Censorship Petition

Options

Comments

• truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey guys, remember that post way back when by Kanto about how they supposedly test out all the patches on a GM only test server first? Apparently, either all the GMs who test there are saints who never use innocent words with alternative meanings... or they're lousy at their job and should probably be fired.

Either way, PW has taken this (stupid) censorship BEYOND too far this time.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    Hey guys, remember that post way back when by Kanto about how they supposedly test out all the patches on a GM only test server first?

sure they do.

"hey, did the new patch apply cleanly when you downloaded it from the test server?"
    "sure did, and the patched client even connected successfully to the test server afterwards!"
    "huge success, ship the product."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What's sad is that that's probably an entirely accurate representation of the extent of the "testing" they do here.
  • mikasanomiya
    mikasanomiya Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have 3 characters in PWI, on the same server. MikasaOni, YukoShoppe and MikasaAkuma. All are legit names, none have anything to do with cuss words, or sexual remarks, however, when I sign on as my seeker, (MikasaAkuma) it blurs out the last part of my name, preventing ppl from PMing me. This is unacceptable. I have put actual cash into this game, I expect this issue to be resolved in the next 24-48 hours. No I will not change my name, seeing as though Akuma, means Demon in Japanese. It is not a cuss word, and I could give a **** if *kum* happens to be part of the spelling. So here is a nice suggestion; you WILL put in an optional Filter. It is very simple, u click the filter on, if u are a child or don't like cussing or rude language, or u click the filter off, if u happen to be an adult and live in the real world, like most of PWI's population. PWI, u have been **** up left and right, and this time, you have gone too far. I have put solid money into this game, and I expect to be treated like a customer. I have put up with your rubber band glitches, your lack of maintaining this game (on all fronts) and finally, your lack of care for your customers. You need a lesson in business ethics. I am going to say this once more, fix your game, not tomorrow, not a week a from now, not a month from now, not a year from now.....fix it now, take all of that hard earned money, you have received from us, (YOUR CUSTOMERS) and fix your game!
  • Norala - Dreamweaver
    Norala - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    First of all, online petitions never work.

Second, I vote that we instead remove the filter altogether and replace all bad words with the word "smurf".

Who's with me? b:chuckleb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Scuzeme - Dreamweaver
    Scuzeme - Dreamweaver Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

Second, I vote that we instead remove the filter altogether and replace all bad words with the word "smurf".

noty really comfy with the word smurf either,
    they are bleu and roundish like balls,

Ssmurfme doesnt sound close to Scuzeme at all
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

What the smurf? What are you smurfing smoking? Thats probly the smurfiest idea i've ever smurfing heard... b:laugh
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • KuiXing - Harshlands
    KuiXing - Harshlands Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ijs but "weed" and "eat me" shouldnt be censored, I was in a wedding today and this guys name kept coming out as **** ._.'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the best mom ever, she brought me drugs and fruit juice - Reavღ
    Challenge accepted I'm going to go blow up the sun - FanFon
    Those crabs are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going... - Wildsblade
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey all, there were definitely too many additions to the chat filter, and we're working now to reduce its size. We'll also continue tweaking as necessary.

I'll let you know when the first changes roll out.
  • __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver
    __Astarte__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey all, there were definitely too many additions to the chat filter, and we're working now to reduce its size. We'll also continue tweaking as necessary.

~Tomorrow Morning~

"Hey guys! We fixed the filter and it'll be fixed with the next maintenance."

~3 Weeks Of No-Maintenance Later...~

"Hey guys! The chat filters should be fixed now. =)"
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.
  • NOTREAL - Archosaur
    NOTREAL - Archosaur Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

Too many? The filter was fine as it was, there was no need whatsoever to change ANY of it!

Undo the damn change, its ****ing stupid.
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I vote they put an on and off switch for the censor then i would have no issues with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    Lu$t - Sanctuary Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Family Guy moment anyone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero~
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDPT0Ph5rA

Rename the fcc to pwi. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yea..this **** needs to be changed.

You can't even say words like treatment or circumstances in game anymore. God knows what other words you can't say..
  • Shadowthin - Dreamweaver
    Shadowthin - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I am too lazy to read 11 pages about the censoring update, at past 4am, so maybe everything i willsay had beed said already.
    So what... what the big deal with this censoring -censored- silly update? Honestly, what pass through your two ears when you have made that? Everything hasnt to be said on chats and all, which i can understand, but what did you think about making all that creepy things, Misters devs and gms? I still can write the words you have banned, even if i have to write it in L33T, and even, you forgot some, and put some we dont even see why it is in.
    What you staff have against japanese people, against aperitive biscuits, against Niger and Nigeria (or should i write N.i.g.e.r and N.i.g.e.r.i.a), which are 2 african countries, why cannabis is not in you list when m.a.r.i.j.u.a.n.a is? Why censoring t.i.t.s, but not ****? What with eating people, cannot we be cannibalists? Guess i will stop there, but well, applying your silly censor to even censoring people and factions names, where are we going?
    Plus, i am french. Have you even tried to translate your list in french? What about killing a chicken chocking him? Do you sometimes think, just at least 2 seconds? I laughed so hard, really...
    So now, i am really wondering: did you mess april 1st with june 22nd? Or are you just lame like that?

*Waiting an answer from PWI staff, with all (the remains of) my consideration*

Ooooh *edit*: in case j.a.p.a.n.e.s.e is censored on the forums too <.<

*re-edit*: when i am saying i am waiting for an answer, i do not mean something like "we will work on our list" but why some words has been chosen.
  • Cy_Anara - Dreamweaver
    Cy_Anara - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You should have taken a bit of time to read-frankie,kritty,and shelly have all commented on this.

I really do hope this is changed...and soon! Utter nonsense that they never seem to test anything during these updates. I realize people would have a cow if the servers were not back up on time, but I would think most would appreciate the added effort. b:scorn And really what is the point of censoring say ..the word sh*t when we can paste a nice lil icon of a steamy pile.. I mean..come on.
  • Shadowthin - Dreamweaver
    Shadowthin - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    True, i should have taken a bit time to read everything, but i am lazy, at 4am. Also i guess some people i won't name (staff for example... ooops <.< >.>) should have taken a bit more time to think before adding flawed things in their update.

*edit* cos my english is not so good <.< .
  • Kuddadar - Sanctuary
    Kuddadar - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Adding my vote to stop this censor filtering until they could figure out how to do it right. Do some testing before throwing out on a maintenance.
  • gokuderakun395
    gokuderakun395 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Please do not forget to remove cyrillic letters from filter.
  • Zyro - Dreamweaver
    Zyro - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I need to be able to squad. I don't give a damn how they fix it.

the fact red neck as 1 word got censored and yankee did not....im from the south! I know 200 jeff foxworthy red neck jokes (many of which apply to me) and i openly share these jokes with my faction for our amusment. I am highly offended such a strict censor got put into place. Instead do what other games do and make a censor setting option. it isnt that complicated an element to put into a game.

and I strongly agree with everyone who mentions the censor is absurd for a game where its been stated so many times to be age 18+
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PWI is the only MMO I've ever played (and I've played a lot over the years) that has no filter option for the player base on an individual level. Instead, the filter is pushed upon everyone. That is one of the single biggest design flaws I've seen to date.

Communism needs to be stamped out. It's rather obvious that the system breeds massive stupidity in everything.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • jaxaether
    jaxaether Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'll begin by saying I agree with the sentiments of (nearly) everyone else that the updated chat filter clearly has problems and has significant and far reaching unintended implications for game play. I appreciate the efforts of staff to resolve the issues, especially for those innocent players/factions who have lost significant segments of their game play.

At the same time, world chat (at least on Sanctuary Server) is at times very offensive. A handful of players tend to use WC as their own personal sex chat channel, posting so frequently and obnoxiously (not to mention some sometimes pretty sordid content) that other players are unable to effectively use WC. To me, this isn't even about whether or not minors are reading the inappropriate chat. I'm no prude, I'm a grown adult with a pretty laid back hippie attitude, but I've gotten pretty sick and tired of this handful of dolts and their complete lack of self control, or respect for being in a public environment.

I know others have gotten sick of it too, and I suspect staff have been inundated with tickets and S/S, and a fair amount of mute and ban actions. Perhaps this is in reaction to that, perhaps not, idk.

It seems to me, as many others have mentioned, that people will get around any filters anyway. What we really need is more GM in-game participation. No need to filter "you will not def*****!" (e.at me) in nirvana when you can monitor WC and send a quick cautionary whisper to a player who has just WC'd his 3rd or 5th or flippin 10th sex+defecation comment in as many minutes.

So while I appreciate PWI's efforts to do something about a problem that is spiralling downhill, I also support actions to roll back the filter changes (and their unintended consequences) and take another stab at fixing the real problem--a minority of players who are apparently unable to play well without some serious adult (GM) supervision.
  • varenique
    varenique Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

>.> Couldn't you at least try reading the thread and listen to suggestions for once?
  • Veirdail - Heavens Tear
    Veirdail - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    option to turn on/off filter sounds like a pretty good idea..
    why can't we do that instead?
    you don't need to decrease the additions -.-
    just add the option
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    option to turn on/off filter sounds like a pretty good idea..
    why can't we do that instead?
    you don't need to decrease the additions -.-
    just add the option

Because the game is ran by communists. Choice isn't allowed.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey gaize. We'll be fixing the economy with moar and moar sales. Sit tight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Whats the point of filters if people cank just go around them with charcter play to get the meaning?
    re
  • Scuzeme - Dreamweaver
    Scuzeme - Dreamweaver Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hello guyz, I got an answer, it took awhile , but still considering the amount of work they had, it was sooner than |I expected.

I commented on the ticket positively, for I really felt the GMS and Tech support guyz really are concerned with it .
    Despite the fact I cant play with my character to the fullest extend at this moment , having the feeling that someone from PWI is doing something about it , makes me feel respected.
    Thumbs up
  • PanaBella - Heavens Tear
    PanaBella - Heavens Tear Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My humble opinion: The filter is well-meant but not well done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]