Change the rules for INI edits

Comments

• Skull_Howl - Lost City
    Skull_Howl - Lost City Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Nice wall of text man. It hurt my eyes to read it. b:chuckle
    But yeah, what you said is basically what everyone coming in here is saying. As long as the edits are merely hair, eyes, and skin color...it shouldnt be a problem.

I think they are just scared that if they allowed it, then it means they would actually have to monitor the game otherwise people would start doing the "too skinny" characters or the ones extremely messed up proportionally (giant ****, tiny head, tiny waist and huge ***) and there would be a lot of complaints about how they mess up pvp, they are ugly, etc.

I'm all for changing hairstyles or update the old existing ones. Pwi just wont do it.

Lol. I'm glad you liked my text wall. ;P Overall, I see the argument against rational .ini editing is very impudent. I can understand the extreme ones. Personally I've seen enough of those on private servers so it's gotten both old and slightly annoying. My main thing is: Where is the optimism? GMs don't really interact with us anyway so monitoring really shouldn't be a problem. Turn on the Customizations option in the Settings and just stand somewhere, watching players that run by. Hell, I could do that myself. O_o But I couldn't care less how other people are editing their characters in reasonable ways. Would be pretty interesting to see other people's ideas and talents, as well. xD
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Lol. I'm glad you liked my text wall. ;P Overall, I see the argument against rational .ini editing is very impudent. I can understand the extreme ones. Personally I've seen enough of those on private servers so it's gotten both old and slightly annoying. My main thing is: Where is the optimism? GMs don't really interact with us anyway so monitoring really shouldn't be a problem. Turn on the Customizations option in the Settings and just stand somewhere, watching players that run by. Hell, I could do that myself. O_o But I couldn't care less how other people are editing their characters in reasonable ways. Would be pretty interesting to see other people's ideas and talents, as well. xD

Yeah, if it really bugs people they can just turn off customizations. I used to run around with customizations off all the time cause my internet was so bad it would lag. I'm at college now though so the internet is good in the dorms. I can see people's customizations now =D
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited October 2011
    That says a lot. I wonder how much of the PWE community knows about such a thing.

...Probably just about everyone.b:chuckle

However, it is in PWE's ToS that editing files in any way is illegal.

Section 9 part d - "...you agree not to engage in... (d) modifying, adapting, altering, enhancing, or otherwise making any derivative uses of any Games, game content or other Proprietary Materials, or any portion thereof"

This is something that every player had to agree to when they first created their account. To change this rule would be to change their ToS, which would mean that every single player would again have to "sign" the ToS. PWE apparently doesn't want to have to deal with the hassle involved.
  • Skull_Howl - Lost City
    Skull_Howl - Lost City Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, if it really bugs people they can just turn off customizations. I used to run around with customizations off all the time cause my internet was so bad it would lag. I'm at college now though so the internet is good in the dorms. I can see people's customizations now =D

I'm in college as well but the Internet here sucks. >: As far as what was said above this post, no offense to the GMs but it seems to involve not wanting to deal with any real work. Of course, many would say that they are busy but I highly doubt that they are all busy at the same time. Any player that has seen a GM and/or has even been in a squad with one can see the same thing. To make such a task as having everyone resign the ToS simpler, make it where when the client first opens, the ToS are there to be read again and you must sign it before you can proceed to the actual game. Simple add-on to the client or any other feature involving the PWI product or website that wouldn't take up too much time.
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    Asgardeus - Sanctuary Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    *bumps*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mimiroppu - Heavens Tear
    Mimiroppu - Heavens Tear Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    IMO, if they can deal with us screaming about stupid changes they do(IE: Ignoring us constantly...), why not hassle every player into signing a new ToS. It would most likely only consist of pressing a button that says "I agree". Someone in this thread just said the EU servers can do it. They're brand new. PWCN can do it fine, too. What's so different about the PWI US servers? It's like we're being side stepped for so much. I wonder how the US servers would feel if EU got their EG R9 before we did. :/ We're like their pack monkies, I guess... Lol...
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    ...Probably just about everyone.b:chuckle

However, it is in PWE's ToS that editing files in any way is illegal.

Section 9 part d - "...you agree not to engage in... (d) modifying, adapting, altering, enhancing, or otherwise making any derivative uses of any Games, game content or other Proprietary Materials, or any portion thereof"

This is something that every player had to agree to when they first created their account. To change this rule would be to change their ToS, which would mean that every single player would again have to "sign" the ToS. PWE apparently doesn't want to have to deal with the hassle involved.

But Kritty, to play on the EU servers, I only have to log into them, with this same account. I did not have to sign a new ToS to login those servers where .ini edits ARE allowed.
    So sorry, but that argument is invalid b:surrender

EDIT: and this...
    2. Changes to terms

PWE may amend these Terms, the Rules of Conduct, and any EULA at any time in our sole discretion. Amendments and modifications will be effective immediately after publishing them on the Website or otherwise providing you a copy thereof, and you waive any right you may have to receive specific notice of such changes or modifications.. You agree to and are responsible for checking this Agreement, the Rules of Conduct and any EULA periodically so you will be familiar with their contents as they may be amended or modified from time to time. By continuing to use any portion of the Service, you are signifying your acceptance of any revised or updated terms. . If you do not agree to the amended terms, you must stop using the Service.
    If I'm not mistaken, that says they can change these terms anytime they want to. If you don't like their new terms, tough luck, go quit. .-.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited October 2011
    EDIT: and this...

If I'm not mistaken, that says they can change these terms anytime they want to. If you don't like their new terms, tough luck, go quit. .-.

Woops, big miss on my part there.b:shocked

That basically says they don't have to warn you when/if they change their ToS, it's on you to figure out if they change it. Nice find, Hazumi. However, my point still stands: That part isn't changed, and for this division of PWE (the US servers), I doubt it ever will.

...Not to say one can't always hope.b:chuckle
  • Yami_ - Dreamweaver
    Yami_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Really there's no harm in pick a hair from another race, use the human color in tideborns (almost everyone do that, then start to ban the sins that we have), other race eyes and etc.

I think that a barbarian with hair It's the dream of all the WB's *-*
    edited October 2011
    Really there's no harm in pick a hair from another race, use the human color in tideborns (almost everyone do that, then start to ban the sins that we have), other race eyes and etc.

I think that a barbarian with hair It's the dream of all the WB's *-*

You can legally pick a human skin tone for a tideborn o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    I've strongly considered going to the EU servers just cause its allowed. I've just been on DW for sooo long and all my stuff is on that server, so it would be a hassle to start over. I'm also in the US, so it seems kind of stupid to go to the EU servers cause then none of the events would be timed correctly for me.

._.
    edited October 2011
    I've strongly considered going to the EU servers just cause its allowed. I've just been on DW for sooo long and all my stuff is on that server, so it would be a hassle to start over. I'm also in the US, so it seems kind of stupid to go to the EU servers cause then none of the events would be timed correctly for me.

._.

I can't say I haven't thought about it. But it would also mean playing on a server where stuff is either French or German. The times would be great for me since I'm from Europe. But I would have to leave my friends behind and chars I've worked hard on. ._."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This should not be on page 2.
  • Baby_pho - Heavens Tear
    Baby_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I suport this. plz allow b:cute. People should be able to customize their character however they want to without being threatened to be ban or what not.
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »

You make it sound realy hard... It's nothing more then just changing some text, send out mails, and have everyone press the "accept" button just once... b:surrender

Honnestly I don't see why GM's can't take about an hour to make newer presets for older classes themselves or giving legal codes get better eyes or hair something on old races... That way we can look better but the GM's can still decide about what's allowed... I for one would love it if we where allowed to have those gorgeous manga-like Earthguard eyes on older classes... b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    _Ghoul_ - Lost City Posts: 973 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    just do it not like u will EVER get banned i still see the f_ucked up mistic since eg expansion come out and he not goten banned yet so do it.

when i do not see his face in lost city ill belive gm even care for edit.ini files untill then its just words.

i knew liek a biljion ppl using ini files and they still playing like usual gm never come to lost city or maybe lost city is more like eu server and its allowed b:pleased.

i even dared to see if my barb got bann got mohawk hair and EG eyes on my barb didnt get any ban.

reseted to normal barb preset after two months no BANN gm do not exist and have not existed since 2009b:pleased THE endb:pleased.
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    just do it not like u will EVER get banned i still see the f_ucked up mistic since eg expansion come out and he not goten banned yet so do it.

when i do not see his face in lost city ill belive gm even care for edit.ini files untill then its just words.

i knew liek a biljion ppl using ini files and they still playing like usual gm never come to lost city or maybe lost city is more like eu server and its allowed b:pleased.

i even dared to see if my barb got bann got mohawk hair and EG eyes on my barb didnt get any ban.

reseted to normal barb preset after two months no BANN gm do not exist and have not existed since 2009b:pleased THE endb:pleased.

Nice... But with my luck... I'd rather know what the penalty is if one does get cought... I wouldn't mind to be locked out for a few days but I invested so much time in my characters (on the same account) that I don't wanna risk a perma-ban... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    '____' *bumps*

I'm preparing something~ *goes back to work*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    *sigh* bump :/
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2011
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    So I keep hearing 'Oh, but it's only a few editing ini files :o'.
    I gave it a shot. Went around arch on my server one day, screenshotting everything that's not where it belongs to. And interestingly, it's more and in more places than before.

The old compilation made my Vinat a good while ago here.
    Notice the mega fat cleric?

This is how my up to date list looks. Yep, there's our fat cleric again lol Also, we got male chars on the list, even a barb.
    Seems like it's not that uncommon at all.

So now.. that obvious ini editing is stronger than ever. Why not just allow it? Genotypist answered that.

Quote from that post: "Just simply deciding a threshold can take time and research, which comes at an opportunity cost -- nevermind the ensuing opportunity cost of permanently enforcing these rules."

So basically the answer is that they're too lazy/cheap to enforce rules.
    However, the EU servers are allowed ini editing unless it's giving you an advantage somehow. (source)
    How does that work? I could go play any time on an EU server and still be used the same ToS. But on the same hand the ToS state that PWE can ban you for whatever reason they wish. So basically for everything. They wouldn't even have to change the ToS to allow ini editing.

So now that the Chinese, even our EU players are allowed to do it legally, and more than enough people do it on here already without getting banned: Can we please have either the rule enforced for everyone or just get the green light? No game advantages gained from it.

I know for sure, I will keep fighting so that one day we can legally get the pretty new looks of the newer classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Yami_ - Dreamweaver
    Yami_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Your updated list is badass *-*
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2011

This is how my up to date list looks. Yep, there's our fat cleric again lol Also, we got male chars on the list, even a barb.
    Seems like it's not that uncommon at all.

+1 to pretty eyes and hair on kitties. D=
    And other people too of course. <.<
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    blegh looking for this thread and accidently almost went to lower depths 1 instead.
  • BriarFoxy - Raging Tide
    BriarFoxy - Raging Tide Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2011

How about you guys make another rule change that would make the players happy and make this version more like the chinese one? Allow us the liberty and freedom to ini edit our characters.

UPDATE:
    Here is a copy of the proposed Bill of INI Editing Rights, written by _blood_rain

Yes the editing ability in this game is terrible. But INI editing??? It Ain't happening folks. Have rank amatures going into game system files is only asking for more problems than they can handle. How about adding all the styles to the interface that makes those changes already.

I have long thought the color chart should be replace by a more flexible full spectrum of colors and shades. Have a color chart with a shade chart and also a color number system. So you can Find your colors by using the charts get the number and next time plug in the number and get the right color every time.

Now I'm going to push envelope a bit but this would also be get for fashions. Instead of the screwed up way they do it now. why screwed up? Have you ever tried to match a fashion color to ne the the system naturally gave another fashion that you have? Good luck if it even comes close. I don't even care if they still have a way to charge you for the color.
    It would be extremely nice if you could use a simple full spectrum color chart system to match your fashions colors then to be able to produce that colored fashion just the way you see it. Sales would go through the roof. When I first started to play thats what I thought I could do. Even thought I thought the color chart was primitive and limited I thought I was going to get the fashion just the way I had made all the color adjustments. But no way, it ws all a big waist of my time.

We give them all these great ideas and what do we get? More Paks and slightly different versions of the same thing.
    I have to say they do introduce some nice things once in a while but the cheesiness out weighs the good stuff. Sorry PWI but I think you could do better.
    Rise to Become Mighty so on the Wings of the Leviathan We will Soar....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!" He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought -- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!--Poem part by: Lewis Carroll
  • Ninuska - Lost City
    Ninuska - Lost City Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    everyone should go click yes >_>
    I want hair with the yellow flower on my veno so much b:cry
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2011
    People who are already inexperienced are doing it. It would be better if it was allowed so that a guide could be posted to make sure people do it correctly. Since pwi isn't going to fix their character interface, it's only logical to change the rules to allow people to do it themselves.
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2011
    Bop to the top. Lol
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited November 2011

Fixed. And I approve of this message (+ proposition) b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Safeng - Sanctuary
    Safeng - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    *bump* (:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.