Censorship Petition

Options

Comments

• Jatoni - Sanctuary
    Jatoni - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This was obviously No mistake, they're doing it to drive customers to quit. They know how jacked up america is (no offense) to put something crude in their names to have it "cope" with a heavy censor and too heavy it is, Come on you can't even say Flipping JAPAN!!!. The censor Forces stars in your name, which makes you un-pmable (basically non existant in the game through whispers and possibly invites) Plan here is to make the player rage quit so they can say "Haha we got alot of that guys Money so who cares we won't put it back."They really crossed the line now (even though i'm not a victim) Just hate corruption like i hate Gangsta rap music.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well I'm sure the FCC and whatever federal agency handles video games does require there to be a filter of some sort

why on earth would there even BE a federal agency to handle video games? we've got too many federal (and state) bureaucrats with swelled heads from micromanaging things that don't need managing at all already.

the ESRB, if i've understood it correctly, is a private entity composed of videogame business interests. the LAST thing we need is to hand it the coercive power of government, it's unaccountable enough as it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Doesn't change the fact that most parents are the most anal retentive people who are so incompetent that they would rather rage at companies for monitoring their children then doing it themselves. Especially since they can hold up the power card "Sue!" and use it to threaten companies like PWE to get what they want :s Probably the only reason PWI even has a censor.

As I said before, not their responsibility.
    And Jatoni, these forums really don't need anymore brain diarrhea
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ON a side note, obscenity is not protected by freedom of speech in the United States.

freedom of speech only applies to government actions, not to private parties. besides which, the legal definition of "obscenity" even within freedom-of-speech jurisdiction in the USA has always been pretty much deliberately vague and unclear. that famous judge's quote about "i know it when i see it" was about this fact, after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    LadyTsuki - Harshlands Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    As I said before, not their responsibility.

I know it's not. And yet we have a censor filter.

Look the issue just started yesterday, let's be a little more patient send them some tickets with helpful suggestions instead of pissing and moaning till our head turns blue. The former is productive, the latter does nothing. Besides make me laugh hard.
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

Died as a cleric, reincarnated into a mystic.
    edited June 2011
    Options

Look the issue just started yesterday, let's be a little more patient send them some tickets with helpful suggestions instead of pissing and moaning till our head turns blue. The former is productive, the latter does nothing. Besides make me laugh hard.

the fact that you said sending tickets is actually being productive makes me laugh hard as well :U ijs
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Uh, no. PWI's terms and conditions gives parents no legal recourse to sue because it mandates all players be over the age of 18 and lets parents know they can't be held liable if their kid chooses to circumvent the age limit. ON a side note, obscenity is not protected by freedom of speech in the United States. Not to mention that all websites that accept people of certain age limits have a legal responsibility to deliver what they promised contractually to deliver. Most parents are not running around suing sites that dont' deserve it. If you open your site to 13 years old, and say that children are welcome you have a legal responsilibilty to provide them with a safe atmosphere. A parent shouldn't have to monitor their kids 24/7 and it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to do so. What they can do is let their kids know that they are only allowed to go to certain websites, and they have to be right to be angry if that website doesn't deliver what it contractually promised. Just like any contract under the sun. You can't sign a contract promising to pay someone for their service, get the service and then refuse to pay. Likewise they can't be expected to be paid if they don't deliver what they promise.

That being said they also stupidly said in their ToS that they would keep it clean, which means that people could threaten to sue if they don't make some attempt at doing so. Since they are too lazy and/or cheap to get some more game moderators they choose to use a filter. A really, really stupid filter that is far too aggressive and is censoring things that aren't dirty including things their own bosses yell and armor they designed. It's interrupting game play and was clearly a dumb mistake. They said that they are going to fix it, but who knows.

Well actually it is a parent's job to make sure their child is safe. So yes parent's should do their job and monitor what they do online. When I was online I wasn't allowed on certain sites and didn't even own my own computer, plus my parents did block some sites as did the schools. It's irresponsible for a parent to push it on the schools and the companies to monitor their kids for them, in my eyes a parent that does that shouldn't have had kids to begin with. I'm very unsympathetic to parents that are so incompetent and lazy to force a company or site to enforce sites so that their kids are better protected. They should sit with their kids while they are online or enforce some form of guidelines so that they understand whatever dangers that are out there.
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

• Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    you can only invite players with censored names through "T"
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    freedom of speech only applies to government actions, not to private parties. besides which, the legal definition of "obscenity" even within freedom-of-speech jurisdiction in the USA has always been pretty much deliberately vague and unclear. that famous judge's quote about "i know it when i see it" was about this fact, after all.

Oh, this I know. I just figured I'd throw it out there that no matter where we are all talking about be it private entities or public institutions, obscenity isn't what the law is referring to when it says freedom of speech. Which basically means that PWI is well within it's rights to implement the censor if it chooses and there isn't anything anyone could about it. On the other hand, governments can intervene on private business if they are showing obscene materials to children so it is the companies responsibility not to do so. This obscenity clause is left vague intentionally because the supreme court of the usa didn't want to limit art forms nor limit the rights of the people for legal redress since it's something that is definitely a case-by-case basis. I think they made the right decision there. I was just pointing out that if a company says they will provide a place that children can go to they have a legal responsibility to provide such an environment. It's a parents responsibility to make sure they are doing what they said, but a parent has the reasonable right to assume that the company will do what it said it was going to do in their contract with the parent. And that not even the strictest helicopter parent can be with their child 24/7.

None of this talk of who is responsible or not really matters in the case of PWI though because their terms of service does not open it up to those who are under the age of 18. IT specifically says if you are under 18, you are entering at your own risks bypassing their ToS and thus they can't be held liable for any damages that may occur to you because of that. They actually take it a step further and say the age of majority in your country since some countries actually feel that age should be older.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    the fact that you said sending tickets is actually being productive makes me laugh hard as well :U ijs

Or try live chat where you're actually talking to someone. Being a developer is hard work, and as much as I know about programming from my engineering father is that programming is hard and complicated. When you fix one problem in the design, about 20 other ones surface. You are constantly improving any and everything as a problem arises, and it takes time to fix a single problem. Developers aren't Gods, as much as we joke around that they are. They're got a lot on their plate, instead of ******** and insulting them, be patient :s

• Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

Tickets are worthless things. The forum, however, they listen to... eventually, if the issue is clearly their fault and the community outrage is loud enough. It's happened before (and let me tell you, it can get ugly... I've seen this community get ugly).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My apologies for the (possible?) double-post, the edit function is bugging for me right now.

So,
    EDIT:
    Or try live chat where you're actually talking to someone. Being a developer is hard work, and as much as I know about programming from my engineering father is that programming is hard and complicated. When you fix one problem in the design, about 20 other ones surface. You are constantly improving any and everything as a problem arises, and it takes time to fix a single problem. Developers aren't Gods, as much as we joke around that they are. They're got a lot on their plate, instead of ******** and insulting them, be patient
    As one person already said in this thread, this whole debacle could have easily been prevented through actually testing the patch before they released it. Programming is complex, yes, but there's still no excuse for laziness.

The only reason this situation warrants any patience is because the devs are in China and that means there will be a communication lag. However, that has not stopped PWE from using that to excuse ludicrously long waits for solutions in the past. >_>

And I have never gotten anyone on live chat in the 2.5+ years I've played this game. No one seems to man it, ever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well actually it is a parent's job to make sure their child is safe. So yes parent's should do their job and monitor what they do online. When I was online I wasn't allowed on certain sites and didn't even own my own computer, plus my parents did block some sites as did the schools. It's irresponsible for a parent to push it on the schools and the companies to monitor their kids for them, in my eyes a parent that does that shouldn't have had kids to begin with. I'm very unsympathetic to parents that are so incompetent and lazy to force a company or site to enforce sites so that their kids are better protected. They should sit with their kids while they are online or enforce some form of guidelines so that they understand whatever dangers that are out there.

Nope, if you enter a contract with someone you have to follow the terms of the contract irrespective of personal opinion. Those sites say that they are for 13 years and up, then parents and anyone else for that matter have a reasonable right to assume that they are going to do what they said they will in the contract. If they refuse to honor the contract, the parents have every right to complain or if it gets down to it, sue, if they want too. If you as a consumer want to go to a place that is catering the content to be family friendly, then I have no sympathy for you if you choose to behave yourself in a manner that is inappropriate for your surroundings. If you don't want to be in a family friendly atmosphere, do not do business with those companies that want the business of small children. You won't find me playing games on Disney online just for that reason because I don't want to talk like or interact with seven year olds. Personal opinions on parenting are not law, honoring contracts is the law. Plain and simple really.

That being said, in the case of PWI the contract in question explicitly states that this site is for 18+ so restricting the site so much based off what a child could hear is stupid. Children shouldn't be here. We have a reasonable right to assume that if their is a child here, they have heard these words before or that their parents are monitoring their chat. Now the disruptive chatter in world chat is different because the ToS also clearly states that this kind of thing that interrupts game play through the use of vulgarity isn't allowed either. If PWI wanted to bring things in line with their ToS and crack down on the violations, without hiring more gms, they should have applied the filters only to world chat and general chat NOT to private conversations via the other chat channels. They also should have not filtered out guild/character names and instead ran a filter through the names that were flagged and had a person go through them and find out which ones were actually offensive and ban them accordingly and set a perma ignore on the filter for people whose names were innocent. In addition, they should have used a smarter filter list the one that is currently implemented and is ridiculous and doesn't work. It's filtering stuff out that it has no business filtering. Such as innocent words like identity, chastity, Japan, Nigeria, etc. But i guess that would have just made too much sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My apologies for the (possible?) double-post, the edit function is bugging for me right now.

So,
    EDIT:
    As one person already said in this thread, this whole debacle could have easily been prevented through actually testing the patch before they released it. Programming is complex, yes, but there's still no excuse for laziness.

The only reason this situation warrants any patience is because the devs are in China and that means there will be a communication lag. However, that has not stopped PWE from using that to excuse ludicrously long waits for solutions in the past. >_>

And I have never gotten anyone on live chat in the 2.5+ years I've played this game. No one seems to man it, ever.

Well I've done live chat about 3 times in a few weeks and did get someone who actually helped me with a few solutions to any problems that I had. Live chat is actually great, you just have to be a bit patient and wait, and they also go through their proper channels :)

• nothingtosaynow
    nothingtosaynow Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Im wondering about the amount of just dump ppl.... exuse me its just true... do any of u that cry like "a filter is needed" think in any reasonable way?

It was told that much in this thread... a filter wont work whatever laws say, whatever cauntry, whatever parents do or want.... and so on...

U can do a filter... it dont help... u can do a filter like make it on or off... to have the filter on: wont help... the guys that like to write some bad things will just use l33t, point, replace letters, take spacehits in it and so on... there will be allways a way for EVERY word.

The next is... what already actually happend is... there things in the game cencored like playernames or factionsnames... these players arent able to play in a normal way anymore... and the best is their names are not that bad as the filter makes to them... like g.r.a.s.s.h.o.p.p.e.r, whatever country u are look what it means... its a simply word of an insect... thats all... they look funny and have nothing to do with sex or anything what u make it bad... the only thing in this word is... after gr there is another word in... thats a bad word... and that make another word that is just so normal and used in childstorys as well to a badword too? thats weird

A next is ... and i said it before... itemnames, discriptions... hell u cant spell the name of the 70 light armor....and thats it what u want? u want do ur filter on option to dont read items? rofl Ok im sure... u will say now... no thats not i want or anything like that...

But there is still more... in what kind of behind the moon u live that u dont get the info... our childs know that words already... that mom u talked about... lol maybe she should move her... u know what... to a place of the world and keep her eyes open... the best way to protect kids is to show them what is bad not to make their eyes off or make all with cencor so that they cant see... if u try that and maybe u find a way to do it for some time... the time will end for sure... as latest when the child is adult and then it will have a big surprise a bad one so far... good job then rofl

sry but i get crazy when i see ppl write like they live behind the moon... i dont know if i should start cry about it, or laugh or if i should say its anyway, the only i know is the filter need to be removed and NO FILTER would work, there is allways a way

Greets
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nope, if you enter a contract with someone you have to follow the terms of the contract irrespective of personal opinion. Those sites say that they are for 13 years and up, then parents and anyone else for that matter have a reasonable right to assume that they are going to do what they said they will in the contract. If they refuse to honor the contract, the parents have every right to complain or if it gets down to it, sue, if they want too. If you as a consumer want to go to a place that is catering the content to be family friendly, then I have no sympathy for you if you choose to behave yourself in a manner that is inappropriate for your surroundings. If you don't want to be in a family friendly atmosphere, do not do business with those companies that want the business of small children. You won't find me playing games on Disney online just for that reason because I don't want to talk like or interact with seven year olds. Personal opinions on parenting are not law, honoring contracts is the law. Plain and simple really.

That being said, in the case of PWI the contract in question explicitly states that this site is for 18+ so restricting the site so much based off what a child could hear is stupid. Children shouldn't be here. We have a reasonable right to assume that if their is a child here, they have heard these words before or that their parents are monitoring their chat. Now the disruptive chatter in world chat is different because the ToS also clearly states that this kind of thing that interrupts game play through the use of vulgarity isn't allowed either. If PWI wanted to bring things in line with their ToS and crack down on the violations, without hiring more gms, they should have applied the filters only to world chat and general chat NOT to private conversations via the other chat channels. They also should have not filtered out guild/character names and instead ran a filter through the names that were flagged and had a person go through them and find out which ones were actually offensive and ban them accordingly and set a perma ignore on the filter for people whose names were innocent. In addition, they should have used a smarter filter list the one that is currently implemented and is ridiculous and doesn't work. It's filtering stuff out that it has no business filtering. Such as innocent words like identity, chastity, Japan, Nigeria, etc. But i guess that would have just made too much sense.
    The current filter runs through all words that contain one or more letter that also exists in profanity. Like for instance J a p is in Japan and Japanese. J a p is a racial slur existing since World War II, and possibly longer than that so that's not a "harmless word". Same with the title Kuro****suji, the title of a popular anime series has the word **** in it. Yes they should use a smarter filter, or leave it as an option for us.

And contract or no contract it is still a parent's responsibility to monitor their kids. They had the kids, it's their job to protect them. Stop giving parents the excuse to be incompetent anal retentive morons :s. If a parent doesn't want to monitor their kids, they shouldn't have had them in the first place :|

edited June 2011
    Options
    Or try live chat where you're actually talking to someone. Being a developer is hard work, and as much as I know about programming from my engineering father is that programming is hard and complicated. When you fix one problem in the design, about 20 other ones surface. You are constantly improving any and everything as a problem arises, and it takes time to fix a single problem. Developers aren't Gods, as much as we joke around that they are. They're got a lot on their plate, instead of ******** and insulting them, be patient :s

Was Their own stupid mistake that lead to this issue. ijs. You really should have seen the banned words list it was....insane.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Was Their own stupid mistake that lead to this issue. ijs. You really should have seen the banned words list it was....insane.
    Well why is their a filter to begin with?

And I don't care to see the banned words list. I can probably get passed that by looking up a list of German words that can act as an equivalent and just use those from now on -shrugs- I mean that's what makes people complaining it about it so funny to me. lol.

Again makes me glad that I use words out of my crappy Japanese dictionary and or mythological Gods for my character names xDDD And if they got censored then I'd make a new character that wouldn't be censored lol.

edited June 2011
    Options
    The current filter runs through all words that contain one or more letter that also exists in profanity. Like for instance J a p is in Japan and Japanese. J a p is a racial slur existing since World War II, and possibly longer than that so that's not a "harmless word". Same with the title Kuro****suji, the title of a popular anime series has the word **** in it. Yes they should use a smarter filter, or leave it as an option for us.

And contract or no contract it is still a parent's responsibility to monitor their kids. They had the kids, it's their job to protect them. Stop giving parents the excuse to be incompetent anal retentive morons :s. If a parent doesn't want to monitor their kids, they shouldn't have had them in the first place :|

You can't be with a kid 24/7, I'm not saying it's okay to be a bad parent. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying that if a parent looks closely at the ToS, monitors their kids while they are playing the game and then gets up and goes get dinner they shouldn't have to come back in to check on them and find out that little Timmy now knows a bunch of fun new words and has questions that he really isn't ready to handle yet. That is just one scenario that can easily pop up when a company isn't doing the job it is supposed to do. I think a parent that is willing to take on public scorn and spend thousands of dollars on legal fees against a company that has millions to spend on taking them down, but does so anyway because they are genuinely concerned for not just their kids but also children in general, probably isn't the worlds worst parent like you are making them out to be.

But either way we feel about parents doesn't matter. What matters is the law. And the law says if you make a contract with someone, you have to honor it. Your freedom of choice and speech comes in that you do not have to do business with companies who missions and contracts you disagree with. So if a company decides it wants to have a family friendly environment, you don't have to business with them. If you do decide to anyway, you have to hold up your end of the bargain and censor yourself. If you choose not to, and get banned, you can only blame yourself. I have no sympathy for you if you choose to behave yourself in a manner that is inappropriate for your surroundings. That isn't the issue here, the issue here is that people were doing what they were supposed and the filter still messes up their game play. Furthermore, these people DID in fact go to a game that was for mature audiences and are now having a filter shoved down their throats inappropriately because PWI has decided to censor our private conversations amongst people who all claim to be the age of majority. That's just stupid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • brazenbusboy
    brazenbusboy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I am so sick of seeing 8 year old bathroom humor player names, I am glad to see this change. If you had such an account, serves you right for spamming us all with your potty mouthed handle.
    Just some guy
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I am so sick of seeing 8 year old bathroom humor player names, I am glad to see this change. If you had such an account, serves you right for spamming us all with your potty mouthed handle.

The filter is banning country names like: Japan, Niger, Nigeria. It's also banning innocent words like identity, chastity, etc. It's also censoring in game armor and dialogue from boss monsters. So the filter is too strict and messing up the game play of innocent people. Also you can't say grasshopper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well why is their a filter to begin with?

And I don't care to see the banned words list. I can probably get passed that by looking up a list of German words that can act as an equivalent and just use those from now on -shrugs- I mean that's what makes people complaining it about it so funny to me. lol.

Again makes me glad that I use words out of my crappy Japanese dictionary and or mythological Gods for my character names xDDD And if they got censored then I'd make a new character that wouldn't be censored lol.

Some people put a lot of money and time into their char, simply making a new one isn't an option they'd happily take. The filter is here to censor words within reason, yes some..such as Chin.chilla are ridiculous, but they were too few to do any harm. They did provide a good laugh.

But this unnessecary expansion of censoring has the potential to cause some pretty big issues. The level of carelessness demonstrated by management is not excusable or acceptable imo.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    interesting words coming from the brazen one..

Brazen \Bra"zen\, adjective[OE. brasen, AS. br[ae]sen. See {Brass}.]

1. Pertaining to, made of, or resembling, brass.

2. Sounding harsh and loud, like resounding brass.

3. Impudent; immodest; shameless; having a front like brass; as, a brazen countenance.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    the poll says it all
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • Chardenelle - Heavens Tear
    Chardenelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    b:surrender The people who are saying no to changing the filter back or just changing it in some way are the ones that haven't been affected by it so they wouldn't understand.
    There are plently of innocent victims here. You don't have to have an intentionally vulgar name, with the poorly executed filter that we have now.

This has been said many times, but for those who tl;dr, there are a lot of words that couldn't possibly be offensive that are still censored.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Some people put a lot of money and time into their char, simply making a new one isn't an option they'd happily take. The filter is here to censor words within reason, yes some..such as Chin.chilla are ridiculous, but they were too few to do any harm. They did provide a good laugh.

But this unnessecary expansion of censoring has the potential to cause some pretty big issues. The level of carelessness demonstrated by management is not excusable or acceptable imo.

That's a bad excuse. I've spent anywhere from $20-$80 per month on my first cleric last year from September-July. And I made a new archer that was lvl 60, and now a lvl 57 cleric. There are other ways of gearing up a character besides irl money you know :s If I've had soon to be 3 mains that will be leveled either to lvl 60 and or past lvl 60 spending money on it or little money at all, I'm pretty sure everyone can do it. In fact....they can. :s

• Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Seriously, at the very least, if you are going to put so many ridiculous words on your filter, make the filter able to recognize the beginning and end of those words. How hard could it be to make only "***" with a space before and after, filtered? Not that it is necessary anyway but seriously... why are you letting it take portions out of totally innocent words and players' names?

Also, I personally am not too keen on your reply, Frankie. I rather expected to have you say that either the filter would be reversed to pre-patch ways, or it would be made optional. Removing *some* words may not free up all players to play again, you do realize? Or are you going to print out a giant list of all player names and check to see what words they entail? Go back to how it was before the patch. We were all fine with that. (And by the way, you do realize people just put one . in the word to circumvent the filter in world chat... the only people this filter is harming are the innocent ones, ijs.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Chardenelle - Heavens Tear
    Chardenelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That's a bad excuse. I've spent anywhere from $20-$80 per month on my first cleric last year from September-July. And I made a new archer that was lvl 60, and now a lvl 57 cleric. There are other ways of gearing up a character besides irl money you know :s If I've had soon to be 3 mains that will be leveled either to lvl 60 and or past lvl 60 spending money on it or little money at all, I'm pretty sure everyone can do it. In fact....they can. :s

There are people who have lvl 101 characters with Rank 9, which I'm sure that if you know anything about the game, it's difficult to grind enough to get enough coin to buy that, if you don't pay real money, who have been censored, and it wasn't their fault.
    Lvl 60 is nothing in this game.
    There's plenty of people who have lost everything in this game. As in, literally thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work. You don't have enough experience playing this game to say that's nothing.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    b:surrender The people who are saying no to changing the filter back or just changing it in some way are the ones that haven't been affected by it so they wouldn't understand.
    There are plently of innocent victims here. You don't have to have an intentionally vulgar name, with the poorly executed filter that we have now.

This has been said many times, but for those who tl;dr, there are a lot of words that couldn't possibly be offensive that are still censored.

Yes but having an optional filter would at least free those whose names are censored if the majority chose to not filter their chat.

• morrinarian
    morrinarian Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    funny how I can still say "dumbass" in game but I cant say gr.as.s.ho.p.p.e.r LOL