Cleric Training: A guide for clerics from a clerics perspective.

Options

Comments

• PupsLove - Archosaur
    PupsLove - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I just wanted to say that this Thread helped me out so much. I'm an 88 cleric who still hasn't gotten the hang of things. This is my first toon and no one ever tried to help. I expect to excel now, Thank You again.
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I just wanted to say that this Thread helped me out so much. I'm an 88 cleric who still hasn't gotten the hang of things. This is my first toon and no one ever tried to help. I expect to excel now, Thank You again.

You're Welcome. Some things are a bit obsolete in the BH100 parts, and some endgame gear...though I added a part at the end to touch on that a little. I'm glad that it helped though. Good luck while continuing your cleric. I'm sure that you will excel at it. b:laugh
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • tbjmom
    tbjmom Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    i just want to say thank you. i've learned alot by reading this and has helped me to play my toon. and i refer other clerics here also. thank you again.
  • Blacknes - Heavens Tear
    Blacknes - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    wow nice
  • Aroral - Sanctuary
    Aroral - Sanctuary Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options

Looked good.

Only two small tidbits of advice. IH and WoP at the start of the pull is redundant. I <3 clerics that stack IH before a pull because that means I'm full health and can save pots for the end of the pull, but if you WoP also it absorbs the damage that IH would have healed anyways. Save WoP for the end when the IH has worn off and where the barb has the sometimes scary channeling time of invoke where he has his full pull hitting him and no damage reduction yet. This will give you time to safely put up bb, too.

The other thing is probably just a preference and is really minor, but on the first Lunar pull you setup bb right near the barb even though walking mobs had just come in from the right. If you had setup bb to the left of the barb the heal aggro would have pulled the mobs towards you and into the squads waiting aoe arms, making for a nice zhen. This is similar to what seekers do in delta where they setup vortex in front of bb. Any mobs they aren't hitting then aggro the cleric behind them and start running towards the cleric and move into vortex range.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    whaaaat clerics still know how to stack before pulls and give sage vanguard?

I suggest throwing sage magic shell on yourself before BBing though
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Bagoly_ - Sanctuary
    Bagoly_ - Sanctuary Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    whaaaat clerics still know how to stack before pulls and give sage vanguard?

I suggest throwing sage magic shell on yourself before BBing though

The bonus of sage magic shell reduces BB channeling time by 1 second. Magic shell itself takes 1,5 s to use...
  • babigirl13
    babigirl13 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I am a new player, I chose to be a cleric! :) I am just wondering if anyone has any advice to give?

Thanks
    bbgurl :)
  • Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    Aeliah - Dreamweaver Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    babigirl13 wrote: »
    I am a new player, I chose to be a cleric! :) I am just wondering if anyone has any advice to give?

Thanks
    bbgurl :)

Lo.

1) read the guides

2) ask people who the good clerics on your server are, and make friendships with them (be polite, and don't ask *too* many questions, or they'll feel harassed)

3) watch some youtube videos of clerics in action on PWI

4) practice killing as many different types of mobs as you can, and try as many different types of instances as you can; when doing a new instance for the first time, try to get another cleric to go with you, so you can observe what they are doing (and if they do something you don't understand, ask them, so you too can learn)

5) Read through the thread 'Clerics. What pisses you off or....' to know some of the things to watch out for when healing in a group.

6) Be awesome.

Cheers.
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
    youtube.com/user/csquaredcsquared

CLERIC PV GUIDE (complete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1531411

CLERIC PK GUIDE (Incomplete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18027931
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Note: I'm planning to edit some things in this guide to make it more up to date. Between playing PWI some, having to work, having college courses, and having a life away from the computer, I haven't had much time to update it. But my intentions are (And I'm not sure exactly when I will add this update...):

Update info on full warsong.
    Update info on SoT.
    Update info on Abaddon.
    Update info on Lunar.
    Update info on some additional apoth that are good to have.
    Update info on endgame armor.
    Update info on shards
    Add a section to at least mention refining.

Add a heavy armor build section, and advice on it. (I neglected to mention a HA build in this guide before because I knew nothing about it, and at the time, the only HA cleric that I had heard on my server was Smash, whom I don't know perfectly. However, I am planning to build a HA cleric myself, and I've received advise from a few other HA clerics that I've met since then, so I am planning to add a section for HA clerics, as they have been unfairly left out in this guide.)

Update Morai skills. (I'm going to need all of your advise on this. I'm not normally in Morai, and have admittingly neglected acquiring all of those skills that are not luminance related, as I do have a disdain for violet/ultraviolet mode...though I am working on getting these skills and mastering them nonetheless.)

Update AEU: I have not run this instance, but I do intend to.

(If I find out a way to record and post my cleric instances, I will. I'll also try to find out ways to post screenshots of her using certain skills.)

Adding a section regarding dealing with lag/dc. (Basically at least letting your squad know that you're having issues. Something obvious, but still worth saying, due to the cleric's importance in a squad.)

Updating sharding for HA and LA.

Updating stat requirements for a pataka. (56 str.), as well as stat requirements for HA build.

Updating information on Nation Wars as a cleric. (Though I have namely a solo experience, I have run with squads too.)

May add other variable information as it comes to me.

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011&quot;

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Update Morai skills. (I'm going to need all of your advise on this. I'm not normally in Morai, and have admittingly neglected acquiring all of those skills that are not luminance related, as I do have a disdain for violet/ultraviolet mode...though I am working on getting these skills and mastering them nonetheless.)

Pious Blessing - Works like a short Deaden Nerves/Cornered Beast.

Absorbing Array/Aurora Array - Absorbs healing from charms/pots/healing skills. Can be stacked.

Mark of Weakness - Applies a crit debuff on the target causing it to be more likely to take crits. Counts as a DoT and will do full damage through Bless status effect (Invoke/SoG/etc.) as well as not wake people up from sleep if used.

Magical Shackle - Cleric soulburn, basically.

I could also potentially do some PVE videos again...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Hello All. I've been slow with it, but I've finally updated the guide.

Things I've added.

Heavy Armor Section
    Stat Requirements for HA and LA G16 armor pieces, and Stat requirements for G16 magic weapons.
    Updated Warsong
    Slight Update to Abaddon and SOT
    Slight Update to Delta
    Update to Lunar
    Update to Include Morai and AEU Skills
    Update to Include Primal Skills
    Update to Include Passive Primals
    Update to Include G16 gear
    Update to Include Morai gear
    Update to Include which Warsong Bosses which molds.
    Update to Include Pavilion as an Arcane Cleric, and as a Heavy Armor Cleric.
    Update to Include a link for an Apoth map. Also useful for other things aside from apoth. Including wines.
    Fixed a few spelling and grammatical errors.
    FSP as a cleric has now been included in this guide.
    A link to EU (Endless Universe has been included this guide.) All credit to her guide goes to her.)
    Included that HA refines for more hp than LA, and more than AA, since it is a fact.

What I will soon include:

UCH (I haven't been there yet.)
    AEU dungeons
    MIGHT write about sage skills, and have someone discuss demon skills. Not to compare and contrast which is better, but to show their usability, and how they use the sage/demon skills to better complete our task...be they pve or pvp.
    Might include the primal dailies locations for those that do not know.

Check for additional grammatical errors.
    Post screenshots of my cleric using certain skills, if I can

edited May 2014
    Options
    UPDATE:
    I've now added a section detailing Flowsilver Palace.
    I've linked a guide to Endless Universe, that I assume no credit for.
    Edited the section on the Toad boss in Flowsilver Palace some.

edited June 2014
    Options
    UPDATE: Enhanced the guide to include how to tank Toad in FSP as a cleric. That part is included in the FSP dungeon part with toad boss.

• kirasin
    kirasin Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I just wanted to point something out about Morai weapons used by Clerics.

Yes, while in squad as a healer, a Cleric should never use a Morai weapon due to the lack of Mag Attack it gives, which is what a clerics heals are based off of. In other words the heals while using a Morai weapon would be extremely poor. People WILL get mad if you do not have an alternate decent weapon when trying to heal them.

My point, though, is that it is PERFECTLY FINE for a cleric to use a Morai weapon in PVE when they are in a squad as a DD only or while doing quests solo. I wish people in the game would stopped being narrow minded and stopped PM'ing Clerics to try to convince them to not use Morai weapons at all, ever. b:surrender The Morai weapons deal a GREAT amount of damage in PVE due to the high Slaying Lvl. From my own personal testing, the lvl95 Morai sword deals SEVERAL THOUSAND more damage then my TT99 Godspeed Glaive. For a Cleric that is huge, since having low defense, a Cleric should kill mobs ASAP before they get to them and get a chance to do much damage. I would encourage Clerics to do their own test to see just how powerful the Morai weapon actually is before they NPC it and how useful it can be to Clerics to kill that mob running at you before it even gets a chance to hit you b:dirty
    edited June 2014
    Options
    kirasin wrote: »
    I just wanted to point something out about Morai weapons used by Clerics.

Yes, while in squad as a healer, a Cleric should never use a Morai weapon due to the lack of Mag Attack it gives, which is what a clerics heals are based off of. In other words the heals while using a Morai weapon would be extremely poor. People WILL get mad if you do not have an alternate decent weapon when trying to heal them.

My point, though, is that it is PERFECTLY FINE for a cleric to use a Morai weapon in PVE when they are in a squad as a DD only or while doing quests solo. I wish people stopped being narrow minded and stopped trying to convince Clerics (or at least come across that way) to not use Morai weapons at all, ever. b:surrender The Morai weapons deal a GREAT amount of damage in PVE due to the high Slaying Lvl. From my own personal testing, the lvl95 Morai sword deals SEVERAL THOUSAND more damage then my TT99 Godspeed Glaive. For a Cleric that is huge, since having low defense, a Cleric should kill mobs ASAP before they get to them and get a chance to do much damage. I would encourage Clerics to do their own test to see just how powerful the Morai weapon actually is before they NPC it and how useful it can be to Clerics to kill that mob running at you before it even gets a chance to hit you b:dirty

I'm going to add part of the information that you posted about the morai weapons, as you do have a valid point. I point out though that my purpose of writing the guide and updating it was not to try to convince clerics to not use morai weapons at all ever. Typically in the game, clerics at that level will be doing a lot more squadding and not as much questing. (Due to the horribly low xp that quests at that level award, exempting morai quests. Most players at that level are likely in FC, and bh's, trying hard to reach that goal of 100, as well as running TT or Lunar as they try to farm their TT gold mats. This being said, you DO HAVE A VALID POINT on pve quests, DD'ing, and solo attacking, so I will update the guide to include having an alternate weapon to use during squads.

Please understand that there is A TON of writing that I put forth the effort to do with this guide, and I've given multiple paths, and builds...both conventional and unconventional, so if it seemed that my purpose was to narrow my vision and state that clerics shouldn't touch a morai weapon with a 50 ft. pole, that wasn't it. I thinking about its disadvantage in squadplay, and moving on to the next section. However, I will amend that to include the point that you brought up. That said, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't address my intentions as being narrow minded.

• kirasin
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't address my intentions as being narrow minded.

Oh I am so sorry! I in no way meant YOU specifically. I'm sorry if it came accross that way. I'm glad you pointed it out to me, ty, I wouldn't want others to come to that conclusion either. I was just going off of my own experience of things players told my Cleric, now 101rb, back when she was using a Morai sword to quest.

YOU ARE DOING A WONDERFUL JOB WITH THIS GUID! And you keep improving upon it which is why I wanted to bring up the point thinking you may add a side note about it :)

Thank you for taking the time to do all this work which benefits anyone who reads it, not just clerics. And again, I truely apologize if I had upset you, that comment was not at all ment at you.

(I edited my previous text a bit, hope it's more clear that way)
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Oh I am so sorry! I in no way meant YOU specifically. I'm sorry if it came accross that way. I'm glad you pointed it out to me, ty, I wouldn't want others to come to that conclusion either. I was just going off of my own experience of things players told my Cleric, now 101 rb, back when she was using a Morai sword to quest.

YOU ARE DOING A WONDERFUL JOB WITH THIS GUIDE! And you keep improving upon it which is why I wanted to bring up the point thinking you may add a side note about it :)

Thank you for taking the time to do all this work which benefits anyone who reads it, not just clerics. And again, I truly apologize if I had upset you, that comment was not at all meant at you.

(I edited my previous text a bit, hope it's more clear that way)

Thank you for clarifying that, and thank you also for the advice that you're given regarding the morai weapons. I have updated that part, and credited you in your advice. I appreciate any advice that you or anyone else has to offer, for we all have unique experiences playing the cleric class, and as such, we all have many things that we can bring to the table, and offer. :D b:victory

Feel free to add any more information or advice that you feel would help others. I can't guarantee that it'll be added, but I try to update a bit as I can...and as I feel the motivation to do so. Lol. b:thanks

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Options
    One of the oldest, most active, and most well-kept guides on these forums.

If the rating system was universal I'd have given this 5 stars long ago. Kudos to you, sir.

*scurries off now that my two cents have been deposited*
    (Insert fancy image here)
    edited June 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    One of the oldest, most active, and most well-kept guides on these forums.

If the rating system was universal I'd have given this 5 stars long ago. Kudos to you, sir.

*scurries off now that my two cents have been deposited*

Thank you for your kind words Kossy. I deeply appreciate it. b:thanks

UPDATED THE GUIDE AGAIN:

-Included a link to show the debuffs and debuffs present in this game. A few icons are missing, like the deadly debuff from toad and the ice prison from Azoth Drake, but it still shows most of the icons present.

-Updated the Warsong Section to include some of the changes and alterations that were made to some of the bosses.

-Fixed a few more grammatical errors.
    -Updated Pious Blessing, Thunderball, and Seal of God.
    -Fixed the Wording from Primal Wellspring to Soothing Pulse, and updated it slightly.
    -Included that you lose the 4 original squad buffs once you get Pathegon's Blessing.
    -Updated that you need the sage/demon skills of both wellspring and blessing of the purehearted to gain access to the primal skill, soothing pulse
    -Changed a few color schemes to make them more noticeable, and not look like the giant essay that this guide is. b:laughb:chuckle
    -Altered the locations of some links to make them more noticeable.
    -Updated a few things on FSP.
    -Made a slight update advising joining Luminesce as a first choice for Morai skills as a cleric if you didn't purchase violet dance from a catshop.

I will update the primal skills more as I get them. I've mainly focused on the passives.
    I will update UCH when I run it more often. I've been there, but not enough times to write thoroughly on it.

• kirasin
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying that, and thank you also for the advice that you're given regarding the morai weapons. I have updated that part, and credited you in your advice. I appreciate any advice that you or anyone else has to offer, for we all have unique experiences playing the cleric class, and as such, we all have many things that we can bring to the table, and offer. :D b:victory

Feel free to add any more information or advice that you feel would help others. I can't guarantee that it'll be added, but I try to update a bit as I can...and as I feel the motivation to do so. Lol. b:thanks

Thank you for adding my info. b:victory

As for Primal skills, I agree with you. I also 1st focused on the passive skills for my Cleric (with the exception of getting Primal BB for which you receive the items needed to learn it after rebirthing and entering Primal World.) I'm only rb1 right now so I maxed Passive Def then Attack and recently, after doing some reaserch, I did learn the Blessing as well. For rb1 I am maxed on Primal skills with the exception of Passive Crit Rate%. Now I'm collecting my Primordial Blood so I have it for when I rb2 so I can maxout my Passives and get the other skills, especially the Primal Cyclone :)

Demon in Book is something that may be worth mentioning in the guide (though it does apply to all classes). I'm still learning about it but from what I've seen ...if you rb before being lvl105 (I was lvl100), leveling the Demon in Book allowes you to gain the EXTRA Attribute Points that you missed out on by rb'ing before you hit lvl 105. That is why I want to lvl Demon in Book to max BEFORE I rb2, so I gain back all available Atribute Points. I'm not sure if you could gain back the lost Points from before rb1 if you rb2 without lvl'ing the Book in between rb's. You may loose out permenantely on the chance of being able to gain every available Attribute Point for your character. I haven't found info on clarifying this for me so I'm taking the safe rout for now just to be sure because, personally, I DO want ALL of the Atribute Points that I can get b:pleased

I can confirm that I received 7 Attribute Points by lvl'ing Demon in Book one lvl. To lvl Book you click on "Summon" and your character's exp gained as of then goes to lvl the Book instead until it is turned off by clicking "Sleeping". My Book was originally lvl 100 (which is the lvl I rb'd at) I fed it my exp till it lvl'd one lvl, to lvl 101. At this point, once the Book has enough exp for an additional lvl, you click on the "Start Editing" button and it updates the Book to the new lvl, in my case lvl 101. At this time your character also receives the extra Attribute Points, 7 for this lvl. I have been told (this is not confirmed though) that the quantity of Attribute Points given increases with each lvl the Book gains. So my next Book lvl should give me over 7 Attribute Points.

If you have any knowlege of the Demon in Book SerenityCNB, I think it would be helpfull info to also add :)

Additional Note:
    If a cleric does not have Ancestors Blessing (no loss of exp upon death skill from Lumi Order) or if you're playing another class, putting ur exp into Demon in Book instead allowes you to have no exp loss upon death. b:laugh
    Also, something to keep in mind is that you can only activate/"Summon" the Demon in Book if you are currently lvl 100+. It will not activate if you are lvl 80 rb1 for instance, even though you have been lvl 100. Your current lvl must be lvl 100+.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thank you for adding my info. b:victory

As for Primal skills, I agree with you. I also 1st focused on the passive skills for my Cleric (with the exception of getting Primal BB for which you receive the items needed to learn it after rebirthing and entering Primal World.) I'm only rb1 right now so I maxed Passive Def then Attack and recently, after doing some reaserch, I did learn the Blessing as well. For rb1 I am maxed on Primal skills with the exception of Passive Crit Rate%. Now I'm collecting my Primordial Blood so I have it for when I rb2 so I can maxout my Passives and get the other skills, especially the Primal Cyclone :)

Demon in Book is something that may be worth mentioning in the guide (though it does apply to all classes). I'm still learning about it but from what I've seen ...if you rb before being lvl105 (I was lvl100), leveling the Demon in Book allowes you to gain the EXTRA Attribute Points that you missed out on by rb'ing before you hit lvl 105. That is why I want to lvl Demon in Book to max BEFORE I rb2, so I gain back all available Atribute Points. I'm not sure if you could gain back the lost Points from before rb1 if you rb2 without lvl'ing the Book in between rb's. You may loose out permenantely on the chance of being able to gain every available Attribute Point for your character. I haven't found info on clarifying this for me so I'm taking the safe rout for now just to be sure because, personally, I DO want ALL of the Atribute Points that I can get b:pleased

I can confirm that I received 7 Attribute Points by lvl'ing Demon in Book one lvl. To lvl Book you click on "Summon" and your character's exp gained as of then goes to lvl the Book instead until it is turned off by clicking "Sleeping". My Book was originally lvl 100 (which is the lvl I rb'd at) I fed it my exp till it lvl'd one lvl, to lvl 101. At this point, once the Book has enough exp for an additional lvl, you click on the "Start Editing" button and it updates the Book to the new lvl, in my case lvl 101. At this time your character also receives the extra Attribute Points, 7 for this lvl. I have been told (this is not confirmed though) that the quantity of Attribute Points given increases with each lvl the Book gains. So my next Book lvl should give me over 7 Attribute Points.

If you have any knowlege of the Demon in Book SerenityCNB, I think it would be helpfull info to also add :)

Additional Note:
    If a cleric does not have Ancestors Blessing (no loss of exp upon death skill from Lumi Order) or if you're playing another class, putting ur exp into Demon in Book instead allowes you to have no exp loss upon death. b:laugh
    Also, something to keep in mind is that you can only activate/"Summon" the Demon in Book if you are currently lvl 100+. It will not activate if you are lvl 80 rb1 for instance, even though you have been lvl 100. Your current lvl must be lvl 100+.

Thank you for your input Kirasin.

The reason that I don't include that information is because it's more focused on all classes, and several people have made guides on it already.

I believe that this guide, written by Eoria might provide you with the information that you are seeking. She also has several other good guides as well linked there, so I didn't really see any point of adding that information here.

This is the guide for reincarnation written by her, and is one of many. CLICK ME!!

Similar to you, I also have the new BB. (First skill I got, even before I got the passives.)

I may include your information about the summoning the book demon to avoid no xp loss without ancestor's blessings, but will also remind players that if they don't have the book summoned, they will take the full brunt of no xp loss...something to keep in mind if they're trying to level their present character.

• Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    A note about the primal mass-buff (Pantheon Blessing):
    While the skill cannot be recast very fast (30 second cooldown) and generates less chi then the 4 mass buffs combined, I have found that it is very handy to have in bossfights with mass purge. Vile Primal Fear for instance will total intervention/purge repeatedly. It allows you to blast off Pantheon (gain 50 chi in the process), use a 150 chi pot (or cloud eruption), and re-raise BB right afterward with your party rebuffed fully. Can be a lifesaver on squishier parties.

Primal BB isn't that much more powerful then the original one. Same range, same damage reduction, same mana use... a little more health regaining if I read the description right. It's true strength is the visual - it clearly shows when players are in it or not, making it more party friendly.

Pantheon Blessing can be used in a combat situation. The other massbuffs take way too long to cast to be used in a fight if your heals are also needed. I would highly recommend this primal skill to any cleric who favors the support role.

[Edit] Also, there's an error in your guide. Wands do not have the lowest base damage of all magic weapons, they in fact have the highest. Average damage is also virtually equal among all these weapons. Comparison of G16 mag weapons, unrefined:
    Wand: 1448-1476 avg 1462
    Magicsword: 1316-1608 avg 1462
    Pataka: 1023-1900 avg 1461.5
    Glaive: 1169-1753 avg 1461

They all refine at exactly the same increments and that damage is additive. Average damage is equal, base damage is highest on the wand. I'd argue that since heals are based off of base damage, the wand is actually the best cleric weapon (for support), followed by the magicsword. For offensive PvP duties, the Pataka is probably the best choice due to the very high spike damage, but your heals will be 40% less effective then when using a wand.
    Optional: Use a G15 wand for healing, swap to pataka for offensive duties.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Fryvorg - Sanctuary
    Fryvorg - Sanctuary Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    They all refine at exactly the same increments and that damage is additive. Average damage is equal, base damage is highest on the wand. I'd argue that since heals are based off of base damage, the wand is actually the best cleric weapon (for support), followed by the magicsword. For offensive PvP duties, the Pataka is probably the best choice due to the very high spike damage, but your heals will be 40% less effective then when using a wand.
    I don't know where that misconception comes from, but you are not the only one who thinks that base = lowest possible damage. Actually, base damage means your normal magic damage depicted in your character screen. Just like any offensive skill stating base magic attack as one of the defining factors for the final damage output, heals can be varied in their effectiveness as well. Wands may be recommended as healing weapons because they are more reliable, but not because they'd have the strongest heals.
    World is full of illusions.

What if I played a Cleric?

All Joy In Keeping Us Medically Energetic.
  • kirasin
    edited June 2014
    Options

The reason that I don't include that information is because it's more focused on all classes, and several people have made guides on it already.

I believe that this guide, written by Eoria might provide you with the information that you are seeking. She also has several other good guides as well linked there, so I didn't really see any point of adding that information here.

This is the guide for reincarnation written by her, and is one of many. CLICK ME!!

Oh ok. Thank you so much for the link, will definately check it out :)
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Options
    [Edit] Also, there's an error in your guide. Wands do not have the lowest base damage of all magic weapons, they in fact have the highest. Average damage is also virtually equal among all these weapons. Comparison of G16 mag weapons, unrefined:

It has the lowest max and highest minimum. When you open your character menu to see your base damage, this also shows up as the lowest you'll have. Hence, lowest damage but most consistent. Great for when you need steady heals. Not as much for when you want spike damage.
    (Insert fancy image here)
    edited June 2014
    Options
    A note about the primal mass-buff (Pantheon Blessing):
    While the skill cannot be recast very fast (30 second cooldown) and generates less chi then the 4 mass buffs combined, I have found that it is very handy to have in bossfights with mass purge. Vile Primal Fear for instance will total intervention/purge repeatedly. It allows you to blast off Pantheon (gain 50 chi in the process), use a 150 chi pot (or cloud eruption), and re-raise BB right afterward with your party rebuffed fully. Can be a lifesaver on squishier parties.

Primal BB isn't that much more powerful then the original one. Same range, same damage reduction, same mana use... a little more health regaining if I read the description right. It's true strength is the visual - it clearly shows when players are in it or not, making it more party friendly.

Pantheon Blessing can be used in a combat situation. The other massbuffs take way too long to cast to be used in a fight if your heals are also needed. I would highly recommend this primal skill to any cleric who favors the support role.

I'll add in the information that you've given about the skill Pantheon Blessing, as it does have its applications. I will debate however, that although it does has its applicable uses, there are still some instances where the old 4 buffs are better. Specifically on bosses that spam purge a bit more frequently. It also loses applicable usage if anyone happens to be out of range in that moment. I'm not saying that its not a bad skill, I'm saying that both it, and the 4 original buffs are circumstantial at times when debating which is the best to use.

Primal BB isn't much more powerful than the original, true. However, the upgrade to primal BB is too cheap and too good to justify passing up on. Like you said, the main draw is the visibility of its range, which helps all squadmates, and the cleric themselves. It's virtually a Freebie, and considering that BB is used with some degree of frequency, its well worth the investment of it. The additional healing power may not be exceptional, but its more than 1.5 times the healing power of the original. That adds up over time, and can be all of the difference.

Regarding wands being the strongest weapons, OPKossy said it best...

For my long version....

Wands are known for the lowest max, and the highest min. They are a weapon of consistency, and as such, that's the reason why many people recommend them for cleric's that prefer a pure support, or mostly pure support. The wand is still capable of great damage. However, a wand lacks spike damage, and it's that spike damage that makes more of a difference in attacking, than consistency does.

Magic Swords (Which are my personal preference), have a high enough spike to be capable of some decent burst damage. They also have relatively good consistency, and should I hit for minimal damage, my attack's still do pack a punch.

Glaives are my second favorite weapon. They can hit for powerful spike damage, but they do lack the consistency of their predecessor's. Their minimal damage is noticeably weaker, however their spike damage is enough to make up for it, and their consistency isn't so wild that you can't reasonably expect a decent hit in the next attack or two.

Patakas are my least favorite option, and I personally wouldn't recommend it in Pvp. A 900 pt damage difference is not reliable at all, be it for heals or damage. It is for this reason that the class that is most often seen with this weapon is the venomancer. They have the lowest base damage for magic attacks, but should they spike, their damage will be fearsome. With the venomancer, it isn't the attack itself that kills you necessarily. It's everything that the attack comes with that usually weakens you and kills you...not to mention the pets, and any debilitating attacks that they may use. Combine this with a spike from a pataka, and they can take you down good.

For a cleric, its not recommended, as one of our greatest defenses is our healing power. This is what a cleric does best, and the sad truth is that we only really have 2 spike damage attacks. Wield Thunder and Tempest. The last thing you want is for wield thunder to spike minimum while cyclone spikes maximum...especially in pvp. True, this happens with every weapon type, but with the pataka, its enough to make a difference. The argument is that clerics can weaken their opponent as well, but venos are able to do this with a simultaneous attack, a stronger debuff, an amp, as well as use a consistent purge...so when their spike hits, it hurts tremendously.

Again, I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you there. How a weapon/armor operates on paper is different from how it may operate in practice. No matter how it goes, given same situation, same debuff, same crit, a wand spiking at max is not going to hit nearly as hard as a glaive spiking at max.

Simultaneously, a wand spiking at minimum isn't going to be as worrisome as a glaive spiking at minimum, so while the wand makes up for it in consistency, its simply not capable of the same damage output as the other two weapons, due to spikes they have. (Assuming all are equally refined, sharded, same crit, max spike, same situation...That's just not where the wand shines at.) It's greatest draw is its consistency, not its damage capabilities.

Though we do differ in opinion on a few subjects, I do appreciate your input nonetheless. Feel free to comment if you have anything else that you want to add/point out. I know that I've said this numerous times throughout these 21 pages, but I don't promise that everything will be included. I do promise that I will do my best to consider all possible aspects and add it if I feel the need. :)

Thank you once more for your input.
    b:thanks

edited June 2014
    Options
    Oh ok. Thank you so much for the link, will definately check it out :)

You're Welcome. Feel free to do so. She, and all others that made guides on it did a wonderful job. :D b:victoryb:pleased

• Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    To each their own. I prefer a wand on my cleric because I enjoy consistency. PvE wise the spike damage loss isn't that big of a problem, and I simply don't do PvP. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Personal preferences and all that :)

As for Pantheons Blessing... if you get a boss that mass purges more often then every 30 seconds, and want to run the full rebuff cycle each time, you'll be busy casting mass buffs for over half the time of the bossfight. That tends to leave no time for what a cleric should be doing - healing. Being without heals for 15 seconds after a mass purge in a bossfight tends to be a problem, especially for GoF APS sins...

It isn't the cooldown that makes me prefer Pantheons Blessing as a combat massbuff - it's the fact that it doesn't require a lot of time to cast it, so it does not take a lot of time away from heals (/puri/revive).
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.