Change the rules for INI edits

Options
Vinat - Sanctuary
Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Suggestion Box
So PWI took away medals of glory so that we can be more like the chinese version where things are hard to get. They also arbitrarily changed the multiclienting rules virtually overnight.

How about you guys make another rule change that would make the players happy and make this version more like the chinese one? Allow us the liberty and freedom to ini edit our characters.

It harms no one, and it doesn't impact anything in the game in any negative or un-balancing way.

As is, there are hundreds of toons running around ini edited for EG or TB hair or eyes. Some are being banned, while others are not. There was this one guy that i sent multiple tickets about over the course of a year (for him having tideborn hair) and nothing was ever done to him or about it. Yet some people are getting banned now for putting earthguard eyes on their other classes. This is a gross injustice.

So yea, PWI, you have no way of actually fully enforcing this pointless rule, similar to the way you couldnt enforce your multiclienting rule. The multi rule was changed because mechanically the game allowed for multiclienting. The same goes for INI editing. The game mechanically allows for it within margins of what the game can display. It's time to update your rules to conform with reality, as you have already demonstrated you are capable of doing.

UPDATE:
Here is a copy of the proposed Bill of INI Editing Rights, written by _blood_rain
As the current rules stand, harmless INI edits are not handled justly. Some people are banned for benign modifications, while others are left alone after repeatedly being reported. GMs themselves can use advanced modifications. There is obviously no harm in the modifications we want to be able to do, and thus no necessity for this unjust, unequal, and inconsistent enforcement that is in practice today.

If, hypothetically, the GMs were to start equally banning every player who used an INI edit on their game characters, then quite a large percentage of the game's population(paying customers) would be banned. The current rules against INI edits are simply inappropriate, outdated,and unenforceable.

Other versions of this game have allowed INI edits; and as far as we know, which in this subject is pretty far, there is no reason why the moderate edits listed shouldn't be allowed here.

1. We want to be able to put any race's hairstyles and facial hair, such as that of EG's and TB's, onto any other classes/races.

2. We want to be able to modify our eye textures.

3. We want to be able to freely modify our skin, eye, eyebrow, hair, facial hair, lip, and eye makeup colors using any dimensions of the colors given on the full spectrum.

4. In accordance with the common idea, body size INI edits would not be allowed as they have the potential to be abusive.
Post edited by Vinat - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Fully supported.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It depends on the kind of editing. The game would look pretty ugly really fast if you allow characters with extreme proportions but I don't think anyone really minds earthguard / tideborn hair or eyes.

Edit: example of what I don't want to see http://i.imgur.com/21dPZ.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It depends on the kind of editing. The game would look pretty ugly really fast if you allow characters with extreme proportions but I don't think anyone really minds earthguard / tideborn hair or eyes.

Every 10x running around with the same weapon looks uglier to me.
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The game would look pretty ugly really fast if you allow characters with extreme proportions

And then we'll have the funniest beauty contests ever seen on the pixel world b:victory
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Yeah, agreed. I guess they just don't want to allow people messing around in the game files because they might mess up something? That seems like the only logical reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yeah, agreed. I guess they just don't want to allow people messing around in the game files because they might mess up something? That seems like the only logical reason.

No, unfair advantages, like the famous TT exploit.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Every 10x running around with the same weapon looks uglier to me.
    This.

I honestly have a neutral opinion on INI edits. This game offers plenty of customization options already (except for barbs). The hair, I'll give you - and they should allow every character to have the hair texture option (y'know, the straight/wavy/rainbow/etc). But I don't see how the inability to make a stick-figure character or a fat barb is a cause worthy of a crusade.

I also do not agree with allowing EG third-eyes on other chars. o.O C'mon, that's like their only identifying feature. And yes, I'm aware that there are ways to make pseudo-human EGs (and TBs, for that matter), but to put EG eyes on a human is just going to confuse the newbies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The hair is worth a crusade!
  • Bunnybites - Harshlands
    Bunnybites - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    "here was this one guy that i sent multiple tickets about over the course of a year (for him having tideborn hair) and nothing was ever done to him or about it."

You tried for a year to have someone banned because of his hair? I guess I enjoy the game differently, but to each his own. Have fun.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This.

I honestly have a neutral opinion on INI edits. This game offers plenty of customization options already (except for barbs). The hair, I'll give you - and they should allow every character to have the hair texture option (y'know, the straight/wavy/rainbow/etc). But I don't see how the inability to make a stick-figure character or a fat barb is a cause worthy of a crusade.

I also do not agree with allowing EG third-eyes on other chars. o.O C'mon, that's like their only identifying feature. And yes, I'm aware that there are ways to make pseudo-human EGs (and TBs, for that matter), but to put EG eyes on a human is just going to confuse the newbies.

i meant eye texture, not the third eye.

and yea ast, i wouldnt want to see that kind of thing either.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i meant eye texture, not the third eye.

and yea ast, i wouldnt want to see that kind of thing either.
    I stand corrected then, I assume you meant the third eye because I wasn't aware of any eye-modification going on with INI modification (frankly, I assumed all chars' eyes were pretty uniform o.O).

Rectoactive /agree with Ast, also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • SinfuINature - Harshlands
    SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i want a blood red character... or atleast blood red hair...
  • Arhil - Heavens Tear
    Arhil - Heavens Tear Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I stand corrected then, I assume you meant the third eye because I wasn't aware of any eye-modification going on with INI modification (frankly, I assumed all chars' eyes were pretty uniform o.O).

I haven't seen anybody ini-modifying the eyes yet either, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

And yes, there is an obvious difference in the texture and detailing of the EG's eyes compared to the old classes, if you stand them next to eachother. The old classes' eyes look very plain and blank, compared to the highly detailed newer ones.

I'm in favor of what was already said here as well. "Extreme" cases like the posted example shouldn't be allowed, but simple things like hair swaps shouldn't be an issue.
    Don't mind me, I'm just here for the free food!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

If you look at EG eyes, then other races eyes, you'll see the EG ones are much much nicer.
    Here's my wizard: http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu168/sockofdeath/PWI/2011-04-1815-18-16.jpg
    And my mystic: http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu168/sockofdeath/PWI/2011-04-1815-18-59.jpg
    See?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • Judo_ - Sanctuary
    Judo_ - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I've witnessed tons BMs and Archers with EG / TB hair on Sanctuary, and I honestly don't see any problem with it...

...it causes no harm and no foul. Some people actually look better with the different hair IMO. Though my BM was customized specifically for the all class hair. I don't even want to think about the EG thing on him b:shocked

I personally don't care about what people do with their chars, because when I'm in combat I focus on my party and myself, not aesthetics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Though my BM was customized specifically for the all class except for barbs hair.

PWI is racist i say! Barbarians should at least be allowed to have a spartan helmet. I mean c'mon guys >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Maybe you're all just looking for some affirmative action for those racists. b:chuckle
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    They should allow ini.editing providing its like, not giving anyone an advantage, like a super skinny character that you have a hard time clicking perhaps, the really screwed up character edits, could do without, I'd be fine with them letting us have the ability to edit RT/EG hair/eyes onto the older characters and vice versa.

I don't see any legit reason onto why we couldn't in the first place as its quite messed up, the older chars just look totally outdated whilst the newer chars just look much better, plus it doesn't do any harm to game balance now does it :/.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Supported. Change the rule or we'll.....well.....just QQ more about it I guess.
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Even if they allowed that (yeah riiiight) there would be numerous threads made that somebody doesn't like something in other characters` appearance, etc, people are NEVER satisfied what they have. b:bye
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The multi rule was changed because mechanically the game allowed for multiclienting. The same goes for INI editing. The game mechanically allows for it...

Monopoly also "mechanically" allows for Fuzzy to reach into the bank and grab a few extra properties when no one is looking, but just because he can, does that mean the panda should be allowed to do it? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    Monopoly also "mechanically" allows for Fuzzy to reach into the bank and grab a few extra properties when no one is looking, but just because he can, does that mean the panda should be allowed to do it? b:chuckle

Yes it does. Five finger discount. b:thanks
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So yea, PWI, you have no way of actually fully enforcing this pointless rule, similar to the way you couldnt enforce your multiclienting rule. The multi rule was changed because mechanically the game allowed for multiclienting. The same goes for INI editing. The game mechanically allows for it within margins of what the game can display. It's time to update your rules to conform with reality, as you have already demonstrated you are capable of doing.

I think the thing with the multiclienting was that before the update, multiclienting wasn't possible directly through the front-end of the launcher, even though it was still possible via other means (which realistically didn't require any changes to game files). So likewise, certain character edits aren't mechanically allowed through the front-end of the character customization menu (though can be achieved through the back end and actually do require edits to game files). I can certainly see your argument though that the game itself will actually display the edits, but those edits aren't achievable without altering game files. I don't see the harm in people having different customization options available to them, but by the same token I feel as though it would be more proper if the customizations were made available in game without it becoming a case of "modding" so to speak.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • ShoeFury - Sanctuary
    ShoeFury - Sanctuary Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I support. I once went playing with the ini settings on PW-MY... Managed to make a barb with hair and beard, he looked hilarious b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Joined Aug 2008 on HT--
    Just lurkin' the forums these days and makin' occassional stupid posts
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think the thing with the multiclienting was that before the update, multiclienting wasn't possible directly through the front-end of the launcher, even though it was still possible via other means (which realistically didn't require any changes to game files). So likewise, certain character edits aren't mechanically allowed through the front-end of the character customization menu (though can be achieved through the back end and actually do require edits to game files). I can certainly see your argument though that the game itself will actually display the edits, but those edits aren't achievable without altering game files. I don't see the harm in people having different customization options available to them, but by the same token I feel as though it would be more proper if the customizations were made available in game without it becoming a case of "modding" so to speak.

I agree completely. However I also know that the Devs or whomever are lazy and it's highly unlikely we'd ever get that extra tab in the customize screen to pick traditional eye texture or EG eye texture. The hair styles tho.. it'd just be a matter of adding all styles to all classes' hair menus.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't see the harm in people having different customization options available to them, but by the same token I feel as though it would be more proper if the customizations were made available in game without it becoming a case of "modding" so to speak.

Advanced Makeover Scroll coming to a boutique next to you!!! For a mere $25 b:surrender
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    There is a default veno hair preset I believe with pure red hair that can't be made with the in game editor. By basing a character off of this preset you can get red hair on any character without editing ini files.

PWI can just create a bundle of approved presets that feature the TB/EG hair that everyone wants which will let people have the hair and not have to break the TOS by editing INI files.

Maybe someone should create the preset pack themselves and ask PWI to include it along with the current presets (I think these presets came from a fan contest anyway).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Maybe someone should create the preset pack themselves and ask PWI to include it along with the current presets (I think these presets came from a fan contest anyway).

If PWE is strict about it, isn't that just asking for a ban?
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If PWE is strict about it, isn't that just asking for a ban?

Ast brings up yet another great point. Quite a few of those presets that the game itself provides were made with ini edits for coloring. Ironic. Didn't the people who made/submit those win some sort of prizes? Basically for doing a "bannable offense?"
  • Judo_ - Sanctuary
    Judo_ - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    PWI is racist i say! Barbarians should at least be allowed to have a spartan helmet. I mean c'mon guys >.>

Yeah I agree that they should have a helm!!!

They should put little hole openings in the spartan helm so your whiskers can breathe too b:pleased

I'd think above all classes that barbs should be able to wear the WHOLE spartan outfit more than any other class you'd think b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.