Cant run PWI after newest update on Ubuntu 11.10

Comments

• Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    On graphics tab I dont have checked the first one. But I dont think that solves anything

And you wine is now version 1.2.3?
  • Christianlej - Sanctuary
    Christianlej - Sanctuary Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    On graphics tab I dont have checked the first one. But I dont think that solves anything

And you wine is now version 1.2.3?

Yes i do b:surrender
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2011
    You get into character selection screen and then click start and after that when loading it crash right? You can PM me your terminal prints. I can look if I find something. Your crash seems to happen little different point than mine. I was able to fully load the game and crash came immediately after.
    edited November 2011
    You get into character selection screen and then click start and after that when loading it crash right? You can PM me your terminal prints. I can look if I find something. Your crash seems to happen little different point than mine. I was able to fully load the game and crash came immediately after.

No... just crash at the begining look this screen and the next is an terminal print.

ifEmKEr2zpONZ.png

Always the same thing...

Now terminal Prints.

ibigf08EFxOdmg.png
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2011
    Oh your crash is at different place than mine was. One windows user has same problem (check his post)after new update and I got it too yesterday when i was trying to get this working and had some extra packages installed and ended up to crash same place where you are crashing.

My terminal seems to be exactly same until 3rd last line.

where my begins
    fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x7026a, 0x5906280): stub
    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xb29930 "?" wait timed out in thread 006c, blocked by 0085, retrying (60 sec)

Edit: is your wine set to Windows XP version?
    edited November 2011
    Oh your crash is at different place than mine was. One windows user has same problem (check his post)after new update and I got it too yesterday when i was trying to get this working and had some extra packages installed and ended up to crash same place where you are crashing.

My terminal seems to be exactly same until 3rd last line.

where my begins
    fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x7026a, 0x5906280): stub
    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xb29930 "?" wait timed out in thread 006c, blocked by 0085, retrying (60 sec)

Does don`t help me... i don`t have any firewall or Antivirus... lol maybe running as root?b:surrender
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2011
    I was surprised that there was an intro video. I first time saw it yesterday. I have never ran PWI on windows after genesis where it was added and when running it on ubuntu it seems to be skipped.

Edit:
    Just a side-note, I did experience some issues with ffdshow when I had some other codecs installed, (not sure which), and removing ffdshow for a bit fixed the issue I was having. It started loading ffdshow up for the intro video they added with Genesis and that was causing problems with the client. It wasn't crashing, but it's something to consider.

Edit2: Have you tried to run it on full screen mode?

I'll go to bed now. Maybe adamknube has solution for you when he comes...
    edited November 2011
    I was surprised that there was an intro video. I first time saw it yesterday. I have never ran PWI on windows after genesis where it was added and when running it on ubuntu it seems to be skipped.

Edit:

What i could do?

I want play and spend gold there hehe.

Thanks for help Yin :D
  • enlil
    enlil Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I have had similar problems. on 10.10 im not working on it atm.. until i solve the 11.10 issue. 1 of my 11.10 computers is working fine. so i upgraded my 11.04 to 11.10 to try and figure out why it works and the others do not. on 10.10 and the 11.10 that was upgraded i get the logging screen. My characters have no armor and have no clothes. In fact the barb is just fur. Then it try's to start and fails.

On the 11.10 that worked normally I had installed ie6 on it and uninstalled in the recent past. They all have the same cheap video card running an nvidia 9500 GT. zotac card.. no laughing it works great.

So i know its a driver of some sort.. just don't know which.. both the 11.10 machines have the same video driver. I have tried wine 1.2 and 1.3 (the bad of course) and reverted back to 1.2. So its not a wine issue.

its something else. I still got a lot of comparing to do.

PWI is looking for something that the 1 computer has that the others do not. As soon as i figure that out I will let the world know.

also on the machine that upgraded and on the 10.10 i have done complete reinstalls and that is not the answer.. so don't bother. Do if you want. but i still get the same thing.

I have not.. completely removed wine and the folders yet and started from scratch but others seem to have done so.
    edited November 2011
    enlil wrote: »
    I have had similar problems. on 10.10 im not working on it atm.. until i solve the 11.10 issue. 1 of my 11.10 computers is working fine. so i upgraded my 11.04 to 11.10 to try and figure out why it works and the others do not. on 10.10 and the 11.10 that was upgraded i get the logging screen. My characters have no armor and have no clothes. In fact the barb is just fur. Then it try's to start and fails.

On the 11.10 that worked normally I had installed ie6 on it and uninstalled in the recent past. They all have the same cheap video card running an nvidia 9500 GT. zotac card.. no laughing it works great.

So i know its a driver of some sort.. just don't know which.. both the 11.10 machines have the same video driver. I have tried wine 1.2 and 1.3 (the bad of course) and reverted back to 1.2. So its not a wine issue.

PWI is looking for something that the 1 computer has that the others do not. As soon as i figure that out I will let the world know.

also on the machine that upgraded and on the 10.10 i have done complete reinstalls and that is not the answer.. so don't bother. Do if you want. but i still get the same thing.

I have not.. completely removed wine and the folders yet and started from scratch but others seem to have done so.

I have Nvidia 285 version and Nvidia Gforce GT 330M... I think i have a good video card for this game... just want know why this don`t start and crash to begining.

Thanks a lot :Db:thanks
  • Myelene - Lost City
    Myelene - Lost City Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    thanks to all for the solutions given but none worked for me so i am off fo a while was thinking on playing againg but noe o'll switch to linux native games and this game have the same issue on my 3 PC the one with Win Vista, the one with XP and the one with Ubuntu 10.0 4.3 so i simply will wait and see if they fix the game later all 3 PC with diferent settings so i think is the game the one failing
  • linuxftw
    linuxftw Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    i got pw working on opensuse 11.4, wine version is 1.3.12 on both pc's. what i done is renamed the .wine folder to wine to save the game install. i then ran a command prompt winecfg that created a new .wine folder so while in winecfg i selected audio and checked alsa and oss. i then clicked libraries tab, made sure *msvcrt (builtin,native was highlighted then clicked edit and chose native, builtin . clicked apply and closed winecfg. i cut the pw game from the wine folder and put it into the .wine folder,, same with wine tricks. in wine tricks i installed core fonts , vcrun6sp6 and glsl-disable. i dont think it was needed but i installed libjpeg8 and the development files for compiling while searching for solution. runs great now and i hope those with problems will get it fixed soon b:victory
    edited November 2011
    linuxftw wrote: »
    i got pw working on opensuse 11.4, wine version is 1.3.12 on both pc's. what i done is renamed the .wine folder to wine to save the game install. i then ran a command prompt winecfg that created a new .wine folder so while in winecfg i selected audio and checked alsa and oss. i then clicked libraries tab, made sure *msvcrt (builtin,native was highlighted then clicked edit and chose native, builtin . clicked apply and closed winecfg. i cut the pw game from the wine folder and put it into the .wine folder,, same with wine tricks. in wine tricks i installed core fonts , vcrun6sp6 and glsl-disable. i dont think it was needed but i installed libjpeg8 and the development files for compiling while searching for solution. runs great now and i hope those with problems will get it fixed soon b:victory

Tryed it and doesn`t work... I use Ubuntu... maybe i install debian for check if it work jeje c ya all will install debian :D
  • adamknube
    adamknube Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    elieli wrote: »
    It would seem that all you need to do is to edit:

Wine Configuration -> Libraries -> msvcrt

to ensure that the order of use of the dll is builtin, native.

Once that is done pwi should work like it always did

This is 100% true as long as you are using wine1.2 to begin with...
    The new ubuntu ships with wine1.3 which has wrong icon pictures for many things...
    Hence why i explain the full downgrade/re-install process, the forum was originally titled problems in 11.10 ;)
  • adamknube
    edited November 2011
    enlil wrote: »

For me the naked toons returned to normal after changing the load order of the msvcrt.dll... Weird thing is... If I don't install the vcrun6 package then the game crashes one way, If i install it, then my toons are naked, and it crashes another way. But if i install it and then turn it off it works.... Does this help your search at all? Sure confuses the hell outta me. Maybe has something to do with fallback... It uses one dll to start and then some how falls back to other version for other functions.... Who knows...
  • adamknube
    edited November 2011
    In winecfg, go to video page and check the setting for Virtual Desktop and set a size of 800x600 or 1024x768 or whatever you screen/eyes can handle... After doing this you can set the game to fullscreen and it only takes up as much room as you set for Virtual Desktop... for instance i run 1440x900 on my real desktop and then setthe wine desktop to 1024x768, now when u go to launcher go into your settings and set fullscreen 1024x768 or whatever you set up... You will trick the game into thinking its fullscreen and still be able to play in a window.

Now this is completely un-related to the new update, but along the same lines as my suggestion above... Some time ago i crashed out of the game, and could not get back in... as soon as i did the screen would draw and kick me out again... I tried on wife's windows computer and same problem so its not linux thing and i can get support... Or so i thought... Support ignored me and after 3 days I figured it out on my own... Just on a hunch i go into the launcher and turn off all "fancy" settings like warp, sun, sharpen, soften, etc... The i set video to 800x600 fullscreen... Finally i set wine virtual desktop to 800x600 and press GO... What do you know it worked... So slowly over time i started adding options back... Now im right back to the settings i always used... Almost everything on highest setting, 1024x768 resolution with all "fancy" options turned on except soften because i think it looks too cartoony... What was wrong??? No Idea... What changed to fix it??? No idea... But it worked and maybe it can help someone else ;)
  • adamknube
    edited November 2011
    linuxftw wrote: »

This process should work every time, great guide! No matter what flavor of linux you have this applies very well... Is 1.3.12 the last version that icons still work??? Has anyone tried going newer?? I know that current release and bleeding edge are messed, but how far can one go before it breaks??? Also in current 1.3 release i noticed that the loading screens take longer and bar moves slower, not a big fan of that either. So for now i still preach 1.2 with minor hackery FTW b:chuckle
  • elieli
    elieli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I'm using 1.3.10 on Fedora 15. This version was available during the testing phases before F15 went gold. It is available under:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?buildStart=50&packageID=4106&buildOrder=-completion_time&tagOrder=name&tagStart=0#buildlist
    edited November 2011
    This way doesn`t help me... i havn`t got this issue i have the screen brocken when it`s loading... just see this picture.

ifEmKEr2zpONZ.png

This always happen to me...

and the terminal prints is: (if this help)

ibigf08EFxOdmg.png

Thanks for the help... everyone :D
  • linuxftw
    linuxftw Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    im not sure but i think its wine 1.3.20 and above that has the icon issues. from what ive seen is that the language localization is not reading Chinese
    charactors. look at this post to see what they did to get it to work. was a bit vague for me to understand. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=3388072
  • Myelene - Lost City
    Myelene - Lost City Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    i came from a Bike Trip and get into this again i got no error log running elementclient.exe neither window or wine i use 10.04.3 LTS 8 GB of ram and a PhnomII X4 with Nvidia Gforce some number i dont remember but in win and wine the error i get is some text i cant read and some [configs.pck] in the text on both windows and wine can some one tell what is that ??? see you in CS if anyone goes there or on any game in linux as native b:bye good i stopped buying gold cause of the unstable updates long time ago b:shockedb:shocked

Edit: i use a AMD 64 version of Ubuntu
  • Brutalitus - Heavens Tear
    Brutalitus - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Christianlej, did u tryied different versions of wine?
  • Elrondro - Lothranis
    Elrondro - Lothranis Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Christianlej, I had the same errors with my wine. And I finaly found what I needed to install. The solution is really... stupid! ><
    I just installed IE6 and try to run the game. And know the game works!
    Apparently IE6 is needed for the announcements when the game is launched, I don't know why...

PS: I apologize if my english is not really good, I am a french gamer.
  • Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver
    Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    This way doesn`t help me... i havn`t got this issue i have the screen brocken when it`s loading... just see this picture.

ifEmKEr2zpONZ.png

This always happen to me...

and the terminal prints is: (if this help)

ibigf08EFxOdmg.png

Thanks for the help... everyone :D

got exact same problem. does anyone know any solution to this problem? i've tried to reintall this game in every possible way (with wine 1.2 or 1.3, with vcrun6 or without) and still the best i can get is something very similiar to Christianlej
    Trolling since September 2008b:victory

Don't worry. I might stop trolling and say something useful... One day....
  • rikugx
    rikugx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    still no solution? (get the exact same situation as mentioned above me)

i tryied now:

all the damn solutions mentioned here, from winetricks installing thousends of **** ive never heard of till changing some prefixes or whatesoever
    reinstalling
    redownloading
    installing various fake fronst
    installing ie6
    installing ie7
    installing ie8
    installing the game again in 10 variations with the programs im sick of it anybody put up a damn working solution to this damn problem?
  • Elrondro - Lothranis
    edited November 2011
    I will try to explain what I done for running my game on Ubuntu 11.04! :)

My specifications:
    • Ubuntu 11.04 (not yet upgrade to 11.10)
    • wine1.2.3
    • NVidia Geforce GT 130M/PCI/SSE2
    • 4Go RAM

I reinstall wine for have a clean wineprefix.
    Then, with winetricks, I installed:
    AllFonts (apparently juste core font is needed)
    • d3d9
    • IE6
    • vcrun6
    • vcrun6sp6 (not sure if this is really needed by the game)
    Then, I configured my wine with those settings on libraries:
    • msvrct (builtin, native)
    • d3dx9_36 (native), remove the others d3dx9
    On audio settings:
    • select ALSA
    • emulate sound, sample to 44100 and 16 bits
    On video settings: check the checkbox to use Pixel Shader if supported by material.
    And, to finish my configuration settings, I edited Regedit. On HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Wine, created new key Direct3D for video settings. This key contains those parameters:
    • DirectDrawRenderer - opengl
    • Nonpower2Mode - repack
    • OffscreenRenderingMode - fbo
    • PixelShaderMode - enabled
    • RenderTargetLockMode - auto
    • UseGLSL - disabled
    • VertexShaderMode - enabled
    • VideoMemorySize - 1024
    For VideoMemorySize, enter the memory size for your video card, mine is 1024, but yours could be 512 or 2048, for example.

To finish, I reinstalled the game, update it and launch it! My game crashed around 10% before I installed IE6, and know it run very well.
    You probably suffer for a lake of GUI, launch the patcher and set the settings for the GUI game. Then, retry to launch. If needed, I could send you a screen from my settings video game, but my settings are on french language.

I hope that my little participation may help some of you to run your game!
  • rikugx
    edited November 2011
    Hm....ill need to get ubuntu 11.04 then i guess....

also ie6 wont install, neither on 10.04 nor with winetricks
  • Elrondro - Lothranis
    edited November 2011
    rikugx wrote: »
    Hm....ill need to get ubuntu 11.04 then i guess....

also ie6 wont install, neither on 10.04 nor with winetricks

I really have no idea if my solution works for 11.10, perhaps it will works if you install IE6. But if you have to downgrade your Ubuntu to play, that will not a good joke from PWI!
  • rikugx
    edited November 2011
    the funny thing is im already USING 10.04 so ill just wait and hope a wonder happens (what never will...)

ok....new information now my wineprefix is corrupted i just fvcked up my whole linux, nothings working anymore,
    great! thanks everyone^^
    edited November 2011
    rikugx wrote: »
    the funny thing is im already USING 10.04 so ill just wait and hope a wonder happens (what never will...)

ok....new information now my wineprefix is corrupted i just fvcked up my whole linux, nothings working anymore,
    great! thanks everyone^^

jajajaj Don`t worry it happened to me and i needed to wait 1 month for back to game... now it happen to me again... Using ubuntu 11.10 and you don`t need IE06... Installed Debian and nothing happens, there is something wrong and the game now need more software, I just wait for the solution (playing Sims 3 with the 9 expansions... now xD) well... the problem is from the software that the game need and grafic thing... Just see the logs in [element/logs]

For example i don`t know if this is a problem... xD

pantallazodel2011110414.png

and if you have the problem that couldn`t run the game and this show config.pkg or something with chinese language go to the folder set there like: [cd Perfect*/Perfect*/element/] Next to that [wine elementclient.exe] hope you have more luck than me... still can`t run the game jeje.