Best pet for veno

Options

Comments

• Reane - Sanctuary
    Reane - Sanctuary Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Magmite IS the best tank pet after the herc, not including pets that you put herc buff skills on, a pet's speed and size does not factor how well it can tank
    Magmite has the best HP and physical defense than any other pet.

Magmite has best pdef, yes, but best HP, i think shaduo is better (maybe by 100pts-ish) My golem at lvl 60 had a difficult time running TT60 SOLO. I used my cub instead. I found that cub overall took more damage because its pdef was lower than the magmite, but if the boss used a magic attack, cub survived while magmite = b:bye... so i think it really depends on what boss you fight. if youre fighting a physical oriented boss, magmite is definately better, its attack is higher and its pdef is higher, but if you fight a boss that likes magic, cub is a better bet cuz it can stand the magic and the physical. It just takes longer with cub because cubs are weak ._. just speaking from my own experiences :)
    Reane-archer-82
    HeavensRage-blademaster-65
    HeavenSorrow-venomancer-74
    Abby_G-assassin-57
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    My weapon, Glaives of Divinity, is currently +2 socketed with a flawless sapphire. My magic attack is 3776-5480.

I realize that grinding on earth mobs is the best option, but I must know...how were you killing mobs in 2 spells at 83? I can only manage that if the mob is sacrificial assault or weak. (or if I double spark/crit)

Your weapon doesn't seem to be behind then. It's not what I was using (still using actually, as I'm having a tough time getting 10 Dust of Devil) which is an Endless Ambiguity with a +6 and 2 immaculate sapphires but it should still be more than sufficient as you're not using something that's 20 levels behind or anything.

Anyways, at that level I stuck to the Cougaret's because I liked picking up the wine mats (I didn't bother with the herbs), the mobs died quick enough for me, and I enjoy being able to do envoys and/or oma's while grinding. It adds a bit more of a purpose to it and helps to break the grind up. At some point I moved to Rogueknights which were slower kills and less coin, but I had some reason for it... maybe I was able to double up on OMA's too, I don't really remember now.

As for how I kill mobs in two nukes? Part of it is the weapon, the other part is that I have both a herc and a nix, and on top of that I make lots of use of amplify. Simply having a pet that puts out more damage than the pig would reduce the number of nukes you need from 5 to 4. On top of that, amplify would further drop it from 4 to 3 (one every 30 seconds). Do you open with IW? Refresh it when it drops? Use lucky? (Personally, I try to avoid lucky on something that's not dying in the next few seconds due to aggro, a mob under 50% though is usually safe to use it on) Spark every time it's up? And so on, all of those things will get the rate down a good bit. Also, although I didn't seek out earth mobs, I made it a point to avoid wood mobs.

Anyways, a pet with high defense when grinding shines when it's being beat on by multiple mobs, if you're not using the pig that way, look at using another pet. The usefulness of a pet with a strong defense is proportional to just how often the pet is being hit after all.
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I've been looking for a pet that's decently fast, hits hard, and can survive aggro from 2-3 mobs at once without spam healing.

I do have an Eldergoth Marksman, and he seems to fit all the criteria...but I need to sink some serious coin into upgrading his skills. Right now, all he has are his starting skills. And with just bash as a damage skill, he kills at almost the same rate as my Shadou Cub...which is, slowly.

Also, while I rarely spark, (I prefer to save my sparks for nova, when my pet grabs multiple aggro) I do pretty much all the things you listed. I only use amplify on increased life and increased magic resistance mobs though.
  • iceknave
    iceknave Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I've been looking for a pet that's decently fast, hits hard, and can survive aggro from 2-3 mobs at once without spam healing.

I do have an Eldergoth Marksman, and he seems to fit all the criteria...but I need to sink some serious coin into upgrading his skills. Right now, all he has are his starting skills. And with just bash as a damage skill, he kills at almost the same rate as my Shadou Cub...which is, slowly.

Also, while I rarely spark, (I prefer to save my sparks for nova, when my pet grabs multiple aggro) I do pretty much all the things you listed. I only use amplify on increased life and increased magic resistance mobs though.
    I'm not as high as you are, but I mostly three shot monsters around my level and just use Roar on the Eldergoth Marksman to keep the monster focused on it (the 3 shot is very close to a 2 shot, probably just need my weapon refined another 1 or 2, which is gonna be a pain to do, :(, but eh, I'll cat shop for a bit and grind up some coin to buy the dragon orbs for the last few refines when the price of gold drops a bit more, since I plan on passing the weapon to an alternate character later on and plan to rep grind for a bit, already grinded 36 rep from one man armies, which is 720 kills...). Have it use Roar while you toss a venom scarab and the roar will clear away the aggro you gain from that and give it time to bash once, so the next set of 2 nukes from you + the normal attacks from the eldergoth will kill it. Just rinse and repeat and you'll be pretty surprised at how fast the xp piles up at times when everything dies in 2 hits or so.

If you're not nuking away with your pet, the kill speed is going to suck majorly since you can easily take off a good 1/3 to 1/2 a monster's hp with a single shot in under 3 seconds, while the pet will take several times that much time to deal the same amount of damage.
    Induction ID (Doomsbog): 3080068X031808024008351Z3f4d22
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Going from 3 to 2: After 2 - run toward mob as pet finishes to pick up drops. My weapon is only refined to +2 and no Saphire imbued.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • NecroKitty - Harshlands
    NecroKitty - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Earlier the discussion revolved around the cactopod. I thought it would be neat to have a range pet as well. I have been leveling up a catapod recently.

The range hitting ability has let me down. It does hit with range but not quite as i desired. When fighting a physical attack it spins and attacks shooting out spines but it stays within a distance were the mobs wacks away at it. It does not kite around but just stand face, and trade punches taking the physical attack from the mob.(I know how to turn off the skills BTW, so its not that.)

On the other hand it is a great little grinding pet. Has great attack damage and good enough defence to survive. If you like to take on 3 or 4 mobs than this would not be the pet for you. But 1 or 2 mobs at a time its the perfect pet. Hell, when i get it to the level of the mobs im fighting it might even be able to handle 3. I'm leveling it on 81 physical mobs now.

I have leveled cactopod to lvl 75 and it is much better than the level 2 wolfling. Compared to the level 2 scorpian i like the cactopod better as well, just comparing the stats. Plus you can turn off the skill and presto, you have a possible great lure for dugeons. More testing need to be done before i say its good lure for sure but im thinking it will make great lure.

Overall, i would recommend this pet. Just buy it flesh ream and bash and you got yourself one hell of a grinder pet. I will continue to level this pet, possible leaving wolfling and other pets behind.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yes, range pets won't... to invent a term 'autokite'.

They will stay where they are and keep fighting. You've got two options.

The easiest is to turn the attack skill off. That's enough with many mobs (the ones that are happy to stand off at range themselves) - the pet never gets close enough for the monster to start melee.

Alternately, you CAN manually kite, using 'follow me' and then putting it back on attack. That's probably more fiddly than it's worth though.

Edit: Oh, one thing I find marginally useful when I'm not truly lazy: Put the pet on no-skill, so that the attacks start at range, then trigger the skill manually once the monster closes. Gives you some advantage of damage whilst the monster is closing without the disadvantage of not using skills at all.

Amp on outdoors monsters? Wow. That seems truly over the top. And not really very efficient either - amp isn't exactly a fast casting time, and 20% for your two remaining shots (plus some pet damage) seems to me to add up to less than just throwing venomous would.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Amp is good any time your average venomous is less than 20% of the mobs hp. In my case, my average venomous is 8019.5 before resists (I don't have sage venomous yet). I have three grinding spots, in the outdoor spots the mobs have 48021 and 59047 hp, in both of those spots it's worth doing if venomous hit for 100%, since it hits for less than 100% it's even more worth doing (the same logic holds true for soul degeneration for me as well). For it to be worthwhile though, you need to get it in early in the fight.
    edited November 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Lol, I may be a bit coarse but I believe I reserve the name calling mindless insults for name callers / insulters. My guess is a Lunar Lupin would make a better grind pet. Unfortunately I never got one to find out. b:cry

I'm not too confident in wolves as grinding pets, considering the Lunar Lupin has only slightly more attack power than a Windwalking Piggy. And while howl does make a difference, it's not enough of a difference to make up for the pet's poor attack strength.

As for the Eldergoth Marksman...I don't quite know what skills to give it, to make it a more efficient grind pet. Right now, even my Shadou Cub can match its killing speed.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    As for the Eldergoth Marksman...I don't quite know what skills to give it, to make it a more efficient grind pet. Right now, even my Shadou Cub can match its killing speed.
    Unless you load it up with attack skills and/or Claw, the Marksman is pretty much a clone of the Cuddly Pup (rare) when it comes to grinding stats. And the Pup isn't exactly on people's highly recommended list for grind pets.

http://ecatomb.net/petstat.php
    @ level 90 Pup / Marksman
    HP: 2639 / 2856
    Atk: 2145@0.8 / 3162@0.5 (works out to 1716 / 1581 DPS)
    pdef: 6279 / 6271
    mdef: 6849 / 6841
    accu: 1759 / 1757
    dodge: 1075 / 1171
    speed: 9.5 / 7.8

Only reason to use it as a grind pet is to keep it leveled IMHO.
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Unless you load it up with attack skills and/or Claw, the Marksman is pretty much a clone of the Cuddly Pup (rare) when it comes to grinding stats. And the Pup isn't exactly on people's highly recommended list for grind pets.

http://ecatomb.net/petstat.php
    @ level 90 Pup / Marksman
    HP: 2639 / 2856
    Atk: 2145@0.8 / 3162@0.5 (works out to 1716 / 1581 DPS)
    pdef: 6279 / 6271
    mdef: 6849 / 6841
    accu: 1759 / 1757
    dodge: 1075 / 1171
    speed: 9.5 / 7.8

Only reason to use it as a grind pet is to keep it leveled IMHO.

So, what might you use as a grinding pet?

I've ben thinking about either a Kowlin or Antelope Pup...though I'm not sure if either of those is the best choice.

I do want to add claw to my marksman, but I never see it for sale anywhere.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Amp is good any time your average venomous is less than 20% of the mobs hp. In my case, my average venomous is 8019.5 before resists (I don't have sage venomous yet). I have three grinding spots, in the outdoor spots the mobs have 48021 and 59047 hp, in both of those spots it's worth doing if venomous hit for 100%, since it hits for less than 100% it's even more worth doing (the same logic holds true for soul degeneration for me as well). For it to be worthwhile though, you need to get it in early in the fight.
    lol where the hell are you leveling? try these: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/11164

even if they are wood, they die pretty damn fast, and have way less hp than almost every other 95+ mob. great money and exp, if you have a phoenix you should be able to drop a group of them faster than those dumb clerics who think their aoe'ing of them is fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Ya, I know about those. My problem with them is that I can't get any additional rep off of killing them and there's no mats around them that I care about. I'll give them a try, but I doubt they can compete with the spots I've already got. It takes me 13.5 minutes to get my 90 kills in for a justice quest against nivastok's, including travel time from the envoy, flying to the spot, and flying back (about 12 minutes is actual killing, I can have the 90 dead before the wait timer hits 47 minutes remaining), so that's a really high kill rate for spiders to try and compete with. I'll give them an actual shot and do a couple of 1 hour sessions tracking how much exp I get and maybe kill counts, but I'm not really expecting much since my attacks only hit them for 45%, and I've been moving towards using a lot of sage noxious since I got it (half because I want some variety, half because I want to play with a new toy).
  • Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear
    Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    b:chuckleb:chuckle
    tweakz, the veno who apparently knows everything about venos, has a perfect metal shard in his weapon O.o
    apparently he thinks venos do metal damage b:chuckleb:chuckle
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    tweakz, the veno who apparently knows everything about venos, has a perfect metal shard in his weapon O.o
    apparently he thinks venos do metal damage b:chuckleb:chuckle
    Despite tweakz abrasive posting style, he does offer a wealth of good information. When I looked at his equipment, I noticed the perfect alabaster shard. But his other equipment made me suspect the reason for it was something we discussed here several months ago (yes, there actually is a legitimate rationale for doing it). I'll let him explain it though.
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The flame isn't even on topic. Funny thing is, I got an email from PWI stating this character who harassed me with vulgarities for not buying their over priced pet skill was "taken care of". Funny thing is: Mystic stated they'd do nothing and I knew it -lol. So PWI or Mystic.. what happened? -lol. I'm curious.

Do you really think a wood damage shard would be better? b:chuckle

Lets ruin this thread like many others by using off topic personal attacks.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

Whoa. Where on (perfect) earth do you find stuff like that? I wouldn't have thought even the 105 stuff up near frost would be that ridiculous.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    lol i don't have any good pets..but i use kolwin lvl 71..i can kill mobs in fb/Bh/tt and that i need to kill..so its not prob for me:) but have to spam heal him hehe xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
    edited November 2009
    Options
    hehe, yea GM's totally banned me for asking if you wanted to buy a skill, sure sure, silly kids.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Whoa. Where on (perfect) earth do you find stuff like that? I wouldn't have thought even the 105 stuff up near frost would be that ridiculous.

Nivastock Shieldbearers level 92 and Ethercelot Gurards level 93 or so. They're actually fast kills, but the advice held true when I was doing cougaret's and rogueknights as well.
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    Options
    hehe, yea GM's totally banned me for asking if you wanted to buy a skill, sure sure, silly kids.

Be honest you were calling me the 3 letter f word just for turning you down. I notified you that any further contact would be construed as harassment and reported and you were confident they'd do nothing and carried on. You should see a psych about that. Now you're here trashing their forum with personal attacks. I guess you're right after all.
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Go cry some more tweakz, personal attacks? my God you've got some growing up to do, no longer posting here, wasting the life span of my keyboard.
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Go cry some more tweakz, personal attacks? my God you've got some growing up to do, no longer posting here, wasting the life span of my keyboard.

That's a disappointment. Why did I report you in game? - Because you have no idea who or what I am. I could just blacklist to stop you from wasting my time. Words can have a butterfly effect in real life on some people, and that's why I did. I actually find it amusing that you were right that they'd do nothing. If any one is crying here, I would think it is the one that's so bent out of shape that they resort to vulgarities and personal attacks. Please carry on. b:laugh
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    That's a disappointment. Why did I report you in game? - Because you have no idea who or what I am. I could just blacklist to stop you from wasting my time. Words can have a butterfly effect in real life on some people, and that's why I did. I actually find it amusing that you were right that they'd do nothing. If any one is crying here, I would think it is the one that's so bent out of shape that they resort to vulgarities and personal attacks. Please carry on. b:laugh

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark on this one...... I'm gonna say, you're tweakz the veno on HT? Let me know if I'm close.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Options
    So, to get back on topic...what pet (or pets) would be optimal for land based grinding/one man army/Justice quests?

I've been through the wolf family, and lyncan's, as well as many others. I just can't seem to find one that suits my particular grinding style.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    So, to get back on topic...what pet (or pets) would be optimal for land based grinding/one man army/Justice quests?

I've been through the wolf family, and lyncan's, as well as many others. I just can't seem to find one that suits my particular grinding style.

And what is that grinding style?
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

Get an Axe BM, and be sure to feed it lots to keep it's loyalty up. b:shutup
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Get an Axe BM, and be sure to feed it lots to keep it's loyalty up. b:shutup

I hear they require fine meat, and lots of it, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited November 2009
    Options
    And what is that grinding style?

I try to kill as quickly and efficiently as possible, often grabbing aggro from 2-3 mobs at once. So I'd like a pet with high survivability, and relatively high DPS.

Speed is also a factor, though, anything over 7.5 m/s is fine.

And before anyone says that legendary pets are the best option...I don't believe it, and have no intention of getting a legendary pet.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I try to kill as quickly and efficiently as possible, often grabbing aggro from 2-3 mobs at once. So I'd like a pet with high survivability, and relatively high DPS.

Speed is also a factor, though, anything over 7.5 m/s is fine.

And before anyone says that legendary pets are the best option...I don't believe it, and have no intention of getting a legendary pet.

Well, The CMag and VMags would fit that profile, as long as you want to grind on physical mobs (and do not mind a "slightly" slower moving pet)... well except for the speed issue. Put 3 attack skills and tough and you can do some very fast grinding on physical mobs. If you don't have a mag, you can wait a couple more levels and get the Cragrock Warrior (red golem by the ninetails.) It is faster, good defense and good attack, although is a tad on the big side. The key for fast grinding is the attack skills, they help to keep aggro, since you can use one skill on each mob, tough will keep it alive when if it gets jumped by additional mobs, and you will kill them fast.

If you want to grind on magic mobs, I would recommend grinding on mobs with poison, and using a antelup pup/carapest of terror/frog. Carapest and Pup have the highest mdef of any pet, and pup has one of the highest dps as well. Frog is a great mdef tank, with ok pdef and nice attack. All those 3 pets would need some serious skill fixing though, for grinding purposes.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.