Scammer Question For GMs

1235»

Comments

• IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    One way I just thought of to prevent scams (the shard kind at least) is to put a price limit on them based on their grade.

Example:

A beautiful shard normally sells in a cat shop for 150k. An average shard which is the next grade lower, sells from the npc for 60k That average shard can be limited to selling at 60k no matter what because you can buy it from the NPC anyway, so paying more is truly a rip-off.

Simply lock in the maximum amount a shard can be sold for as the price it would cost from the NPC to make it.

Something like this can only apply to items you buy from NPCs of course.

Wouln't just be easier to remove all catshop and player to player trade and force people to use Auction House? This way it would impossible to scam anyone using the look-alike icons or missleading shop names.

But, what about opportunity cost? If max price is only NPC cost, why would anyone make them to sell? And what about the people that are willing to buy them for more so they do not have to do it themselves?

Also, how about setting a minimun price on the items as well, so it is the same as the NPC, that way people would not loose money by accidentaly underselling items.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    just get smarter, if they scam u they have been smarter than u while GMs are still thinking what they should do
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    To remove scammers, things must be sacrificed. If you don't want to lose things, stop scamming. (talking to scammers, not normal players. If you don't scam the 2nd sentence doesn't apply to you)
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
    edited August 2009
    To remove scammers, things must be sacrificed. If you don't want to lose things, stop scamming. (talking to scammers, not normal players. If you don't scam the 2nd sentence doesn't apply to you)

Well, removing catshop and player to player trade would be the way. After all, they already have Auction House.... If you did not spend the time to look at all the items and bough a overpriced one, you really can not blame anyone else for that... (I guess they could... but still, you get the point)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Well, removing catshop and player to player trade would be the way. After all, they already have Auction House.... If you did not spend the time to look at all the items and bough a overpriced one, you really can not blame anyone else for that... (I guess they could... but still, you get the point)

We should not have to double check the items in the first place. That is the point. PWE isn't doing good enough if scammers still exist in the game.
    Main characters
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Scammers will always exist in every MMO. It's like...a necessity. Just like jerks, KS'ers, and forum trolls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The thing is, scamming will exist in one way or another regardless of the measures taken to prevent it. The criticism "PWE isn't doing enough" stems from the belief that we should be responsible for monitoring every single trade and item sale in the game. This is not a realistic expectation, it is also why we ask people to report things that look like scams. If we were required to approve every transaction in the game, the economy would go into a standstill because the sheer volume would devastate our customer support team. Imagine thousands upon thousands of transactions sitting in limbo waiting to be approved, while hundreds more roll in every minute.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Not saying you have to moniter everything, but when I've seen a post on the fourms showing a scammer, another GM said they won't do anything about it.
    Main characters
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The thing is, scamming will exist in one way or another regardless of the measures taken to prevent it. The criticism "PWE isn't doing enough" stems from the belief that we should be responsible for monitoring every single trade and item sale in the game. This is not a realistic expectation, it is also why we ask people to report things that look like scams. If we were required to approve every transaction in the game, the economy would go into a standstill because the sheer volume would devastate our customer support team. Imagine thousands upon thousands of transactions sitting in limbo waiting to be approved, while hundreds more roll in every minute.

b:shockedb:shockedb:shockedb:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
    edited August 2009
    We should not have to double check the items in the first place. That is the point. PWE isn't doing good enough if scammers still exist in the game.

Well, maybe because it is hard to prove.... Your method of just banning everyone that even looks like is scamming, would not be good, since it would ban lots of innocent people as well.
    Also, it is very easy to fake screenshots, so GMs need to make sure the player did indeed do something wrong, and not just a false accusation to get back at them.

Unfortunatly, to check all the information takes times, since they need to log dive to find all the pieces.

If you want to remove scamming from game, you need to remove all direct player to player tradings, and use Auction House only. Items are listed, and a price is set in front of them. That is it.

Other games go a step further, and the "auction house" buys the items from players at a fix price, and resells them to other players also a fix price. So it is like selling to the npc, but it allows other players in-game to buy the items with stats you got at a npc price.

However doing that removes the all player based economy part of the game, since everything would have a fix price.
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    Not saying you have to moniter everything, but when I've seen a post on the fourms showing a scammer, another GM said they won't do anything about it.

The reason why we won't ever give a solid answer about this on the forums, is because each of these "scam" cases come with their own variables. There is absolutely no way to look at a screenshot on the forums and say "this is 100% scam" or "this is not in any way a scam"

Besides, reports and accusations are not supposed to be made on the forum. We would be rewarding people for breaking rules if we took direct action because of a post
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Well, maybe because it is hard to prove.... Your method of just banning everyone that even looks like is scamming, would not be good, since it would ban lots of innocent people as well.
    Also, it is very easy to fake screenshots, so GMs need to make sure the player did indeed do something wrong, and not just a false accusation to get back at them.

Unfortunatly, to check all the information takes times, since they need to log dive to find all the pieces.

If you want to remove scamming from game, you need to remove all direct player to player tradings, and use Auction House only. Items are listed, and a price is set in front of them. That is it.

Other games go a step further, and the "auction house" buys the items from players at a fix price, and resells them to other players also a fix price. So it is like selling to the npc, but it allows other players in-game to buy the items with stats you got at a npc price.

However doing that removes the all player based economy part of the game, since everything would have a fix price.

If it removes scamming, I'm all for it.

@spoons

True, although action was taken against a forum screenshot once, only because the poster of the screenshot showed they were doing something very illegal and there could be no doubt about it..:p
    Main characters
  • Vellamo - Heavens Tear
    Vellamo - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Spoons why dont you go ahead and close this thread. It's really not productive for us to continue debating, and this one scammer has had plenty of attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    might as well I guess? I don't see anyone reaching an agreement any time soon.

Report stuff when you see it, not on the forums, but through a ticket. If you don't see an action taken, don't freak out, because you won't know the details of the incident. I know plenty of people say "just ban them" but if you were in the situation, I know you would understand the need for us to issue a warning for a first offense in certain cases. Besides we don't discuss disciplinary action with anyone but the account owner.
This discussion has been closed.