Count to 20000

Comments

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013

A lot of professors don't like that if they catch you though.

Just want to go to this, why?

Definitely.
    What's the point in writing 2 whole different papers on similar things if you can just alter one?

This was my train of thought, and I agree with this.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Krisnda wrote: »
    Just want to go to this, why?

This was my train of thought, and I agree with this.

IDFK, all I know is my roommate tried it once and both professors told her she shouldn't use the same paper for both classes and gave her a D. I suppose it would be fine to use a few of the same sources, but each paper should be unique.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • krisnda
    edited May 2013

IDFK, all I know is my roommate tried it once and both professors told her she shouldn't use the same paper for both classes and gave her a D. I suppose it would be fine to use a few of the same sources, but each paper should be unique.

It's kinda crazy. Kind of like they are saying you are plagiarizing yourself in a way.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question for you guys:

You are in a university, you have 2 classes that you have to write papers for, but one of your papers for one of your classes actually has a lot to do with the other class. Is it right to take the paper for the one class, change it up for the other class, and turn both in?

I am not a university professor, but I do teach undergrads and have taught in public school (not that it makes my opinion more important, but I deal with academics is my point). In my opinion, you ought to ask the instructor beforehand if it's alright. I'd probably not accept a re-used paper as the goal is to integrate the knowledge from your current class in the assignment. Though, I do understand time constraints, but still, how difficult is it to write a new paper? I mean, you've got the sources and research experience already.

I like writing, though, so I am biased.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • krisnda
    edited May 2013
    I am not a university professor, but I do teach undergrads and have taught in public school (not that it makes my opinion more important, but I deal with academics is my point). In my opinion, you ought to ask the instructor beforehand if it's alright. I'd probably not accept a re-used paper as the goal is to integrate the knowledge from your current class in the assignment. Though, I do understand time constraints, but still, how difficult is it to write a new paper? I mean, you've got the sources and research experience already.

I like writing, though, so I am biased.

I agree, that does make since, if the professors are working in the same department.

Why not? Also, why would it be considered a "re-used paper"?

Isn't that what school is kinda about, taking knowledge and using it for other classes if it does apply?

No I get it, but it is hard writing a few 10-20 page papers for 3-4 classes.

Not arguing, but another question: would this be (to you) an act of academic dishonesty, which would - in turn, have a possibility of a student receiving loads of negative effects from that action?

(to answer, yes I'm kinda in that situation, but nothing "bad has happened to me, I just have to write another paper, which is fine because I like writing because it gives me a chance to express my thoughts and use sources to reaffirm what I'm thinking, but this entire concept just doesn't make since to me)
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @Decus, not sure how it is in the US or wherever you teach but at my school, the curriculum tries to integrate classes together, in a way so that topics that are similar in 2 different classes are taught at the same time (Like trigonometry and vectors).
    Teachers at my school actually encourage us, in an effort to reduce our workload, to use the other class's stuff to better the other class's work, that includes things like assignments, pretty much what Kris is talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013

Well yeah, in the States they want you to have knowledge of previous classes too. But they don't want you just to hand in the same exact paper, even if you do reconfigure it a bit. Its one thing to use your knowledge gained from another class, another to copy+paste a couple of paragraphs into the same paper and call it a day. Like I said, she got in trouble. I'm assuming since they didn't throw her out, it wasn't considered academic dishonesty. But still, she got a D on both papers. Take it how you will. And Tide, I thought you weren't in university yet? There's probably a more rigorous academic standard at your universities too if you aren't there yet. o.o

edited May 2013
    Didn't take that into account, I'm still in High School, 1 and a half years to go until I hit uni haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want cookies!
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Woke up for college, turns out I have no classes O.o
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree, that does make since, if the professors are working in the same department.

Why not? Also, why would it be considered a "re-used paper"?

Isn't that what school is kinda about, taking knowledge and using it for other classes if it does apply?

No I get it, but it is hard writing a few 10-20 page papers for 3-4 classes.

Not arguing, but another question: would this be (to you) an act of academic dishonesty, which would - in turn, have a possibility of a student receiving loads of negative effects from that action?

(to answer, yes I'm kinda in that situation, but nothing "bad has happened to me, I just have to write another paper, which is fine because I like writing because it gives me a chance to express my thoughts and use sources to reaffirm what I'm thinking, but this entire concept just doesn't make since to me)

It would depend on how much of the original paper is used and in what manner. It's one thing to have similar research questions and use lots of the same sources/data. It's another thing entirely if the paper is pretty much the same as before with different language. How much of the paper is changed? How exactly is it being used?

--

I've got nothing against interdisciplinary projects and cross-over research. I think that's great. I just would rather research be new to the student. It's more room to grow and learn.

--

Academic dishonesty? Probably not, given that I am assuming you are properly citing everything. In my experience, that only comes to play when people rip stuff off and don't cite properly. Do some people see recycling papers as unprofessional and lazy? Sure. (I am not passing judgement, I am just telling you what my colleagues think.)
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
    edited May 2013
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh.....great news Des? o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question for you guys:

You are in a university, you have 2 classes that you have to write papers for, but one of your papers for one of your classes actually has a lot to do with the other class. Is it right to take the paper for the one class, change it up for the other class, and turn both in?

Seeing as the purpose of the classes is to gain something from them each to carry with you in your acedemic and learning experience, and not to shortcut through them or only gain from one instead of two--this is not a child's playground, afterall--I would certainily say not. Even if two papers are very similar, they should never be exactily the same, and writing them both may allow for improvement in both, via eliminating something that was slightily off-topic, gaining an idea from writing the other that you never would have thought of to integrate, etcetc.

Actually, that question kind of reminds me of when I had my essay for english this past semester, and it was (very basically) to take a controversial subject within the state and write about it. A year ago, I had written a paper on affirmative action-- it had been for my final then, was properily cited(with MLA), graded by persons who were also college professors and it scored a 98%, and all this stuuuuff. I recognized it as something that also would have been perfect for this essay subject, and I very easily could have just changed the citation from MLA to APA and turnt it in, seeing as it wasn't even at the same school. However, that wasn't the point of having this new essay to write in my new class--it was to gain writing experience, get professor feedback, learn more about a subject I was interested in enough to write about(since I could chose the subject, afterall), and, well, there were only three essays total in this poor class-- so I wrote an entireily new paper and found a completely different subject to write about. (Granted, one that was much, much shorter, because our professor didn't want to read many pages, ahaha. So I'm still happier with my first essay than my second essay quality wise, but I still got something out of writing both of them.)
    I actually told my professor about my affirmative action essay, and that I wasn't going to use it(which she was proud of, d'awww. I never thought that was cute until I typed this parenthetical weeks later.), so asked if she would like to read it. Unfortunantily, I was/still am out of printer ink, and didn't think to use the school printers for it because I was stupid, and she never did get to read it, which I [still] feel bad about.

I had a few papers where the essay itself was a two-class project--as in, the professors themselves organized it to be for both classes--and obviousily in this case it is fine [for obvious reasons].

Oh! Krissy, by the by, my assumption was that you were asking this for research/informative purposes again and not a personal morale question [and therefore I was very straightforward as apposed to.... well, still straightforward I guess.]; was that assumption correct?

@Turfy: I would be all "3:< Stop mentioning HS experience for the sake of a uni question", but I am ever so disappointed at the lack of increased difficulty level from HS to a college; in fact, the difficulty seems lower, really. Granted, the professor activity and persistence in a student's life is different [from "nagging about turning in something" to "you can turn this in because it can help your grade, but I don't really care"], and *etcetc*

@Circe: *shoves a cookie in your general direction* How on earth was that possibly contributing to the conversation at paw 3:<

@Desdi: Mewl? Are you entireily done now [and simpily woke out of habit] or were they canceled?

"Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited May 2013

Not sure what happened xD but classes should start tomorrow again.
  • FieryBlade - Harshlands
    FieryBlade - Harshlands Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    6256 any1 wanna buy me double A batteries? QQ
    [SIGPIC]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x102q90/690/fierybladesigna.png[/SIGPIC]

Sig made by me f:sneakyf:despise

I don't have a bad attitude, I just have a personality you don't like
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited May 2013

SweetieBot, analyze this thread!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SweetieBot, analyze this thread!
    SweetieBot has finished reading the thread: Count to 10000!

General Stats:
    First Post: 09-04-2012
    Last Post: 05-13-2013
    Thread Lifetime: 251 days
    Total Posts: 6257
    Average Posts Per Day: 24.9

Activity:
    chart?chf=bg,s,1E1713&chxs=0,EFEFEF,12,0,lt,EFEFEF&chbh=a&chs=440x110&cht=bvg&chco=76A4FB&chts=EFEFEF,13,l&chds=a&chd=t:21,5,9,3,3,17,33,16,5,18,8,11,16,11,8,3,9,4,26,7,31,16,18,16,22,32,29,75,67,31,72,53,46,16,17,15,29,95,138,52,74,55,36,18,33,17,22,52,43,54,25,44,141,77,115,91,57,27,15,85,93,98,47,90,61,60,50,30,76,201,115,81,55,59,222,188,170,63,124,114,57,53,71,136,111,402,176,96,116,23,178,175,42,151,72,48,67,32,69,1

Top 20 Frequent Posters (count):
    Veneir - Dreamweaver (998)
    OPKossy (686)
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver (534)
    oVenusArmanio (432)
    Zheii - Archosaur (405)
    Krisnda (394)
    Desdi - Sanctuary (339)
    Shizunne - Heavens Tear (299)
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands (224)
    truekossy (219)
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver (167)
    FieryBlade - Harshlands (134)
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary (134)
    Zanryu - Lothranis (128)
    Shardik - Lost City (110)
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary (97)
    SweetieBot - Lothranis (86)
    Colum - Raging Tide (74)
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver (72)
    Sister_Warui - Raging Tide (66)

Writing Stats:
    Total Words: 140347
    Total Sentences: 24676
    Average Words per Post: 22.4
    Average Words per Sentence: 5.7
    Average Sentences per Post: 3.9
    Average Syllables per Word: 1.4
    Average Letters per Word: 4.5

Most Used Words (count): (common words excluded)
    kfyBSD2.png
    post (432)
    oreo (428)
    kossy (408)
    count (291)
    thread (282)
    something (281)
    sweetiebot (265)
    again (244)
    back (241)
    00100000 (239)

Most Used 3-Word Phrases (count):
    "oreo oreo oreo (400)"
    "ever and ever (81)"
    "and ever and (80)"
    Most Used 4-Word Phrases (count):
    "oreo oreo oreo oreo (389)"
    "and ever and ever (74)"
    "ever and ever and (73)"
    Most Used 5-Word Phrases (count):
    "oreo oreo oreo oreo oreo (382)"
    "ever and ever and ever (69)"
    "and ever and ever and (68)"

This took me 62.0 s to finish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• FieryBlade - Harshlands
    FieryBlade - Harshlands Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Veneir just 2 more posts and you'll reach our original goal xD
    [SIGPIC]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x102q90/690/fierybladesigna.png[/SIGPIC]

Sig made by me f:sneakyf:despise

I don't have a bad attitude, I just have a personality you don't like
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013

v.v those results.

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013

Veneir just 2 more posts and you'll reach our original goal xD

Oh dear lordy.
    That makes it sound even... I don't know if I should put 'worse' or... some positive word. However terrible that is, that's kinda neat, though.
    I even went on a hiatus and still no one really caught up D: What's it going to takkkke? ....yeah I guess a week hiatus or something isn't really that long.
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013

Heh, know the feeling. Sometimes I look at my post count like ._.

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013

Heh, know the feeling. Sometimes I look at my post count like ._.

6263 Even now with modsy-ness, huh >:
    The '._.' smilie makes me think very equally of both when someone thinks they have too many posts, and Kossy's situation where she 'lost' her old postcount and was all "aoksngdsgn 3:" about it for a while 'x3
    edited May 2013
    Nothing to say, just bored.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited May 2013

Last day of freedom, need to start srs work for finals D:
    edited May 2013
    Woo For No Finals
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    BROnies. b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013

Why must my old post count be brought up? *cries in shame*
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    OPKossy wrote: »

Why must my old post count be brought up? *cries in shame*

It will never be lived down, will it. 'x3 *nuzzles the shamecrying Kossy* It's okay.~
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited May 2013

o.o