Server Roll Back?

Comments

• DevilCrys - Heavens Tear
    DevilCrys - Heavens Tear Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    schexie wrote: »
    be Prepared That Much People Leaving Pw If U Rollback I Came Back Here 3 Days Ago I Switched Ig Gold I Had Pwi Europ To Ig Here So I Spend My Last 5 Million To Have 5 Million Here If U Rollback Everythingh I Had Gone ! I Bought Me My Whole Stuff On Pwi Us And Leveld My New Venomancer Up 42 Levels Here M,ade All Production Skills To Lvl 3 And They Can Be Upgrade 4 With 4 Only Blacksmith Missing U Will Fu Ck Up My Last Hope To Finaly Make A Lvl 100 Here After The Pwi Europe Server Just Have Been Messed Up And Made Me Come Back Here Im Really Upset It U Roll Back All My Work And Then I Completly Leave Pw B:bye I Hope U Wont Rollback
    B:sad

Youll Lose 15 Hours Of Work Wow Boo Hoo Stop Qqing And Understand What A Roll Back Is..
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    already got my HH90 full set with +6, just need 1 more lvl b:dirty b:victory thx to this glitch

You won't if they roll the servers back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tazuki - Lost City
    Tazuki - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    You won't if they roll the servers back.

2GMs (Xarfox and panda) already voted on not to roll backb:thanks
  • Dianaria - Heavens Tear
    Dianaria - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I just purchased $50.00 U.S. bucks of zen..I transferred all to Heaven's Tear.
    I now get to login screen, and see the announcement of emergency maintenance...I come to PW website forums to check up on what's going on, and I see this roll back thing being discussed.
    Question Guys, if there is roll back, and not sure what all that involves, but will my zen, (gold) I just transferred to Heaven's Tear still be there when and if I ever get in game? b:thanks
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    2GMs (Xarfox and panda) already voted on not to roll backb:thanks

Just because they do not want to roll them back does not mean they will not do so anyway.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • pleinair
    pleinair Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'm curious, where do people get the "fifteen hours" figure from?

I'm assuming that whatever the PWI backup strategy, they would at least take an extra backup when they shut the servers down last night to introduce the new code. That would obviously be the point to roll back to, since it was the new code that introduced the issues.

Servers go down at 11pm PST, and they're scheduled to come back up at 1am PST, right? And then they went back down again at about 11:20am PST. So assuming things were on schedule, the longest you could've played would be about ten hours, not fifteen.

Just offhand, I'm betting there aren't a lot of people who sat and waited for the servers to come back up, then sat there grinding for ten hours, ignoring all the mayhem on WC. The rest of us, myself included, would lose some activity, maybe even a few hours worth, but I can't very well say I lost "ten hours of grinding", let alone fifteen.

Also, to the people who bought gold during the period that would be rolled back:

You may notice that the website keeps track of your entire history of buying and transferring zen into servers.

Speaking as someone who knows how something like this would logically be laid out: It's pretty much a given that a rollback would be for the game databases only, not the system-wide accounting database.

All they would have to do after a rollback would be to reverse the zen-to-gold transfers that occurred during the period being rolled back. All your rolled-back gold goes back to being zen, ready to turn back into gold again once things are back to normal.

Granted, this is just speculation on my part, but that's the obvious way to handle a situation like this. It's exactly why the system keeps such careful track of your zen transactions. Any system that handles real money, especially turning it into virtual money in a volatile game database, has to have this kind of accounting in order to deal with exactly these kinds of situations.

So, let's try not to panic and just let the devs and GMs do their jobs, okay?
  • Tazuki - Lost City
    Tazuki - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just because they do not want to roll them back does not mean they will not do so anyway.

but they'll try not to b:laughb:pleased
  • DeathTune - Lost City
    DeathTune - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    LOL wtf exactly happened... I went to sleep yesterday.. went to school.. came back.. and now the whole PWI is in chaos...
  • Foxygoth - Heavens Tear
    Foxygoth - Heavens Tear Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    pleinair wrote: »

I'm assuming that whatever the PWI backup strategy, they would at least take an extra backup when they shut the servers down last night to introduce the new code. That would obviously be the point to roll back to, since it was the new code that introduced the issues.

Servers go down at 11pm PST, and they're scheduled to come back up at 1am PST, right? And then they went back down again at about 11:20am PST. So assuming things were on schedule, the longest you could've played would be about ten hours, not fifteen.

Just offhand, I'm betting there aren't a lot of people who sat and waited for the servers to come back up, then sat there grinding for ten hours, ignoring all the mayhem on WC. The rest of us, myself included, would lose some activity, maybe even a few hours worth, but I can't very well say I lost "ten hours of grinding", let alone fifteen.

Also, to the people who bought gold during the period that would be rolled back:

You may notice that the website keeps track of your entire history of buying and transferring zen into servers.

Speaking as someone who knows how something like this would logically be laid out: It's pretty much a given that a rollback would be for the game databases only, not the system-wide accounting database.

All they would have to do after a rollback would be to reverse the zen-to-gold transfers that occurred during the period being rolled back. All your rolled-back gold goes back to being zen, ready to turn back into gold again once things are back to normal.

Granted, this is just speculation on my part, but that's the obvious way to handle a situation like this. It's exactly why the system keeps such careful track of your zen transactions. Any system that handles real money, especially turning it into virtual money in a volatile game database, has to have this kind of accounting in order to deal with exactly these kinds of situations.

So, let's try not to panic and just let the devs and GMs do their jobs, okay?

let gms do there jobs lol 4 hours to fix it lmaob:laugh
    foxygoth-lvl92- arcane veno

ElfyGoth-lvl 65-support cleric
    edited February 2009
    pleinair wrote: »

They might, they might not. If they did, it might only have been the changes since the last back-up. It can take hours to do a complete back-up which might be one of the things they do when they take the servers down for extended maintenance, but not for a shorter maintenance like yesterday's.

My guess is they get the "15h" from how long it's been since the servers been down when, in actuality, it might be 2-3 days since the last complete back-up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    They back up each maintence..once a week..Last night was one...So thats why they can roll back uptill when servers opened ...... SMART ONE AINTCHA
  • wyrde
    wyrde Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    My guess is they get the "15h" from how long it's been since the servers been down when, in actuality, it might be 2-3 days since the last complete back-up.
    They back up each maintence..once a week..Last night was one...So thats why they can roll back uptill when servers opened ...... SMART ONE AINTCHA

Hope that's really not how they handle their data backups. Should be a full image every day with a differential every 2 to 4 hours.

If it's less often than that or, gods forbid, they actually use tape for their primary backup, someone needs fired.

Even as stingy as PWRD is on their estranged stepchild of PWE I doubt they'd be that . . . I'll be polite and say inefficient.

-w
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    wyrde wrote: »
    Hope that's really not how they handle their data backups. Should be a full image every day with a differential every 2 to 4 hours.

I think it's safe to assume they do a full backup when they take the servers down for maintenance, and don't immediately delete it the minute the new patch is up and running. So it should be easy to roll back to before the regular (delayed) maintenance. Cash transactions should be logged, so again it'd be easy to reimburse anyone who bought Zen between when the servers came back online and now.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    rollback will **** me off, i bought the outfit from cash shop this morning and it turned out red. think of how many dyes i would have to use to get it red if i buy it again. b:angry

Hey, it could be worse. I've been renting since 2005. I've had enough money for a down payment on a house, but the home prices made absolutely no sense (I did the math and you needed to be making something like $150k/yr to afford an "average" home in the middle-class area I was in). So I banked my money and kept renting. Now that the housing bubble has burst, people are going on about how the government should use my tax money to help them keep those homes they paid too much for.

At least your red outfit is just part of a game.
    edited February 2009

If it's less often than that or, gods forbid, they actually use tape for their primary backup, someone needs fired.

Even as stingy as PWRD is on their estranged stepchild of PWE I doubt they'd be that . . . I'll be polite and say inefficient.

-w

It really depends on how much data they are willing to lose if something goes haywire. Doing a backup while the systems are running also has the side-effect of increasing the system load, and when the system has a lot of people accessing it because it's a game server it can cause problems due to the increased server load. Yes, back-ups increase server load even with robust servers that can handle a lot of traffic. The best time to do a back-up is when there is a decreased amount of load on the server when the fewest number of people will be impacted which might mean not every 2-4 hours which increases the amount of space needed for back-ups. For a server farm with the amount of data they need to back-up, a tape based system probably is not cheap, and they might be using a SATA based hard drive system, but the likely hood is that they are using a tape based system.

Except neither you nor I work for PWI, and neither you nor I know how they do back-ups, or what kind of system they use. IMHO, it would not surprise me if they used a tape based system and did either incremental or differential back-ups once a day with complete back-ups once a week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Foxygoth - Heavens Tear
    Foxygoth - Heavens Tear Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    It really depends on how much data they are willing to lose if something goes haywire. Doing a backup while the systems are running also has the side-effect of increasing the system load, and when the system has a lot of people accessing it because it's a game server it can cause problems due to the increased server load. Yes, back-ups increase server load even with robust servers that can handle a lot of traffic. The best time to do a back-up is when there is a decreased amount of load on the server when the fewest number of people will be impacted which might mean not every 2-4 hours which increases the amount of space needed for back-ups. For a server farm with the amount of data they need to back-up, a tape based system probably is not cheap, and they might be using a SATA based hard drive system, but the likely hood is that they are using a tape based system.

Except neither you nor I work for PWI, and neither you nor I know how they do back-ups, or what kind of system they use. IMHO, it would not surprise me if they used a tape based system and did either incremental or differential back-ups once a day with complete back-ups once a week.
    they should ban the ppl who took part in it all get servers back up dam now 5 hours so far go downloads better gameb:bye
    foxygoth-lvl92- arcane veno

ElfyGoth-lvl 65-support cleric
  • unknown1068
    unknown1068 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I think it's safe to assume they do a full backup when they take the servers down for maintenance, and don't immediately delete it the minute the new patch is up and running. So it should be easy to roll back to before the regular (delayed) maintenance. Cash transactions should be logged, so again it'd be easy to reimburse anyone who bought Zen between when the servers came back online and now.

I would imagine that the servers operate like any other computer, where when you do a system roll-back you the last 5-10 complete server save points. So technically they could roll it back to last maintenance or several weeks ago (if they choose to) depending on when it would best fix the bug. However I would imagine that (if) they rolled back it would only be from last maintenance.

P.S. it just now has been 15 1/2 hours since the maintenance.. I am amazed how ya'll got 15 hours of grinding in 8-10 hours of play. I personally would like to know the secret, if anyone would care to share.
    You made one crucial mistake: You left me my spoon
  • Shrax - Lost City
    Shrax - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I would really rather not have a rollback happen. My boyfriend and I just started playing on Monday or so, and that would set us back a lot. :/ But if it's the only way to solve the problem, then I guess there's not much of a choice, eh? Then again, I don't know the whole situation. :P
  • wyrde
    wyrde Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Considering the servers aren't back up to at least a pre-patch status...

I'm starting to think they hired a bunch of cheap Chinese labor to stand in a really big field hastily scribbling on index cards for their backup solution. b:chuckle

(I only say cheap Chinese labor because we all know ferrets are more expensive.)

-w
  • Amazicalguy - Heavens Tear
    Amazicalguy - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    When can we go back on the servers? Just wondering >_> b:surrender
  • EeKuhBhu - Heavens Tear
    EeKuhBhu - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Considering the servers aren't back up to at least a pre-patch status...

I'm starting to think they hired a bunch of cheap Chinese labor to stand in a really big field hastily scribbling on index cards for their backup solution. b:chuckle

(I only say cheap Chinese labor because we all know ferrets are more expensive.)

-w

Well since the servers are in California I am going to say proably not cheap Chinese labor, but don't rule out the ferrets quite yet
  • kentspet
    kentspet Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    a very good friend game myself and my husband an inventory stone last night shortly b4 we went to bed. first thing this morning we used it. if they roll back will it b in our banks again or what???
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say dont shoot.
    im a nonconformist.
  • Alleta - Lost City
    Alleta - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Excuse me but for everyone who is talking about this 15 hours rollback thing, I'd like to point out that server maintance occured at 1am my time (California time) which techniquely according to current time (5pm) 16 hours. Therefore, I can assure you if they do a rollback it will be to the time of the last maintance which was Thursday Feb 12 at 11pm (California time). Maybe this will help some of you?
    Cause I'd Get A Thousand Hugs
    From Ten Thousand Lightning Bugs
    As They Tried To Teach Me How To Dance
    A Foxtrot Above My head
    A Sockhop Beneath My Bed
    A Disco Ball Is Just hanging By A thread
    I'd Like To make Myself Believe That Planet earth Turns Slowly
    It's Hard To Say That I'd Rather Stay Awake When I'm Asleep
    Cause Everything Is Never As It Seems
    When I Fall Asleep
    Leave My Door Open Just A crack
    edited February 2009
    Excuse me but for everyone who is talking about this 15 hours rollback thing, I'd like to point out that server maintance occured at 1am my time (California time) which techniquely according to current time (5pm) 16 hours. Therefore, I can assure you if they do a rollback it will be to the time of the last maintance which was Thursday Feb 12 at 11pm (California time). Maybe this will help some of you?

Yeah.. it helps those QQing about their magical 15 hours of grindtime they would lose if they the system was rolled back...

And its Oregon time too (>^_^<)

Its amazing how sensible West coast Americans are.
    edited February 2009
    Wow servers still not up, Takes yall this long? ROLL IT BACK ALREADY HONESTLY.. Stop wasting our time more... Pathetic.. You guys run PWI server and have to call in every problem to china.. Come on now..
  • kentspet
    kentspet Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    a very good friend game myself and my husband an inventory stone last night shortly b4 we went to bed. first thing this morning we used it. if they roll back will it b in our banks again or what???

anyone have a guess as to the answer???
    its killing me. did she waste her money and is lost forever or will they still b there?
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say dont shoot.
    im a nonconformist.
    edited February 2009
    Wow servers still not up, Takes yall this long? ROLL IT BACK ALREADY HONESTLY.. Stop wasting our time more... Pathetic.. You guys run PWI server and have to call in every problem to china.. Come on now..

Just a question... have you ever tried to fix a glitch on a server that offer gaming services to multiple countries world round, plus trying to figure out a way to neutralize the "exploit" while making sure everyone is happy about the outcome?

Didn't think so. These things take a long time... Patches are worked on all week.. so they are trying to do alot of work in a short amount of time. Give them a break.

P.S. its sunny out, go get a tan or play in the traffic or something..
    edited February 2009
    Just a question... have you ever tried to fix a glitch on a server that offer gaming services to multiple countries world round, plus trying to figure out a way to neutralize the "exploit" while making sure everyone is happy about the outcome?

Didn't think so. These things take a long time... Patches are worked on all week.. so they are trying to do alot of work in a short amount of time. Give them a break.

Its snowy/rainy here, They are doing alot of work true.. No updates on whats happening and if there will be a roll back..I see GMs posting on forums with pointless spam.. Mhmm hard workers!
    edited February 2009
    kentspet wrote: »

anyone have a guess as to the answer???
    its killing me. did she waste her money and is lost forever or will they still b there?

Well as stated before, if you transferred the Zhen and bought the stone before the server Maintenance than you will be fine and have the stone still.. If you transferred the Zhen after Maintenance than you will probably have to wait a little longer to get your money back.. There is a financial record that is kept on all purchases and transfers so there is a record of it. It just will take some time
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009

world restore to before maintenance, take out this weeks patch till its properly fixed,make updated take out new files and...voila, UO admining ftw

and getting a tan with no sun and currently no moon, thanks for advice!