Cant run PWI after newest update on Ubuntu 11.10

Comments

• Kalishana - Archosaur
    Kalishana - Archosaur Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    @adamknube You are amazing.... Ive gone farther than i have ever had since the new update... but the installer is all white and nothing is loading... so what am i supposed to do?

Anyways Thanks for helping me so far :P

Edit: To add more detail, the Installer is all white during the pandomediabooster thing and there is no progress at all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Silvy for the signature b:laugh.
  • Jelloid - Sanctuary
    Jelloid - Sanctuary Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    adamknube wrote: »
    im not going to get technical im just going to blurt out answers. if you dont understand something i type then please RTFM for wine and such. PS all this is posted in the wine app-db i did it about 6 months ago. First and most important... For speed reasons and a few other..... Downgrade from wine 1.3 to 1.2... again im not getting technical and say why just trust me on this... Then your icons will work.... Now... The game wont run on our naked wine install so we must use winetricks to get 3-4 packages. allfonts would be a good start along with fakechineese this will speed up the game a lot as it wont need to find default fonts. Next you will need vcrun6sp6, this is needed not optional. Lastly you need d3dx9_36. You can install the whole dx9 package but id advise against it for many reasons, but mostly the broken dinput. Now after all of that you are still in the same place... The game loads but you are naked, and when u click to start it crashes... but at least your icons are ok and your game is twice as fast as was in 1.3... So lets fix the crash shall we? Open up winecfg and go to Libraries (DLL overrides) section. Change the order of msvcrt.dll so that it is built-in first followed by native. If you want to hear sounds in the game then before you close winecfg go to Audio page and select ALSA as sound driver, then Apply and Ok... After that the game should work. As i said dont pm me if u dont "get it" go out and RTFM and then you will "get it"... however if you "get it" and it still doesnt work, maybe i can help you out. gl all see you in game.

You have saved my sanity b:thanks The game runs perfectly now b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rikugx
    rikugx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    adamknube wrote: »
    im not going to get technical im just going to blurt out answers. if you dont understand something i type then please RTFM for wine and such. PS all this is posted in the wine app-db i did it about 6 months ago. First and most important... For speed reasons and a few other..... Downgrade from wine 1.3 to 1.2... again im not getting technical and say why just trust me on this... Then your icons will work.... Now... The game wont run on our naked wine install so we must use winetricks to get 3-4 packages. allfonts would be a good start along with fakechineese this will speed up the game a lot as it wont need to find default fonts. Next you will need vcrun6sp6, this is needed not optional. Lastly you need d3dx9_36. You can install the whole dx9 package but id advise against it for many reasons, but mostly the broken dinput. Now after all of that you are still in the same place... The game loads but you are naked, and when u click to start it crashes... but at least your icons are ok and your game is twice as fast as was in 1.3... So lets fix the crash shall we? Open up winecfg and go to Libraries (DLL overrides) section. Change the order of msvcrt.dll so that it is built-in first followed by native. If you want to hear sounds in the game then before you close winecfg go to Audio page and select ALSA as sound driver, then Apply and Ok... After that the game should work. As i said dont pm me if u dont "get it" go out and RTFM and then you will "get it"... however if you "get it" and it still doesnt work, maybe i can help you out. gl all see you in game.

maybe make a video of it? couse i dont understand like 50% of what you write....
  • adamknube
    adamknube Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    rikugx wrote: »
    maybe make a video of it? couse i dont understand like 50% of what you write....

i will do this... but it is late tonight... maybe i try tomorrow.... GL
  • adamknube
    edited November 2011
    @adamknube You are amazing.... Ive gone farther than i have ever had since the new update... but the installer is all white and nothing is loading... so what am i supposed to do?

Anyways Thanks for helping me so far :P

Edit: To add more detail, the Installer is all white during the pandomediabooster thing and there is no progress at all

Ahhh pando... it is a spamkit of sorts... not good software i don't know why reputable company like PW is using it... WINE never has and never will support pando or even worse softwares like hackshield.... please read on this.... anyways... i suggest you get the torrent and use program such as transmission to download the RAR file.... then apt-get install unrar if you do not have it already and unrar the file.... After this action you will have a folder/directory with all the original setup files on it which run very well in WINE... however i do suggest that yo DO NOT choose to verify files.... it takes VERY long time...

Correction... pando is more of a lagkit.... but lag is spam is it not? the simple fact that you can't really control it makes me wanna call it a rootkit... after all it has filesystem access right??? but thats another topic... bottom line is if you do have pando installed do yerself a favor and kill it fast and hard ;)

Also one kinda "feature" of wine is the silent fixmes.... things dont have to be 100% perfect to run... so if you cannot download the game yourself just copy a friend's PWI directory to USB drive and put it under ~/.wine/drive_c/PWI or something like that... as long as your friend has got all updates first you can just go to the directory then into /element/ and run elementclient.exe in wine loader.... if not updated then u have to run patcher or launcher first... but this is all in wine app-db so i digress... however i can tell you that i try this method on windows machine and it fails... wine ftw
  • adamknube
    edited November 2011
    ok.. once you verify the game can run, i suggest you install this registry file http://pastebin.com/070DWTMc ... To do this copy the text from pastebin and save it as like pwi.reg or something it doesnt matter really... then go to command terminal and type: wine regedit pwi.reg (or whatever u named it)... and it will do its thing... sorry i dont link the reg file directly for download but i want all to see the settings it makes so you know its not **** or anything.... it really does help trust me....

OH wait.... almost forgot.... see the last line???
    it says video memory size...
    you want to change this to the amount of video memory that you have...
    im not sure what happens if you set it wrong ive never tried...
    but to guess i think if you set it low its fine, lets be honest PWI run on a built-in Intel grafix so... ya...
    and i guess that if you set it high... ummm.... ewww... i smell some kind of bottleneck lag type thing???
    anyways hope this helps... gl fellow penguins
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    thanks for the info about the pando. I think there should be some notice if we wan't to install it or not. I haven't measured how much it affects my connection speed but if softwares like this are installed along the game itself I'd want to be aware of that.

http://foxsys.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-is-pando-media-booster-pandoexe.html

is something about pando
  • Brutalitus - Heavens Tear
    Brutalitus - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    omg not again b:cryb:cry

im having this problem too

i'll try reinstall everything now b:sad
  • elieli
    elieli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    It would seem that all you need to do is to edit:

Wine Configuration -> Libraries -> msvcrt

to ensure that the order of use of the dll is builtin, native.

Once that is done pwi should work like it always did
    edited November 2011
    elieli wrote: »
    It would seem that all you need to do is to edit:

Wine Configuration -> Libraries -> msvcrt

to ensure that the order of use of the dll is builtin, native.

Once that is done pwi should work like it always did

didnt work for me....

my game is crashing after pressing start on launcher, it loads a little then crash....

i just reinstalled everything and got the same problem
  • elieli
    edited November 2011
    If you installed directx, before installing pwi then don't. You don't need it anymore. You will still need to install core fonts and vcrun6sp6 before anything will work via winetricks. After that you will need to fix your registery also. There is a clear image of what the settings should be at:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=579982&page=8

This is assuming that you are running an NVidia Video Card
    edited November 2011
    If you installed directx, before installing pwi then don't. You don't need it anymore. You will still need to install core fonts and vcrun6sp6 before anything will work via winetricks. After that you will need to fix your registery also. There is a clear image of what the settings should be at:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=579982&page=8

This is assuming that you are running an NVidia Video Card

still didnt work....

when genesis was released i had the same problem, but after reinstalling everything, it worked.

i dont know what more i can try...
    searching for solutions on WineHQ now...
  • elieli
    edited November 2011
    The only other thing that I can suggest is that you rename the .wine directory in your home directory and start completely over :(

If that doesn't work....
  • Christianlej - Sanctuary
    Christianlej - Sanctuary Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    The only other thing that I can suggest is that you rename the .wine directory in your home directory and start completely over :(

If that doesn't work....

I did it a lot times... and nathing worked for me...

The game stop where is the barr...

ifEmKEr2zpONZ.png

b:sad

I have:

Nvidia Geforce GT 330M

4Gb RAM

i5 core

Ubuntu 11.10 (unity)

DirectX9 installed and the c++6 libraries

Nothing helps me...
  • elieli
    edited November 2011
    I'm not shouting, just emphasizing.... DO NOT INSTALL DIRECTX9.

I had the same problem when Genesis came out and had to re-do my entire prefix. Wine and the newer animated screens do not seem to like each other. If you do not install directx and just use the built in directx you get the old login screens and you get better results.
    edited November 2011
    I'm not shouting, just emphasizing.... DO NOT INSTALL DIRECTX9.

I had the same problem when Genesis came out and had to re-do my entire prefix. Wine and the newer animated screens do not seem to like each other. If you do not install directx and just use the built in directx you get the old login screens and you get better results.

Still don`t work for me...
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2011
    Back at home and now PWI is working on wine 1.2 like it used to do before :)

change built in first then native from msvcrt also got (d3dx9_36,not sure if needed. Didn't test without)
  • elieli
    edited November 2011
    Maybe what I should get from you is a step by step of what you're doing. The configuraton that you are mentioning should work just fine. Maybe there's the clue. My first question would be what version of wine are you running? Again.... my first suggestion would be completely delete your .wine folder an (ehchem) start again (sorry about that).
    edited November 2011
    Back at home and now PWI is working on wine 1.2 like it used to do before :)

change built in first then native from msvcrt also got (d3dx9_36,not sure if needed. Didn't test without)

Still don`t work...
    edited November 2011
    im having the same problem as Christianlej
    and nothing seems to fix it...

[edit]:
    im trying now to install the latest version of wine and directX

[edit] didnt work, still crashing after pressing start on launcher
  • elieli
    edited November 2011
    There is an excellent howto at:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923

Look for the "HOWTO Section"

You will need to use winetricks to install core fonts and vcrun6sp6.

And of course you will need to ensure that the msvcrt library is edited to builtin, native.

Unfortuneately this is the best that I can do to help.
    edited November 2011
    There is an excellent howto at:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923

Look for the "HOWTO Section"

You will need to use winetricks to install core fonts and vcrun6sp6.

And of course you will need to ensure that the msvcrt library is edited to builtin, native.

Unfortuneately this is the best that I can do to help.

Doesn`t helped me sorry b:cry
  • rikugx
    rikugx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Still no real solution to this prolem?....wow 2 days no pw and this is supposed to be my hollidays.....

thanks PWI for putting out such a fvcked up patch <.<*
    edited November 2011
    Still no real solution to this prolem?....wow 2 days no pw and this is supposed to be my hollidays.....

thanks PWI for putting out such a fvcked up patch <.<*

I giveup for today b:sad

I dont think pwi will give us a solution because officially linux is not supported
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited November 2011
    i think this is totally unfair since i payed enough into this damn game i DEMAND to play it!

I just payed another 9Euro JUST BEFORE THAT FREAKIN UPDATE WICH FVCKED UP THE DAMN GAME!

Now i cant even redeem what i paid for!

I demand any GM to ******n answer here and give a fvckung solution to those who pay this game!

QQ moar dude, Linux isn't supported. They have said they don't support it. You running on Linux is your choice.

Those of us out here using Linux are more than happy to help out. Typically I'm right there at the forefront of it, but haven't had time to play on my Linux box lately, hell it's still running 11.04.

Now if you have something helpful to post, feel free. If you're going to rage about it, just shut down your PC, go play outside, and GTFO of here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    QQ moar dude, Linux isn't supported. They have said they don't support it. You running on Linux is your choice.

Those of us out here using Linux are more than happy to help out. Typically I'm right there at the forefront of it, but haven't had time to play on my Linux box lately, hell it's still running 11.04.

Now if you have something helpful to post, feel free. If you're going to rage about it, just shut down your PC, go play outside, and GTFO of here.

Don`t be rude man... we just want help ok? b:chuckle
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2011
    Well as I get it working I try to post everything clearly here

WineHQ 1.2.3
    3d3x9_36
    vcrun6sp6

Regedits done like on WineHQ site suggest

From wine configuration
    under libraries tab:
    msvcrt(builtin,native) // if (native,builtin) it doesn't work

for me this works perfetly

I repeat myself
    I got in game with wine1.3.28 (didn't try any other 1.3.xx versions) but since it has the known icon problem I didn't try to solve it myself but if you want to run game with 1.3.28 version do not have vcrun6 as soon as i removed that, 1.3.28 ran the game well.

+1 to Sylen
    this is not right place to rage
    edited November 2011

Regedits done like on WineHQ site suggest

Witch thing you changed there? Still can`t run the game...
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2011
    screenshotat20111103223.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    edited November 2011
    screenshotat20111103223.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Still can`t run the game... and i have this config`s.

itUcwXRtiEjAi.png

Next

ibxo1I3Xcnxy7t.png

finally

iim4EVGZuhqqJ.png

For sure the game still doesn`t work... b:sad Please help...