Pretending you was a girl(we all did it)

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Pretending you was a girl(we all did it)

I'm guilty of doing quite a few disturbing and perverse things in real life and perhaps on the net, but I've never portrayed myself as a girl. Just because you have some need to explore your gender confusions online doesn't mean that everyone else does or has them as well.

b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver
    Ny_Naeve - Dreamweaver Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Nope - never had to because Im an actual real life female. I play with my husband and other family members (rl family that is). Most of the people I have met are pretty honest about rl gender though. I have male friends that play female toons and vice versa. I have a diverse group I hang with in game and dont care much about gender or orientation. I'm not here to meet Mr. Right or Mr. Let's Fool Around - I already have him, right at home.

b:bye
  • maitatsu
    maitatsu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Earn your money doing chores? ROFL

That's quite normal, it's called an "allowance". I got that when I was a kid too till I got a job. So basically she's right.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    It's not a lie. Someone asks you in-game(aka your character) without specifying they're talking about you IRL, and you tell them your character's sex, it's not a lie at all. Now if they specifically ask what you are IRL and you tell them anything than what you are IRL, then it'd be lying... but you don't have to tell them any of your IRL information unless your friendship moves beyond the game. If they assume anything before that, it's their fault, not yours.

The person can clearly see what gender your character is, when they ask you they are omitting the subject because it's obvious. Your character's gender is apparent so they are asking you what gender YOU are, as in YOU personally. Not what gender is your character? It's very common in every language. Just like if your friend is eating potato chips and you ask "Can i have one?" You don't mean, hey will you go cook me a steak? Or can I have one answer to a random question of my choosing? Or can I have one piece of chocolate cake? The subject is obvious so you omit it. It's even more common in high context languages, such as Japanese. It's also a constant source of frustration for people trying to localize dialogue from foreign countries, because they have to expand on what the character meant (and is obvious to the home countries' audience) so that foreigners will understand too. But there is a limited amount of lip movement or filler they can use to stretch a scene so that it fits the longer dialogue.

::quick pan to a tree::
    Character A: That rope on the tree!

Native Audiene: Ah, that is a spirit rope connecting it, just like in my countries native religion! That trees spirit must be very strong. That tree might host a god or power of some kind. It's probably very old. I should explore this, I might get a powerup of some kind. this game is finally getting good.

Foreign Audience: ....What about that rope on the tree? Why is it glowing? I don't get it, this game is weird and confusing.

A straight translation in which you don't pay attention to what is being omitted would confuse the native audience. A good localizer would pay attention to the fact that game designer omitted the subject and information, because to them it is common sense. They would therefore need to expand on the subject and pay just as much attention to what's not being said.

localized:

Character A: There's a spirit rope on that tree!

::a slightly longer cut to the tree::

Voiceover: The gods must have given it some kind of power....

Foreign Audience: Ah, it might have something to do with the ancient prophecy they mentioned earlier in the game. I should go explore it, I might get a new powerup of some kind! This game is finally getting good.

TLDR Version: If someone is omitting something, it's probably because they think it should be obvious. If you neither of you say specifically what you mean, then any miscommunication is the fault of both people. There are a lot of people who don't think about characters the same way you do, no matter your perspective on them. What is common sense or a fact to you, is a completely unknown concept to someone else.

/rant. Blame my teacher, we learned about this today in my Japanese class since many people want to become translators, but were using too direct of a translation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Deadalus - Harshlands
    Deadalus - Harshlands Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    i have more female then male chars and im a male but i never do that.

I dont run around with my female char and taking presents from some randome guys nor saying im a dude by myself.
    When they ask, im saying, that im a trap.

and that is all b:bye
  • Gloop_ - Sanctuary
    Gloop_ - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I have never pretended that I was a girl, but I have been mistaken for one on multiple occasions. When I am not playing my archer or cleric, I still get hit on by random people regardless of my character (male wizard, female archer/cleric). I dunno if I should take it as a complement or a slap in the face :/
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    maitatsu wrote: »
    That's quite normal, it's called an "allowance". I got that when I was a kid too till I got a job. So basically she's right.

I didn't get an allowance =/

However my mom would of slapped the **** out of me if she knew I spent 3k on a game where I own NOTHING. Especially if she gave me that money lmao.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Irdis - Sanctuary
    Irdis - Sanctuary Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    hmm, no, but i had several female toons (i assume guys like op) hitting on my archer b:surrender. Obviously there is no way i m giving stuff to random beggars b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Lol, inb4 lingzi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I remember being a noob and people constantly picking up and kissing my veno.. stupid freaks.. lol
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    On a related note..Apparently so many males play venos that I've had more than a few people just automatically assume I'm male because I play one. =_=''

This is the very 1st and to this date only MMO I've ever played. I chose a veno because the person that referred me to the game told me it was the best all purpose class at the time - and it was (maybe still is to a point). I've had to deal with weirdos making sexual advances on me for 4 years since and it really disgusts me to say the least. I've even cussed a few of them out.

There were a few that claimed that guys who play female chars are homos. Some people are just plain sick. All I tell them is that if I want to play an MMO for several hours a day I would rather watch a cute female *** run her tail off all day rather than male's *** like they do. Usually that Homo talk **** stops right there but not always. They get defensive until I BL them.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
    edited February 2012
    This is the very 1st and to this date only MMO I've ever played. I chose a veno because the person that referred me to the game told me it was the best all purpose class at the time - and it was (maybe still is to a point). I've had to deal with weirdos making sexual advances on me for 4 years since and it really disgusts me to say the least. I've even cussed a few of them out.

There were a few that claimed that guys who play female chars are homos. Some people are just plain sick. All I tell them is that if I want to play an MMO for several hours a day I would rather watch a cute female *** run her tail off all day rather than male's *** like they do. Usually that Homo talk **** stops right there but not always. They get defensive until I BL them.

This is my first and only MMO. I played a veno. I quit because I would be hit on over and over so much it was sickening. Even when I said I was a guy, half the time they would refuse to believe it... I even had a stalker.

And the whole "if I want to play an MMO for several hours a day I would rather watch a cute female *** run her tail off all day rather than male's ***" as a reason creeps me the f**k out. Sorry. xP
  • hiddenmonkey
    hiddenmonkey Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Girls are always treated better than guys. If you're smart enough to exploit that fact go for it.
  • Noel - Dreamweaver
    Noel - Dreamweaver Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Long Post
    I'm kinda experienced with the subject of opposite-sex characters, and I dislike my IRL sex to be known by random strangers. A lot of the time I'm asked it, it's in faction chat or another long game distance chat where they can't see my character. And when they ask me "are you a boy or girl?" when my character is standing in front of them, I usually say "you can see me!", "isn't it obvious?", "just look at me" or something similar. Only half the time will they go "I meant IRL", which will prompt me to say "That's a secret" or "not telling".

Though I see your point, I feel that it is irrelevant in favor of inciting distinction between character and player, which is sorely absent from this community. As evidenced by for example by some players' use of the term "male Veno". But for what it's worth, I'm against exploiting one's sex, both IRL and in-game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    im a girl in real life and to be honest i havnt gotten a lot of gifts from guys, but thats probably because i have a boyfriend ... lol

in another game i played though, i had some nice guy friends that gave me from pretty valuable gifts :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Girls are always treated better than guys. If you're smart enough to exploit that fact go for it.

Not always true. So far Ive met 2 girls who voluntarily wanted to give me items (pets, charms etc), one from Greece and one from Philippines, and wanted to marry me etc.

I've also met guys who want items from my girl toon, tried to flirt with my girl toon and hope that I'll give him a cube neck or something (yes not the other way round lol)

Most people dont really exploit their gender. Not saying there isnt any, but most of which I see are guys(or girls) pretending to be girls and sell:

(1) Token of luck as best lucks
    (2) Pearl Blossom Spear as Deicides
    (3) Lunar Mats as +10vit gems
  • Kirouka - Sanctuary
    Kirouka - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    gave me somewhere in the realm of 100 mil worth of random items and fashion.

i actually AM a girl and don't get that much **** o.o you must be very convincing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirouka | Venomancer | PWI
  • Deathray - Harshlands
    Deathray - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I remember being a noob and people constantly picking up and kissing my veno.. stupid freaks.. lol

What, did they somehow just force you to let them pick you up? and if you're a guy you're worse than they are, they think you're a girl.. you know you're a guy and you know that they're a guy.

If you're a girl ignore the last part lol
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    What, did they somehow just force you to let them pick you up? and if you're a guy you're worse than they are, they think you're a girl.. you know you're a guy and you know that they're a guy.

If you're a girl ignore the last part lol
    Hey, what did you do as a noob playing a female char?
    I learned pretty quick about the horny men in this game.. I always thought it was just for chi, so yea...

and I am a guy, but I was new at one point, so shove off.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Deathray - Harshlands
    Deathray - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Hey, what did you do as a noob playing a female char?
    I learned pretty quick about the horny men in this game.. I always thought it was just for chi, so yea...

and I am a guy, but I was new at one point, so shove off.

I never played a female char.
  • tshirttime
    tshirttime Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I play a female toon on lothranis (if someone asks if im a chick i say yep , they never bother to ask , am i a chick irl lol). I've been given close to 600-800m so.. yeah. Guys love girls (****)
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I have 2 female toons but pretending to be a female, that`s just low, and people should not be so gullible just because smb plays a female char doesn`t mean it`s an actual female, horny little gamer nerds will usually fall for that.
  • MeaMoeYao - Lost City
    MeaMoeYao - Lost City Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I've never pretended to be a girl, even with the sexiest PWI character ever, Futa b:dirty but whats worse is the horny broken English blue chat like,

"u sexy, speak spanish BB?"

"u ver good looking, where u from?"

Like even if I was female, I wouldn't be wanting that kind of greasy attention based on the looks of my character anyway. Save that **** for tangible females. b:cry

On the reverse side, anyone who just owned up to pretending to be a female for items, just admitted to being a scammer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

//\\Futa\\// 101 BM - Chinatown
  • tshirttime
    tshirttime Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    On the reverse side, anyone who just owned up to pretending to be a female for items, just admitted to being a scammer.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all. As long as you don't reply with a lie to their question (if they ask if you are a girl , and your character is indeed a female , the answer is yes) Only way it would be a lie is if they asked your irl gender and you lied. Also , you have to ask them for the items / coins (which I have never done :O )
    edited February 2012
    tshirttime wrote: »
    Not true at all. As long as you don't reply with a lie to their question (if they ask if you are a girl , and your character is indeed a female , the answer is yes)

That's called deception and indeed you would be a scammer.
  • Noel - Dreamweaver
    Noel - Dreamweaver Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    That's called deception and indeed you would be a scammer.
    No and no. They ask your character, whom you are playing as. They aren't talking directly to your IRL self. You would not be lying in that case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeaMoeYao - Lost City
    edited February 2012
    Not true at all. As long as you don't reply with a lie to their question (if they ask if you are a girl , and your character is indeed a female , the answer is yes) Only way it would be a lie is if they asked your irl gender and you lied. Also , you have to ask them for the items / coins (which I have never done :O )

Your
    logic is flawed, If I ask you if you are a girl, you lie by saying you are, because you are not your avatar, you are a male. Therefore you are telling a direct lie, and decieving someone into false admiration to aquire items.

Please use only flawless logic to respond, incase you look silly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited February 2012
    No and no. They ask your character, whom you are playing as. They aren't talking directly to your IRL self. You would not be lying in that case.

Are you an idiot? You sure sound like one.

I mean, don't you think that the difference between a female character and a male character are easily discernible? No, of course not, because you're stupid as a rock.

If someone asks your gender, they're asking you, not your stupid toon.
  • MeaMoeYao - Lost City
    edited February 2012
    Guys, far too quick responding to that, I was making my post pretty :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RageKill - Lost City
    RageKill - Lost City Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    sexiest PWI character ever, Futa .

Lies.