Veno on a rant.

124»

Comments

• Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The whole point of a heavy caster veno is to thwart your huge weakness, physical attacks, while still being able to attack with magic as effectively as LA.

And 1 attack out of however many skills != being a magic user. IF elemental damage was true magic damage, as Tear points out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Elemental damage is logically countered by elemental resistance in PvP, so it kind of is magic damage.

Also Heavy Mage Veno=Free kill for clerics.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. ; )

While it is NOT physical damage, it is not true magic damage either.

And you sacrifice one thing to be good at another. I die horribly to physical classes despite all my efforts to improve my pdef as much as possible, but I do some pretty nasty mag damage. It's a trade off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dalamaar - Heavens Tear
    Dalamaar - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    That's actually a false generalization that only applies to mage venos, and even then it's still a false generalization. If you are grinding in a high aggro area you will get a repair bill, and each hit will hurt because high int venos have **** for armor when compared to other builds (HA/LA).

Fox Form venos? Armor repair bills, and weapon repair bills. I believe the highest repair bills I've gotten have been between 15-20k which is probably nothing compared to a BM or a Barb.

I gather you've never played a veno before if you think that a veno getting killed is because they played the last mob wrong.

No I have never played a veno.

The point was to make up for low damage.. thats what the pet is for.. as long as it stays alive and holds agro who cares if your damage is low because if played right the mob will never turn on the veno.

And yes a veno can get killed just like everyone else buuuuut if played right they should never die.. Attack mobs at the edge of spawns so nothing spawns on you and in theory you should never die.. slow down your nukes if you pull agro, never attack a mob right next to you and dont be a hero by taking on 5-8 mobs at once..

And just wondering why a squishy veno would sit in a high agro area grinding? they are squishy.. I am squishy so I avoid those areas and grind in ones that are better for me.. do you think grinding in a high agro area as a squishy is the right way to play?
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    almost all good leveling areas are high aggro 80+ -.-, night scream, burning heart, 1k streams areas, and ancient heavens tear etc. theyre all heavily populated, zhen possible leveling spots, and practically the only way to avoid aggro is flying and using an air pet.

we take that risk of a monster coming after us, in theory a good player should be able to get away, but not never die. there will always bee one mob who decides they want cat veno for dinner.

you should at least try a high level one before you speak for the class, because theory does not quite cut the cheese as experience does
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    And just wondering why a squishy veno would sit in a high agro area grinding? they are squishy.. I am squishy so I avoid those areas and grind in ones that are better for me.. do you think grinding in a high agro area as a squishy is the right way to play?

Maybe a veno simply shouldn't do quests that involve mobs in high aggro areas.

Oh wait....

Hope that answers your question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    No I have never played a veno.

The point was to make up for low damage.. thats what the pet is for.. as long as it stays alive and holds agro who cares if your damage is low because if played right the mob will never turn on the veno.

And yes a veno can get killed just like everyone else buuuuut if played right they should never die.. Attack mobs at the edge of spawns so nothing spawns on you and in theory you should never die.. slow down your nukes if you pull agro, never attack a mob right next to you and dont be a hero by taking on 5-8 mobs at once..

I need to borrow Tear's image of the facepalm to use here.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    High agro areas? I grinded on the giant phoenixes in Burning Heart for a few levels. They spawn very fast and are very close together + agro. I was never not getting attacked even as I killed each one in about 3 seconds. Just stuck on an hp charm and went nuts on exp scrolls.

That was one high agro area I loved.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
    edited May 2009
    I need to borrow Tear's image of the facepalm to use here.
    22820761zp1.png
    anon delivers.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I killed each one in about 3 seconds.

bollocks. Phoenix kills fast bit not *that* fast
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    I take it you have not yet learned how to maximze your damage then.
    Main characters
    edited May 2009
    it A. depends on the physical defense and HP of the mob, and B. your build, weapon, and monster resistance.

phoenix does NOT kill that fast alone. but stack it with a sage ironwood, lucky, and venomous spamming, and the mob should be dead in about 6-9 seconds :O
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Don't even need all that. I just used 1 ironwood and that was it. The phoenixes have very low hp. I think I was about level 86 at the time I started doing that.
    Main characters
  • rsin
    rsin Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    1. Veno is the least maintenance role in regards to money needed to be spent on repair cost and charms or potions. Meaning venos accumulate money faster.

2. Venos is the easiest to grind with little worry of actually dieing. Meaning they level faster.

3. Venos can accomplish many quest by themselves that other roles would have no chance of completing without a squad. This makes it possible for them to level fast and possible collect item for sale to aquire more money.

4. Venos have option to buy awesome pet to either allow it to be good PvPer(Nix) or good tanker(Herc).

Overpowered?? I'm not going to say that definitively, i still have much to learn about game. But i will say Venos class, IMO, has more advantages than any other role. Also, they are by far the easiest role to play. Seriously, i think a **** with 25 IQ could manage to level up a veno to at least 50. Im almost proof of that. lvl 45. Can this reatard do 5 more lvls.

1. least maintenance? maybe for veno's who hide behind the pet and let it do all the work.

2. Little worry of dying? Everytime I fire off ironwood i steal aggro. The pet fights 1 mob as I run from 3-5 mobs trying to stay alive while eating pots. I am a veno who doesnt sit there behind the pet. I send the pet after 1 mob then target the next mob for myself.

3. I think answers 1 and 2 already explained that one for you.
    4. Its an option!! an option that other classes dont have. Im tired of veno hate as much as everyone else. i dont want a nix or herc. Im all for balance ingame and i fight accordingly. No unfair advantages coming from me at all.

Overall, veno's with herc's or nix or a maxed out skilled magmite may have the easy no death fast money you talk about. But try telling that to my high maintenance and slow levelling due to dying far to often. I like a challenge, nothing challenging about sitting back letting something do the work for you. id rather get my hands dirty along with the pet. Not all veno's are the same. Rant about that one next!!
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    zoe is talking about the firebath phoenixes...they're pretty easy to kill but dam...3s...
  • Wynve - Dreamweaver
    Wynve - Dreamweaver Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I plat a pve server. kinda glad about that, because playing a veno on a pvp server is really frusturating at times. ANYWAY, very good, took awhile to read.... but still, great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Talinnia - Heavens Tear
    Talinnia - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Don't even need all that. I just used 1 ironwood and that was it. The phoenixes have very low hp. I think I was about level 86 at the time I started doing that.

That's closer to 5 seconds per kill if you take the channel/cast of Ironwood into account.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited June 2009

low? 29k? the average 80 mobs has what? 15-25k?

low? b:bye
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    rsin wrote: »
    1. least maintenance? maybe for veno's who hide behind the pet and let it do all the work.

2. Little worry of dying? Everytime I fire off ironwood i steal aggro. The pet fights 1 mob as I run from 3-5 mobs trying to stay alive while eating pots. I am a veno who doesnt sit there behind the pet. I send the pet after 1 mob then target the next mob for myself.

3. I think answers 1 and 2 already explained that one for you.
    4. Its an option!! an option that other classes dont have. Im tired of veno hate as much as everyone else. i dont want a nix or herc. Im all for balance ingame and i fight accordingly. No unfair advantages coming from me at all.

Overall, veno's with herc's or nix or a maxed out skilled magmite may have the easy no death fast money you talk about. But try telling that to my high maintenance and slow levelling due to dying far to often. I like a challenge, nothing challenging about sitting back letting something do the work for you. id rather get my hands dirty along with the pet. Not all veno's are the same. Rant about that one next!!

1. Hiding behind a pet? Venomancer's are a pet-using class. Go run a BM, de-equip your weapon and fist fight your mobs to death if you don't like hiding behind your weapons.

2. Basic no-skill upgraded magmite and I've very rarely ever stolen agro. Taking on multiple mobs? You're an idiot veno who likes to suicide. Oh, I think I'll round up 4 agro's on my barb each fight and then 1v1 them so I'm not making things too easy for myself since I have a lot of HP. -.-

3. You're absolutely right, suicidal venos with no weapons can't solo bosses and dungeons other classes cannot.

4. You just admitted it's an "unfair advantage". I can imagine you playing a different class and obtaining a warsoul weapon, only to NPC it because it's too good.

Basically what you're saying is, Venos are completely OP but that's k cause we can all play abysmally bad to balance it out and it'll all be fine.
    I don't usually reply to stupidity but....seriously wtf. O_o

On Topic. In my opinion Veno's are only overpowered in PvE.
    edited June 2009
    2. Basic no-skill upgraded magmite and I've very rarely ever stolen agro. Taking on multiple mobs? You're an idiot veno who likes to suicide. Oh, I think I'll round up 4 agro's on my barb each fight and then 1v1 them so I'm not making things too easy for myself since I have a lot of HP. -.-

If I never upgraded the skills on my pets I would pull aggro like it was nothing. Especially with Ironwood Scarab. I have to send my magmite in and hit with both attack skills so it can hold aggro. Pet skills are designed to hold aggro against high spell damage attacks.

It wouldn't surprise me that you are unable to pull aggro off of a Magmite that is your level.
    1. Hiding behind a pet? Venomancer's are a pet-using class. Go run a BM, de-equip your weapon and fist fight your mobs to death if you don't like hiding behind your weapons.

3. You're absolutely right, suicidal venos with no weapons can't solo bosses and dungeons other classes cannot.

A veno's weapon is her spells and we magic weapon. Her pet is her tank.

A better way to look at it is: taking a cleric, giving them one spell that can heal a barb and one that can heal themselves every 5 minutes, and then taking away the barb.

Works really well, right? I mean, the cleric can still attack and kill mobs, but now they don't have their tank. That's the relationship between a venomancer and her pet: caster and tank, not caster and weapon.
    4. You just admitted it's an "unfair advantage". I can imagine you playing a different class and obtaining a warsoul weapon, only to NPC it because it's too good.

It isn't an unfair advantage unless being a class intended to solo is an unfair advantage in which case they'd have to remove the class completely because the advantage isn't the pet, it's their ability to solo.
    Basically what you're saying is, Venos are completely OP but that's k cause we can all play abysmally bad to balance it out and it'll all be fine.
    I don't usually reply to stupidity but....seriously wtf. O_o

No, that isn't what he said, that's what you want him to have said.
    On Topic. In my opinion Veno's are only overpowered in PvE.

Which venos are OP?

Fox form venos, full arcane venos, hybrid venos, or venos with a CS pet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epherine
    epherine Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I don't suppose it really occurred to some that imbalance speaks for itself when you have daily QQ threads on the same class, a ton of people playing the class itself, and so on. It wouldn't be that bad at all if they never had the cash shop pets, but its too late for that. It's almost uncorrectable. They can't just nerf venomancers themselves, because not everyone has the cash shop pets, and they can't exactly nerf the pets because it reduces the amount of income flow, not to mention the QQ threads/ragequits resulting from such a nerf, since it is linked to a substantial amount of cash.

Little worry of dying? It's true. Maybe venomancers can't kill mobs as fast as some classes later on, but they sure do it safer. Mana drain, slow, sealing and such, has little effect. They can also run if the pet takes too much aggro.

People really need to stop making these threads though, there's not much to be done, or much that the devs want to do. I mean, there's giving every class a $200 option, but as i've stated in some other thread, i'd rather not have the game dissolve into people having them as a necessity or be labeled as useless.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    neither the phoenix or the veno is overpowered, as stated by many other people. it's the bugged skill that needs to be fixed. that wont stop cash flow, it'll just mean that more people get a herc instead.
    edited June 2009
    epherine wrote: »
    I don't suppose it really occurred to some that imbalance speaks for itself when you have daily QQ threads on the same class, a ton of people playing the class itself, and so on. It wouldn't be that bad at all if they never had the cash shop pets, but its too late for that. It's almost uncorrectable. They can't just nerf venomancers themselves, because not everyone has the cash shop pets, and they can't exactly nerf the pets because it reduces the amount of income flow, not to mention the QQ threads/ragequits resulting from such a nerf, since it is linked to a substantial amount of cash.

That is not why they cannot nerf the pet's stats. They cannot nerf the pet's stats because it would be blatantly unfair to those to paid for those pets. They won't nerf the pets because there is nothing wrong with the pets.

People QQ about venos because they don't bother looking beyond what they want and what they don't have.
    Little worry of dying? It's true. Maybe venomancers can't kill mobs as fast as some classes later on, but they sure do it safer. Mana drain, slow, sealing and such, has little effect. They can also run if the pet takes too much aggro.
    d

Do you even PLAY a venomancer???
    People really need to stop making these threads though, there's not much to be done, or much that the devs want to do. I mean, there's giving every class a $200 option, but as i've stated in some other thread, i'd rather not have the game dissolve into people having them as a necessity or be labeled as useless.

You really should stop speaking as if you know what the devs want to do, are going to do, are doing, or what their motivations for doing something or not doing something.

The text in red is the only thing you posted I agree with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epherine
    epherine Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    When I said cash shop pets were linked to a substantial amount of cash, I meant that it wouldn't be right to change what people are paying for. Then again, companies do what they feel is right for the business. Saying that there is nothing wrong with the pets is just an opinion, not a fact, and there are a number of people who say otherwise.

Not all people complain about venos because they don't look beyond what they want and what they can't have, some see it as a balance issue that affects the community as a whole.
    Do you even PLAY a venomancer???

I really hope you're not thinking that I believe venos themselves are immune to these debuffs, but rather that it doesn't affect them as much as other people, because their pet takes the brunt of it. Repeated mana drains on a pet does nothing, while the same will cripple another class.

I'm not speaking as if I know what the devs want to do, etc. I'm speaking on the basis of seeing what work the devs have done so far on PW, and using judgement on that to form an opinion.