Update server problems

Comments

• xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Everyone who is having problems updating, please post what version number pops up on your launcher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kithy
    kithy Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    da1ca wrote: »
    I just installed the game on another computer that is running windows XP and it works fine. My windows Vista is the one that doesn't work.

Same here: Windows Vista. I downloaded the client directly from this site. Game version: 1.

Same problem. Downloading the client took two days, which is longer than any of my other f2p games have ever taken - so I'm happily expecting utmost quality. But I don't especially feel like spending another two days reinstalling. I'll do that by the end of the week if I must, but that's my last resort.

The admin is working hard and bouncing around all over the place trying to try satisfy and quell everyone. It's late. We're all cranky. So before ya'll explode at the poor admin, try and imagine all the stress they're under. @_@

I'll be patient. The only thing I can hope for is a link to directly and manually download and install the patch. Until then, I'm off to bed. I'll check back in the morning, and, with any luck, the patch will miraculously work fine. If not, I'm stickin' that .zip file on a cd and taking it to my Windows XP in the corner and blaming Vista.
  • rzx
    rzx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    xarfox wrote: »
    Everyone who is having problems updating, please post what version number pops up on your launcher.

Game version: 1

Just reinstalled for the 3rd time, still stuck at buff_str.txt
  • sachertortecake
    sachertortecake Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Game version: 1.
  • xarfox
    edited August 2008
    rzx wrote: »
    Game version: 1

Just reinstalled for the 3rd time, still stuck at buff_str.txt

Thanks for your feedback rzx. I can assure you that this information is being fed to our technical team and is being looked at.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rzx
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for your feedback rzx. I can assure you that this information is being fed to our technical team and is being looked at.

Hey, no problem. This is what beta is for.
  • tab
    tab Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Is a problem with Win VIsta .

I have no problems on XP but... Vista can't connect to the server.
  • xarfox
    edited August 2008
    tab wrote: »

Make sure that you're running the program as administrator. Also check your firewall settings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rzx
    edited August 2008
    tab wrote: »

This thread is not about connection problems to the server.
  • xarfox
    edited August 2008
    For all of you that are having patching issues, please bare with us. We are currently relaying all of our technical issues to the appropriate teams and solutions are being worked on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rzx
    edited August 2008
    For all of you that are having patching issues, please bare with us. We are currently relaying all of our technical issues to the appropriate teams and solutions are being worked on.

Thanks for the update xarfox.
  • da1ca
    da1ca Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I have Version 1, tried reinstalling a couple times. Still no dice.
  • orinj
    orinj Posts: 460 admin
    edited August 2008
    like Xarfox mentioned, we've already contacted engineering about this. we woke them up from their much needed slumber to expedite the case.

we'll have to answer to a bunch of grumpy engineers tomorrow. they're scary >_>

but hang tight and we'll try to get this handled ASAP.

thanks for your patience,

orinj
    F.E.A.R. has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run - OR - Face Everything And Rise. The choice is yours, my friend.
  • da1ca
    da1ca Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    A bit of an update for the Admins, I copied the patched files from my working computer to the one with the non-working patcher, and I got to the point where I can load up the game, but when I get in, the Notice screen is empty and I cannot see the pings of the game servers and I get "Unable to COnnect" when I try to login. But my other computer running windows XP, on the same network runs the game fine.

Not sure if this is a related problem, but when I goto settings in the launcher, on my Vista machine that isn't connecting properly I can't see "OS", "RAM". "CPU" etc. but on my XP machine, my system stats show up fine, I can see my CPU speed and what not.
  • drmginius
    drmginius Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I was having the same problem,but restart the client a lot of times and be sure that you got "resume unfinished updates" button deactivated;when I deactivated it,patch started to download well. I haved to try it some times,but updated,finally. Im not sure about the "resume unfinished updates" button fact,may be just coincidence,but it happened to my like that. My theory is that the beta client cant resume interrupted updated downloads then crashes.

I hope that im helping and not just bugging with this message...
  • xarfox
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for your updates guys. We are most definitely compiling your information and doing our best to get you all in-game as soon as possible. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • felixomni
    felixomni Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    If you make the patch files available for direct download instead of only through the client's automatic update process, then people should be able to update manually without having to access the server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IGN:Nepheneee
  • rzx
    edited August 2008
    Not sure if this will help but, I did not use the PW download manager to download my client. I downloaded from Gamershell.com. My friend who patched fine says he used the manager to get the client, which got me thinking. The download from Gamershell.com had a corrupted data4.pck, which I downloaded from filefront, someone was kind enough to upload just that file so I did not have to download the entire file agian. After the patcher failed, I ran a torrent recheck on the files I had, and it downloaded a few %. I'm guessing it was downloading the corrupted part of the data4.pck.

Anyways, I'm currently downloading from the manager in hopes it will work.
  • rzx
    edited August 2008
    felixomni wrote: »
    If you make the patch files available for direct download instead of only through the client's automatic update process, then people should be able to update manually without having to access the server.

I was hoping they would do this also, just to get us in game. It does not look like they will be doing that though.
  • felixomni
    edited August 2008
    I wouldn't say they won't be doing that; remember that they only woke up the engineers a few hours ago. If no one in the office has the ability or authorization to provide the files, then all we can do is sit tight until someone who can do it arrives.

Well of course, that's just my guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ginai
    ginai Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    xii wrote: »
    i've got the exact same issue...i'm guessing yours freezes around elements.data?

anyhow, it seems some lucky few people have theirs up and running. i'm guessing its something to do with their update server. my only guess is to just wait it out...
    Mine also stalls out on the elements.data part of the update process, I downloaded my client from the site directly and the verification during the install checked out fine as well. I suppose I'll just wait a little while and try again hoping its just the servers getting overwhelmed.
  • rzx
    edited August 2008
    felixomni wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they won't be doing that; remember that they only woke up the engineers a few hours ago. If no one in the office has the ability or authorization to provide the files, then all we can do is sit tight until someone who can do it arrives.

Well of course, that's just my guess.

They may or may not. But I think they rather fix the problem for good rather than give us a quick fix. This is a beta afterall.
  • dai
    dai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Well, PW (client version 1) failed to patch past buff_str.txt on my desktop pc, which has Windows XP. It does, however, work 100% with no problems on my laptop, Windows Vista. I patched completely and and was able to log into PW quickly on the laptop with no problems.

So I copied my PW folder from my laptop, to the desktop PC. Now my desktop's PC is updated to game version 3, but I still cannot log-in and connect to the server. The server names do show up, but there is no status info.
  • felixomni
    edited August 2008
    That is true, but I think they had planned to eventually release patches independently anyway. After all, the client has manual update built right in.

Well either way, I've been awake long enough. I hope everything is up and running tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tricktia
    tricktia Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited August 2008

client downloaded from from this mainpage, don't have any corrupted files whole time I installed game when I open it it says Version 1 runing on XP SP3. The only prob I find right now is update itself it stops most time at same file also I reinstall Client again :( only thing I didn't checked is firewalls and my Router yet witch I check when I come back home lol right now I am out and busy xP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firefail9999
    firefail9999 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    im running version 3 however, i can't connect to the game
  • rzx
    edited August 2008
    im running version 3 however, i can't connect to the game

This thread is about patching problems. Please find an appropriate thread for your problem to post in, there's undoubtedly dozens of 'cannot connect' threads.
  • blackthirteen
    blackthirteen Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Windows XP
    Game Client 1

Can't get past elements.data

Know i'm not helping, just posting that i'm having the same problems.
  • disco
    disco Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I got stuck at the same point. I restarted my pc and launched the patcher and it worked. I hope it works for you all guys. Good luck :)
  • ulfrun
    ulfrun Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    to the ones runing Vista, try runing the perfect world client in the windows xp compatablity mode or running as administrator ive hade problems runing the client and that worked for me hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.