Emergency Maintenance Complete - Please Read

Options

Comments

• Domnorix - Heavens Tear
    Domnorix - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    this recent **** up actaully is making lots of players post comments in the forums that didnt before. lol guess thats a good thing.
  • Anomandariss - Heavens Tear
    Anomandariss - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Just wow.

You fixed the problem so quickly, with no roll - backs, and you were strong enough to apologize for the whole situation and explain it.

Epic win for you guys, keep up the good work.
  • Mali_dark - Heavens Tear
    Mali_dark - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    b:laugh I never did before, so maybe it is good. Nahhh....
    Woof!
    edited February 2009
    Options
    b:laugh I never did before, so maybe it is good. Nahhh....

Welcome to the forums.
  • Agravain - Heavens Tear
    Agravain - Heavens Tear Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Gold trading on Heavens Tear is going for a min. of 105k-120k, up from the previous 100-105k. Either the gold sellers are still hoping to cash in on the exploit and setting their prices artificially high, or there are still a few rich gold buyers out there pushing it up a bit. I would be interested to know what the gold price is on Sanctuary where it appears that the majority of the exploiters reigned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brittannian
    brittannian Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    yeah no roll back please

my friend who got 5 billion gold yesterday just gave me 1 billion b:victory

guess thats not 2 bad b:chuckle
  • Rhodopsin - Heavens Tear
    Rhodopsin - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Yay accounts suspended!
    I sincerily hope they were suspended for a damn long time, I'd have personally banned their booties for -ever-
  • ramman
    ramman Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    fridays are the only days i get to really train + over the weekend and i was out for a full day on training , does anyone else think a server wide xp boost over the weekend would be a good idea? for those who have to grind for HOURS just to lvl because of LACK of quests?if you can fulfill this wish i'd be very much happy, and i'm POSSITIVE everyone else would be happy for it as wellb:thanksb:cold
    edited February 2009
    Options
    sign the petition if you think a rollback i s the best way to fix this issue
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=190691&page=2
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Gold trading will remain bizarre for a few days but if no one buys at those silly prices eventually it'll go down. Just don't buy it and encourage others not to buy at that price.

Rollback petitions are so going to not pass, the time that people are gaming NOW would be lost by the time people sign and send the petition, so it'd end up with a rollback destroying DAYS instead of just some hours. And I agree a rollback might have messed up a lot of accounts like my friend who joined just before the server went down.

I've done game testing a whole summer for a QA company and I know how hard it is to avoid every bug, some bugs are found doing a whole series of very improbable event and in a MMO there just are so many improbable events that you can't blame the GMs or programmers for not seeing every possibility as that would be trillions; what's important is the game doesn't have what we call "A" or "B" class bugs which means crashes/staying stuck and things that outright don't work like an epic weapon that just doesn't do the damage it's suppose to.

It's hard to prevent all exploits in a game that big, as said, there are TOO many possibilities, just like how they STILL manage to virus up Windows after so long (but that's a whole other thing, still, bigger the software the more holes you can find)... ALL THAT to say that I'm quite sure the mods/GMs/programmers did a good job and I'm quite happy with suspension of accounts and the fact their money was removed so in the end they won nothing. Though, yeah, now a successful patch is inevitably needed. But it's hard to work under pressure like that.
  • Ethas - Heavens Tear
    Ethas - Heavens Tear Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    ROLLBACK

It wont hurt anyone.

Trust me if a new player has joined he will make it that small character. What about the high level players?
    edited February 2009
    Options
    What about high levelled players? I may have missed the point but they already removed unfair money from accounts and suspended accounts so ... what could be bugging high levelled players so bad at this point?

It might hurt people who got a rare item during that time.

That's just like saying everytime your comp gets a virus you'll just use the little option to do a system restore and lose all your latest stuff even if the antivirus caught the virus and fixed it =P
  • Allluar - Heavens Tear
    Allluar - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    b:cry i wanted the Rose set so bad.... stupid bug!!!

watchout people next moth theres another friday 13!!! say your prayers farm your clovers!

I was so happy there were long boots = ( or kinda rocker style stuff. Not all girls are quite addict to dressy dresses and delicate sandals :P i wish there was something like... a female version of Helmsley Set! xD that would be awesome. But anwyay i noticed almost every month there are new stuff =D

Keeping on the waiting!!
    ~*. ''Quies custodes ipsos custodiets?'' .*~
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm not going to fret about it, instead I'll go enjoy the game ;)
    b:bye
  • Ethas - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    What about high levelled players? I may have missed the point but they already removed unfair money from accounts and suspended accounts so ... what could be bugging high levelled players so bad at this point?

It might hurt people who got a rare item during that time.

That's just like saying everytime your comp gets a virus you'll just use the little option to do a system restore and lose all your latest stuff even if the antivirus caught the virus and fixed it =P

BUT THE "ANTIVIRUS" was not up to date and had a BACKDOOR and the virus is spreading, infecting your valuable files , You try to open them and ERROR the file is corrupted. Your only choice is to do a SYSTEM RESTORE. Or later do a fresh install and what do you choose?
  • zuleica
    zuleica Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    yeah no roll back please

my friend who got 5 billion gold yesterday just gave me 1 billion b:victory

guess thats not 2 bad b:chuckle

I you are serious then both you and your friend should be removed along with your coin.

I would have hoped you'd have had the sense to know that accepting that coin was unethical.
  • ReYVynN - Heavens Tear
    ReYVynN - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    So everything isnt fixed the way everybody wants it. The GM's never said the issue was COMPLETELY resolved.

I for one appreciate the effort that was put into getting us back in-game. That doesnt mean that i agree with the solutions implemented to this point.

As far as the rampant flaming of poster's as "exploiters" goes... I don't agree with (though i really don't feel like arguing) with some of your opinions. Will you now label me as one of said "exploiters" due to that? I'll have you know that when i logged before shutdown yesterday that i have only a lil over 100k coins and all my skills/equipment are the same as they were when i logged off before the bugged patch.

Point I'm tryin to make is... there's no frackin need to flame poster's and sling accusations for them expressing there opinion, especially when they're doing it in the appropriate venue.

And for the record, I voted for rollback in the poll yesterday, and my name is on todays petition.
  • DeliaLotus - Lost City
    DeliaLotus - Lost City Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Thanks GMs, and everyone involved in fixing this, for all your hard work, especially right before Valentine's Day!
  • zuleica
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Gold trading on Heavens Tear is going for a min. of 105k-120k, up from the previous 100-105k. Either the gold sellers are still hoping to cash in on the exploit and setting their prices artificially high, or there are still a few rich gold buyers out there pushing it up a bit. I would be interested to know what the gold price is on Sanctuary where it appears that the majority of the exploiters reigned.

Considering how soon it is after the exploit that inflation isn't all that bad.
  • Ethas - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The economy is not at all fixed to many people have ILLEGAL Items , MOUNTS , PETS , CLOTHES, SKILLS, and millions of COINS
  • MissEbil - Heavens Tear
    MissEbil - Heavens Tear Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Just hurry up and fix the bugs in the Duke Rose set!
    I MUST HAVE THOSE SEXEH BOOTS!!!b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud member of the VenoMafia.

b:flower Read my FanFic! b:flower
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=334222
  • Zhoelle - Sanctuary
    Zhoelle - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Congratulations on the return online. Thank you for your sincere public letter & good on ya for admitting the error (s**t happens). I respect you even more for your forthright honesty. See you back in the game b:victory
  • zuleica
    edited February 2009
    Options
    avidgamer wrote: »
    If I may, let me pose a hypothetical situation, and see the community's response to it. Suppose you were in a class, and your class took an exam. After the results of the exam were released, it was revealed that a good percentage of the class had cheated on it, thus negatively influencing the curve, and hurting the whole class. The professor, in his effort to clean up the mess, takes measures to root out the cheaters and void their scores. However, this process is found to only be partially effective, and many cheaters go undetected. What do you think would be the best way to handle this? Would it be to accept that the professor's actions are sufficient and that rooting out only most of the cheaters is enough? Or would you demand a retest? I think it is clear that most would want a retest, and PWI's version of a retest is the rollback. Understandably, those that got an A honestly would be annoyed, but for the good of the community, a retest is a necessary measure.

Many may argue that this bears no resemblance to the issue that is ravaging PWI currently. In some respects I would have to agree, however, the major elements parallel eachother. The cheaters gained an unfair advantage over those who played the game honestly. There are those that argue that what others do is of no concern to them and does not affect them. This may be true for you, but not for the majority. The goal of many of the higher level players is to PK and TW. Others' skill lvl, refining lvl, equipment, etc play directly into the equation; it simply isn't fair to everyone who plays PWI if any cheater goes unchecked. Given the vast scope and complexity of this problem, it simply isn't practical to believe that the GM's will catch all the cheaters.(Since all transactions, trades, skills/items bought, etc need to be tracked) It seems to me the only reasonable solution is a rollback. Please act quickly, because the longer it takes, the more fallout it will create.

As a corollary, it seems like the majority of responses advocate a rollback. Why, then, is it not being implemented?

The majority of responses here do not represent the majority of players of PW. MMO forums are not generally representative of the typical player. So polls here are not an indicator of the acceptance of an action taken by PW.

We have very little knowledge of all of the factors that they weighed when they made this decision...including their estimation of how much of the exploit they cleaned up.

Arm-chair quarterbacking is easy...especially in retrospect.
  • Ethas - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Options
    AND SO I CAN BE SARCASTIC

Lets just w8 for the next update and we can buy your boots , ill buy them for you just w8 for the next patch.
  • zuleica
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The economy is not at all fixed to many people have ILLEGAL Items , MOUNTS , PETS , CLOTHES, SKILLS, and millions of COINS

You must 'know' this because you have a sampling of specific people you KNOW have exploited this bug? If so turn them in or you're just condoning their actions.

If you don't have any first-hand knowledge then your opinion that "too many people have" these things is pure speculation.

Identify those you think have illegally aquired these things so that PW can investigate and remove them.
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    zuleica wrote: »
    The majority of responses here do not represent the majority of players of PW. MMO forums are not generally representative of the typical player. So polls here are not an indicator of the acceptance of an action taken by PW.

We have very little knowledge of all of the factors that they weighed when they made this decision...including their estimation of how much of the exploit they cleaned up.

Arm-chair quarterbacking is easy...especially in retrospect.

so you claim your side does.
    are you trying to say most players are favourable to cheating or willing to use the mass to feel less guilty?
    if you say so, share please. all info is welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Zuleica - Heavens Tear
    Zuleica - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    so you claim your side does.
    are you trying to say most players are favourable to cheating or willing to use the mass to feel less guilty?
    if you say so, share please. all info is welcome.

Huh? My side of what?

I'm saying that anone that claims the majority of PLAYERS favor a rollback based on a poll here is incorrect. All it shows is the majority of players on this FORUM favor a rollback. And I was pointing out that MMO forums are typically NOT representative of the entire player base.

The issue was about rollbacks. Not wanting a rollback is NOT logically equivalent to favoring cheating. Economic indicators of the relative health of the economy would be average prices of a wide sampling of auction items and the disparity between the buy and sell prices of gold. Site relevant and verifiable non-anecodotal facts that point to massive long-term disruptions in the economy and THEN ask for a rollback. Then you'll have something for PW to pay attention to.

Incidently I voted in the first poll yesterday FOR a rollback. It was appropriate at THAT time. PW has taken a course of action they feel was appropriate and polling for a rollback now is unrealistic. Even though I might still vote for one it would ONLY be because I haven't played since the servers came back so I'd have nothing to lose. I have seen no convincing EVIDENCE of lasting economic disruption.
  • Yunmi - Heavens Tear
    Yunmi - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    zuleica wrote: »
    You must 'know' this because you have a sampling of specific people you KNOW have exploited this bug? If so turn them in or you're just condoning their actions.

If you don't have any first-hand knowledge then your opinion that "too many people have" these things is pure speculation.

Identify those you think have illegally aquired these things so that PW can investigate and remove them.

It's not that easy to track down every single player who somehow benefited from the glitch in one way or another . I'd go as far as to say it's pratically impossible , given the high number of players in this game .

But it's not really hard to notice way too many people with raptors , kirins , clothes , special wings , and whatever else wandering about in Archosaur . Of course you can never say who's a cheater and who's not for sure just by looking at them .

So yeah , I'm saying hunting down exploiters one by one is not efficient at all . You'll never get all of them like that .
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    suspended, not banned? So they'll be back in a few weeks i guess.

its great 10billion was removed, but how about those who spent these coins buying rare and expensive stuff, get suspended, and come back few weeks later the richest guy ingame?

I would hope they had that gear removed as well. In another MMO I played the rep vendors got bugged after one patch and a lot of people abused it to get their gear for much much less, or free, and when they fixed the problem they removed the gear bought from people who had abused the bug like that. It would be my opinion that a certain level 89 who was crowing about having used the glitch to get her level 90 gear should have been both suspended and had that gear removed from her posession.
    It's not that easy to track down every single player who somehow benefited from the glitch in one way or another . I'd go as far as to say it's pratically impossible , given the high number of players in this game .

But it's not really hard to notice way too many people with raptors , kirins , clothes , special wings , and whatever else wandering about in Archosaur . Of course you can never say who's a cheater and who's not for sure just by looking at them .

So yeah , I'm saying hunting down exploiters one by one is not efficient at all . You'll never get all of them like that .

It's not efficient, but the game logs will probably allow them to track where it all went.

People have said 70 people got banned, but what the post really said was that over 70 had been banned which means more than 70 have been banned, and more are probably coming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zuleica - Heavens Tear
    Zuleica - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options

No, you won't get them all. You weigh the estimated effect of each course of action and choose the one you feel is less disruptive. PW did that and they have access to information we do not.

If I were standing on the outside and had to choose who's risk assessment and management plan to go with I'd take the group that had the most information to work with. That is NOT the people here on this forum. It IS the entire PW staff, GMs, QA testers, developers and their business management team.

You can second-guess till the cows come home but you simply don't have enough relevant information to make a decision that is optimal for the larger picture.
This discussion has been closed.