[Server Issues] 3-24-11

Options

Comments

• Iserya - Sanctuary
    Iserya - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I really, really, think we don't have to worry about this. DDoS takes advantage of flooding the server with request the same as if thousands and thousands of people were online and very active.

What you are talking about it a significantly more serious breach, and if that occurs, PWI's sysadmins should go die in a fire.

I have no idea if it is somehow related, but i remember my anti virus alerting me of a trojan about a week ago when connecting to PWE game portal, and any main page of their games... Didn't pay much attention to it though since i thought it was a false positive but...

If some PWE users have been infected, could it be possible they're unintentionally playing a part in the current problems?
  • Veonita - Dreamweaver
    Veonita - Dreamweaver Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Who dares to ddos my dreamwaver b:angryb:angryb:angry
    I am:
    VeonitaMage Lvl 001 Mage
    LadyVeonita Lvl 034 Archer
    VeonitaMysti Lvl 055 Mystic
    $exyAlexis Lvl 090 Cleric
    $exyAIexis Lvl 092 Sin

Im in your Mind and I will never leave~
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think its really pretty idiotic of people to log in and then complain about getting disconnected constantly. Even more so that the servers remain up and running when the issue has in no way been resolved.

What do you think angers the players more? Is it not being able to log in for an indefinite length of time until the malicious attack is resolved? Or do you think it might aggravate people way more to be allowed to log into a game and then kicked offline randomly with much unpreventable death, item/charm waste, and seemingly zero explanation if they don't happen to frequent these forums?

Its like letting people walk blindly into a minefield instead of putting a fence around it until the mines are removed on the off chance they can avoid death and continue to spend $ at the giftshop (cash shop) on the environs. Mostly on replacement limbs (charms).

I know they owe us nothing, and the 2x is gonna be nice, but I'm not even playing this game until I can be reasonably assured that I won't be dced while aggroing ANYTHING only to return still being attacked or dead.

I'm not wasting event gold on the off chance I can actually make up for my coin/xp losses involved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I have no idea if it is somehow related, but i remember my anti virus alerting me of a trojan about a week ago when connecting to PWE game portal, and any main page of their games... Didn't pay much attention to it though since i thought it was a false positive but...

If some PWE users have been infected, could it be possible they're unintentionally playing a part in the current problems?

there is logic to it, i have heard from a number of friends that had this problem but they also assumed it was a false positive, if so how is it possible that alot of people i know got this virus popping up? Its very convenient to be honnest, i dont understand computer ethics that well but tis makes sense to me in a wayb:surrender
  • _walela_ - Heavens Tear
    _walela_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Well, I don't know what it was or of anyone else has had a similar issue, but I haven't logged into the game since Tuesday evening and I just tried.

First, at the client start up, not log in screen, my Windows Start button activated as if clicked and my Windows menu popped up. There was also a beeping from my internal speaker along with it. Nothing had been clicked and no keys on the keyboard were pecked. I didn't even have my hands on my keyboard at that moment. Sent it away and continued with log in.

Then, after logging in successfully, I summoned my pet and killed one monster and my screen went black and my PC restarted in BIOS mode with no apparent reason. No AVG or Zone Alarm alerts and nothing in my logs. Windows is working fine. This only happened when I activated the game client and logged in. Now I am scared to activate the client again. I can't risk hurting my PC. It is old and I cannot replace it.

So, I guess I am out of the game until all existing security issues are resolved.

If anyone else has had something similar to this happen, please post it in detail. I am sure the information will be useful in getting it all fixed.
    Walela = Cherokee = Hummingbird b:cute
  • Faithlezz - Lost City
    Faithlezz - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Who the hell made a DDOS? Burn them!
  • ChillaKilla - Sanctuary
    ChillaKilla - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hey guys i got this kind of prob ill try to log in game says unable to connect to server
    then it just worked yesterday then i dced
    and it didnt work till 10mins ago then i loged after like 24hrs in and like 5mins of ingame
    i dced from the game and now i cant log in again thats the third time in 1 week thats screwes

i hope u guys can solve this prob would be nice to get back to playin without 14-18hrs time interval till u can log in back and dc 5mins laterz with the same prob xD
  • Wunderkind - Dreamweaver
    Wunderkind - Dreamweaver Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Frankie news posts don't show up on http://pwi.perfectworld.com
    Currently: pwcalc.com/b4c92dacf1da8c21
  • Tigriss_o - Raging Tide
    Tigriss_o - Raging Tide Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think PWE should find the Aholes IP's and then DDOS them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think it's the wraiths. After half a dozen failed assaults on Archosaur they have found a far more dangerous and effective method of attack.

ily Asty b:kissb:heartb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hey everyone, so the the news is that the servers are now stabilized, and we've hopefully been through the worst of it, so feel free to hop in and enjoy your time once more :)
  • Kieli - Sanctuary
    Kieli - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thank you PWE staff for working so hard on this to get the games back online. Let's hope these ddos idiots don't attack again and that they will get caught.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Siggy made by me b:victory )
  • Articwiz - Heavens Tear
    Articwiz - Heavens Tear Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I believe that the DDoS attacks are the cause of PWI not fixing the current and past problems with PWI like rubber-banning. If you would fix problems instead of adding things. These problems probably would not happen.

People attack servers for fun but mainly to make others understand and prove a point. Fix the issues and do not add sales and **** until things are fixed. This is my own opinion about why someone would do this.

I enjoy playing PWI very much but lag and dcing is not my idea of fun. I know you will fix the issue but try and think outside the issue and to why someone might do this. Past posts on rubber-banning might be a first idea of why.
  • WritersBlock - Sanctuary
    WritersBlock - Sanctuary Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I haven't dc'd more than I usually do throughout all this b:shocked my internet connection can be pretty crappy sometimes b:surrender

The worst of it was when I was running around on my archer...but that was in arch/lag city soooo nothing new there either.

b:thanks thank you for fixing it and I also noticed that there's no news on the main page anymore...where'd it go? I refreshed three times to make sure...
    b:angry why isn't there a thumbs up smiley?!?!?!
  • LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear
    LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I believe that the DDoS attacks are the cause of PWI not fixing the current and past problems with PWI like rubber-banning. If you would fix problems instead of adding things. These problems probably would not happen.

People attack servers for fun but mainly to make others understand and prove a point. Fix the issues and do not add sales and **** until things are fixed. This is my own opinion about why someone would do this.

I enjoy playing PWI very much but lag and dcing is not my idea of fun. I know you will fix the issue but try and think outside the issue and to why someone might do this. Past posts on rubber-banning might be a first idea of why.

that almost sounds like a confession...

lol the "rubber band" problem is simple. Turn wings on, turn off, run away. DoS attack for that? lol nahh.
  • Wunderkind - Dreamweaver
    Wunderkind - Dreamweaver Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hey everyone, so the the news is that the servers are now stabilized, and we've hopefully been through the worst of it, so feel free to hop in and enjoy your time once more :)

Now what about 2x drops? You never put that back into the original post...
    Currently: pwcalc.com/b4c92dacf1da8c21
  • Articwiz - Heavens Tear
    Articwiz - Heavens Tear Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yea, turn on wings but to bad for the ones that do not have them b:sad ...... Rubber-banning is just a simple problem to most IT professionals but some get really annoyed with it. Some cannot just pull out a credit card and boutique a flyer. I am not complaining but just pointing out things why ppl would do harsh things to such wonderful mmo's like PWI.

I am sure some of the veteran players would like some old issues fixed b4 such things like packs, flyers, x2 exp and different sales are released but........ That is next to nothing on compliance........ hmmmm....Maybe someday things will be more like a "Perfect World"
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I haven't dc'd more than I usually do throughout all this b:shocked my internet connection can be pretty crappy sometimes b:surrender

The worst of it was when I was running around on my archer...but that was in arch/lag city soooo nothing new there either.

b:thanks thank you for fixing it and I also noticed that there's no news on the main page anymore...where'd it go? I refreshed three times to make sure...

Main Page is still having some issues, since the attacks are not completely gone yet--only been dealt with to the point where the game servers are stable. We should see less and less influence as time passes. If you want to read news posts, and posts aren't showing up on the main page, simply hit the "More" button to the right of "News"

Now what about 2x drops? You never put that back into the original post...

2x is still scheduled to start tomorrow at Noon :)
  • ArrowOHeaven - Lost City
    ArrowOHeaven - Lost City Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

More like flood the ddos attackers with trojans and shutdowncompnao virus's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DIE! I SAID DIE!
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    We still having intermittent problems with Lost City? The farthest I've been able to get is the character select screen in the past half hour or so. b:surrender
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

As I've stated before, tracking an ISP Isn't as easy as they make it in movies.

A simple P-to-P DoS attack can be traced, but larger scale ones like what we're experiencing? The person(s) most likely have set up cache's at multiple locations and possibly even using several PWI players ISPs to launch the packets.

And anyone with half a brain wouldn't use his or her own home computer to initiate an attack, but rather a public terminal. Like an Internet Cafe.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • CelestiaXx - Archosaur
    CelestiaXx - Archosaur Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Currently experiencing constant disconnect from Archosaur server.

...sucks too cos I've tried to kill Phlebo about 4 times then disconnecting when he's half dead. Are the servers still stable?
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Damn, I thought it was fixed. My husband has been trying to keep a shop up on his computer all day, but it's been DCing constantly. I've also been trying to go afk and do world quest on my alt, but coming back almost every 2 stops to a DC. It's not our internet I know, because everything else is working fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • Judo_ - Sanctuary
    Judo_ - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Have had no problems here regarding a DC or something of the sort ; just ran an FCC and was always under 100 MS the whole run.

My end is alright...b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tigriss_o - Raging Tide
    Tigriss_o - Raging Tide Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    As I've stated before, tracking an ISP Isn't as easy as they make it in movies.

A simple P-to-P DoS attack can be traced, but larger scale ones like what we're experiencing? The person(s) most likely have set up cache's at multiple locations and possibly even using several PWI players ISPs to launch the packets.

And anyone with half a brain wouldn't use his or her own home computer to initiate an attack, but rather a public terminal. Like an Internet Cafe.

You do realize I was being a smart *** right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • b0by
    b0by Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You are lucky you can at least log into game!
    When I enter my CharName and password, I see an empty page instead of my characters :(
    I'm having this problem since yesterday (could log in for few hours last night).
  • Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver
    Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dreamweaver dreamweaver dreamweaver...
    WTF is this??
    how many times do i gotta dc??b:sad
    all day long ??or all weekend long??
    I suggest free Tiger packs to all dreamweaver......200 packs per toon...(not that we'd get anything but tokens)b:surrender but still this is a-fkn-nnoying i cant relax....plz let meb:angry
    jeez
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaphirHealer - Archosaur
    SaphirHealer - Archosaur Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    People still Dc'ing on arch too..but not nearly as bad as last night :D
  • Skynyrd - Lost City
    Skynyrd - Lost City Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I remember a threat on a thread, somthin like "pwi will end for good tonight" I will find it!!! Oh yeah and this was a few hours before trouble started
  • Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver
    Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    server selection is saying dreamweaver and harsh are down....not just random ppl but the whole thingb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.