on for Archosaur, something we've never done before, as well as 2x EXP/SP/Drops AND Coin for all servers (also new).

Players on Archosaur now have the opportunity to gain more experience, spirit, drops, etc than they could have during the 3 days lost from the rollback, as these modifiers will be lasting into the next month. All servers were included in this decision because we wanted everyone to feel compensated for November's server connectivity issues as a whole.

(The initial compensation code for 5x HyperEXP Stones is now available for everyone: 3HTYJKE)

Following these initial actions, we still thought that for a rollback, our actions were not great enough. Many players lost refinement and thus power during the rollback, and so giving more exp/sp/drops/coins if you play wouldn't resolve their complaint.

Thus we came up with the compensation code that we all now are aware of.
    Unfortunately, because of it's abuse we've had to cancel the cross-server compensation and refocus back on the initial goal of compensating Archosaur Rollback players.

Is there anything I can receive right now?

We've re-activated the initial compensation code that gives out 5x Hyper EXP Stones to players. It can be used once per account until NOVEMBER 30th

You can redeem it here once per account until NOVEMBER 30th : 3HTYJKE

There is no shouting with this one...

-DoD

Mod edit because it appears people refuse to scroll down enough to read:
    UPDATE:
    We've disabled the code while we investigate the situation of code abuse.

^This is the reason why the code is saying it has expired when you try to enter it!

Hello Perfect World citizens!

We've finalized our compensation efforts for the past month of various issues that have affected many of you this holiday season.

-Redeem the following code to any character on any server for a collection of goodies including bound dragon orbs! The code is redeemable once per account.

6JMMAAB

Code ends on Sunday, November 24th @ 11:59 PM PST

We thank all of you who have stayed with us during these turbulent times, and please continue being awesome!

-PW Team

UPDATE:

UPDATE (11.22.13):
    Here is what I was able to get:

- We will not be rolling back the servers.

- A highly focused and targeted Archosaur-specific compensation effort will be enacted.

- We will be punishing legitimate abusers of the compensation code who received far more than is possible from redemption page lag. We will be doing so in a detailed, focused manner which will make progress on punishments slower but more precise. So do not worry if you are one who got more orbs unintentionally. We do not want to penalize those who did not intend abuse of the system.

Regarding the level of abuse, from the data in front of us, it was not quite as widespread as many believe. It was mostly a few dozen or so who abused the code from means other than lag/timeouts. The perception of it being widespread is due to the unintentional in-game message spam distorting the situation, and nonfactual boasts in the forums or world chat.

This is the reason why there will not be a rollback.

I really hope PWI will try to resolve this issue and that these aren't just words on a page! The way they are handling it *obviously* is making myself and many many other players feel like dirt. Having your tickets about the issue summarily deleted with NO explanation doesn't help make you feel better about it either. I TRIED to enter the code during the time it was active but the server was overwhelmed and I decided to give PWI a break and try again later... WRONG DECISION!! I got burned for it. Lesson learned: being "nice" to PWI doesn't pay, and it is better to try to exploit the game as much as possible because no one really gets punished anyway and the honest people get burned by the GMs / game designers. Would very much like to receive 3 10* orbs or something similar to help me catch up with the players on Heaven's Tear server who received the orbs (many many of them multiple sets) even though they did not have toons on the Archosaur server.
    The name of the thread says it all " Final Compensation ", because for many it was the final straw . A good friend was banned because he was pissed about the orbs and raised a fuss on this thread . Dani got a year ban , while the abusers get two weeks .

Should be changed to 'Final Shaft' or something similar b:cry
  • bladesimage
    bladesimage Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    UPDATE (11.27.13)

Response to a thread in which involves the compensation situation:

UPDATE (11.25.13)

Questions and Answers

What is the punishment for players who blatantly abused the compensation code?

They will be banned.

I heard from Customer Service tickets that you are only banning players who are from Archosaur. Is this true?

No, I was confused about this when I heard about it. The customer service representatives were mis-informed on the punishment issue, and we're making sure everyone is now on the same page. We're banning players who abused the code no matter the server they are from.

What about the "targeted" compensation efforts for Archosaur only? Is that still happening?

Yes. We are getting everything set up now and verifying that it will go smoothly before we start sending in-game items to players on Archosaur. You can expect yours within the week.

Why is it Archosaur only now, and not all servers, as it was initially, when I missed my chance at the code?

First and foremost, Archosaur players were the ones we've wanted to make sure were compensated for the rollback, to the best of our ability. It was because of the rollback that we started focusing on a compensation campaign. We have 5x EXP going on for Archosaur, something we've never done before, as well as 2x EXP/SP/Drops AND Coin for all servers (also new).

Players on Archosaur now have the opportunity to gain more experience, spirit, drops, etc than they could have during the 3 days lost from the rollback, as these modifiers will be lasting into the next month. All servers were included in this decision because we wanted everyone to feel compensated for November's server connectivity issues as a whole.

(The initial compensation code for 5x HyperEXP Stones is now available for everyone: 3HTYJKE)

Following these initial actions, we still thought that for a rollback, our actions were not great enough. Many players lost refinement and thus power during the rollback, and so giving more exp/sp/drops/coins if you play wouldn't resolve their complaint.

Thus we came up with the compensation code that we all now are aware of.
    Unfortunately, because of it's abuse we've had to cancel the cross-server compensation and refocus back on the initial goal of compensating Archosaur Rollback players.

Is there anything I can receive right now?

We've re-activated the initial compensation code that gives out 5x Hyper EXP Stones to players. It can be used once per account until NOVEMBER 30th

You can redeem it here once per account until NOVEMBER 30th : 3HTYJKE

There is no shouting with this one...

-DoD

Mod edit because it appears people refuse to scroll down enough to read:
    UPDATE:

^This is the reason why the code is saying it has expired when you try to enter it!

Hello Perfect World citizens!

We've finalized our compensation efforts for the past month of various issues that have affected many of you this holiday season.

-Redeem the following code to any character on any server for a collection of goodies including bound dragon orbs! The code is redeemable once per account.

6JMMAAB

Code ends on Sunday, November 24th @ 11:59 PM PST

We thank all of you who have stayed with us during these turbulent times, and please continue being awesome!

-PW Team

UPDATE:

UPDATE (11.22.13):
    Here is what I was able to get:

- We will not be rolling back the servers.

- A highly focused and targeted Archosaur-specific compensation effort will be enacted.

- We will be punishing legitimate abusers of the compensation code who received far more than is possible from redemption page lag. We will be doing so in a detailed, focused manner which will make progress on punishments slower but more precise. So do not worry if you are one who got more orbs unintentionally. We do not want to penalize those who did not intend abuse of the system.

Regarding the level of abuse, from the data in front of us, it was not quite as widespread as many believe. It was mostly a few dozen or so who abused the code from means other than lag/timeouts. The perception of it being widespread is due to the unintentional in-game message spam distorting the situation, and nonfactual boasts in the forums or world chat.

This is the reason why there will not be a rollback.

I'm still seeing players running around my server who used the glitch for 20+ orbs. So who did you guys really go after? People with 50+ orbs?

Just rollback every server or keep your word and punish those who abused this glitch , not just some. b:angry
  • Mweya - Heavens Tear
    Mweya - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    danilco wrote: »
    3 weeks ago there D.Orb Happened. They said Big things are coming in Dec. Soooo
    You Lied to us on top of giving all the Abusers of the game a BIG reward for being Abusers. GJ PW Your really on top of things.

I gave you 3 weeks to fix this and you have done NOTHING not even one D.Orb for none abusers! This tells my you care more about the Scum of the Earth then the Good ppl!

Why Not Ban all the ppl who did not abuse the code!! Because they are starting to BAN themselves it looks like.

Not true, they have done something!

They deleted our tickets.
    i heard a rumor today that this whole fiasco was just to get rid of non cash shoppers

I'm a cash shopper!

And its getting rid of me b:cry

I am still playing but maybe I should stop? b:surrender
    Well think about it this way. Yeah it doesnt seem fair first look. But heres the thing...

Say for instance, thats true, then i doubt its actually pple who spent a measly 20$. Even 50$ is questionable if i had to make such a 'choice' as a GM. If spenditure is actually a factor, then the odds are high that these high spending people have already gotten any serious characters they play, well past +10 refines. Not only that the characters themselves have to have bound gear which requires 1)cashshop item 2)ingame bound gear thats relatively high to begin with. Basically these are they guys that could have done it anyway without the glitch. They spent money, but they also save a bit this time.

Now then we have the other player, who spent virtually nothing and then abused the code... literally free stuff. (and no i dont include merchants here cause they are also self sufficient like shoppers)

I as a player, if i had to choose 1 of two evils, id rather have a cashshopper get a hold of those orbs. Why? Cause they actually help fund the company. (if u put it in a clean way) Its not to say non spenders are bad. But in a relatively simple way, spenders give back to the community at the least. They pay for the services, some of us take for granted free.
    They did get punishment, but i think its also fair that the punishment for shoppers and freeloaders are not equal.

That's not a fair analysis. I am a cash shopper, have been playing for 5 years, and I don't have a single piece of equipment refined past +8

This thing hurt cash shoppers more than non cash shoppers because we who support the game and did not have an opportunity to abuse the 10* thing got set back relative to career non-cash shopper PWI exploiters
    There is no sense in complaining about it any more. They had their reasons for what they did. If you don't like the result, vote with your wallet and take your money elsewhere. If you aren't a paying player there are tons of other F2P games out there.

I didn't use the code and lots of other people didn't get a chance, but I put most of the blame the fact that some people got tremendous numbers of orbs on PWI. They could have done what they did the second time around and mailed everyone who was online during the affected period 3 orbs or something similar. They could have added a 1-time-use quest to an npc that gave all the same rewards, then given out a code that awards you some item required to complete the quest (then getting 50 mails with the same item wouldn't be of any use).

I doubt they can *really* be certain who abused the code and who got tons of orbs because of redeem page "lag". If the page can't be trusted to send out rewards correctly, do you really think that it logged everything correctly?

I'm looking around for another MMORPG. Only thing keeping me here is not wanting to throw away the toons I've developed over the years of playing. Depending on how PWI resolves / not resolves this will determine if I continue to play / cashshop in the future.
  • _SoulSin_ - Archosaur
    _SoulSin_ - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Should be changed to 'Final Shaft' or something similar b:cry
    or 'Santa gave me 700 orbs'
    from that recent one out there b:chuckle

That's not a fair analysis. I am a cash shopper, have been playing for 5 years, and I don't have a single piece of equipment refined past +8
    that is the saddest thing i have heard in a while :(((
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • MissCherie - Harshlands
    MissCherie - Harshlands Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options

You are not a big c$er or you have no idea how to spend money.
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    Linc - Raging Tide Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So I heard that if you like your +10 ocean orbs, then you get to KEEP your +10 Ocean Orbs . . . . .

f:leer f:naughty f:sneaky
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
    From Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
This discussion has been closed.