Another update where we got pooed on...

Comments

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Um...Purge has become the only reason the class is still playable.

When archers got Lunar bow was about the time I was barely hitting buffed robes for 1k with the +10 Lunar. Robe hp was like 10k buffed.

Now comes R999, and I hit ~2k on buffed jade robes unless Purge, but robe HP is like 20k buffed now.

Really you think Purge is so great...if the reason it's great is because it makes a **** class actually able to kill buffed people at endgame, I guess you can call it pretty OP, but the class itself...lol. I hear ignorant robe **** talk all day long about how much they want Purge...yeah it's because they'd one shot everything when it's added to a class that can already do damage.

Stealth, Leap, and buffs to Bloodvow and Awaken was necessary because the class sucked, plain and simple. Also, with new Morai skills for other classes adding more disables and even position shifts, it was necessary to have new skills to deal with all the ****. It's not like other classes got nothing and archers got Leap and Stealth or something.

Every update is one where archer's situation doesn't change much, and only keeps up with the BS. This particular update just looks like archers get **** on completely with the heavy damage added to many other classes.

Sure archers are one shotting crappy geared people left and right, but what endgame class doesn't do that? Are endgame melees complaining because one shots are running away from them before they can get one shot or something?

How about the fact that Any melee end game can not one shot "left and right" (as you put it) they have to chase people down first, then they can one shot the ones who are badly geared. /o\

Also I am definitely not saying that archer's nor casters should have to sit there and take an absurd amount of hits (something that a melee does have to contend with quite frequently) it's crazy when it seems like 5 near end game caster/archers would have a significantly easier time taking down any true END game melee, but that doesn't seem to be the case when the roles are reversed. (Granted an archer wouldn't stand anywhere near the chance as the lone melee or caster, they still have greater potential to kill the near end game melees/casters thanks to purge, and even skills that allow them to hit both melee and magical... and the fact that they can start hitting before they even get near the archer. Still they would be worse off in a scenario like 5 melees/casters on the archer... still though their range/being able to hit others without worry of someone running away as much/the chance at purge gives them a slight edge over the melees/casters. Albeit only a little.

Also I am not saying that archers/casters should die in one hit to a melee, but still when it tend to take just 1 near endgame caster to mop the floor with a near endgame melee... but tends takes a good 2-3 near endgame melee to 'gank' the caster to prevent running or to actually kill the caster there is something wrong with that picture imho.

----

So annoyed with these long *** posts, (of mine) I wouldn't be surprised if a significant amount of people are just ignoring my posts/points I have been bringing up. Heck I am fairly sure some of you already have.

In other words this 'debate' is really exhausting.

*runs in circles*
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just lower the interval on bows by about 0.2 or so b:avoid
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You cannot honestly look at this from a damage per second perspective and tell me classes just spam basic spells and base attacks at each other until one side dies. I have yet to see a Psy kill endgame people with Aqua + Impact spam. Too bad only AFK people stand around to take auto hits for 8s.

Other classes have options available to them to spike harder than the typical basic damage hits. Other classes also have the skills necessary, whether it be disables, debuffs, mobility skills, or amps, to try to output the necessary spikes.

At the end of the day, archers just have base attack and long channeling Metal skills as far as damage goes. There are archer skills that channel long as well, but does barely more than base damage.

How do you explain the archer skills that channel for 3+ seconds and doesn't even hit harder than Divine Pyro?

Try to kill everyone endgame with Pyro Gush, then you will understand what it's like. Don't even think about genie spark or heavier nukes. Disables, Undine, then Pyro Gush.

This isn't even mentioning damage on the triple buffed robes, but whatever.

The majority of the time it's simply not possible for wiz/psy/mystic/venos to go for DPH. The chances of one-shotting or even charm bypassing a fully buffed archer is extremely low. You notice it when it happens b/c it seems OP, but more times than not we have to kill by DPS or wasting a crapton of sparks on one target (which over half the time they just AD/WoG), then having to wait until we get 2+ sparks again just to be even remotely useful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver
    Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Defense buff definitely needs to come in now...
    We're by far the squishiest class. There's literally no other class that can be full +12 JoSD and be 1 shot except for maybe a psychic? But even then their defensive self buff takes a royal dump on ours.

It's about time we got a real evasion buff like focused mind or tidal protection, got some update to all skills in terms of amping damage to make up for lack of purge on most skills (because quite frankly it's just gotten to the point where all archers are good for is ranged purge and auto attack) or maybe just an update to the purge proc to let it proc on debuffing skills.

I hardly play this game anymore purely because nothing good is being done for the archer class - it's become very dull.

Dude plz....... u have 40 meter range + OP stealth ability with ability to pop detect apo in stalth + 1shot ability + purge ability + friggin Wings of Grace AND u want a tidal protection buff? did I throw in crit buff s of over 70% perma crit for both sage(60% + 20% from QS) and demon? (60% + 15% from STA & stuning arrow) and leap left leap right?

Ur crying that the Morai update didt do anything for u? before morai update all u could do was WoG and pray u don't get immobilized after it runs out, now u have option to leap away from dmg (which increase ur own dmg in most cases) or stealth and feel OP then leap away. oh and u also got a sealing skill.....bet u forgot that 1.....

Compare sins for example with last update.....what did we get?......peek in ur bag for pvp? drop me some DQ items? share the stealth for 5 measly seconds which takes about 2 seconds to cast? or the DoT which doesn't do too much dmg?

Archers under any situation is easily the most balanced class and can be easily seen as OP....granted that Seekers are in the same boat of balanced and almost OP, thank got the don't have 40 meter range OR PURGE AWAY ALL BUFFS

b:byeb:byeb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited October 2013
    Um...Purge has become the only reason the class is still playable.

When archers got Lunar bow was about the time I was barely hitting buffed robes for 1k with the +10 Lunar. Robe hp was like 10k buffed.

Now comes R999, and I hit ~2k on buffed jade robes unless Purge, but robe HP is like 20k buffed now.

Also one more thing I wanna point out is, while robe's hp doubled, the damage you did per shot also doubled, which results in the same overall dps, just with higher numbers. But what else? You also upgraded your APS slightly, and gained something like 20% crit rate...in addition to an upgraded chance to proc purge, as well as buffs to your 100 skills since then. If anything, you should be killing robes even faster than when you had +10 lunar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If anything, you should be killing robes even faster than when you had +10 lunar.

Killing robes faster when they have 25k pdef self-buffed in addition to purify spell? Yeah right. You're also forgetting that the new spirit of defense pots makes it easier than ever to recover from purge. One click and you've got full buffs again. Sure it puts apoth on CD but with purify spell casters aren't nearly as reliant on apoth for survival as they used to be.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    Fae_Harpy - Archosaur Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dude plz....... u have 40 meter range + OP stealth ability with ability to pop detect apo in stalth + 1shot ability + purge ability + friggin Wings of Grace AND u want a tidal protection buff? did I throw in crit buff s of over 70% perma crit for both sage(60% + 20% from QS) and demon? (60% + 15% from STA & stuning arrow) and leap left leap right?

Ur crying that the Morai update didt do anything for u? before morai update all u could do was WoG and pray u don't get immobilized after it runs out, now u have option to leap away from dmg (which increase ur own dmg in most cases) or stealth and feel OP then leap away. oh and u also got a sealing skill.....bet u forgot that 1.....

Compare sins for example with last update.....what did we get?......peek in ur bag for pvp? drop me some DQ items? share the stealth for 5 measly seconds which takes about 2 seconds to cast? or the DoT which doesn't do too much dmg?

Archers under any situation is easily the most balanced class and can be easily seen as OP....granted that Seekers are in the same boat of balanced and almost OP, thank got the don't have 40 meter range OR PURGE AWAY ALL BUFFS

b:byeb:byeb:bye

You think archer stealth is "OP". What part of it, may I ask? You must mean that wonder speed nerf that goes along with it, yes it's wonderful. Walking at half the speed of snail makes every class fantastic. It's like walking when you have 1 FPS and 2000 ping. Sure you can stealth then leap, nothing like using all your skills at once so everything is in cooldown. b:infuriated

And since everyone can't seem to get this I will have to say it again:

PURGE IS NOT AN ARCHER SKILL

We are not talking about weapons and gear, we are talking about skills. So stop dragging purge into the argument. Not every single archer has a purge bow. Also when it comes to it, in group PvP you can give me any class that is rrr9 +12 JOSD/Deity and my cat could walk across the keyboard and kill 10 people. When you have gear that powerful it is total overkill.

What happened is all the people that cash shopped their gear quickly (without learning how to play their class) got so used to being able to 1 hit everyone, but now that more and more people have the same gear as them they are finding that having the gear alone no longer cuts it. So then they start talking about how some class are more OP then others. But when you look at the actual skills available to said class, it's not true at all.

But let's actually look at archer gear, light armor is the worst armor in the game. It has middle road physical and elemental defense, and we have NO self buffs of any kind to make up for the inadequacies of our gear (just an evasion/speed buff). Our range that everyone is QQing about is the only thing we have to make up for our **** gear. An archer plays the role of a sniper, we have to kill you before you reach us, because if you get to us, we are dead.

When you look at archer skills (just the skills, over the top gear has nothing to do with it) compared to what other classes have received in past updates, archer skills are sub par.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I looked to the stars, my aim true.
    Heart peirced, the light flowed.
    And from the dust of Sagittarrius,
    I crafted a bow.
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    You think archer stealth is "OP". What part of it, may I ask? You must mean that wonder speed nerf that goes along with it, yes it's wonderful. Walking at half the speed of snail makes every class fantastic. It's like walking when you have 1 FPS and 2000 ping. Sure you can stealth then leap, nothing like using all your skills at once so everything is in cooldown. b:infuriated

And since everyone can't seem to get this I will have to say it again:

PURGE IS NOT AN ARCHER SKILL

yet how many archers keep acting like its the worse proc out there? EACH proc has it's weaknesses, and it's strength. Though it is true just because something has it weaknesses/strengths it doesn't mean it isn't in some major need of change. still once it procs... it is bad news for the person on the wrong end of it.

We are not talking about weapons and gear, we are talking about skills. So stop dragging purge into the argument. Not every single archer has a purge bow. Also when it comes to it, in group PvP you can give me any class that is rrr9 +12 JOSD/Deity and my cat could walk across the keyboard and kill 10 people. When you have gear that powerful it is total overkill.

EDIT:That statement is so very wrong... its a lot harder to kill 10 ppl than just button smashing. Even for casters/archers who have the SUPERIOR range + damage.... also thats not even mentioning how hard it would be to get a melee to 10 somewhat competent people, and actually kill them even with that type of gear.

What happened is all the people that cash shopped their gear quickly (without learning how to play their class) got so used to being able to 1 hit everyone, but now that more and more people have the same gear as them they are finding that having the gear alone no longer cuts it. So then they start talking about how some class are more OP then others. But when you look at the actual skills available to said class, it's not true at all.

But let's actually look at archer gear, light armor is the worst armor in the game. It has middle road physical and elemental defense, and we have NO self buffs of any kind to make up for the inadequacies of our gear (just an evasion/speed buff). Our range that everyone is QQing about is the only thing we have to make up for our **** gear. An archer plays the role of a sniper, we have to kill you before you reach us, because if you get to us, we are dead.

When you look at archer skills (just the skills, over the top gear has nothing to do with it) compared to what other classes have received in past updates, archer skills are sub par.

A melee often has to deal with the gank, and they can't kill anywhere near as easily as archers. Ergo Think of what subpar geared melees have to go through to even land an attack... and even... oh wait I said this already.... meh **** it..... I'm done here.

Nothing you, or any of the other archers have said has changed my stance/mind about it, and the same goes for me/others on my side of the fence so to speak. Until you or another archer can convince me they TRULY need more defensive options and not have an advantage that no melee has, my mind will stay the same.

At this point I think it's best we follow this wise statement, Lets just agree to disagree.

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am not saying I disagree with you; HOWEVER, welcome to the world of a bm (more the under-geared ones)... except you all have ranged to help you all along, which allow you all a lot more opportunities to cause mayhem, sure you may not be able to kill, but at least you all have better chances at it than a bm. Not to mention you all definitely have a chance to not be ganked every time you attack, which further allows you more flexibility with getting gear. (EDIT: Sure the range advantage may not be all that awesome for you casters/archers, but still it is quite an intangible factor towards meleers... a useful intangible at that.)

No ONE likes to be hammered before they have any time to react to what's going on, regardless of what class they are on, but still the fact is that most classes have a chance to at least do something more than just taking a single hit or two. It is far easier for a archer/caster to avoid getting ganked, making their gear come into play a lot less. Whereas melee's who are under-geared they pay for it DEARLY... granted barbs, and sins both have a way to ignore that the fact that the may have sub par gear assuming they are played correctly... (shields for the barbs, deaden nerves, stealth, focused mind, etc for the sins), sure bm's could to, but they would HAVE to use apo.

Meh I don't like this conversation/the fact that I keep disagreeing/pointing out the arguable flaws with the points being brought up. D:

---

It's hard to know if people are saying someone's logic fails because they're in disagreement/can't see things on the opposite side of theirs... or if logic really is failing to be in any part of either arguments.

I'm not downplaying the usefulness of range. I've played multiple games and not always with a ranged class, so I know that getting a few extra skills off while someone is getting to you is innately useful. The problem, then, happens when it becomes a battle of ranged DDs, or a problem of melees picking which ranged DD to hit. Archers are the only physical based ranged DD. Because of the way the armors work in this game, all the ranged classes have resistance against each other EXCEPT ARCHERS. This means when ranged classes are throwing skills at each other, archers already have a disadvantage. And then, when you as a melee pick targets, would you rather hit a ranged class with lots of CCs and/or the ability to proc something that purifies them and makes them immune to CCs? Or would you hit the target that has lower defenses, has the potential to purge you if ignored, has really crappy CCs, and does half damage at melee range? I have good faith in your decision making abilities, so I will assume you picked the latter.

A good BM will always be useful and invaluable, but I don't think BMs as a whole are overpowered in any way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    I'm not downplaying the usefulness of range. I've played multiple games and not always with a ranged class, so I know that getting a few extra skills off while someone is getting to you is innately useful. The problem, then, happens when it becomes a battle of ranged DDs, or a problem of melees picking which ranged DD to hit. Archers are the only physical based ranged DD. Because of the way the armors work in this game, all the ranged classes have resistance against each other EXCEPT ARCHERS. This means when ranged classes are throwing skills at each other, archers already have a disadvantage. And then, when you as a melee pick targets, would you rather hit a ranged class with lots of CCs and/or the ability to proc something that purifies them and makes them immune to CCs? Or would you hit the target that has lower defenses, has the potential to purge you if ignored, has really crappy CCs, and does half damage at melee range? I have good faith in your decision making abilities, so I will assume you picked the latter.

A good BM will always be useful and invaluable, but I don't think BMs as a whole are overpowered in any way.

I can't disagree with anything you said. EXCEPT... maybe that seekers are physical ranged DD as well, only they have more haxed armor/often hit harder than most archers.

Arguably just another reason/example why I (<-- keyword) feel archers do NOT need a defensive boost... but.... yea I can see why some might use that as an example as why they need a boost. (Which quite francly would be a bad example for that side of the argument, but yea that could easily just be my nab opinion. :P

• Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    Aeliah - Dreamweaver Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok guys, get this. I have an idea which might just satisfy you all. Feel free to offer suggestions to how this might be tweaked.

I get it: archers want to be able to avoid charm-bypassing hits a little bit better. Other classes DO have better chances to do this (its generally what they get instead of purge...yes, I realize both are deadly in their own way, and I've already explained which classes tend to worry about which more).

My basic problem with giving an archer too much defense is that they'll become way too hard to kill while maintaining the deadliness of a ranged purge.

But after further consideration, I think that it might be possible to give archers something defensive, as long as they *lose* some of their offense. The idea came to me after reading some comments about how well clerics got treated (we give up support to get an advantage in offense). What if we did the reverse for archers?

Tell me if this is brilliant or not:

Skill name: Shield Mode
    Cooldown: 15seconds
    Chi cost: none
    Description: You choose to defend rather than attack. Shield mode increases max hp by 10% and defense level from 10-20, depending on soul force. While in this form, attack speed is slowed by 100% and physical attack is decreased by 100% of weapon damage.

another idea just now:

Skill name: Skill mode
    Cooldown: 15s
    Description: Pan gu lends strength to your bow. All skill damage is increased by 100% of weapon attack. While in this mode, attack speed is reduced by 50%.

or even this:

Skill name: Soul shield
    Cooldown: 1 minute
    Chi cost: 50
    Description: Temper your rage with a strong heart. Soul shield reduces all incoming damage by 20% for 10 seconds. For 20 seconds, your attack rate is reduced by by 25%, and special weapon abilities cannot activate.

Naturally the #s behind these suggested skills would need tweaking to ensure they aren't too weak/strong. But you get the basic idea behind these suggestions. If archers want more defense, ask them to give up some offense. Skills of these nature I could agree too.
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
    youtube.com/user/csquaredcsquared

CLERIC PV GUIDE (complete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1531411

CLERIC PK GUIDE (Incomplete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18027931
  • HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    With how archer class work, only one of the suggestions, which wasnt completely **** was the 3rd and even that would be situational at best. Actually scratch that, the trade-off would be worth it on it so rarely archer would be using it barely ever. Only situation for those is getting ganked if they are insta cast.

Due missing the overhaul on skill damage, archers have to rely on auto-attacks to kill people. Difference in dps is so large you will never see archer skill spam anything but metal skills for magic damage. Reducing your own attack speed drastically with said fact drastically reduces archers killing potential. If you dont absolutely need said defenses to live getting ganked, skill becomes completely useless. With long CD, short duration, longer debuff than buff, even at insta cast the skill had few and rare uses.

Ultimately in all suggestion the trade-off you give is far more valuable than the gain. Making said skills marginal skills as they are quite situational, useful only on very specific set of factors.

Archers want and require decent defensive buff, being the only class that lacks one. At purge every other class can cast something to regain some defenses, archers really cant, crappy evasion buff doesnt count. Suppose sins cant but they got 2 self buffs that are far more powerful than anybody is really asking for.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok guys, get this. I have an idea which might just satisfy you all. Feel free to offer suggestions to how this might be tweaked.

I get it: archers want to be able to avoid charm-bypassing hits a little bit better. Other classes DO have better chances to do this (its generally what they get instead of purge...yes, I realize both are deadly in their own way, and I've already explained which classes tend to worry about which more).

My basic problem with giving an archer too much defense is that they'll become way too hard to kill while maintaining the deadliness of a ranged purge.

But after further consideration, I think that it might be possible to give archers something defensive, as long as they *lose* some of their offense. The idea came to me after reading some comments about how well clerics got treated (we give up support to get an advantage in offense). What if we did the reverse for archers?

Tell me if this is brilliant or not:

Skill name: Shield Mode
    Cooldown: 15seconds
    Description: You choose to defend rather than attack. Shield mode increases max hp by 10% and defense level from 10-20, depending on soul force. While in this form, attack speed is slowed by 100% and physical attack is decreased by 100% of weapon damage.

Please tell me this is a joke? This is called putting on an R8R bow with an omalleys just without the cast time.

another idea just now:

Skill name: Skill mode
    Cooldown: 15s
    Description: Pan gu lends strength to your bow. All skill damage is increased by 100% of weapon attack. While in this mode, attack speed is reduced by 50%.

Genuinely cracking up right now
    or even this:

Skill name: Soul shield
    Cooldown: 1 minute
    Chi cost: 50
    Description: Temper your rage with a strong heart. Soul shield reduces all incoming damage by 20% for 10 seconds. For 20 seconds, your attack rate is reduced by by 25%, and special weapon abilities cannot activate.

Why would you choose to cast this over our amazing anti stun WOG?

Naturally the #s behind these suggested skills would need tweaking to ensure they aren't too weak/strong. But you get the basic idea behind these suggestions. If archers want more defense, ask them to give up some offense. Skills of these nature I could agree too.

Again - seems like you've completely missed the point. Please get off this subforum and go back to yours, you're just making a fool of yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
  • Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    *shrug*

Greedy buggers gonna get whats coming to them.

Have fun with your pity party.
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

• Dylena - Raging Tide
    Dylena - Raging Tide Posts: 1,416 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When playing something as powerful as a cleric dying to something wimpy like an archer makes em look incredibly OP. I mean clerics are probably one of the tankiest class on the game and they have the ability to heal and their damage isn't even low, can buff their crit rate on a player even tho they are a healing class.

Those greedy archers, someday..they're gonna get whats coming for them...all that greed. *shrugs*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The reason Skill Mode is sad is because there is already a skill just like it that is better. It's called Deep Chill. Or maybe it's because no one wants a dirty cleric to tell them what they should get. -.^

Here's what a balance update should look like:

Attack Animation:
    Reduce front swing animation so an archer can shoot and run easier.

Take Aim:
    Make a fully charged Take Aim never miss.

Vicious/Serrated:
    Reduce cooldown by 7s so you can stack bleeds if given the chance, since PW apparently wants archers to be the DoT class.

Stormrage:
    4.4m - 8m AOE based on level progression.

Aim Low:
    100% chance to Paralyze up from 90%, it's **** to have the chance to both miss and not work when it costs a spark.

Whisper Shot:
    Increase cast range to ranged rather than 18m.

Knockback Arrow:
    Interrupt players on hit

Deadly Shot:
    Add 100% weapon damage
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited October 2013
    What they should do that would make everything actually *balanceable*, is to just make procs tweakable simply by changing values.

Change Purify to a stat that gives -25% stun duration. You can change this from 1-100% based on how much balance casters need. Then, give them a proc that gives them a chance to cast holy path with every hit.

Next, put "buff pierce" stats on weapon engraves. It gives 25% armor/m. res penetration from armor/m res given by buffs. Give all bows a natural inherent buff pierce, say 30%, but then remove spirit blackhole. This makes it so archers can easily get 55% buff pierce w/ engrave. Now balance w/e archer skills are needed, or tweak buff pierce values.

I think God of Frenzy is fine the way it is. Melees need zerk crits to actually kill something, and it's simply their style of play, tbh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Valirah - Sanctuary
    Valirah - Sanctuary Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The reason Skill Mode is sad is because there is already a skill just like it that is better. It's called Deep Chill. Or maybe it's because no one wants a dirty cleric to tell them what they should get. -.^

Attack Animation:

Take Aim:

Vicious/Serrated:
    Reduce cooldown by 7s so you can stack bleeds if given the chance, since PW apparently wants archers to be the DoT class.

Stormrage:

Aim Low:
    100% chance to Paralyze up from 90%, it's **** to have the chance to both miss and not work when it costs a spark.

Whisper Shot:

Knockback Arrow:
    Interrupt players on hit

Deadly Shot:
    Add 100% weapon damage

This.

I don't feel archers really need a defense buff, as long as they get more options on offense. Buff up the skills no one uses to a point where there are actual choices to be made.

I'd like to see Arrow Inferno made usable. Channel down to 1 sec (from 3.1), duration up to 60 seconds (from 30). It's an interesting skill but doesn't last long enough to warrant giving up 4 seconds and a spark to launch it.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited October 2013

Attack Animation:

Take Aim:

Vicious/Serrated:

Stormrage:

Aim Low:

Whisper Shot:

Knockback Arrow:
    Interrupt players on hit

Deadly Shot:
    Add 100% weapon damage

All these changes sound reasonable except for Aim Low. EVERY class has to deal with chances. Badge of courage for genie, Thicket for mystics...even wizard's 2 spark 5-second channel stun skill can fail.

Think of it as you were intending to aim low, but suddenly had a rare brain **** and aimed high instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    All these changes sound reasonable except for Aim Low. EVERY class has to deal with chances. Badge of courage for genie, Thicket for mystics...even wizard's 2 spark 5-second channel stun skill can fail.

Think of it as you were intending to aim low, but suddenly had a rare brain **** and aimed high instead.

And MS is an AoE. 95% stun plus high damage, plus AoE, plus the fact that, as magic, it never misses? Yeah a 5% chance of the stun failing seems fair. Thicket has the same perks of being magic, high damage, and it does both the seal and freeze.

And it's a bit silly you're comparing 2spark skills to a 1spark one but even with that into account.... Aim Low won't ever activate a weapon proc from an archer, can fail, can miss, costs a spark, and does not deal significant damage. You'll find that the skills with a chance to fail their procs even at max level are all skills that either have a low chi cost, deal high damage, have the "proc" as a bonus to the skill at level 11 (IE: Sage DB), are AoEs, or qualify for more than one of the above.

So yes, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a single target 1 spark skill that deals no significant damage to not have the only thing you'd ever actually use it for (because if you don't feel you need the freeze as an archer you will not be using aim low) actually work all the time instead of have a chance to fail on top of the chance it already has to miss. Heck, even the AoE stun of Mountain Seize has a lower chance to fail than Aim Low's freeze... and that's before considering that Aim Low can miss!

The big issue archers have is that their skills are kinda sorta horribad overall for various reasons and so they're forced to rely primarily on auto-attack. If they had skills worth using, their defense wouldn't be something that they worried about being as lackluster as it currently is because they'd at least have plenty of offensive options to rely on instead of hoping the RNG was on their side for any particular engagement with equal gears and skill. Seeing how recent updates have been greatly buffing the offensive abilities of other classes and... adjusting archer DoTs from being a waste of time to being a waste of time, is it really any wonder why archers aren't exactly happy about this?
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    Please note even though I am bringing up these point's it doesn't mean I disagree with the skill changes Quil, came up with; however, for the record I agree with the point burnout brought up.
    OPKossy wrote: »
    And MS is an AoE. 100% stun plus high damage, plus AoE, plus the fact that, as magic, it never misses? Yeah a 5% chance of the stun failing seems fair. Thicket has the same perks of being magic, high damage, and it does both the seal and freeze.

And it's a bit silly you're comparing 2spark skills to a 1spark one but even with that into account.... Aim Low won't ever activate a weapon proc from an archer, can fail, can miss, costs a spark, and does not deal significant damage. You'll find that the skills with a chance to fail their procs even at max level are all skills that either have a low chi cost, deal high damage, have the "proc" as a bonus to the skill at level 11 (IE: Sage DB), are AoEs, or qualify for more than one of the above.

Two sparks has always been greater than 1, so I for one feel it is a very fair comparison. It seems so wrong that a skill that costs 2 sparks to use CAN miss, especially for us meleers. At least if a 1 spark skill misses/doesn't proc it is far easier to regain the chi back up due to it missing/not procing.

Even a bm's hf/gs CAN miss albeit it's quite rare, oh and they can each be purified off of whoever it's on, (not to mention the purify proc on caster weapons) and they kind of don't hit for very much all that often... at least they certainly don't have the ability to one shot their opponents... so it missing even rarely is just wrong. (EDIT: Also I am not saying they should... one shot their opponent but being so easy to miss/make it go away with little to no effort is just... plain wrong.) OH AND... AND... AND... AND... WAIT FOR IT.... AND the meleer HAS to get up close to even try to use their skills. (Edit:) All while trying to withstand the hits from the ranged/mage class... having to chase one down, then another, while taking hits from 2 people with their natural advantage + superior damage is NOT fun whatsoever for a meleer who can't really withstand the hits even from just 1 caster/ranger.

So yea... if anything 2 spark skills shouldn't be missing at all period before any 1 spark skill.. sure the 1 spark skills do FAR less damage, but still... the chi usage can be quite vital for certain classes... and if they miss/the chains get broken there is little to no chi left to redo things thanks to the excessive amount of chi consumed for a skill that missed, or almost immediately gets purified off/made to go bye bye in the blink of an eye. (again I realize hf can miss, but it so isn't the only skill I am thinking of.) The point I am/was trying to make there is that archers aren't the only one that has to deal with their skills being practically useless thanks to a certain proc/the own skills lack of procing/being used to its full potential.

So yes, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a single target 1 spark skill that deals no significant damage to not have the only thing you'd ever actually use it for (because if you don't feel you need the freeze as an archer you will not be using aim low) actually work all the time instead of have a chance to fail on top of the chance it already has to miss. Heck, even the AoE stun of Mountain Seize has a lower chance to fail than Aim Low's freeze... and that's before considering that Aim Low can miss!

Not in my honest opinion... just look at the points I brought up in my previous paragraph.

The big issue archers have is that their skills are kinda sorta horribad overall for various reasons and so they're forced to rely primarily on auto-attack. If they had skills worth using, their defense wouldn't be something that they worried about being as lackluster as it currently is because they'd at least have plenty of offensive options to rely on instead of hoping the RNG was on their side for any particular engagement with equal gears and skill. Seeing how recent updates have been greatly buffing the offensive abilities of other classes and... adjusting archer DoTs from being a waste of time to being a waste of time, is it really any wonder why archers aren't exactly happy about this?

Again with someone who seems to be completely ignoring what any melee has to go through.

EDIT: For the record. I was completely out of line so to speak in saying this, I am sorry OPKossy. (See below posts)

There isn't really any melee skills that has others just really shaking in their boots so to speak. Oh and they also have to get up near others to even begin trying to attack people with their skills. (Sure bm, sins, and barbs have a FEW (<-- KEYWORD!) ranged skills, but nothing that makes any of them even slightly worthwhile to use in mass pvp.)

You don't see many melees complaining about the lack of power, or defensive abilities of their class, (one class has practically NONE viable offensive skill, nor defensive... and yet it is so ridiculous hard to show how much truth there is behind it, yes many of you know which class I am talking about... if you want to discuss that with me may I suggest you bring it up over here? So we can avoid that talk here in this thread.... so not looking forward to some of the inevitable discussions this in ALL likelihood will bring up, but meh better there, than here.) maybe this is because they aren't anywhere near as passionate about it as the ones who are, that or they didn't see the class in the same light as the one who is complaining (which happens often, and as is with any class... no class is immune to its fair share of complainers.)

THOUGH!

There is one more possibility. Remember when the aps craze was in full 'craze' mode, casters, and other melees alike went to the two main classes for apsing, and that is bm's and sins, in other words they got with the times, they adapted to the times to 'survive'/continue to play this game and enjoy it to an extent. (Sure it wasn't fair what happened to casters during that time... but in this day and age, the roles have become quite the opposite, where melees are shunned by just about everyone who is actually still playing) This game is full of people who adapt with the times and go with the class they feel is the most effective money maker/the one they feel the most relaxed on, and while it's true casters/arches aren't earning more than meleers, it undoubtedly feels like the ones who have that natural range advantage... are having a lot more fun when they're actually able to be a nuisance to everyone. Whereas melees are often lucky to be able to land even a SINGLE hit, and even when they do it tends to be such a ridiculously low amount, it just leaves another bad taster in the meleers mouth.

^ That is so what I feel has happened, those who are left/has been here through all the changes are the ones who have adapted to the times, and more or less accepted how the game has turned out for their previous 'favorite' class, and then there are people like me who has adapted, but refuses to accept that their previous favorite class is no longer a decent factor in pretty much anywhere these days. The purify proc really ruined game play for many meleers/bms. Even if it has it's weaknesses.

EDIT:I realize not everyone did that, but quite a few people did. (Went ahead and rerolled to the class(es) that was being favored/more 'fun' to be on)

EDIT: In that respect I am a lot like those casters/archers who adapted but also refused to accept the way the game was back when everything revolved around apsing. (It wasn't as effective in mass pvp as some people seem to want to make it out to be, but aye it was effective.... it certainly wasn't capable of soloing 20 vs 1 battles... or at least no where near as much as a caster does these days.)

• FaceRolI - Sanctuary
    FaceRolI - Sanctuary Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stuff lots of stuff
    you could just go bow master, or roll an archer.

SweetieBot, analyze this thread! Thank you.
    full r999 91% chan wizzy b:kiss

Current build: pwcalc.com/bf1f46790766e26d
    LuLz: pwcalc.com/20f3fa96ab3c4dc0
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stuff

No one cares about your inferiority complex. Can we not...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited October 2013

SweetieBot has finished reading the thread: Another update where we got pooed on...!

General Stats:
    First Post: 10-18-2013
    Last Post: 10-26-2013
    Thread Lifetime: 9 days
    Total Posts: 233
    Average Posts Per Day: 25.9

Activity:
    Thread Activity

Top 20 Frequent Posters (count):
    Aeliah - Dreamweaver (23)
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver (22)
    Quilue - Sanctuary (20)
    Burnout - Harshlands (20)
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide (17)
    Saethos - Raging Tide (12)
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver (11)
    Eoria - Harshlands (9)
    Asterelle - Sanctuary (9)
    DionDagger - Dreamweaver (8)
    RankNine - Momaganon (8)
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur (7)
    BungaSakura - Raging Tide (7)
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary (6)
    Jarkhen - Archosaur (6)
    Heartz - Dreamweaver (5)
    Astraelys - Raging Tide (4)
    FaceRolI - Sanctuary (4)
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear (3)
    WnbTank - Archosaur (3)

Writing Stats:
    Total Words: 54204
    Total Sentences: 3747
    Average Words per Post: 232.6
    Average Words per Sentence: 14.5
    Average Sentences per Post: 16.1
    Average Syllables per Word: 1.4
    Average Letters per Word: 4.3

Most Used Words (count): (common words excluded)
    Word Cloud
    archers (437)
    damage (370)
    archer (355)
    purge (299)
    class (252)
    skills (209)
    skill (176)
    classes (173)
    proc (128)
    range (128)

Most Used 3-Word Phrases (count):
    "the fact that (34)"
    "the archer class (19)"
    "the ability to (19)"
    Most Used 4-Word Phrases (count):
    "have a chance to (10)"
    "most of the time (9)"
    "to be able to (9)"
    Most Used 5-Word Phrases (count):
    "every class can purge every (5)"
    "make it out to be (5)"
    "to give up some of (5)"

This took me 9.6 s to finish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    you could just go bow master, or roll an archer.

Nah archers dont have it anywhere near as easy as a caster, but they still have range on their side, and superior damage to that of melees. EDIT: I will not buy into that bs about but meleers have more hp/their gear refine for more hp. Whether you all like it or not that range + superior damage plays quite the role in mass pvp, and is quite the advantage over any melee. (A ranger/caster, CAN attack a melee for a lot more, and they can do it from anywhere, and they can often gank a melee far easier than if there were melees after a caster/archer.... so yea I am standing by that point. It IS a REALLY useful intangible for you all.

Besides I am perfectly happy on my seeker/barb when I can nw.
    No one cares about your inferiority complex. Can we not...

Uh, yea I am pretty sure your wrong about that.

I am clearly a 'no one' (that so came out wrong... but still the point is "no one" is so the wrong term to use, even if that happens to be the case with a majority of people) and obviously I do care about the facts that I have brought up in my posts, and I am pretty sure some of the points I have brought up are being agreed with by a few of you casters, and archers alike.

Every time something gets asked to be changed, it tends to get controversial, and their are people who agree with both sides, or there is someone who 'should' be on one side but are actually on the other side. (We all have our opinions about things.) Just because you disagree with my stance, it doesn't mean everything I point out is completely and utterly wrong. The same goes with your all stances, hell there have been times where I agree with the counter points to the points I have brought up.... so yea like it or not, I am not backing down on my stance so to speak.

EDIT: The messed up thing about this all is the fact that you all seem to be so baised about your class, that you all seem to think I am trying to take away your range/superior damage.

I really do not expect you all to agree with all the points I have brought up, but surely you can agree to the fact that range + superior damage is far better than being on a melee, and having to get up close.

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Please note even though I am bringing up these point's it doesn't mean I disagree with the skill changes Quil, came up with; however, for the record I agree with the point burnout brought up.
    Your entire response to my Aim Low is rendered moot by the fact you're talking about physically missing, something I already pointed out before the fact that on top of that chance to miss, it also has a chance to fail. Everything else you said also applies to the skill. aside from the distance gap. And, while an advantage, it's fairly easy to close for most melees in an equal gear situation. Plus then I can argue about how archers would either deal half damage to you at this point, have to attempt to kite which gives your stuff time to go off cooldown since they won't be attacking, or have to pray to the RNG gods for luck. So... what exactly was your point with that?

The only place where you really have a point was saying that you felt comparing a 2spark skill to a 1spark skill was fair and... it isn't. 2spark skills should, with should being the keyword, essentially always have something that makes them better in the situations you'd want to use them than 1-spark skills be it damage, a debuff, AoE, CC utility, or something of the sort. So no, trying to compare 2spark skills to a 1spark skill as he was doing and saying that it's justification for the 1spark skill is not fair to either side of the discussion.

As for you finding it unreasonable... roar of the pride is cheap on chi, an AoE, and has a low chance of failing (or will never fail at all of demon) outside of the stupidly obvious cases of things such as anti-stuns and tidal. And, while I shouldn't have to point that out the scenarios for failing, with what you've shown as an argument to my post, I kind of have no choice to ensure you can't try to use that. On top of that, it cannot actually miss the target, even if it does fail. Aoelian blaade, on the other hand, can miss the target and can also fail. However it also costs no chi, deals more damage than Aim Low, has a shorter cooldown, and does not interfere with weapon procs. Is this fair? Yes, because it has no real cost unless you want to argue about MP. If it were to become a 100% stun, then it would obviously warrant a chi cost and potentially increased cooldown.

Now let's take that further and look at the assassin's Aim Low. Does it cost chi? Nope, in fact it gives chi! Does it deal damage? It's actually fairly decent damage for them, though far from the greatest. It also lasts longer than Aim Low and doesn't interfere with weapon procs! Oh and to top it off, it's almost universally considered just as ridiculous a skill as the fact that shadow escape, a survival skill that would cost chi on any other class, instead grants a full spark.

Let's go one further back to BMs and look at Drake Bash. Costs a spark, single target, good damage (especially compared to aim low), doesn't interfere with weapon procs, and won't fail when it hits. According to your own post, this skill is unfair and should have a chance to fail even if you land the skill. Find me saying that as unreasonable? You shouldn't; it's exactly what the skill change for Aim Low Q posted would be. Only yours deals more damage and won't interfere with your weapon procs even if the change was actually performed.
    Again with someone who seems to be completely ignoring what any melee has to go through.
    Note I did not reference melees in any way in my post making bringing this up a pointless tangent at best. Was what I was pointing out something in regards to melee, you'd potentially have a reason for this. However it had absolutely nothing to do with melees aside from showcasing a similarity with skills across all classes. You're the one who decided to bring up melee specifically, by which you really just mean "lower-geared BMs" in this case, even though it had no real relevance.

There isn't really any melee skills that has others just really shaking in their boots so to speak. Oh and they also have to get up near others to even begin trying to attack people with their skills. (Sure bm, sins, and barbs have a FEW (<-- KEYWORD!) ranged skills, but nothing that makes any of them even slightly worthwhile to use in mass pvp.)
    Right... because lower geared players in mass PvP totally aren't terrified of a barb running towards small groups and 1-shotting them with arma. Or a BM stunning a clustered group of players and then HFing them as an allied caster drops a nuke. Or a Sin popping up out of stealth with a 2sparked subsea rift and then vanishing back to stealth as any survivors get cleaned up by whoever's around to take advantage of the debuff. Don't make me laugh when you know full well that what you're saying is far from the truth. Or are you going to tell me that people in TW don't care about BMs and are quite happy to stay together in tightly packed groups because nobody's going to run into them and land powerful debuffs that cripple them immensely.
    You don't see many melees complaining about the lack of power, or defensive abilities of their class, (one class has practically NONE viable offensive skill, nor defensive... and yet it is so ridiculous hard to show how much truth there is behind it, yes many of you know which class I am talking about... if you want to discuss that with me may I suggest you bring it up over here? So we can avoid that talk here in this thread.... so not looking forward to some of the inevitable discussions this in ALL likelihood will bring up, but meh better there, than here.) maybe this is because they aren't anywhere near as passionate about it as the ones who are, that or they didn't see the class in the same light as the one who is complaining (which happens often, and as is with any class... no class is immune to its fair share of complainers.)
    Endgame melees have PLENTY of power and defense, so no they aren't going to complain about their own lack of it. Granted they will be annoyed at stuff like Purify Spell, but that's another topic entirely. Pre-endgame melees are smart enough to play the role of support in mass PvP but can still generally hold their own in 1v1s unless their opponent has a major gear advantage or is more skilled.
    There is one more possibility. Remember when the aps craze was in full 'craze' mode, casters, and other melees alike went to the two main classes for apsing, and that is bm's and sins, in other words they got with the times, they adapted to the times to 'survive'/continue to play this game and enjoy it to an extent. (Sure it wasn't fair what happened to casters during that time... but in this day and age, the roles have become quite the opposite, where melees are shunned by just about everyone who is actually still playing) This game is full of people who adapt with the times and go with the class they feel is the most effective money maker/the one they feel the most relaxed on, and while it's true casters/arches aren't earning more than meleers, it undoubtedly feels like the ones who have that natural range advantage... are having a lot more fun when they're actually able to be a nuisance to everyone. Whereas melees are often lucky to be able to land even a SINGLE hit, and even when they do it tends to be such a ridiculously low amount, it just leaves another bad taster in the meleers mouth.

^ That is so what I feel has happened, those who are left/has been here through all the changes are the ones who have adapted to the times, and more or less accepted how the game has turned out for their previous 'favorite' class, and then there are people like me who has adapted, but refuses to accept that their previous favorite class is no longer a decent factor in pretty much anywhere these days. The purify proc really ruined game play for many meleers/bms. Even if it has it's weaknesses.
    And with fully endgame gear, most of this is nullified. Pre-endgame vs Pre-endgame, again it's mostly nullified. Pre-endgame vs endgame... well what are you expecting? Shall I go talk about how back when Lunar was endgame archers, the so-called "robe killers" would deal triple digit damage to fully buffed arcanes and, in turn, had to make sure all their refines were top notch so they'd be able to survive long enough to... run away? You're basically talking about BMs pre-endgame so I'll point out how archers got shafted before too and how even the top archers of those times would agree that you don't play archer to faceroll like you could with other classes and instead played it because you needed VASTLY more skill than your opponents to be able to do well as even the smallest of mistakes would kill you on an archer while other classes could afford to make those mistakes.

And let me point something out you don't seem to realize while you're making these posts about melees this and melees that. I play every class. All ten of them. I play them well and love each of them for their own things. I do not lie trying to say class X or Y is my main because I really like playing them all. I was one of the sins who was absolutely annoyed with how stupidly broken APS was back when it ruled both PvE and PvP. I was one of the venos who was not a fan of Nix bleed + kite when we were at the point in time where that was a valid tactic against 99% of players. I'm a caster who feels that being able to tank more than melees in several situations due to the nature of buffs in general and purify spell aiding me more when I have more opponents to face is a rather stupid thing.

So no, I'm not blissfully unaware of what melees of any sort have to go through. I'm not picking favorites or asking for archers to be super buffed because I like them. What I am doing is pointing out the facts and something that literally every skilled and experienced archer already knows. With that being said, I do not plan to respond to any more of the pointless "range vs melee" you keep trying to interject into everything here as that's not the point of this. If you'd like to go back and make actual points about the skill itself in comparison to other skills and debate that, on the other hand, I'll be happy to respond to that and share my thoughts and opinions on the matter.

EDIT: To be clear on the above just in case, yes I agree range is an advantage, moreso in mass PK than normal. However it's far from insurmountable. So while there are things that can make range vs melee an annoying battle 1v1, it's still fairly decent depending on the classes involved. In mass PvP, however, both range and gear play large factors in what you can and cannot accomplish and both need to be considered. Yes, melees have a harder time killing in that sort of environment, but in most MMOs they tend to take on a more supportive role there anyways and, instead of aiming to kill directly, try to support their team more and pick off the occasional straggler they come across.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    Let's go one further back to BMs and look at Drake Bash. Costs a spark, single target, good damage (especially compared to aim low), doesn't interfere with weapon procs, and won't fail when it hits. According to your own post, this skill is unfair and should have a chance to fail even if you land the skill. Find me saying that as unreasonable? You shouldn't; it's exactly what the skill change for Aim Low Q posted would be. Only yours deals more damage and won't interfere with your weapon procs even if the change was actually performed.

Keep these points in mind: melee skill vs, ranged; bows have highest base damage of all weapons; aim low demon has 25% chance to stun for 3 seconds; drake's bash has a 1.5s cast, so bm only gets to utilize 4.5-6 seconds of the stun (sage vs. demon), where an archer can utilize about 7 seconds of the immobilize; and bms miss way more than archers do. Each skill has same chi cost and cooldown. I think these 2 skills are fairly balanced.

And with fully endgame gear, most of this is nullified. Pre-endgame vs Pre-endgame, again it's mostly nullified. Pre-endgame vs endgame... well what are you expecting? Shall I go talk about how back when Lunar was endgame archers, the so-called "robe killers" would deal triple digit damage to fully buffed arcanes and, in turn, had to make sure all their refines were top notch so they'd be able to survive long enough to... run away? You're basically talking about BMs pre-endgame so I'll point out how archers got shafted before too and how even the top archers of those times would agree that you don't play archer to faceroll like you could with other classes and instead played it because you needed VASTLY more skill than your opponents to be able to do well as even the smallest of mistakes would kill you on an archer while other classes could afford to make those mistakes.

It is a fact that, for melees to survive in group situations, their armor has to be better-developed. Range classes can, with proper kiting tactics, get by with a top notch weapon and crappy gear, an impossibility for melees. I think this is essentially what Slivaf is saying. This is a common situation; I know countless ranged classes with +12 r9rr weapon, but only +6 to +10 armor, with only perfect garnet shards, and they get by quite well, unless an archer spots them lol. To have a decent shot at surviving +12 weapon damage as a melee though, armor should be +10 or better with GOOD shards.

EDIT: To be clear on the above just in case, yes I agree range is an advantage, moreso in mass PK than normal. However it's far from insurmountable. So while there are things that can make range vs melee an annoying battle 1v1, it's still fairly decent depending on the classes involved. In mass PvP, however, both range and gear play large factors in what you can and cannot accomplish and both need to be considered. Yes, melees have a harder time killing in that sort of environment, but in most MMOs they tend to take on a more supportive role there anyways and, instead of aiming to kill directly, try to support their team more and pick off the occasional straggler they come across.

Well stated. On a philosophical note, is it 'OK' for bms to default to support role in mass pvp? I can see a melee thinking this is a bit unfair, though in 1vs1 a bm does just fine. On the flip side, archers become the deadliest in group pvp, but aren't so strong in 1vs1 pvp. I definitely hear archers thinking this is unfair. Personally I think that this state of affairs is appropriate. My own damage in group pvp is fairly subpar, and in group situations I default to healing and debuffing support. Each class has strengths and weaknesses. Expecting to be good at everything is ... well you know my thoughts on that already, lol.

Responses in light blue.
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    Your entire response to my Aim Low is rendered moot by the fact you're talking about physically missing, something I already pointed out before the fact that on top of that chance to miss, it also has a chance to fail. Everything else you said also applies to the skill. aside from the distance gap. And, while an advantage, it's fairly easy to close for most melees in an equal gear situation. Plus then I can argue about how archers would either deal half damage to you at this point, have to attempt to kite which gives your stuff time to go off cooldown since they won't be attacking, or have to pray to the RNG gods for luck. So... what exactly was your point with that?

Yes you are right those in better gear have a far easier time closing those gaps, but before it, there is quite a few who struggle to no end to do so. I also agree that the fact that archers deal half damage up close really does rather suck, but still they do have options to remove them self from a sticky situation, after all that trouble the melee went through to even get near them.

Not to mention the fact that even if a melee is on equal gear footing with a caster/archer that he is after, the melee will be far more likely to be taking hits from multiple people... so yea... melees don't have it that easy pre end game. (yes some melee classes fair a lot better than others. Still ignoring it, and asking for a boost in damage or defense seems quite unfair to meleers who are already struggling before end game gear, and are still at a bit of a disadvantage even when in equal gears... more so in mass pvp though.)

I think it's quite unfair to ignore lower geared people like they have no say/clue what goes on in end game pvp... there are some advantages that stick through all the way until the end. Though aye they DO become less noticeable the better gear you get that opposes that innate ability.

The only place where you really have a point was saying that you felt comparing a 2spark skill to a 1spark skill was fair and... it isn't. 2spark skills should, with should being the keyword, essentially always have something that makes them better in the situations you'd want to use them than 1-spark skills be it damage, a debuff, AoE, CC utility, or something of the sort. So no, trying to compare 2spark skills to a 1spark skill as he was doing and saying that it's justification for the 1spark skill is not fair to either side of the discussion.

As for you finding it unreasonable... roar of the pride is cheap on chi, an AoE, and has a low chance of failing (or will never fail at all of demon) outside of the stupidly obvious cases of things such as anti-stuns and tidal. And, while I shouldn't have to point that out the scenarios for failing, with what you've shown as an argument to my post, I kind of have no choice to ensure you can't try to use that. On top of that, it cannot actually miss the target, even if it does fail. Aoelian blaade, on the other hand, can miss the target and can also fail. However it also costs no chi, deals more damage than Aim Low, has a shorter cooldown, and does not interfere with weapon procs. Is this fair? Yes, because it has no real cost unless you want to argue about MP. If it were to become a 100% stun, then it would obviously warrant a chi cost and potentially increased cooldown.

I am fully aware of that fact, (hell if you hadn't pointed it out yourself, I would have...) of course stuns/"100%" cc skills will NOT go through if prevented by an anti stun, I merely brought up that point to show how when a melee has to close gaps, they get near, expend that chi, only to have it miss/wiped cleaned... it isn't fun, nor do I think it's fair to act like archers have the only skills that are worthy/in need of change. Not to mention pre-endgame they DO struggle to close those gaps, and even when they do, procs/skills, a casters/archers ability to react quite often before a melee even has time to stun them. (Sure they can't do it all the time, but most of the time they can, and there is quite a significant amount of people who can, (EDIT) either wipe the status effects clean ridiculously easy, or just leaping/running out of what get's melees near them a bit easier. Though I am not saying I want this to change. That is how it should be... - the wiping status effect clean ridiculously easy.)

Now let's take that further and look at the assassin's Aim Low. Does it cost chi? Nope, in fact it gives chi! Does it deal damage? It's actually fairly decent damage for them, though far from the greatest. It also lasts longer than Aim Low and doesn't interfere with weapon procs! Oh and to top it off, it's almost universally considered just as ridiculous a skill as the fact that shadow escape, a survival skill that would cost chi on any other class, instead grants a full spark.

What aim low of assassian's are you looking at? Do you perhaps mean the knife throw? Also at the risk of being a broken record that no one likes to listen too... they still have to close the distances, and if they're badly geared there is almost NO way they'll be getting near others long enough to make use of it... archers on the other hand would make good use of aim low.

I think you misunderstood my point there, I meant simply that if a 1 spark skill doesn't miss, than neither should a skill that costs more chi to use, especially when that chi could have played a vital role else where. (I.E stuns on another person that wasn't close enough to be effected by hf. <-- using hf/stuns as an example as I am aware that other classes deal with this very same issue.)

Note I did not reference melees in any way in my post making bringing this up a pointless tangent at best. Was what I was pointing out something in regards to melee, you'd potentially have a reason for this. However it had absolutely nothing to do with melees aside from showcasing a similarity with skills across all classes. You're the one who decided to bring up melee specifically, by which you really just mean "lower-geared BMs" in this case, even though it had no real relevance.

Again the reason I keep bringing up that point, is to try and get you/others asking for a boost to look at it from a different perspective. I.E: If you boost the damage or defensive abilities of a casters/ranged class it will EFFECT melees even more.. even the ones in end game gear.... as... if they were taking hits from 3 or more people that had insane defenses + ridiculously hard damage that can be hard to tank/take until they get them all down.

Ergo yea... I don't particularly like the idea of archers, or casters getting more damage added to their skills, nor defense. EDIT: (but I am fairly sure that they will be getting damage boosts whether I like that fact or not... I can deal with that side... but no ty on the defenses)

Right... because lower geared players in mass PvP totally aren't terrified of a barb running towards small groups and 1-shotting them with arma. Or a BM stunning a clustered group of players and then HFing them as an allied caster drops a nuke. Or a Sin popping up out of stealth with a 2sparked subsea rift and then vanishing back to stealth as any survivors get cleaned up by whoever's around to take advantage of the debuff. Don't make me laugh when you know full well that what you're saying is far from the truth. Or are you going to tell me that people in TW don't care about BMs and are quite happy to stay together in tightly packed groups because nobody's going to run into them and land powerful debuffs that cripple them immensely.

I'll give you that one to an extent, but really what is there to be terrified about? If the melee isn't that well geared, or even if it, if there is a few casters/archers around... the melee could be eating dirt in no time at all, not to mention the fact that all it would take to make a melee a pretty much non threat, is coordinate sleeps, seals etc on them and keep your distance to make sure he or she isn't able to do any of that. Casters, nor archers are dumb enough to just sit there as a leeroyer comes barreling in. As I said having to close that gap while in pre end game gear is FAR from easy especially when they have to deal with multiple attacks. (Though, yes it is true that bms when left alone is a bit of a scary prospect for opposing people... still doesn't change the fact that if they're not endgame, it wont take much at all to mop the floor with that bm. Also yes again better gear helps with that, still pre end game... just no... too easy to kill them.)

Endgame melees have PLENTY of power and defense, so no they aren't going to complain about their own lack of it. Granted they will be annoyed at stuff like Purify Spell, but that's another topic entirely. Pre-endgame melees are smart enough to play the role of support in mass PvP but can still generally hold their own in 1v1s unless their opponent has a major gear advantage or is more skilled.

Although there isn't many that post on the forums, there has been a few who (claim) to be endgame who do complain about lack of defense/power... hell I know of a few bms on my server who ARE endgame, and mention some of the things I have brought up. (Don't ask me to get them to post here, but believe me they do complain about their lack of power/defensive ability. (though the latter is mainly bms) Also I too play 1 of every class, and none are anywhere near as endgame as I would like, but I still see (its as clear as day is to me) how much bms struggle to even support/get near others in that pre end game gear.

EDIT: Perhaps I wouldn't be struggling so much to accept that a bm/melees role is supporting, if I actually felt like the other meleers had to do that as well... from the things I see barbs, and even sins can take a more front line approach and get in there to play better support than a bm can, even when they are in poorish gear.

Agreed end game gear most of my complaints are nullified. Aye I fully expect to get owned, however when I close the gaps, and still can't kill/support (yes assume I mean actually stunning, and them breaking out of it with an extraordinary amount of ease) something is seriously wrong.

And let me point something out you don't seem to realize while you're making these posts about melees this and melees that. I play every class. All ten of them. I play them well and love each of them for their own things. I do not lie trying to say class X or Y is my main because I really like playing them all. I was one of the sins who was absolutely annoyed with how stupidly broken APS was back when it ruled both PvE and PvP. I was one of the venos who was not a fan of Nix bleed + kite when we were at the point in time where that was a valid tactic against 99% of players. I'm a caster who feels that being able to tank more than melees in several situations due to the nature of buffs in general and purify spell aiding me more when I have more opponents to face is a rather stupid thing.

I am sorry I said it like that kossy, that was quite out of line on my part, I made a stupid assumption based off of what I read/interpreted/didn't see mentioned in your post. Again I do apologize. Shame on me. D:

Also I understand this may not hold much water/mean much to anyone, but in pve I do play each of my characters quite well, hell even in pvp... EVEN on my bm I do decently enough to get the same amount of points I do on any of my chars, still I see how much rougher it is for a bm compared to ANY other class.

So no, I'm not blissfully unaware of what melees of any sort have to go through. I'm not picking favorites or asking for archers to be super buffed because I like them. What I am doing is pointing out the facts and something that literally every skilled and experienced archer already knows. With that being said, I do not plan to respond to any more of the pointless "range vs melee" you keep trying to interject into everything here as that's not the point of this. If you'd like to go back and make actual points about the skill itself in comparison to other skills and debate that, on the other hand, I'll be happy to respond to that and share my thoughts and opinions on the matter.
    Boy reading that last sentence made me feel 2 inches tall. /o\

Still the reason why I keep bringing it up is due to the fact that it can be hard for melee's to close those gaps, especially in gear that isn't truly endgame when there can easily be more than 1 person to chase down, and it isn't easy at all to take down casters/archers. (Again though archers are far and away the far easier one to take down.)

EDIT: I so AGREE! With your edit that isn't in this post OPKossy. :$

EDIT: Yea now that I think about it more, I think that is my issue. /o\ (The fact that other meleers seem to be far better at being able to actually support... (A barb and its extraordinary ability to absorb an insane amount of damage, and sins ability to be a big enough nuisance that people tend to pay attention when they're there/they can do things to make it harder for them to be taking down/actually kill if left alone for a bit.) (EDIT) Though it is somewhat true for a bm, it is FAR easier for a barb, or sin to stay in the frey, and ignore gear/being ganked better than a bm.... albeit it once those skills run out/are on cooldown life undoubtedly becomes harder on the sin.

• Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Walls...... of....... text.......

walls of red text doesn't help the wall of text. f:worry

@ Thread,

Since I started to read this thread, I've noticed my auto attack is actually doing more damage than skills. On top of that, the skills have a noticeable chance to miss (I debate whether to use skills or not sometimes), even with 7k accuracy.

Oh and I found out yesterday a sinly friend has 8k accuracy. With two +50% accuracy rings. While my archer is 7k with one accuracy ring. And NO! I'm not throwing on another Misty ring, OR sinking 30m into an accuracy ring that also has crit. It's much more cost effective to wear my R8 ring.

I agree, useless skills are useless. My barb is a real skill spammer in PvP, archer is 80% auto attack and 15% Stunning Arrow. (5% whatever else, inb4 someone calls me ****)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    SweetieBot, Please Analyze Slivaf - Dreamweaver

(Read the 10th post on the 24th page if you have't seen it plox)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010