Veno on a rant.

Options
Onyxsoulle - Harshlands
Onyxsoulle - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
This is a general rant about alot of things concerning veno's.

Okay, now all I hear lately is "veno's are overpowered" this and "veno's are overpowered" that. I've played since the week that the Dreamweaver server server has been up. I have played a veno since almost day one, and as far as veno's being overpowered; well, we are. But keep in mind, we have to be.
Veno's are usually only brought in for fb's, tt's, and the like; that's usually it. Zhen parties usually consist of the other classes, but leave veno's out of the loop. I know there are some of you that do choose veno's for zhen's and rebirth orders; but seriously, had you not been friends with them at first, or had they not proven to be good at their job, would you have asked them to join? We have to be overpowered, or we don't level;it's that plain and simple. If we don't level, then you don't get to have a veno pull for you at higher levels. Yes, fighting a veno in pvp is like fighting more than one opponent, but this is also incorrect. We're just one person, if you target us and stay on us, we'll die fairly quickly(unless it's one of the rare heavy veno's). And in pvp we aren't as overpowered as people think. A barb has the fastest run speed and hit points falling out of his...tail. A cleric is nigh immortal. A wizard is sheer cosmic power. And bm's are just plain evil at melee. A veno, while being almost like all of these tied into one, is a poor version of these classes.
We are a little faster than casters, but can't compete with barbs or bm's or archers. We can heal our pets and ourselves, but nowhere near as much or as good as a cleric. We have devastating scarabs to attack with, but do probably do about 1/4 to 1/2 as much damage as a wizard. And we have nowhere near the dps as an archer.

Now, as far as herc's and nix's; yes, I have one of each. And yes, each of them are powerful allies to a veno(I keep referring to my nix as my pet chainsaw). However, having a legendary pet does not in any way mean that a crappy veno is suddenly a good veno. The pet does not make the veno, the player makes the veno. I will agree that the legendary pets do help cover up a bad veno's foibles(2 dollar word!) but in the end, the veno will show their true colors. I do not think that every veno should drop the money and get them both right now, that's not what i'm saying. The pets help, that's all; a good veno without a legendary is devastating, a good veno with a legendary pet is closer to being the physical embodiment of Ragnarok.

Now for you veno's. Shape the hell up!!! I recently made a barbarian and was surrounded by veno's, and discovered something. As a barb, I hated veno's.
A veno can solo, this is true; but it's not the veno's only job. There are two aspects to a veno; the solo aspect, and the group aspect. When soloing, your pet is your armor; not your weapon. If the pet stays alive, you stay alive. Don't whine when you died because you were tossing scarabs at a mob, and not healing your pet and your pet died and the mob killed you too. Even if you have to stand at a mob for 45 minutes, keep you pet alive. Just pretend your the cleric, and the pet is a barb(or bm). The group aspect is where alot of veno's fail at their job. When in a group, veno's; your pet is not the tank anymore. It's a worm....that can also help with dps, but a worm nonetheless. A veno's job in a group is to a) bramble the tank, b) send chi to the tank as much as possible, and c) to pull. Some veno's might not know how to pull, so i'll help you out here. 1) Open your pet window, 2) drag your pets icon to a hotbar, 3) send your pet in(without reflect on, if it's a herc, or has the reflect skill) to attack 1 mob, 3) before it dies click the pet on the hotbar to stow it. That's it, that one mob will come towards you, it's now the tank's job to "catch" the mob before you turn into a stain on the wall.

You may now commence the corrections. :P
Post edited by Onyxsoulle - Harshlands on

Comments

• Eriestrength - Sanctuary
    Eriestrength - Sanctuary Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

Okay, now all I hear lately is "veno's are overpowered" this and "veno's are overpowered" that. I've played since the week that the Dreamweaver server server has been up. I have played a veno since almost day one, and as far as veno's being overpowered; well, we are. But keep in mind, we have to be.
    Veno's are usually only brought in for fb's, tt's, and the like; that's usually it. Zhen parties usually consist of the other classes, but leave veno's out of the loop. I know there are some of you that do choose veno's for zhen's and rebirth orders; but seriously, had you not been friends with them at first, or had they not proven to be good at their job, would you have asked them to join? We have to be overpowered, or we don't level;it's that plain and simple. If we don't level, then you don't get to have a veno pull for you at higher levels. Yes, fighting a veno in pvp is like fighting more than one opponent, but this is also incorrect. We're just one person, if you target us and stay on us, we'll die fairly quickly(unless it's one of the rare heavy veno's). And in pvp we aren't as overpowered as people think. A barb has the fastest run speed and hit points falling out of his...tail. A cleric is nigh immortal. A wizard is sheer cosmic power. And bm's are just plain evil at melee. A veno, while being almost like all of these tied into one, is a poor version of these classes.
    We are a little faster than casters, but can't compete with barbs or bm's or archers. We can heal our pets and ourselves, but nowhere near as much or as good as a cleric. We have devastating scarabs to attack with, but do probably do about 1/4 to 1/2 as much damage as a wizard. And we have nowhere near the dps as an archer.

Now, as far as herc's and nix's; yes, I have one of each. And yes, each of them are powerful allies to a veno(I keep referring to my nix as my pet chainsaw). However, having a legendary pet does not in any way mean that a crappy veno is suddenly a good veno. The pet does not make the veno, the player makes the veno. I will agree that the legendary pets do help cover up a bad veno's foibles(2 dollar word!) but in the end, the veno will show their true colors. I do not think that every veno should drop the money and get them both right now, that's not what i'm saying. The pets help, that's all; a good veno without a legendary is devastating, a good veno with a legendary pet is closer to being the physical embodiment of Ragnarok.

Now for you veno's. Shape the hell up!!! I recently made a barbarian and was surrounded by veno's, and discovered something. As a barb, I hated veno's.
    A veno can solo, this is true; but it's not the veno's only job. There are two aspects to a veno; the solo aspect, and the group aspect. When soloing, your pet is your armor; not your weapon. If the pet stays alive, you stay alive. Don't whine when you died because you were tossing scarabs at a mob, and not healing your pet and your pet died and the mob killed you too. Even if you have to stand at a mob for 45 minutes, keep you pet alive. Just pretend your the cleric, and the pet is a barb(or bm). The group aspect is where alot of veno's fail at their job. When in a group, veno's; your pet is not the tank anymore. It's a worm....that can also help with dps, but a worm nonetheless. A veno's job in a group is to a) bramble the tank, b) send chi to the tank as much as possible, and c) to pull. Some veno's might not know how to pull, so i'll help you out here. 1) Open your pet window, 2) drag your pets icon to a hotbar, 3) send your pet in(without reflect on, if it's a herc, or has the reflect skill) to attack 1 mob, 3) before it dies click the pet on the hotbar to stow it. That's it, that one mob will come towards you, it's now the tank's job to "catch" the mob before you turn into a stain on the wall.

A. too much to read.

B. theres nothing wrong with venos period, bleed is an ampd up skill nix has high attack damage throw in +200% damage from bleed and there you go one strong **** attack, nothing OP or glitched there.
  • Kazzlise - Heavens Tear
    Kazzlise - Heavens Tear Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    A. too much to read.

B. theres nothing wrong with venos period, bleed is an ampd up skill nix has high attack damage throw in +200% damage from bleed and there you go one strong **** attack, nothing OP or glitched there.

^^;
    You need to read the post if you decide to reply hun. ROFL.

On another note, I love this thread. Thank you for sharing it.
    A fair amount of points I agree with wholeheartedly.

A) Veno's are suish and need their personal tanks.
    B) Veno's need to not cause party wipe thinking they are tank in group setting.

b:thanks
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    looks fine, goodnight
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • HuntresPrime - Lost City
    HuntresPrime - Lost City Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i actually consider my self over powered at times. i go and kill poison tailed scorpions with 1 hit.. i mean WOW xD

no but really in all seriousness. i think i am OP.
    i have a wheel of fate +3 with 2 beautiful sapphire shards.. and i tend to pull agro from my pet... also the fact that i can take out lv 75~80 mobs? may not be efficient for grinding... but i can still do it. i even got my own ele essances when i was only lv 48 FTW! hercs and nix.. i dont have ether but watching other people have them i can say this. herc is good because you can actualy do decent grinding with it as it is a VERY good tank instead just the basic 1~2 mobs at a time.. Nix. its just your pk defense tool. just cause we cant get pushed around any more and that we can actually Push back. people complain.
    herc isnt really needed but good to have.. same with nix... im glad of the op we have. gives us a pk charcter other then barb... besides is it really THAT hard to pass the pet and attack veno directly?
  • Darkangelbri - Lost City
    Darkangelbri - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The group aspect is where alot of veno's fail at their job. When in a group, veno's; your pet is not the tank anymore. It's a worm....that can also help with dps, but a worm nonetheless. A veno's job in a group is to a) bramble the tank, b) send chi to the tank as much as possible, and c) to pull.

You forgot d) debuff and e) amp damage where bosses are involved.
  • Eriestrength - Sanctuary
    Eriestrength - Sanctuary Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    ^^;
    You need to read the post if you decide to reply hun. ROFL.

On another note, I love this thread. Thank you for sharing it.
    A fair amount of points I agree with wholeheartedly.

A) Veno's are suish and need their personal tanks.
    B) Veno's need to not cause party wipe thinking they are tank in group setting.

b:thanks

bah too tired to read all that, dont really care if i just made a fool of myself its all in fun and games anyway.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

venos are not op. just because they have a pet doesnt make them stronger. the pet makes them ALMOST equal to the other classes. like you said, veno does a lot less damage than EVERY other class except barb -- thats including the pet damage, regardless what the pet is (nix or not). barb's low damage is made up for in its high survivability. veno's isnt made up for anywhere.

somebody make a list, best to worst, arranged by class.. on different variables... like damage, survivability, defense, pvp all that. veno generally sits at second to last on all those comparative lists. 2nd to last is NOT OP. 2nd to last is kinda gimp.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    preach on brother, so many idiots dont even realize how much a pain in the **** it is to play a venomancer at times, its not only difficult, but tiring. Its not just throwing heals at a fat yellow dude. but one thing for sure, be brave and post under your real name, it takes guts to preach out against society's stupidity, but takes real balls to do it under your real name.
  • OnyxSoulle - Dreamweaver
    OnyxSoulle - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    preach on brother, so many idiots dont even realize how much a pain in the **** it is to play a venomancer at times, its not only difficult, but tiring. Its not just throwing heals at a fat yellow dude. but one thing for sure, be brave and post under your real name, it takes guts to preach out against society's stupidity, but takes real balls to do it under your real name.

Still working out the quirks to my Avatar, but here's my sig
    RavynSoulle-Venomancer-Dreamweaver
  • IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear
    IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    the veno itself is half, and the pet half so we aren't really stronger than others, we got low vit because pet takes dmg, lots of mag because we're magic (for mag venos not heavy) For rebirth order venos can't do much, we have like 2 aoe attacks and to be honest nova is the only good one. Since pet doesnt aoe, in the second a veno uses aoe mobs come to her. I've only finished a rebirth order, everyone in squad was lvl 55 and Good (it depends on how u add ur pts) . So even if a veno has a tank (like barbs are), a stunning skill (like bms which have a lot), healing skill for pet (like clerics heal themselves), strong magic attacks (like wizards, but channeling faster than them, while they channel slower but stronger) and a dmg reduction skill u get at lvl 59 (bramble hood, like archers have their shield) So: we got a little of all classes into the Veno class, but it doesn't make us better, clerics pwn us fast because wood = weak against metal, bms can stun us and then do the rest because we dont have much phys defense, barbs can just hit us because they got high hp, wizards have strong attacks and magic shield to get us easy, and archers are very strong and have high dex (+ they crit too much!) so ya venos arent really better b:thanks
    My sig is gone cus lol b:bye
    edited May 2009
    Options
    because wood = weak against metal,
    thats not true O_o; we're not innate wood element. they have a physical damaging magic, thats what kills us.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    most of their attacks are metal, except plume shot which does phys dmg
    edited May 2009
    Options
    yes, but venomancers are not 'weak' to it, because players dont carry an element.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    o well my bad, I should've said clerics hav resistance b:surrender but a lot
    edited May 2009
    Options
    well that part is true lol, they have def and mag def buffs for lowering our dmg >_>
    edited May 2009
    Options
    but I so love when they heal us b:pleased
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    you could always 'give' yourself a resistance by buying some biased armour in the AH, not really recommended.

Also I saw someone mention that flesh ream isn't bugged(he can has noob shoes).
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    When soloing, your pet is your armor; not your weapon.

Are you really a veno with a phoenix?
    For the benefit of the non venos reading this, while solo grinding the phoenix is 100% my weapon. It does so much damage my job is relegated to heals and picking up loot. Even if I had time to cast the odd damage spell (which mostly I dont) there is little point as its damage just dwarfs anything I can do.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Are you really a veno with a phoenix?
    For the benefit of the non venos reading this, while solo grinding the phoenix is 100% my weapon. It does so much damage my job is relegated to heals and picking up loot. Even if I had time to cast the odd damage spell (which mostly I dont) there is little point as its damage just dwarfs anything I can do.

Okay, as far as the phoenix is concerned; yes, it is a a weapon. It's dps is nice, especially when Pounce hits. What I meant by the "pet is your armor" comment, was that starting veno's need to view the pet as their armor. They need to let the pet take the hits, not themselves.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

OA veno's job in a group is to a) bramble the tank, b) send chi to the tank as much as possible, and c) to pull. Some veno's might not know how to pull, so i'll help you out here. 1) Open your pet window, 2) drag your pets icon to a hotbar, 3) send your pet in(without reflect on, if it's a herc, or has the reflect skill) to attack 1 mob, 3) before it dies click the pet on the hotbar to stow it. That's it, that one mob will come towards you, it's now the tank's job to "catch" the mob before you turn into a stain on the wall.

I agree with all your post, I always had to grind alone ("can I join your zen party?- No, you are a veno, gtfo! - qq "). I even agree with the part I quoted, but that's more for venos that don't have hercules. I don't know if you've had these kind of squads, but since in my guild we have so little barbarians, venos are the ones that do 95% of HH. Sometimes we even go without cleric: just archers, venos and blademasters. What's is amazing of these parties for HH is that every veno is like a barbarian with its cleric. In those parties we have to tank all the mobs and save the partners that get agro, just like any good barbarian. In my guild pretty much barbarians only do the bosses we cannot tank with hercules. So in that case we are the most important part of the party, cause if we die is pretty much a guaranteed party wipe...
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Nice, sounds like a good server/guild. Now, if we can just change the rest........................

:D
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Veno's aren't wanted for Zhen(even with a herc) because the puller needs a useful buff, defence to handle being chased and a reliable aoe to help out the DD.

Bramble whatever is no help, Aura of the golden bell and the barb hp buff far outclass it.

Most zhen parties only contain 3 people to maximize exp.

• Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    My corrections would be A) This applies only to MAGE/Arcane/Human Form Venos. As a Fox Veno I can tell you my job in a group has a wider scope and my pet is half my Def/Damage but is not the entirety of either by any stretch. I can solo (petless) 3 to 4 mobs of my level without fear. So yeah this stuff applies only to Mages. B) You do NOT have to let the Tank always intercept a mob after pulling. I always resummon my pet and send it out to greet them at the approprait moment. Now if it was a monster that your pet obviously cannot handle then OK but unless that is a boss you are pulling I am wondering what weak Pet you got that it could not tank one solitary monster by itself.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Also, being a non-herc veno is really going to suck in terms of parties since genies can pull much more efficently.

• Pasha - Dreamweaver
    Pasha - Dreamweaver Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    these topics are so funny. a good overall build makes up for well, almost anything. any veno that depends on a legendary pet is a **** player. anyone who squads with me will do so again. i dont consider myself a tank, ie, have a herc, thats the barbs job. i support the tank. i feel thats the venos job, and i do it very well. i also have alot of vit, and with tree of protection on my genie, i beat the **** outta ppl in pvp. legendary pets dont make good venos, good venos make good venos.
  • Pasha - Dreamweaver
    Pasha - Dreamweaver Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    these topics are so funny. a good overall build makes up for well, almost anything. any veno that depends on a legendary pet is a **** player. anyone who squads with me will do so again. i dont consider myself a tank, ie, have a herc, thats the barbs job. i support the tank. i feel thats the venos job, and i do it very well. i also have alot of vit, and with tree of protection on my genie, i beat the **** outta ppl in pvp. legendary pets dont make good venos, good venos make good venos.

they call me hell, they call me stacey, they call me her, they call me jane...
    thats not my name, thats not my name, thats not my...
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Uh-huh... another veno rant thread. Just curious are you aiming for Guinness book of records as the most complained over class? And no nobody complains over how your class operates but yourselves because we simply don't care anymore! Go play have fun and stop this stupid weeping already.

moving on to next.
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

a veno's pet is more effective DD in TT than archer/wizard, with archers' advantage only being sharpened tooth arrow. a veno's golem, or puppy, or whatever, can steal aggro from the barb easier than i can.
    a herc is a better tank in TT than a barb
    venos are exceptional at TT runs, and at later levels even squad tt runs make money easier than anything.

with regards to zhenning, you have to be overpowered or you dont level? what sort of argument is that? you make it seem like everyone else is partying in zhen all day while poor rittle you has to grind, alone. that's not the way it works. every other class has to grind as well. we cant depend on zhen to level, that's just foolish. you'll level up and have no money to afford your equipment. the only cleric in our guild that consistently zhens buys charms from boutique using his cash, and the other ones that zhen are bms. that money to afford my high lvl equipment has to come somewhere, and unless i'm rolling in TT mats, i prefer grinding. and why shouldn't i grind? i can grind more than what i get from world quest in the same amount of time without even using exp scroll. grinding is underrated.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    any veno that depends on a legendary pet is a **** player.
    prove it. i have both legendary pets and im far from a **** player.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Veno's aren't wanted for Zhen(even with a herc) because the puller needs a useful buff, defence to handle being chased and a reliable aoe to help out the DD.

Bramble whatever is no help, Aura of the golden bell and the barb hp buff far outclass it.

Most zhen parties only contain 3 people to maximize exp.

You sure you know what you're talkin about? ;o

When I used to zhen, I'd just send the herc and get the mobs. I didn't get hit at all. Other venos would use mounts + cleric buffs...it was no problem.