[Server Issues] 3-26-2011

Options

Comments

• Archiron - Dreamweaver
    Archiron - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    azurluen wrote: »
    Yup, there is a pattern. Thing is, I thought that since it's weekend, the attacker could be more annoying than usual. Like, maybe s/he doesn't go to school/work/wathever. Unless it's just a bot or something like that who starts/ends the attacks.

No. If they had time to organize some DDoS attack on a server host for no obvious reason, they are clearly still in grade school.
  • Arudesu - Dreamweaver
    Arudesu - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    azurluen wrote: »
    Yup, there is a pattern. Thing is, I thought that since it's weekend, the attacker could be more annoying than usual. Like, maybe s/he doesn't go to school/work/wathever. Unless it's just a bot or something like that who starts/ends the attacks.

I think someone else mentioned that once a computer was infected it more or less automatically attacked the server, and if that's the case then the person/persons involved wouldn't have to do much of anything to really **** us up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Archiron - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think someone else mentioned that once a computer was infected it more or less automatically attacked the server, and if that's the case then the person/persons involved wouldn't have to do much of anything to really **** us up.

Yes, It IS possible to infect other computers with a virus or a backdoor that makes it involuntarily in a DDoSing botnet. More the reason to go find antivirus programs like Avast! or Kaspersky or Microsoft security essentials (although that last one requires a VALID install of a windows OS,which means no pirating)
  • Istalkhim - Heavens Tear
    Istalkhim - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    well I can tell things are stable now. Postings are now to a crawl.

Thanks PWE for working hard an doing everything in your powers to keep servers up the best you can during this hard time.

Because Lord know the DDOS attack could have easily done a total wipe-out on the server an then no on could play or log in. Keep up the good work. b:victory
    b:questionb:irritated Why are the simplest things so hard for people to understand these days? b:puzzledb:surrenderb:shockedb:sad

b:beatup Well Because Common sense is rarely used these days. b:sadb:cryb:shutupb:bye
  • Blade_Queen - Dreamweaver
    Blade_Queen - Dreamweaver Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    TY TO ALL THE GM's AND THE PWE STAFF FOR NOT ONLY KNOWING THE PROBLEM BUT WORKING DILIGENTLY TO FIX IT.

hey arch, thnx for the stories.

bye all and tons of luck.

takes a brownie from jena, i did earn it. i gave you the heads up on the milk and possible beer napping. :P
  • BabaORiley - Dreamweaver
    BabaORiley - Dreamweaver Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    As someone who works with web servers, I can attest that DDOS attacks can be serious business. b:shocked

I want to commend PW for being upfront with the player community instead of putting up the usual corporate BS 'everything is peachy, nothing is wrong' kind of public relations baloney. b:victory

The player community should realize that DDOS attacks hurt PW. Every second a player cannot play, is time they cannot purchase or use items from the cash shop, reducing revenues needed to keep the service running. Thanks to PW for showing the generosity to provide the players with 2x drops etc. as a gesture of good will.

The least we can do is to say loud and clear,

WE SUPPORT PW

and all the staff at PW working to overcome these DDOS attacks.b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The exodus is here
    The happy ones are near
    BabaORiley
  • Archiron - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    TY TO ALL THE GM's AND THE PWE STAFF FOR NOT ONLY KNOWING THE PROBLEM BUT WORKING DILIGENTLY TO FIX IT.

hey arch, thnx for the stories.

bye all and tons of luck.

takes a brownie from jena, i did earn it. i gave you the heads up on the milk and possible beer napping. :P

Glad I could entertain!

Look out for a friend invite :)
  • FoxMeXCore - Sanctuary
    FoxMeXCore - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's damn ddos everyone, not something that can be fixed.

Basically someone or a group of people comand hundreds to thousands pc to filling up and slowing down pwe server, makes it un available for regular users.

Thousands-NO lOLOLOLOL

hundreds-doubt it

took 75 connected computers to take down AT&T serverrs down during a DDoS so doubt PWI servers are stronger than a credit card server
  • Archiron - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thousands-NO lOLOLOLOL

hundreds-doubt it

took 75 connected computers to take down AT&T serverrs down during a DDoS so doubt PWI servers are stronger than a credit card server

Actually, If the DDoS is being lead by Anonymous, then thousands is a damn good possibility. Note I said IF. They've been known to do this garbage before.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Got disconnected from RT again, and can't log back in (says account is logged in, force log doesn't help.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    ZeaKuro - Raging Tide Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Just finished TW then servers crashed, epic timing.

Great war btw. ^^
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
    1. One who murders by surprise attack, especially one who carries out a plot to kill a prominent person.
    synonyms: murderer, killer, gunman, executioner, informalhitman, hired gun.
    Latin assassnus; Greek δολοφόνος
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Got disconnected from RT again, and can't log back in (says account is logged in, force log doesn't help.)

same here
  • Exigent - Raging Tide
    Exigent - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sigh same =/ can login but can't enter game world, looks like the world map crashed =/
  • Mechsiao - Sanctuary
    Mechsiao - Sanctuary Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    *nods
  • Jenabug - Raging Tide
    Jenabug - Raging Tide Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sigh same =/

same thing hereb:surrender
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I was in RT, got disconnected, logged back in 5 minutes later and I'm back in nirvana, the P stones I used on my genie are back in my inventory and.. big part here, I'm totally stuck in nirvana.

Apparently everyone in RT that was in an instance is now stuck people are stuck in cube, nirvana, lunar, TT, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Dominatrixx - Raging Tide
    Dominatrixx - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ~sigh~ Makes you ponder WHAT they do with the money we shell out in bucket loads..b:angry
  • acanthas
    acanthas Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    same here

this is my problem as well
  • Jenabug - Raging Tide
    Jenabug - Raging Tide Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    71 bottles of beer on the wall, 71 bottles of beer on the wall, take one down, pass to the venos, 70 bottles of beer on the wall.

^^

goes back to my song..

70 bottles of beer on the wall, 70 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, 69 bottles of beer on the wall.
  • RedMeat - Raging Tide
    RedMeat - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    These constant DC's are honestly starting to make this barb mad with crazy anger, i was getting paid to lure mobs into an aoe and this happens now i might not get paid to pay my repair bill Thanks PWI I love you too
  • Lurani - Raging Tide
    Lurani - Raging Tide Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • BeingHope - Raging Tide
    BeingHope - Raging Tide Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    b:surrender
    Well... this sucks. XD
    Ah well, I'm sure they'll fix something................. soon enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
  • kitz6reywood
    kitz6reywood Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Its the PWIPocalypse!
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    back on, looks like the last 5 minutes or so i was on did not register b:surrender
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I feel bad for Russians, stuck inside of arch TW.

I can imagine the boss that heals himself for every person he kills. Get boss to 5%, mass DC, boss eats 20+ people, gets to full health.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • FoxMeXCore - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Actually, If the DDoS is being lead by Anonymous, then thousands is a damn good possibility. Note I said IF. They've been known to do this garbage before.

lol. Doubt anonymous or /b/ has anything to do with this. or the entire system would be down for days (i.e Scientology Websites AT&T etc)
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    These is a ddos wave to many various company even korea government network . . so not just pwe
    war 3 soon everyone :) lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • FoxMeXCore - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    Options
    These is a ddos wave to many various company even korea government network . . so not just pwe

Nothing new. cyber attacks on government networks happen daily b:bye

China got caught attacking US network months back
  • Archiron - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    These is a ddos wave to many various company even Korea government network . . so not just pwe

Lolwut..are you serious?

Some blind Bulgarian woman predicted that WW3 would start last November and nothing happened. Its not happening anytime soon..
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Amazingly enough, I've only died like 5 times in FC with bad lags. My PC didn't even start getting affected by all this till late last night. But it IS a pain a when you keep getting crashes and can't log back in without getting another crash in 2-3 mins.

I logged for the day after the 3rd crash.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.