Scammer Question For GMs

Comments

• Madijon - Lost City
    Madijon - Lost City Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Have you never gone to the store and were looking at lets say clothes. (for sake of comparision). Then you find a really great deal on a pair of jeans in your size section. Your rushed for time so you throw the jeans in your cart, make your purchase and go about your business. When you get home you realize you bought a size small instead of large. OOOPS, it was on sale, no return. Now your stuck with an item you didnt want or need. Oh well your mistake, tough cookies. Bite the dust, move on and swear to be more careful.

And I agree, I've missed priced items many times late at night, or set up shop with a variety of items. This last week i've been selling duke rose outfits along with other things. I put my title as duke rose, but when i get up with the baby and check shop if i've sold soemting i just refill withwhatever is in my inventory. I might not change the shop name till tomorrow when i get home from work.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Have you never gone to the store and were looking at lets say clothes. (for sake of comparision). Then you find a really great deal on a pair of jeans in your size section. Your rushed for time so you throw the jeans in your cart, make your purchase and go about your business. When you get home you realize you bought a size small instead of large. OOOPS, it was on sale, no return. Now your stuck with an item you didnt want or need. Oh well your mistake, tough cookies. Bite the dust, move on and swear to be more careful.

And I agree, I've missed priced items many times late at night, or set up shop with a variety of items. This last week i've been selling duke rose outfits along with other things. I put my title as duke rose, but when i get up with the baby and check shop if i've sold soemting i just refill withwhatever is in my inventory. I might not change the shop name till tomorrow when i get home from work.

In the case of your shop with the title as you said, I don't see how that would be scam. There is a clear difference in the icons of the duke rose set, compared to every other fashion set.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Madijon - Lost City
    Madijon - Lost City Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I just had another thought, Look at ebay, if you search for car, you might find 100 items that have car as the main heading, but once you open the auction you see that it is only the car door not the car. Or the picture might look like it has 3 parts, and you scroll down and read the fine print and see that your bidding on one item.

If you report any of these things to paypal, they will tell you should have read the item description better.

I recently purchased a membership to a website. I hit register which took me to a page that said I needed to purchases as sponsorship for $24.99. I did this thinking I would gain access to the website I was on. I did not. I gained access to a website that was one not the website i was on, and two not the sponsors website. It was a completely unrelated website. I filed a dispute with paypal... the one where the item description was different from what was recieved. Paypal said they were not responsible for such things,, I recieved access to a website, even though it wasnt the one I was told I would gain access too. I tried to fight it, took screen shots of every page and every step throught the registration process. I ended up with a one year membership to a website i couldnt care less about. I dont feel scammed really... mislead, aggrivated and aware. Ill be damned sure to be more careful next time.
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    In game Player Moderators is a really bad idea. For starters, you have to give them some kind of icon by their name to differentiate them from non player mods, otherwise anyone can go around impersonating them with the purpose of scamming people who don't know any better (asking for account information, offers to "make you a mod" in exchange for money, extorting money or items from people by threatening to ban them, etc.) If you have player moderators in the game, people have to be able to tell who they are.

This brings up the real problem with player moderators. When a game starts to pick mods from its player base, the players who don't get picked, start to see it as a "status symbol" (especially with the icon by their name) and will work very hard to gain it, like any other piece of fashion. If the GMs think they a lot to do now, their jobs would be endless if they had to sift through hundreds of thousands of tattle-tale tickets from wanna-be moderators every single day. If you think I'm exaggerating, think about the number of people who look at one cat shop in West Arch in say, a 12 hour period. Even if just 1/10 of those people ticketed it for scamming, it would still result in hours of extra work for the GMs every day ... all because people can't watch what they are buying.

I do support making things look different though. Things looking the same just makes scamming easier. We wouldn't even need to think about having in game player moderators if things didn't look the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • Darkjagans - Heavens Tear
    Darkjagans - Heavens Tear Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    In game Player Moderators is a really bad idea. For starters, you have to give them some kind of icon by their name to differentiate them from non player mods
    I assume this shouldn't be hard to do, they have GM icons, they can surely make MOD icons.
    This brings up the real problem with player moderators. When a game starts to pick mods from its player base, the players who don't get picked, start to see it as a "status symbol" (especially with the icon by their name) and will work very hard to gain it, like any other piece of fashion.
    I'm sure you would have known by now that some of the GMs actually play the game too, but no one actually knows their real characters that they play on.

So it could be as simple as giving the "chosen" ones a new account that is created/owned by the GM/PW staff, and the rule on being on that account is as simple as don't add any friends, don't join any factions, don't tell anyone your real character names etc, following strict guidelines/rules that the GMs have on their GM accounts.
  • Ryiah - Heavens Tear
    Ryiah - Heavens Tear Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure you would have known by now that some of the GMs actually play the game too, but no one actually knows their real characters that they play on.
    At least eatwithspoons has mentioned playing the game as a regular player. Of course I'm assuming he doesn't use a similar naming scheme that he used for his GM name (something that combines an action with an object - "eat" with "spoons").

Considering I only just "recently" started noticing him on the forums, I'd almost suspect he was originally a player who got offered a job as a GM.
  • HouJenhsi - Heavens Tear
    HouJenhsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    she's still there, i think gm can track their ip address or see the logs for more info
  • Vellamo - Heavens Tear
    Vellamo - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Unfortunately, tonight I happened upon a player that had fallen for the scam. She was dropping the gems in frustration. When asked why she responded that she purchased what she thought were blemished and found out too late what they were. So I have chosen to set up a catshop next to the scammer to inform others of his true designs. By morning I suppose he will have moved but for now I hope others will be spared.

148p3j7.jpg

I dont know why anyone buys gems from these shops anyway. They need to learn how to manufacture gems for themselves

To make Blemished:
    Purchase 9 of each lvl 1 gem from the merchant
    Bring them to the Jewelcraftsman (In west arch he is just North of the wine guy)
    Choose the combine option
    Select the second tab
    click each gem in the first row and combine the max number of times (this makes lvl 2 gems)
    click each gem in the second row and combine again (this will make lvl 3 gems)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I dont know why anyone buys gems from these shops anyway. They need to learn how to manufacture gems for themselves

To make Blemished:
    Purchase 9 of each lvl 1 gem from the merchant
    Bring them to the Jewelcraftsman (In west arch he is just North of the wine guy)
    Choose the combine option
    Select the second tab
    click each gem in the first row and combine the max number of times (this makes lvl 2 gems)
    click each gem in the second row and combine again (this will make lvl 3 gems)

I buy from them because I'll usually have 5-6 spots open in my inventory, and you need 7 to be able to make the shards.

Also I'm lazy b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • telos28
    telos28 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The whole catshop scam thing is getting out of hand, and yes, in Sanctuary, I've seen catshops advertising one thing, and when I check, it's a different thing. Another thing is the price gouging that seems to be rather popular nowadays. Sometimes, when I set up catshop, I will sometimes sell an item or two above its original price, but I do that based on how rare/wanted the item(s) is/are. Other than that, I sell items at as-is prices. Anyways, the price gouging seems to happen to a lot of items that are relativaley cheap at other, honest shops. But yeah, some items go for ridiculous prices, and later, you end up finding them for about 10 coins a pop.

There are MANY scams, both IRL, and In-game, with bait-and-switch being the common concerning the latter. Sure, the addage, "Caviet Emptor," applies here, but it is not entirely up to the buyer to be sure of what they are getting. That's like blaming a **** victim for being **** and adding that she was asking for it. Not to be mean, just trying to make a point concerning the whole, "It's the buyers fault," issue.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    telos28 wrote: »
    That's like blaming a **** victim for being **** and adding that she was asking for it. Not to be mean, just trying to make a point concerning the whole, "It's the buyers fault," issue.

That statement is not only inappropriate it is also highly offensive offensive. You cannot compare being **** with being scammed.

The other part of your post was going well, until you dropped that statement......
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Gaerick - Sanctuary
    Gaerick - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I tend to go overboard at times, since I get frustrated with this kind of thing a lot, and not just in-game, but offline as well.

And yeah, you're right about that statement I made, but I only said that because, in all honesty, I'm getting tired of other players constantly saying, "It's the buyers fault," and whatnot. Yes, there is some responsibility to the buyer, but really, if it really is the buyer's responsibility, then we either wouldn't have scam reports, or we'd have too many complaints about scamming.

As I said, I'm heavily frustrated by scamming, and on TWO occasions offline, I was ALMOST a victim of a bait-and-switch scam at two of my now-on-my-*****-list stores.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It is better to use the ticketing system instead of in game mods as someone might accuse someone of being guilty.

I buy mine at merchant anyway and if I need to upgrade them I combine them as I earn sp and xp.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Gaerick - Sanctuary
    Gaerick - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yep. Stay with a tried-and-trued method.
  • Saveless - Harshlands
    Saveless - Harshlands Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Imo, it shouldn't be banned or anything. It just basically shows how dumb people are at buying stuff and are too greedy to not check to see what the item is. Since clearly, there are a lot a lot a lot a lot of items that have same images. (Only bothered ready the thread starters post, no one elses...so sorry if this was already mentioned lol)
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well in my opinion its mainly the buyers fault i mean pay attention if your not smart enough for that just npc and avoid all possible scams and get it cheaper anyways i would be able to see scams but i simply npc cause its cheaper
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Daishar - Dreamweaver
    Daishar - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well in my opinion its mainly the buyers fault i mean pay attention if your not smart enough for that just npc and avoid all possible scams and get it cheaper anyways i would be able to see scams but i simply npc cause its cheaper

So getting scammed is mainly the victims fault, not the one who plans and executes the scam? The thing that makes me feel sick is that ppl are actually defending scammers. Sure, when cat shop scam happens, it`s buyers fault not to look what he bought, but that doesn`t make scamming justified. And if here comes somebody telling how this is lesson you want to learn in game, not in real life, still, why scammers should get that money? By having high morale and teaching ppl to watch out? Usually the ones who get scammed are the ones most naive, children. This kind of action isn`t different from taking a candy from child and saying "not everybody is nice, you need to learn it". If somebody comes here arguing how coins are worthless and that`s why my example sucks, them both are, or actually both have small worth(1g=1 dollar). If there comes argument of not getting money from gold/and/or quitting, will you get your candy back after eating? I mean, in eatable form?

Ps. I haven`t been scammed, so you don`t need to throw any arguments about it. But I see scamming as a version of stealing and it should not be tolerated in any ways.
  • Ruax - Heavens Tear
    Ruax - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The blame lays imo 50/50 between scammers and buyers.

Without scammers players wouldnt get caught out
    Without players stupidity then scammers couldnt operate.

and yes before people scream and flame it is players stupidity that gets them scammed, since we are talking about very very basic attempts to scam, nothing that a bit of observation when buying couldnt solve.

But like the old saying goes: " A fool and his money are easily parted ".

No I dont condone scamming in anyway ,shape or form but it is easily avoidable
  • redhotcharacter2
    redhotcharacter2 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Ive seen that scammer. He is selling near the daily quest area of Arch. From your picture it looks like he has sold maybe 10 gems of each and the blemished too.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The blame lays imo 50/50 between scammers and buyers.

Without scammers players wouldnt get caught out
    Without players stupidity then scammers couldnt operate.

and yes before people scream and flame it is players stupidity that gets them scammed, since we are talking about very very basic attempts to scam, nothing that a bit of observation when buying couldnt solve.

But like the old saying goes: " A fool and his money are easily parted ".

No I dont condone scamming in anyway ,shape or form but it is easily avoidable

I was scammed like that once...I just took it as a lesson to pay closer attention XD
    Ive seen that scammer. He is selling near the daily quest area of Arch. From your picture it looks like he has sold maybe 10 gems of each and the blemished too.

I saw one person that had every gem priced normally except for one that was way marked up for people that don't pay attention. I laughed when I noticed they had about 10 left of the other four, and 80+ left of the overpriced one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I saw one person that had every gem priced normally except for one that was way marked up for people that don't pay attention. I laughed when I noticed they had about 10 left of the other four, and 80+ left of the overpriced one.

I normally mark one thing way up so nobody will buy it and make my shop disappear. That way I don't end up standing in the middle of the road all night like an idiot. Just personal preference. I try to make sure it's nothing that I'm selling, and that it's marked for a ridiculous price (like 9 million). I agree a gem store marking one gem significantly but reasonably higher is sneaky and underhanded.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    So getting scammed is mainly the victims fault, not the one who plans and executes the scam? The thing that makes me feel sick is that ppl are actually defending scammers. Sure, when cat shop scam happens, it`s buyers fault not to look what he bought, but that doesn`t make scamming justified.

I posted on this way back on page 3. The distinction you are looking for is between the individuals making the transaction, and the social value of having scam-free cat shops. The "blame the victim" mentality focuses only on the individuals involved in this transaction, while completely ignoring the degrading effect it has on society (i.e. how nice it is to play in PWI). To repeat:

Say I were to dig potholes into the road. Most people see them and maneuver around them. But some for whatever reason don't and wreck their wheels or occasionally their entire car. Yes the victim is to blame for failing to make a simple maneuver to avoid the obvious pot holes.

But whether people can see and avoid the potholes is not the point. The point is that in order to promote the smooth and speedy flow of traffic so people can get where they are going as quickly as possible, there should be no potholes in the road at all. Society as a whole is better off if there are no potholes in the road. So someone who goes around digging potholes needs to be stopped.
  • JasmineSoul - Sanctuary
    JasmineSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I've also noticed on a daily basis in the catshops that sell roughs, they like to "accidentally" have a typo on the price on the middle or fourth stone over, adding an extra zero or two.

I get so peeved over this sort of thing, but there's alot of dishonest people out there. There's been a drastic decline in morality over the last decade or so. It sucks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lucifeara - Lost City
    Lucifeara - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I've also noticed on a daily basis in the catshops that sell roughs, they like to "accidentally" have a typo on the price on the middle or fourth stone over, adding an extra zero or two.

I get so peeved over this sort of thing, but there's alot of dishonest people out there. There's been a drastic decline in morality over the last decade or so. It sucks.

The even better one to watch for is the cat shop that says "G6Citrine120k", and when you look he has 60 average citrines for sale at 120k each. Unlike the previous example who may have had a stock that has sold, this one is a total deliberate scam, as the incorrect shards have been priced with the correct value for the higher level shard.

Lesson- always check every item and cost before buying, then check it again.
  • Tryndal - Heavens Tear
    Tryndal - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I personally really dislike scammers. I was scammed on a whole different situation but all in the same. If you see a scammer dont be affraid to put it out on World Chat these FCKS need to be stopped. Make sure you tell your Guildies and if at all possible try to get in contact with their guild leader if they are in a guild!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Arrows fletched with the feathers of angels seldom miss their mark.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    I personally really dislike scammers. I was scammed on a whole different situation but all in the same. If you see a scammer dont be affraid to put it out on World Chat these FCKS need to be stopped. Make sure you tell your Guildies and if at all possible try to get in contact with their guild leader if they are in a guild!

Then have the guild leader laugh and call you a noob for falling for the scam.
    Main characters
  • Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I normally mark one thing way up so nobody will buy it and make my shop disappear. That way I don't end up standing in the middle of the road all night like an idiot. Just personal preference. I try to make sure it's nothing that I'm selling, and that it's marked for a ridiculous price (like 9 million).
    I always wondered about shops with nothing but 1 crazy overpriced item. Personally, I love coming back and finding that I'm just standing there--it means I sold everything I was selling, and bought everything I was buying! Much nicer than the alternative. :D
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Then have the guild leader laugh and call you a noob for falling for the scam.

Very possible, however, even if you have one or two guildleaders that will talk with their members, and they stop, it would be worth it.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Vellamo - Heavens Tear
    Vellamo - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Im sorry to say that the scammer remains after a fruitful weekend for him. He has probably been able to grift a cool million or 2 since his last account wipe. This is why he does it. Even when caught his successes outweigh his losses, and no doubt PWe doesn't want to take too drastic of steps until the scammer has been given ample opportunities to mend his ways. Unfortunately, this one seems determined to continue. I wonder if there is any way to stop such a determined scammer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    One way I just thought of to prevent scams (the shard kind at least) is to put a price limit on them based on their grade.

Example:

A beautiful shard normally sells in a cat shop for 150k. An average shard which is the next grade lower, sells from the npc for 60k That average shard can be limited to selling at 60k no matter what because you can buy it from the NPC anyway, so paying more is truly a rip-off.

Simply lock in the maximum amount a shard can be sold for as the price it would cost from the NPC to make it.

Something like this can only apply to items you buy from NPCs of course.
    Main characters
This discussion has been closed.